Thread: The Orville

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    Orville seems so much more like Trek than Discovery does. :-/
    Because sadly, it is.

The Orville is coming to Comedy Central. Can't even find an online source for this, but I'm positive it was announced on Comedy Central itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deepr View Post
    The Orville is coming to Comedy Central. Can't even find an online source for this, but I'm positive it was announced on Comedy Central itself.
    Ugghh i REALLLLY hope not as i watch it on hulu and ditched cable..and viacom just goes f you ti EVERY digital service they team up with..just gods no..

Well if the Orville gets cancelled at least it ended on a pretty solid note.

I really enjoyed this week's episode. Overall it's been a great season and I hope it gets renewed for another.

Last episode was alright for me. Overall Season 2 was good, yes.
    I'd watch a third season, but honestly, I wouldn't really mind if it didn't happen. I think they've reached their maximum potential and I have my doubts the show can grow further.
    I'm more interested in the next season of The Expanse.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Well if the Orville gets cancelled at least it ended on a pretty solid note.
    I believe that is why it ended that way it did. If they knew they were renewed for a third season, it would have ended with the explosion and left us pondering.

- - - Updated - - -

Last episode was alright for me. Overall Season 2 was good, yes.
    I'd watch a third season, but honestly, I wouldn't really mind if it didn't happen. I think they've reached their maximum potential and I have my doubts the show can grow further.
    I'm more interested in the next season of The Expanse.
    Here's the thing with most shows, they hit their stride in season three, especially for McFarlane. The third seasons for FG, AD, and the Cleveland Show were some of his best work. Season 3 of TNG was one of the better ones, same for DS9, and Voyager. But this is a different climate for TV.
    Last edited by SirBeef; 2019-04-27 at 11:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Here's the thing with most shows, they hit their stride in season three, especially for McFarlane. The third seasons for FG, AD, and the Cleveland Show were some of his best work. Season 3 of TNG was one of the better ones, same for DS9, and Voyager. But this is a different climate for TV.
    It's one of the unfortunate shifts in viewership; if your first season isn't amazesauce, people throw fits. And that's not how we used to evaluate this stuff.

Go back and watch Season 1 of Star Trek: TNG again. It's terrible. Like, "arguably worst single season of any Star Trek series ever made" terrible. Worse than ST: Enterprise. Worse than ST: Discovery. Enterprise in particular really picked up in season 3 and 4, but was already basically doomed because the first two seasons were only okay. Discovery, we're only two seasons in, but most people agree S2 was a big improvement over S1.

Let the show find its feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's one of the unfortunate shifts in viewership; if your first season isn't amazesauce, people throw fits. And that's not how we used to evaluate this stuff.

Go back and watch Season 1 of Star Trek: TNG again. It's terrible. Like, "arguably worst single season of any Star Trek series ever made" terrible. Worse than ST: Enterprise. Worse than ST: Discovery. Enterprise in particular really picked up in season 3 and 4, but was already basically doomed because the first two seasons were only okay. Discovery, we're only two seasons in, but most people agree S2 was a big improvement over S1.

Let the show find its feet.
    I could be wrong but TNG and them had long initial runs, not just a season to see if it would pan out correct?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    I could be wrong but TNG and them had long initial runs, not just a season to see if it would pan out correct?
    Even now, they don't usually plan for just one season, but shows are always up for being cancelled if viewership sucks. TNG was helped by the fact that it carried the Star Trek name and there wasn't a lot else filling that demand at the time, so viewership was decent through S1, even if the writing and a lot of the ideas were terrible. The cast was also amazing, and are due a ton of credit for polishing the turd that was S1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really enjoyed season 2 and hope it gets picked up for another season. Going back and watching season 1 you realize just how much they toned down the comedy in the second season. Really reduced the random outburst "family guy" style jokes and any humor in S2 is more just characters making the occasional pop culture references or quips.

My one negative is it still feels like MacFarlane is just trying to recreate next gen. So many episodes are almost direct remakes of TNG episodes. I just want to see them do more original stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Really enjoyed season 2 and hope it gets picked up for another season. Going back and watching season 1 you realize just how much they toned down the comedy in the second season. Really reduced the random outburst "family guy" style jokes and any humor in S2 is more just characters making the occasional pop culture references or quips.

My one negative is it still feels like MacFarlane is just trying to recreate next gen. So many episodes are almost direct remakes of TNG episodes. I just want to see them do more original stuff.
    To be fair to TNG, that's gonna be hard. TNG covered a lot and many of the social issues that TNG covered in the 90's are the same social issues that we're still dealing with today.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Kelly / Adrianne Palicki has such a gorgeous face (and those eyes!) but I think she's a little bit on the thin side. Probably not unhealthy thin, but I dunno, her legs seemed really skinny in that outfit.
    Anyway, it's just an observation, she's beautiful.
    Would you have said that if she was fat? (Ofc you will say yes because i put you on the spot...)
    Thin-shaming might be one of the dumbest things ever

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    To be fair to TNG, that's gonna be hard. TNG covered a lot and many of the social issues that TNG covered in the 90's are the same social issues that we're still dealing with today.
    Plus, they're tackling issues TNG never chanced. Gender identity and transgenderism, with the Moclans (Bortus' daughter-then-son episode particularly). Religious extremism as a large ongoing threat (the Krill) along with possible routes through it (Mercer and Teleya's complex relationship). Non-morphological romance rather than just between species that have some different facial architecture (Yaphit). Bureaucratic bullshit through multiple episodes (Starfleet was always presented as basically perfect, outside of traitorous admirals occasionally).

I think seeing Orville as just a TNG retread is unfair to the Orville. It's clear it's using that as a baseline for entry, but it's quickly stretching beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    Would you have said that if she was fat? (Ofc you will say yes because i put you on the spot...)
    It was an observation about her body. Nobody is being shamed and the chances she reads this forum are near zero, so take your PC nonsense elsewhere.
    Last edited by deepr; 2019-04-28 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    Are you brain shaming them now?!?! Odd how so many start out a cluster of compliments only to squeeze in some negative things too. Normally I would say we shouldn't sexualize any of them and just enjoy the show for the show, than we had the last episode where she was running around in that low cut top and push up bra so it would seem the show doesn't agree with me.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

It was an observation about her body. Nobody is being shamed and the chances she reads this forum are near zero, so take your PC nonsense elsewhere.
    Oh.. you might want to check my other posts. Im far from PC so you failed hard with that attempt buddy

My only problem with the season finale was that it didn't have a scene of Dann and Tharl going Rambo on a bunch of Kaylon. Like if they had had Tharl and Dann come swooping in and saving the day instead of the black hole thing it would have been a perfect season/series finale.

Hope it gets picked up for a few more seasons.

Episode 14 contained a number of confusing and poorly thought out technical points, like their ship could go inside an event horizon for some reason but couldn’t take the water pressure faced at the bottom of the ocean. All that stuff isn’t really a deal breaker, any science fiction show will undoubtedly have some mistakes in astronomy and physics as well as accompanying techno-babble, what is an issue is how cliched the episode was. It featured so many troupes, Ed Mercer is the most important person in the galaxy, everyone wants him to be captain despite not knowing him, he gets the girl despite the ridiculous circumstances surrounding them, etc.

That being said, I felt like episode 13 featured a decent take on time travel. Usually a character is moved into the past or into the future, I can’t think of any Star Trek episodes where a present self coherently interacts with a past self. It offered some different perspectives on what it means to be successful. That seems to be about where the show is currently in its storytelling, they begin to explore an interesting idea but they can’t quite get out of the way. It reminds me of Doctor Who, in that the show may begin with an interesting idea but it generally isn’t followed through as the story tends to devolve into a sort of the Doctor always wins resolution.

Even with that being said, I’ve enjoyed the show so far and hope it gets picked up. I don’t think they’ve topped out yet in terms creating interesting stories.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    Episode 14 contained a number of confusing and poorly thought out technical points, like their ship could go inside an event horizon for some reason but couldn’t take the water pressure faced at the bottom of the ocean. All that stuff isn’t really a deal breaker, any science fiction show will undoubtedly have some mistakes in astronomy and physics as well as accompanying techno-babble, what is an issue is how cliched the episode was. It featured so many troupes, Ed Mercer is the most important person in the galaxy, everyone wants him to be captain despite not knowing him, he gets the girl despite the ridiculous circumstances surrounding them, etc.

That being said, I felt like episode 13 featured a decent take on time travel. Usually a character is moved into the past or into the future, I can’t think of any Star Trek episodes where a present self coherently interacts with a past self. It offered some different perspectives on what it means to be successful. That seems to be about where the show is currently in its storytelling, they begin to explore an interesting idea but they can’t quite get out of the way. It reminds me of Doctor Who, in that the show may begin with an interesting idea but it generally isn’t followed through as the story tends to devolve into a sort of the Doctor always wins resolution.

Even with that being said, I’ve enjoyed the show so far and hope it gets picked up. I don’t think they’ve topped out yet in terms creating interesting stories.
    The SHUTTLE had a hard time underwater the orville was good even with no to minimal shields