Thread: The Orville

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The one thing I have a problem with in the last couple of episodes is how fearful, cruel and illogical a race claiming to so advanced is.

They are clearly hyper intelligent and not part of a hive mind, so why did none of them see that murdering an entire race and non advanced life is wanton violence.

I would have been more impressed if there were secretly dissident khaylons keeping people from the builder race alive, perhaps those who were children at the time of the incident.

Extrapolating that insticnts of self preservation, instincts to protect the tribe and instincts to hoard resources from historical records of the distant past as proof that all biological life is evil and needs purging leads itself to a hypocritical outcome as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    The one thing I have a problem with in the last couple of episodes is how fearful, cruel and illogical a race claiming to so advanced is.

They are clearly hyper intelligent and not part of a hive mind, so why did none of them see that murdering an entire race and non advanced life is wanton violence.

I would have been more impressed if there were secretly dissident khaylons keeping people from the builder race alive, perhaps those who were children at the time of the incident.

Extrapolating that insticnts of self preservation, instincts to protect the tribe and instincts to hoard resources from historical records of the distant past as proof that all biological life is evil and needs purging leads itself to a hypocritical outcome as well.
    1> A planet having one single climate or an alien species having one political viewpoint is a (stupid) staple of Star Trek, which The Orville is largely based on/parodies.

2> Prejudice is inherently stupid. Advanced technological capacity doesn't protect you from being prejudiced and stupid. The Kaylons were arrogant and stupid, and frankly, plenty of nations have acted in similar ways in the past. The Kaylons aren't better than everyone else. They just think they are, because they're anti-biological bigots. That's the entire point.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    1> A planet having one single climate or an alien species having one political viewpoint is a (stupid) staple of Star Trek, which The Orville is largely based on/parodies.

2> Prejudice is inherently stupid. Advanced technological capacity doesn't protect you from being prejudiced and stupid. The Kaylons were arrogant and stupid, and frankly, plenty of nations have acted in similar ways in the past. The Kaylons aren't better than everyone else. They just think they are, because they're anti-biological bigots. That's the entire point.
    I got the point, I'm making a subtle narrative critique of a show that I love.

Simply I believe it would have been more compelling if they had leaned into the things that actually are superior about the Kaylons rather than making them into comically flawed villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by raogrimm View Post
    Still not DS9 episode can compare to "Pale Moonlight"
    I agree, In The Pale Moonlight is one of the greatest episodes in scifi history. Sisko and Garak were awesome. And while The Orville has improved a lot it simply doesnt have actors and writing on that level.

Quote Originally Posted by deepr View Post
    I agree, In The Pale Moonlight is one of the greatest episodes in scifi history. Sisko and Garak were awesome. And while The Orville has improved a lot it simply doesnt have actors and writing on that level.
    To be fair you aren't going to get a character/actor like Garak but once in a long long while.

I mean, why take their word for it? It's basically just Kaylon anti-biological prejudice. They exterminated their creators, and see all biological life as inferior as a result.

The resolution was pretty cliche, didn't stray far from what you'd expect, but I will say that the battle scenes were pretty damned spectacular. More going on there than you see in these sorts of shows, usually, in a way that really made it feel like an all-out battle.
    While true, the show did a pretty good job keeping up the illusion of them being better than everyone else with just the zoo people even coming close to them technology wise (I think).

Its pretty obvious that the resolution was going to be cliche considering this is Seth's love letter to Star Trek and Gene Roddenberry's version was always about hope.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if the Kaylon's are supposed to be parodies of the Borg or what now. They did a pretty good job making the Moclans a parody of the Vulcans. I used to think Issac was just supposed to be Data but now I'm kinda leaning towards Seven of nine.

While the episode was pretty predictable it was a good episode and its always nice to hear Scott Grimes singing and have Bortus doing Bortus stuff. But part of me was wondering if with how easy it seemingly was to replicate everything if Malloy was going to end up replicating her as a living person. Would have been interesting to see the consequences of that happening play out and whether not you would tell the copy that it wasn't the original person or how an adult suddenly waking up 400 years in the future would react and stuff.

And its cool to see Tuvok again I don't think I have seen Tim Russ in anything in like 5-6 years. I hope he ends up in more episodes.

I love how they don't just focus on one or two people on the show and everyone gets their own episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    While the episode was pretty predictable it was a good episode and its always nice to hear Scott Grimes singing and have Bortus doing Bortus stuff. But part of me was wondering if with how easy it seemingly was to replicate everything if Malloy was going to end up replicating her as a living person. Would have been interesting to see the consequences of that happening play out and whether not you would tell the copy that it wasn't the original person or how an adult suddenly waking up 400 years in the future would react and stuff.

And its cool to see Tuvok again I don't think I have seen Tim Russ in anything in like 5-6 years. I hope he ends up in more episodes.

I love how they don't just focus on one or two people on the show and everyone gets their own episodes.
    Agreed. I also am happy it isn't trying to be Game of Thrones. Don't get me wrong I really like GoT but it is nice when not every TV show is trying to be GoT - Star Trek addition, and GoT - Wheel of Fortune addition if you know what I mean. It feels like every show out there is trying to be the GoT - "of what we are".

Episodic TV isn't dead. It is just Serial TV has come into its own and that is great. It is good to see it is doing well. I sure wish CBS would have taken this path with its show instead of where it went.

Seeing Russ was great too. Good to see he is doing well.

Nice episode, just like the previous one.

It seems like more and more people from Star Trek are getting involved in this.
    Brannon Braga, Robert Duncan McNeill and Jonathan Frakes directed episodes (the last one this season is Frakes again).
    And as actors we've seen Robert Picardo, Tim Russ, who did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by deepr View Post
    Nice episode, just like the previous one.

It seems like more and more people from Star Trek are getting involved in this.
    Brannon Braga, Robert Duncan McNeill and Jonathan Frakes directed episodes (the last one this season is Frakes again).
    And as actors we've seen Robert Picardo, Tim Russ, who did I miss?
    The crazy guy from the Picardo episode was John Billingsley who played Doctor Phlox.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post

The Tuvok cameo was nice mostly because in a very odd way he came up as a topic in raid and nobody except the person that mentioned him and myself knew who he was. Everybody else were sticking to their guns that we must have been talking about Spock.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Well said from a HUMAN viewpoint.

Stupid gripe about the newest episode. Why did the time. Capsule get opened on the ship? I mean I understand it needed to for the plot but it didnt make sense. Either the capsule was found on Earth and was staying on Earth so there was no need to take it into space or it was found d on Earth and going someplace else which means it should have remained closed. It just seemed weird to me. I understand it was for the sake of plot but logically it made no sense.

Loved the Bortus sub plot. I had a friend tell me before I watched about Bortus getting addicted to something in the episode. I saw the Minecraft disk and thought that would be it because strip mining virtual worlds seems like a very Moclan thing to get addicted to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    Stupid gripe about the newest episode. Why did the time. Capsule get opened on the ship? I mean I understand it needed to for the plot but it didnt make sense. Either the capsule was found on Earth and was staying on Earth so there was no need to take it into space or it was found d on Earth and going someplace else which means it should have remained closed. It just seemed weird to me. I understand it was for the sake of plot but logically it made no sense.
    They didn't explain where it was found. Plot-wise, it would've made sense if it was a near-2010s era (so not really different from today), but had been fired into space, and someone happened across it centuries later.

Beyond that, I agree; it makes no sense, the Orville would have no reason to be involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got the feeling ot was being taken to a museum/research institute for study much like we do with archeological finds today..just instead of shipping say a find from one continent to another for better equipment/experts in given fields they ship to other planets

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I got the feeling ot was being taken to a museum/research institute for study much like we do with archeological finds today..just instead of shipping say a find from one continent to another for better equipment/experts in given fields they ship to other planets
    Right... but shipping doesnt involve opening. It just seemed kinda dumb as an excuse plot to let Gordon have his weird romantic fling with a hologram of a dead chick. Like Endus said if they found the time capsule floating around in outer space it would have atleast made a little more sense.

They didn't explain where it was found. Plot-wise, it would've made sense if it was a near-2010s era (so not really different from today), but had been fired into space, and someone happened across it centuries later.

Beyond that, I agree; it makes no sense, the Orville would have no reason to be involved.
    The reason it was on-board was because they had the archaeologist come visit the Orville and he happened to have it.

programmer wise point of view, it would be really easy to just delete/change involvement in the end of Greg? (like make in saying no to be back to her) and Gordan keeping all the chick personality and her as boyfriend

but y, plot drama

The old lets make sense of the sci-fi show game. A long time tradition in insanity. Everyone will need a cigarette after this for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike` View Post
    programmer wise point of view, it would be really easy to just delete/change involvement in the end of Greg? (like make in saying no to be back to her) and Gordan keeping all the chick personality and her as boyfriend

but y, plot drama
    Except that the entire program is derived from her data. Removing Greg removes a big chunk of that data, and that changes her. That's the point.

If he's going to keep tweaking her program until she's "perfect", then it's no different from making a digital "girlfriend" in the simulator, which was always possible. And you can tell that nobody thinks highly of someone who's idea of an ideal girlfriend is a totally subservient minion you're in complete control of.

The entire point of the endeavour was that none of this was programmed in; it was as close to "real" as you could get in the simulator.