10+ Year Old Account

How are they going to squish professions?

Anyone know how they're going to do it?

For instance, if I have an alt with 708 skill, how would that translate into the stat squish? If I have it maxed at 800? If I have a level 30 with a level 100 tradeskill profession, would that already make him maxed out? Sounds silly if so.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

If I had to guess it would probably just be based around the achievement breakpoints that already exist for professions and squished in similar intervals.

I imagine it working similar to pandaria cooking with "way of...", each sub segment of professions (in this case, each expansion content) will be parallel instead of pyramided on top of each other. So you'd have 100 in for example blacksmithing, then 8/100 in legion blacksmithing and 0/100 in bfa blackmithing. Skilling legion blacksmithing won't be necessary or help in bfa blacksmithing. That's how I imagine it working. Now will that prove to be true, I don't know, beta isn't even out for public yet.

It sounds so fucking convoluted.

"Well classic goes 1-300 and then each other one is 1-75"

How about they start by making half the professions in this game actually worth having instead of fucking around with the skill level system

Supposedly it works like Pandaria cooking where every expansion will have it's own skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuchika View Post
    It sounds so fucking convoluted.

"Well classic goes 1-300 and then each other one is 1-75"

How about they start by making half the professions in this game actually worth having instead of fucking around with the skill level system
    If potions, flasks, glyphs, pets and mounts, mog looks, 900 gear in most slots, 935 shoulders, and whatever the engineering goggles aren't considered 'worth having' I don't know what to tell you. Remember that most people don't raid.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    If potions, flasks, glyphs, pets and mounts, mog looks, 900 gear in most slots, 935 shoulders, and whatever the engineering goggles aren't considered 'worth having' I don't know what to tell you. Remember that most people don't raid.
    Yeah you're right I'd much rather spend tens of thousands of gold on garbage crafted gear that I have to upgrade for even more gold than just go out to argus and punch out some rares and buy better gear with argunite.

The only point you have is with flasks and pots and even then alchemy has always been a useful profession since day one of vanilla. Citing engineering goggles as something "worth having" shows me that on top of having no idea what you're talking about you obviously have never tried to actually make any gold with an engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuchika View Post
    Yeah you're right I'd much rather spend tens of thousands of gold on garbage crafted gear that I have to upgrade for even more gold than just go out to argus and punch out some rares and buy better gear with argunite.

The only point you have is with flasks and pots and even then alchemy has always been a useful profession since day one of vanilla. Citing engineering goggles as something "worth having" shows me that on top of having no idea what you're talking about you obviously have never tried to actually make any gold with an engineer.
    Who was talking about making gold? Your question was 'what valuable things can be made with professions.' If the only thing you care about is making gold then obviously some professions will be better than others.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I think it is misleading to call the profession changes a 'squish'. The ilvl and stats of the profession items that are made will reflect the big squish that is happening, but most of the documentation I have seen does not say professions themselves are squished - instead within each profession there are separate categories for classic (0-300), burning crusade (0-75), wotlk (0-75), cataclysm (0-75), mop (0-75), wod (0-100), legion (0-100) and bfa (0-100). I hope this means that people can change professions each expansion and only have to level for the new expansion.