Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    We recently had to alter our stance on this. Previously as a HC only guild we were very relaxed and we had regular rerollers and people would bring alts as soon as their mains were pretty much geared.

This expansion has been particularly punishing for alt rerolls, and we found after stepping into Mythic ToS that it could potentially slow us down by allowing people to reroll or bring alts to our heroic farms.

* TF means that mains can always potentially get upgrades from heroic.
    * People were perhaps taking liberties with alts, bringing scarily low ilvl chars to heroic mode for a gearing fast track. This annoyed the members who were committing to a main
    * Even with good item level, I've had to have a few conversations along the lines of "Look man, my DPS would be better if I had the appropriate legendaries" to which I can only respond with "sticking to a single main would have netted you all of the legendaries by now..."

So for now, we're a "mains only" guild. It probably upset a couple of people but I feel it's for the greater good. When we have the time for alt raids, I'll arrange them accordingly.

If somebody absolutely hates their character to the point they would quit WoW if they couldn't reroll, then I would expect that they use PuGs to get themselves appropriately geared before switching.

Of course this all changes if the Guild requires somebody to reroll, due to a roster change or a severe FOTM issue. These instances seem few and far between though at our level of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    Don't start to welcome alts, it will piss those who are carrying them and they will enventually leave because you are slowing them down.

If you starting bringing alts, it should be for progression purposes, otherwise it just means you need to stop raiding this difficulty.

Especially with Titanforged gear.. you don't want those alts getting 950 gear.
    Not all people want to increase the difficulty. Some want to keep roster size small, others don't want to replace friends over better players that join the guild, some don't want to be replaced themselves, and others just stress over the difficulty. Mythic raiding is not for everybody.
    Though there are guilds that clear hc pretty fast, and if they don't want to do mythic (for whatever reason) the only real thing left to do is to reroll, fool with alts or take a break. Obviously rerolling during progression is not desired, but once the thing is on farm who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm part of a small guild on a small server who raid. Over the years the more progress hungry players and guilds have left our server looking for a larger pool to draw from, leaving a fairly stagnant population.

We got together a team and were working well for a while and moving at our own pace. The rule has been that everyone sticks to one character for the raid while we are progressing unless we need to swap someone out for a different role or utility. We are never going to be racing for worlds first -or indeed targetting mythic as a guild; though we have a number of players who are capable.

Recently, a few players joined us and felt that the rule was unfair. At the moment, we are not able to put forward a full alt run which would mean that key players would have to stick to mains (loot locked from our progress run) in order to run a guild second raid.

I'm curious as to how other guilds treat the issue of alts? We are not saying a blanket no, just not while we are progressing. We're also not stopping people from changing mains but as with bringing alts, asking that they wait until we've got a clear before changing.
    Unfair in which way? It's dumb to bring alts to progress unless you're a hardcore split-raiding guild. They will only hinder progress because they are weaker and will spread the loot.

In my guild there's one farm raid per week where alts are allowed, but none are allowed for progress nights. Alts have the lowest priority for loot, they basically can only roll when no mains or trials want the gear.