1. #1

    Is the first expansion going baseline with the next expansion?

    Question in title. Is the first expansion going baseline with the next expansion? Or do I need to buy both to play the second expansion?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Question in title. Is the first expansion going baseline with the next expansion? Or do I need to buy both to play the second expansion?
    I really doubt it as you get a small discount on Heart of Thorns if you order it with Path of Fire.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Question in title. Is the first expansion going baseline with the next expansion? Or do I need to buy both to play the second expansion?
    No it isn't. But you don't need HoT to get Path of Fire

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Question in title. Is the first expansion going baseline with the next expansion? Or do I need to buy both to play the second expansion?
    No. Just like GW1 the expansions are separate but it'll be discounted
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

    I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

  5. #5
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Question in title. Is the first expansion going baseline with the next expansion? Or do I need to buy both to play the second expansion?
    it's not.

    You need to buy HOT seperately if you wish to have it.

  6. #6
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    it's not.

    You need to buy HOT seperately if you wish to have it.
    Easy to say. I don't have any kind of credit cards, i can only buy HoT with physical Money, but since HoT is no longer available in my country (I've checked many game shops, nothing), i have no idea how do i get it for physical money ... I have no problem finding WoW expac, base game and Time cards btw.

  7. #7
    Deleted
    I thought what they announced when HoT came out was that you would only pay for the latest expansion? Have they gone back on that? I.e the last expansion becomes part of the baseline game.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaraj View Post
    I thought what they announced when HoT came out was that you would only pay for the latest expansion? Have they gone back on that? I.e the last expansion becomes part of the baseline game.
    they never said that, it was a misconception by wooden potatoes (I think) that spread like a rumor.

    They are following their same model from GW1 where each expansion is separate from each other and the story is different. Their like books essentially
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

    I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

  9. #9
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    they never said that, it was a misconception by wooden potatoes (I think) that spread like a rumor.

    They are following their same model from GW1 where each expansion is separate from each other and the story is different. Their like books essentially
    I didn't imagine it:

    "For Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, we didn’t want the core game’s price to be a factor in a new player’s decision to begin playing Guild Wars 2. In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price."

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/p...unity-address/ - under the business model paragraph. They did say it.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaraj View Post
    I didn't imagine it:

    "For Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, we didn’t want the core game’s price to be a factor in a new player’s decision to begin playing Guild Wars 2. In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price."

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/p...unity-address/ - under the business model paragraph. They did say it.
    No they said they will offer the core game and latest expansion in ONE SINGULAR purchase price. They never said the word free at all.

    And they did make everything one single price if you want all the expansions.

    It was random community advertisers that started using the word free and making people think otherwise
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

    I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer Razael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,869
    Question is.. is it worth getting HoT for someone that stopped playing GW2 after the end of season 2?

    Recently got a new PC and already blazed through Legion, Secret World Legends and Wildstars more recent updates.

    Reason i ask is that im aware most of HoTs content and Maps were not that solo friendly and i assume it will only feel worse now.

  12. #12
    The Insane PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    18,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    Question is.. is it worth getting HoT for someone that stopped playing GW2 after the end of season 2?

    Recently got a new PC and already blazed through Legion, Secret World Legends and Wildstars more recent updates.

    Reason i ask is that im aware most of HoTs content and Maps were not that solo friendly and i assume it will only feel worse now.
    The only map that isn't solo friendly is DS unless you're trying to 100% meta events. Even then they'll probably only die down for a few months and then become healthy again.

    Do you want gliding? HoT specs? Gear? To play through the story? Then its worth it. The $50 bundle isn't bad at all.

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer Razael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    The only map that isn't solo friendly is DS unless you're trying to 100% meta events. Even then they'll probably only die down for a few months and then become healthy again.

    Do you want gliding? HoT specs? Gear? To play through the story? Then its worth it. The $50 bundle isn't bad at all.
    Good point. Yeah I'll probably get it. Even if i dont 100% it , theres alot of stuff there.

  14. #14
    Deleted
    They fooled us, since we who once bought vanilla had to buy it again with HoT, and they said this is the new way and next expansion would include HoT, it didn't happen, trololo :P

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    They fooled us, since we who once bought vanilla had to buy it again with HoT, and they said this is the new way and next expansion would include HoT, it didn't happen, trololo :P
    Ok, let me put it this way. Full Expansion: $49.99 which is the same as last time. Discount for people who own Heart of Thorns = $20.

    So you are in luck. If you already own HoT then you get to only pay $29.99 for the expansion. That's really generous of them. Giving the people who bought HoT a $20 discount.

  16. #16
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Ok, let me put it this way. Full Expansion: $49.99 which is the same as last time. Discount for people who own Heart of Thorns = $20.

    So you are in luck. If you already own HoT then you get to only pay $29.99 for the expansion. That's really generous of them. Giving the people who bought HoT a $20 discount.
    Exactly, this is what we wanted when Hots arrived, but then the people who only had vanilla gw2 had to buy it again (since there were no discount).

  17. #17
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Exactly, this is what we wanted when Hots arrived, but then the people who only had vanilla gw2 had to buy it again (since there were no discount).
    why would you buy an expansion if you dont have the base game tho

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkingPeanut View Post
    why would you buy an expansion if you dont have the base game tho
    In the lead up to HoT, they dropped the price of the base game to $10. Then when HoT released, they included the base game with it. (They also did the F2P version somewhere in here.) So some that bought the base game felt that they were lied to since they were not told they could just wait until HoT released in order to get it for one price. They felt they were "paying" for the base game with the $50 HoT price tag and being double charged. Anet ended up giving a character slot to those that owned the base game before HoT to make up for this perceived slight.

    They made some statements during HoT that they intended to make expansions included for a single price, which sounded like "old expansions will be included" but I guess they meant "old expansions will be included at a discounted single total price".
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

  19. #19
    Deleted
    GW2 xpacs seem to be taking a similar model of the GW1 campaigns in wich they are not required for you to play a different xpac, nor to get the best gear in the game. So, it is unlikely they will give it out for free.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    Question is.. is it worth getting HoT for someone that stopped playing GW2 after the end of season 2?

    Recently got a new PC and already blazed through Legion, Secret World Legends and Wildstars more recent updates.

    Reason i ask is that im aware most of HoTs content and Maps were not that solo friendly and i assume it will only feel worse now.
    You will not rush through HoT. You need to unlock the masteries to have acess to every area, but if you mean just the main story, yes, you can do in a couple of days. If you want to follow the story you would have to go through LW season 3 aswell, and thats gonna take you a few more days (again if you only care about the story). But those maps give you acess to ascended pieces and it's a good idea to farm them.
    You do want HoT though, because you want the Glider and the elite specs. Of course, you can make do without it, but it's too convenient.

    To answer, the story is soloable, but the maps are tough and the map meta's obviously need alot of players. But every map feels populated.

    I can add that the Auric basin and dragon's stand meta's were some of the most fun i've ever had in an mmo. Especially the dragon's stand final boss.
    Last edited by mmoc80be7224cc; 2017-09-19 at 03:26 PM.

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer Razael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,869
    Hmm. I'm already in Sirens Landing on the latest LS episode. Only map i didnt 100% was Dragons Stand because my Gliding wasnt good enough at that time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •