Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    ive had a 24hour suspension for using the word faggot in response to some1 throwing 20 racial slurs per sentence at me...

Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    Just use the word "stupid" and avoid getting caught up in the controversial aspects that accompany a word like "faggot." If you don't care about any of that, continue to use gay slurs and don't be surprised when homosexual people express their offense. Accept the social consequences and move on. Just understand that you are on the wrong side of history on this topic.

- - - Updated - - -

I never attended Berkley. It doesn't take a college degree to understand how offensive the use of a slur can be. Its in blizzard's best interest to remove toxicity like that from the community.
    It is as offensive as you want it to be. Anyone that plays MOBAs or MMOs has been called something at some point. Does the opinion of some random person who's ass you probably just kicked offend you that much? Now if they PERSIST, ie stalking, then yeah report their asses. But I'm sure most of them say it in the heat of the moment then feel guilty afterwards, but that's just my opinion.

And right now a college degree isn't worth jack shit when you see the kind of nonsense that goes on on college campuses nowadays. Assaulting people for wearing material indicating that they support Trump, disrupting people simply because they have a different opinion and my personal favourite, clamping down on Halloween because some costumes could deemed as inappropriate or "appropriating" someone else's culture...When you got shit like that coming out of YALE you know that they're been drinking some funky Kool-Aid.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I've reported like 7 people today for making homophobic comments, I've reported more than I can count in the past yet nothing seems to ever happen to them. Why are they not being removed from the game?
    Perhaps you want to familiarize yourself with Blizzard's policies on punishment... then you MIGHT be able to grasp what is happening.

First time offenders aren't ever likely to be removed from the game, nor are 2nd time ones. If that is what you are wanting or expecting, It isn't going to happen.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    It is as offensive as you want it to be. Anyone that plays MOBAs or MMOs has been called something at some point. Does the opinion of some random person who's ass you probably just kicked offend you that much? Now if they PERSIST, ie stalking, then yeah report their asses. But I'm sure most of them say it in the heat of the moment then feel guilty afterwards, but that's just my opinion.

And right now a college degree isn't worth jack shit when you see the kind of nonsense that goes on on college campuses nowadays. Assaulting people for wearing material indicating that they support Trump, disrupting people simply because they have a different opinion and my personal favourite, clamping down on Halloween because some costumes could deemed as inappropriate or "appropriating" someone else's culture...When you got shit like that coming out of YALE you know that they're been drinking some funky Kool-Aid.
    Slurs are considered worse than general insults. They have a long history of being used by a group of people to express hatred for another group and impose unjust attacks on them. No one here is saying: "stop all insults." People are saying discourage the use of slurs.

Just use a different less charged word in your flame war and move on. No reason to insult a group of people when you are arguing with a specific person.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

Slurs are considered worse than general insults. They have a long history of being used by a group of people to express hatred for another group and impose unjust attacks on them. No one here is saying: "stop all insults." People are saying discourage the use of slurs.

Just use a different less charged word in your flame war and move on. No reason to insult a group of people when you are arguing with a specific person.
    Fair enough point as long as it applies to ALL groups...and not just select groups like how it appears to be. Also so long as no one tries to take offense FOR another person.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

A bundle of sticks is homophobic???

Report them. The system will do its job and everything will be okay. In the meantime, maybe people getting asked if they like dick in their ass could stop being such overt flaming faggots? Like i get flamed for my voice because its super raspy and low pitched with a strong southern accent. Ya know what I do if i get tired of getting flamed for my voice? I enunciate like a motherfucker and try to curb the twang.

People are going to be assholes. Its the internet. Report, mute, play single player games, stop talking like the dick is actually in your ass at the moment, these are all reasonable solutions

Homophobic comments is not shit talking.
    always has been and always will be. you can't be competitive and be such a baby when it comes to trash talking

reporting nowadays is just a low effort/low IQ way to get back at people, it's exactly what people who report everyone pretend they're trying to get rid of, it's pathetic

you're being a baby
    Last edited by snitcher geralt; 2017-09-14 at 04:44 PM.

I think they do. You don't see much f*ggot or n*gger in chat so I assume people that use those words get banned quickly. It's probably almost an automatic ban if you use those words to insult people.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    If someone just calls something gay - I won't get upset. If they start asking if I like dick or not in a negative manor like they have and in other ways, that is what im referencing as the problem, when it's used in a negative context.
    How do you ask that in a positive/negative manor?

Which one of these is negative? And which is positive?

Do you like to take dick up your butt?

Do you like to take dick up your butt?

I mean, unless you are ashamed of what you are doing, I don't see how you can take that as a negative? Wouldn't you just shut them down by basically saying you are proud to be who you are? You could even say 'Damn right I do! And you wish you could have a piece of this!". This would shut most people up, only the most determined trolls would keep at it.

Also, FYI, most games/platforms have the ability to block voice chat of other people. If you don't want to hear them, block them.

Most people want the attention, to feed their victim complex. You see it all the time with people on social media crying about how mean people are, yet they are not blocking them. They like the 'pity party' they get for crying about the abuse they are getting.

What's the point of having a report system then?
    To eventually, in the long term, compile enough reports against someone that action can be taken if they severely breach the TOU. And also to keep people who apparently don't get enough of trying to exercise social control over other people they don't know at their colleges another outlet for their "super smart" tendencies.

I've reported like 7 people today for making homophobic comments, I've reported more than I can count in the past yet nothing seems to ever happen to them. Why are they not being removed from the game?
    What exactly are they saying that offends you so? I don't think they are being homophobic, I think you are being logophobic.

What's the point of having a report system then?
    Quit being a faggot and ignore it, really.

Infracted - Flaming
    Last edited by xChurch; 2017-09-15 at 06:01 AM.

People don't log in to throw "homophobic" comments around randomly, the root of the problem is far deeper. What makes these people say that? It's not a hate for the LGBT community. It's because people in that game seriously play like giant pussies and cowards. And the go-to words of our generation happen to be homophobic slurs.

If the game promoted respectable and skillful play over stupid fucking shit like turrets POTG and Winston zero accuracy automatic free dmg shit (put Symmetra, Soldier's ult, Dva as a whole and Reinhardt beyond screenwide assassination in the same basket) people wouldn't be so triggered.
    BTW I'm absolutely not talking about balance or what's overpowered and underpowered, these are just mechanics that should not exist in a competitive FPS game.

Every single hero needs to have the same difficulty and they should all require the player to aim in order to deal dmg. The moment you give one hero something that requires less talent than another for the same (or most of the time MORE) results, someone will be victim of this lack of balance, someone who would otherwise probably win by skill instead of getting rock/paper/scissor'ed on the losing side of bad game design.

The game literally promotes shitty playstyle and punished people who man up, it's wrong as fuck. Fix the game, it will fix most of the toxicity problem.

EXACT SAME situation in all MOBAs cuz none of them are anywhere close to balanced and also promote cowardly playstyle over manning up.
    You don't see this high level of toxic behavior in games like Rainbow Six Siege, CS:GO, Battlefield, most fighting games, etc. (sure there's some, but it's nowhere near as bad)

Toxic players are always toxic for a reason, sure they could tone it down, but they don't go off like that out of nowhere. Bad games bring bad community, simple as that.

EDIT, PS. You can reread my post and everywhere you see something that looks negative like "cowardly playstyle" and replace it by "f*gg*t playstyle". It wont change the meaning of what I say in the slightest, it will look homophobic becases of the word used even if it's taken entirely out of context.
    In this video Bill Burr explains pretty well why homophobic slurs are used so often and why we shouldn't get overly offended by that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3O7b6lqo-I
    People just take things out of context cuz they WANT to be offended, they are looking for reasons to cry.
    Last edited by Swalload; 2017-09-14 at 05:30 PM.

I don't get how some people seem to think that it's nigh impossible to play competitive games without spewing insults. Like it's something that everyone does, not just arseholes, and that it's just peachy. Smells like bullshit excuse to not seem like one. It might be fine among our friends, but it doesn't work like that with most strangers. I don't do it, nobody I know does it, and in fact the majority of the randoms I play with/against don't do it. While the ones who do are loud and everywhere, it's still only one to few people per match out of twelve, and they're not in every match, which makes them definite minority, not majority. So no, it's not the common norm among everyone nor should it be, and an arsehole is still an arsehole. (Unless your experience is drastically different in that regard, but I kinda doubt that. Assuming you're not the inciter yourself, of course, because then it'd be obvious how you see it all the time.)

Naturally everyone gets tilted sometimes, but you can easily keep it to yourself or between your friends instead of throwing your shit on strangers, it's not that hard. Not to mention if you happen to steamroll (or just get a hard win), there's really no reason to try to put the enemy team down for it other than to be a little dickhead. You already won, just be happy with that.

Peace out.

Just use the word "stupid" and avoid getting caught up in the controversial aspects that accompany a word like "faggot." If you don't care about any of that, continue to use gay slurs and don't be surprised when homosexual people express their offense. Accept the social consequences and move on. Just understand that you are on the wrong side of history on this topic.

- - - Updated - - -

I never attended Berkley. It doesn't take a college degree to understand how offensive the use of a slur can be. Its in blizzard's best interest to remove toxicity like that from the community.
    Stupid is offensive to stupid people. You are on the wrong side of history if you believe it's okay to use that word. /S
    Don't contradict yourself.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're part of this new generation of people that can't differentiate between the two. This new implied sensitivity to everything is just exhausting for all parties involved. News Flash : Most people are not hateful homophobes. But there are words that have similar meaning to the derogatory definition that have been used for many generations. It's not going to change overnight, this month or this year. That doesn't mean people are hateful.

https://www.bu.edu/today/2014/when-w...ist-or-sexist/

^ This article is a perfect example of people implying hatred in words where hatred didn't exist.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Looking at the closed thread on the front page, seems like they are doing something about it ahaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please forgive my language, it's just used to illustrate a point.

Too be honest, I think that 99% of all people who use words as "faggot" or "gay" or similar to insult someone, does not mean it in any homofobic way.

They are just words meant to insult and cause harm cause the guy saying them is pissed.

There is an excellent South Park episode, called "The F word" that depict this perfectly. In that episode, inconsiderate Harley Davidson riders are the new definition of a fag and not a homosexual. The same thing kind of applies in video game insulting.

When a guy say "you f*ing fag" he is really saying "you f*ing idiot" and not "you f*ing homosexual". The word doesn't mean what it has mean before and homosexual people are not a target of hate as much as you might think.

Still, if anyone take offense from this OR from anything else people say, whether its homofobic, racist etc, ask yourself, do you really care what some guy on the internet say about you? Yes, it's a problem, but not that big a problem. Like who cares what some guy on the internet say. Just ignore it, very simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Please forgive my language, it's just used to illustrate a point.

Too be honest, I think that 99% of all people who use words as "faggot" or "gay" or similar to insult someone, does not mean it in any homofobic way.

They are just words meant to insult and cause harm cause the guy saying them is pissed.

There is an excellent South Park episode, called "The F word" that depict this perfectly. In that episode, inconsiderate Harley Davidson riders are the new definition of a fag and not a homosexual. The same thing kind of applies in video game insulting.

When a guy say "you f*ing fag" he is really saying "you f*ing idiot" and not "you f*ing homosexual". The word doesn't mean what it has mean before and homosexual people are not a target of hate as much as you might think.

Still, if anyone take offense from this OR from anything else people say, whether its homofobic, racist etc, ask yourself, do you really care what some guy on the internet say about you? Yes, it's a problem, but not that big a problem. Like who cares what some guy on the internet say. Just ignore it, very simple.
    Then they need to learn to say “you fucking idiot” instead. Because using words that are homophobic will make them both look homophobic, and reinforces homophobes views that being homophobic is okay, and worse a ‘correct’ world view. You just need to take these words out of your lexicon, plenty of other derogatory terms have disappeared from everyday use for being racist, there’s no defensible position.