Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Does anyone else struggle to have time to play games?

I mean if you work more than a 40 hour week, have kids to take care of and try to share the chores equally with your partner... there's not much time or energy over for anything. Now I've been wanting to play for weeks but haven't managed to get a single session in for example. Then I spend time on here and some other sites to read/watch videos about video games, most of which I haven't even played (because I can surf at my work computer no problem) so sometimes it feels like my hobby is more reading and following various video games moreso than playing them now which is bizarre. Anyone in the same boat?

Welcome to adulthood , personally with 50 hours a week work anytime i find free at home i spend it on SLEEPING , i dont even have kids yet and i dread the day i do !

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't have any kids but still don't feel like spending hours on a game. It does sometimes happen on weekends though but during the workdays I prefer to play quick games, like Rocket League for example. Most matches in Rocket League last 5 minutes and you can actually have a lot of fun by playing only for 30-45 minutes. It also feels like you've played enough for the day. It's also very relaxing and fun and makes me laugh. That game is simply magical and pure gold for us who don't want to play much.

Deleted
    I usually play at night when the kids and mostly the wife is asleep and on every other sunday. I play WoW for a few hours a week, rest of my time i play Overwatch and some ps4 when the wife passed out on the couch.

But yeah, my days of playing every new game for a long period of time have been over for a while now.
    The last of us is still laying unopened in the drawer.

Deleted
    Hey that's how it goes. Want to have a life? Don't have kids. You're supposed to spend your time on your children. I mean, that's your responsibility. You made them, so you bring them up, as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Hey that's how it goes. Want to have a life? Don't have kids. You're supposed to spend your time on your children. I mean, that's your responsibility. You made them, so you bring them up, as well.
    That's a given! I'm by no means complaining about being a daddy. Cuddling with my daughter (1,5 years old) beats anything else in life so it's all gravy. Sometimes I just miss the teenage/university days when I could literally game away entire days no problem, but it's not that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Domoda View Post
    I mean if you work more than a 40 hour week, have kids to take care of and try to share the chores equally with your partner... there's not much time or energy over for anything. Now I've been wanting to play for weeks but haven't managed to get a single session in for example. Then I spend time on here and some other sites to read/watch videos about video games, most of which I haven't even played (because I can surf at my work computer no problem) so sometimes it feels like my hobby is more reading and following various video games moreso than playing them now which is bizarre. Anyone in the same boat?
    I, too, am in the same boat. I have two kids which i love, and it is important that we be "all there" for our children and our SO. So yeah, you're doing the right thing. Video games aren't going anywhere, and we can play them when the kids are older. =)

I make time for my jamming sessions.

As in, I've avoided marriage and children for now over 30 years. The one girlfriend I had, I dumped because I couldn't get enough of my sweet mistress -- that is of course gaming.

I've already decided if I'm ever to become married, minimally, she'd have to be a nutter like myself. Otherwise I'm okay dying single and childless. I'm not a fucking breeding facilitator. That is not my designation in life. It does not dictate nor demand of me. Simple as that really.

In other words, be true to yourself. If kids is what you always wanted and of course a wife, well, then you made the choice to push games into the background. That's cool. Reaffirm that and be happy with it. Once they start wandering out of the nest more, as Fibby said, then you can go back to your old hobby.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2017-09-08 at 04:04 PM.

If you work full time and have any relationship game time is a complete disinterest when you DO have free time finally.

Recently bwcoming single again much to my relief confirms never getting married is personally my best option as are continuing into my mid 30s with no leech sucking children.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's one of the perks of being a loser with social anxiety. You're not attractive enough to get the attention of women and other people don't care about you because of how boring you are in conversations. Very little friends, no responsibility of entertaining a girlfriend. It's nothing to brag about but at least I have time to play my vidyas while also having a full time job. Don't know what I'd do without them. They really save the day sometimes.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2017-09-09 at 01:55 PM.

I have a problem where I'm having trouble finding time for other games besides wow. Working Bout 20 hours a week IRL then streaming and playing wow probably close to 40. Not a ton of time left after all that, but there are so many games I wouldn't mind trying.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Your problem is having kids. I mean you essentially have to have a job to afford luxuries like playing video games. You don't need to have kids. My wife and I made that decision years ago. We'll focus on our careers, make money, have lots of free time, retire early (if we want too), and then have even more free time.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Once they get older its a much easiter on the time factor, harder on the emotional part thought lol.

Not really, aside from reading its what i do to relax, i dont watch tv at all bar like maybe two series a year on netflix so its really all i use a tv for.

Even when I just had a weekend job and was working like 15 hours a week I found myself increasingly browsing and discussing games more than playing them.

Now that I'm working every day of the week I find my free time is split between watching shows, dabbling a bit in games, and sleeping. I literally have no energy for kids so I have 0 clue how people do it.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2017-09-09 at 03:28 PM.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. It happens, but it just makes the time you have with your games all the more precious

Between a full-time corporate job (aka 70-80 hours a week) and a full-time girlfriend. It's a miracle I can even turn the PC on let alone game :/

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I have the opposite problem. I have more than enough time to play, I just never can find much to play, nothing seems to scratch that itch. I'll start something up, play it for about an hour, get bored, start something else, get bored, etc.

Currently my evening bounces between XCOM 2, Path of Exile, and Age of Wonders III. I leave XCOM because I'm tired of shit missions popping up so fucking much, waiting on construction or research being done, but get stuck doing those stupid missions. I usually quit Path of Exile because something really, really fucking stupid kills me, making me lose all the fucking experience I just spent the last hour grinding. I quit Age of Wonders because I have so much I need to get done but the AI turns are taking a few minutes each and I get fucking tired of waiting. On rare occasions I will fire up SkyrimSE, and I am usually fine for a while until one of two things happens: The game crashes and I lose hours of work, or I start doing familiar quests and get really fucking bored remembering the literal hundreds of times I've done the starting quests because I love to mod and have to start over every time I had something major, which usually happens about the point I get ready to head up the mountain.

Wow, I got way off topic, sorry about that. But I guess that proves my point. I work 8 hours a day, very easy, laid back job, I come home and play games for about 7 hours, stopping to eat in there somewhere. I have no close family (as in, no kids, no wife), none of my friends live nearby, and I'm constantly broke as I'm now having to pay for a 2 bedroom apartment all by myself because my shitbag of a roommate seems to have died or disappeared or something. So I'm stuck at home or I'm at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Enjoyed reading the responses and it's interesting to see some people in the same boat and some poeple in the opposite situation (more time than games).

I do agree with the fact that the time you can eventually play is more precious though. Back when I was single and living alone (university years) I had so much free time I could go to the gym every day, watch all TV shows and movies I wanted, watch 5-6 soccer games every weekend and play games the rest of my free time as much as I pleased. But I would still somehow manage to get bored then, "what should I do now?" without finding something to stimlute enough /hit the spot.

Now I don't really have that problem any more because when I do have time there's always something I've been waiting on to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Domoda View Post
    Yes, absolutely. I don't have kids, but I'm in a relationship and pursue very time-consuming activities of personal growth (martial arts, music composition). I can only hardly keep up with that while working +40h, so there's a constant time and energy problem and something has to take a back seat. This means that other than a few hours of WoW here and there, gaming is mostly out of the window for me.

We just happen to live in this manic society that for some reason thinks it needs to work itself to death. Work is the real problem.