Mounts that don't scale properly

I managed to obtained a few of the mounts from Argus recently, and their size relative to the player has me scratching my head a bit.

On one hand, the Vile Fiends seem abnormally huge. Most of the time we see them in game, they are much smaller, and they are represented as much smaller creatures (they are weak, often come in groups, except for the rares they aren't elite mobs), but the mounts are larger than gronnlings if you don't count the saddle and look like they could snap a mammoth in half. I don't usually dislike large mounts, but these seem a bit off the mark.

On the other hand, and a lot more disappointing, Mana Rays are way too small. Just like the old Nether Rays and Dragonhawks, larger characters wearing robes cover the mount's head in flight. You could say not every mount has to work well with every race, but this time the model has reins indicating what the real scale should be. and you can see they are nowhere near the character's hands:

https://imgur.com/IVQgNyA

How much more awesome and majestic would these rays be if they were the size of the ones flying around on Mac Aree?

This is not the first time mount scaling was off. In WoD I believe they actually fixed them (the wolves used to be tiny). so I hope they will at least fix the Mana Rays. It's a shame when the model is cool but scaling and sometimes animation speed ruins it.
    Last edited by Coconut; 2017-09-10 at 12:04 PM.

I actually like how large the Vile Fiends are. They look they could eat a Talbuk whole. I would be disappointed if that changed.

The Mana Rays on the other hand I agree with. They're far too small, and if they have no intention of having the reins sit anywhere near your character's hands, then just remove them or make them hang over the saddle instead, because having them float in the air or clip through the character's stomach is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I actually like how large the Vile Fiends are. They look they could eat a Talbuk whole. I would be disappointed if that changed.

The Mana Rays on the other hand I agree with. They're far too small, and if they have no intention of having the reins sit anywhere near your character's hands, then just remove them or make them hang over the saddle instead, because having them float in the air or clip through the character's stomach is worse.
    The problem with the fiends is that they already look vicious and agile and we know they're very numerous, if they're also normally larger than a mammoth you have to wonder why the Legion didn't use them instead of the trash demons they've been throwing at us. At that size they look scarier than infernals.

Another side issue is that some of the older mounts that were supposed to be large, like kodos, elekks, mushans, mammoths, etc. now look silly when placed next to some other mounts that are immense by comparison (although I'm still happy they decided to up the maximum mount size with some of the more recent models).

But yes, it's much easier to get over a mount you feel is "too large" because it all boils down to personal taste and other people will like them like that. I wouldn't really mind if they stayed as they are. If they are too small, though, they're basically unusable... And it's not just the Mana Rays, the mage class mount and the turtle from Xur'ios suffer from this as well.

This problem appeared in late cata/early mop with nether rays. Last I played (january 2017) this was not resolved.

Same thing goes with with bugged out xmog that is clipping. Never resolved, and at this point I hardly expect it to be.

Blizzard are too busy adding items on the ptw shop.

The only mount this is a problem with me, is the collector addition fel hound.
    Its so damn tiny... Even after race changing from Tauren, i cant really look at that poor thing carrying my blood elf...

Madness will consume you!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseDay View Post
    Blizzard are too busy adding items on the ptw shop.
    Ptw if your idea of winning is buying mounts that in no way affect how you play the game maybe...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    The problem with the fiends is that they already look vicious and agile and we know they're very numerous, if they're also normally larger than a mammoth you have to wonder why the Legion didn't use them instead of the trash demons they've been throwing at us. At that size they look scarier than infernals.

Another side issue is that some of the older mounts that were supposed to be large, like kodos, elekks, mushans, mammoths, etc. now look silly when placed next to some other mounts that are immense by comparison (although I'm still happy they decided to up the maximum mount size with some of the more recent models).

But yes, it's much easier to get over a mount you feel is "too large" because it all boils down to personal taste and other people will like them like that. I wouldn't really mind if they stayed as they are. If they are too small, though, they're basically unusable... And it's not just the Mana Rays, the mage class mount and the turtle from Xur'ios suffer from this as well.
    Well maybe you are mounting a vile fiend like the "rare" ones, way bigger then the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    Ptw if your idea of winning is buying mounts that in no way affect how you play the game maybe...
    PTW shop is a name, call it 'cash shop' if it makes you feel better.

There are different levels of PTW, some (ignorant) people try to argue that ONLY BiS eq sold can be considered PTW. This is incorrect, as any advantage gained from the purchase is PTW.

Let's break it up for you then;
    Arranged by the severity of PTW:
    3. Mounts & Pets. Perhaps not seen as an advantage at first, but then you look at hc players, who's end goal is achievement pts and mounts & pets collected. At a certain point in the game, any +1 to mount and pet collections are worth a lot. Say two people have 300 mounts each, then one of them goes to buy all the mounts. He is suddenly ahead with 15 or 50 or whoever many fucking mounts they've added to the PTW shop at this point. He is essentially, by late game hc measures, winning.

2. The 100 levels boost. This is self explanatory really, or should be. You're gaining 100 levels over someone who isnt paying. 1 0 0. That is one HUNDRED.

3. BiS EQ. Like I wrote, it's considered by the ignorant people to be the only definition of PTW (which is wrong, PTW has different definitions)
    Best in slot equipment isnt sold on the PTW shop. Yet.

All of the above affects the gameplay by a lot.

10+ Year Old Account

There are different levels of PTW, some (ignorant) people try to argue that ONLY BiS eq sold can be considered PTW. This is incorrect, as any advantage gained from the purchase is PTW.
    This is correct.

3. Mounts & Pets. Perhaps not seen as an advantage at first, but then you look at hc players, who's end goal is achievement pts and mounts & pets collected. At a certain point in the game, any +1 to mount and pet collections are worth a lot. Say two people have 300 mounts each, then one of them goes to buy all the mounts. He is suddenly ahead with 15 or 50 or whoever many fucking mounts they've added to the PTW shop at this point. He is essentially, by late game hc measures, winning.
    Your argument is awful, are you really complaining over mount numbers and achievement points? These are not classed as pay to win, there is not a world first race to x amount of mounts or race to x amount of achievement points! To win implies you gain a competitive edge, someone buying a mount on the store has NO EFFECT on your game experience (unless you count being jealous that they have the disposable income to waste on crap maybe?). Also, what happened to point 1? You went 3 2 3?

2. The 100 levels boost. This is self explanatory really, or should be. You're gaining 100 levels over someone who isnt paying. 1 0 0. That is one HUNDRED.
    And if this was in game from day 1 or you could get max level with it as soon as an expansion/new content launched I would agree, but it's not so I don't. I have most classes at level 100+ so if someone wants to purchase a boost it has no effect on my playing experience whatsoever and likewise if I want to purchase a boost (which I don't because I have more sense than money), it does not have any effect on YOUR playing experience. It just seems like you are jealous of the people that do this.

3. BiS EQ. Like I wrote, it's considered by the ignorant people to be the only definition of PTW (which is wrong, PTW has different definitions)
    This is incorrect. If it has different definitions what makes YOUR definition correct? This also contradicts your previous statement which I agreed was correct that pay to win is any advantage gained from the purchase, that's it, there are no other definitions, its just that.

And it likely never will be unless Blizzard want to make WoW bite the curb and stamp on its head. Wow gets a lot of coverage and publicity from it's end game, high level raiding and even some pvp. The moment that they allow you to buy the gear, the raiding goes away. Who wants to spend 8 hours a day wiping on bosses just to get a few decent bits of gear when some random dude and his mates already bought BiS and can walk through the raid easily?

No it does not. Me having more mounts than you does not affect you, me have more achievement points than you does not affect you, me boosting a character to 100 does not affect you. Do you get it yet? When I have a competitive edge in pvp or pve against you, then it affects you, but until then you can just bitterly inspect my character in game and be sour that I have more imaginary and useless shit than you do.

You can buy them all by playing the game. Your view of pay to win is flawed and you're wrong, it's not even an opinion, you're just flat out wrong.

Hmm, I wonder if my QQ... ehm... constructive criticism thread inspired the latest Dark Legacy comic.

If so, I am truly honored. If not... then the scaling issues with the Mana Rays really are that obvious. I hope Blizzard takes pity on them and makes them large enough not to be squashed by Pandas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's keep this thread on topic, yeah? Thanks guys.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)