Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Do you like the lore of the Guild Wars universe?

Hello champions! Good to see you all.

So, straightforward question: Do you like the lore of the GW2 universe? And by that I mean humans and their (stupid!) gods, Asura and their (awesome!) machines, dragons, locations, tales about past heroes and stuff like that?

I actually love the lore of this game! Of course, I'm no expert, but what's there is very fun, and some places and locations are very interesting and unique, just like GW2 .

And you? Do you like the lore of the Guild Wars universe?

havent played gw2 but i liked the gw1 lore pretty well

Guild Wars 1 had amazing lore. Easily some of the best writing and world building in video game history, especially Factions and Nightfall.

Guild Wars 2? Laughable at best. It comes off more as bad fan fiction (Especially Living Story, ESPECIALLY SEASON 1) of the first game than anything else.

7+ Year Old Account
    The lore isn't great. But I do enjoy the gameplay and world quite a bit.

Guild Wars 2 living story is just fucking terrible writing, so many awful quips. I really hope they get rid of Dragon's Watch as well because they're just as annoying and as bad as Destiny's Edge were. I hope Taimi dies because she's a walking Deus Ex Machina.
    Last edited by Jamie081; 2017-09-02 at 05:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    GW1 had much better lore as everything was instanced based.

GW2 is more adventure oriented with a story to guild you. GW2s story isnt bad, just nothing to write home about. I say its above most MMORPGs because I tend not to care about the story in most MMORPGs, in fact the only ones I've cared about were SWTOR (SW nerd) and WoW pre-Cata. Really not saying much though. When I want story I look to singleplayer games, the gameplay surely makes up for it.

I kind of have high hopes for POF though because its tied of Nightfall.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I kind of have high hopes for POF though because its tied of Nightfall.
    Yeah. Palawa Joko, Kralkatorrik, Balthazar and maybe some Kormir related stuff. Should be a huge throwback to Nightfall.

Deleted
    While the lore isn't that bad (and some of the small tidbits are well thought), the story and narrative is often awful and even the books are nothing but a waste of paper.

I played GW1 for a few months, and GW2 for six months, and I've seen little or nothing of what I would call lore, in the sense of an all-encompassing story, with its history and heros. All I remember from GW1 is something about the Charr destroying the whole world that I loved, at the end of what I didn't even realize was only the orientation phase. After that, the game became tedious and meaningless to me, and I lost interest. I love GW2, for its beauty, vastness and mini-stories, but after 6 months of playing I can't think of anything I know about the overall background of what is happening.

Now I've started reading up on the lore. I don't know what the difference is, but I learned a lot more about the lore in WoW, just from playing the game, than I have in GW and GW2. In GW, I loved the pre-Searing part of the game, but after the Searing the game lost its charm for me and became tedious and boring. All I remember about the lore is that the Charr burned up Ascalon and ruined the game for me.

All I learned about the lore in a few dozen hours of playing an Asura character and a Sylvari character in GW2, is that there's something about a dream, that has something to do with the Pale Tree. I have no idea at all of any lore about the Asura. I've started reading the lore about the Sylvari, the humans and the Charr, but not enough to like it or not like it.

I hope Balthazar is trying to kill Kralkatorrik to absorb his power in order to get revenge on Menzies, who in this theory now controls the Fissure of Woe.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhabegger View Post
    Now I've started reading up on the lore. I don't know what the difference is, but I learned a lot more about the lore in WoW, just from playing the game, than I have in GW and GW2. In GW, I loved the pre-Searing part of the game, but after the Searing the game lost its charm for me and became tedious and boring. All I remember about the lore is that the Charr burned up Ascalon and ruined the game for me.

All I learned about the lore in a few dozen hours of playing an Asura character and a Sylvari character in GW2, is that there's something about a dream, that has something to do with the Pale Tree. I have no idea at all of any lore about the Asura. I've started reading the lore about the Sylvari, the humans and the Charr, but not enough to like it or not like it.
    WoW presents a lot of its lore with the questing. GW's lore (in GW2) is mostly found from the npc conversations, the various books and interact-able objects found in the world. I'm surprised you said that about GW as the missions and quests there provide a lot of the lore similar to how WoW does it. But if you didn't play after pre-searing then that is your answer I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    WoW presents a lot of its lore with the questing. GW's lore (in GW2) is mostly found from the npc conversations, the various books and interact-able objects found in the world. I'm surprised you said that about GW as the missions and quests there provide a lot of the lore similar to how WoW does it. But if you didn't play after pre-searing then that is your answer I suppose.
    I tried, off and on. It was discouraging for me right from the start. It took the longest time for me to even understand where I was, and to get my bearings in post-searing Ascalon. Then when I tried to go to other areas, I just didn't find anything that appealed to me.

When I started playing GW2, I started with an Asura character and a Sylvari character, I couldn't see any connection at all between GW and GW2, in the world, in the story, or in the gameplay. I loved GW2 from the start.

The place that I felt the most connection to, with regards to both games, was Ascalon. I could see how someone couldn't see any connection to GW if they played a Silvari (although I think Silvari are one of the best races I've seen in a game in a long time) since it is GW2 specific. I think there will be much a more nostalgic feeling with Path of Fire, especially if we do end up going to the Realm of Torment at some point and/or Istani.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the fact that they are taking one of the human gods and turning him into an ass. But hey, Thats why i still play GW1. I just try to act like GW2 isnt a thing. Char as an ally? fuck that, For the WALL!
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    I don't like the fact that they are taking one of the human gods and turning him into an ass. But hey, Thats why i still play GW1. I just try to act like GW2 isnt a thing. Char as an ally? fuck that, For the WALL!
    Abaddon says hello

Loved the shit out of GW1 lore, completely disappointed with GW2's at launch, seemed like all the races took a backseat to the Sylvari. Saw a video the other day an' Balthazar or something is now evil and you need to fight him. What about the other dragons? Just taking a back seat now? Not to mention we'll probably never go to Elona proper because it's Icecrown but with sand and Cantha because it's a now a racist, xenophobic fascist dictatorship, both for...reasons.
    /Angry rant over

I actually like the lore. But I think the way the story is driven in gw2 is horrible. Characters are bland, emotionless. Stories feel generic. Your actions seem like menial chores. They are a little better with the living seasons and stuff but still...
    I think the lore is good, but gw2 just isn't good story wise, in my opinion. It had a good base in gw1 and books, but it doesn't deliver. One of the main reasons why I fell off the game.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugnomo View Post
    I actually like the lore. But I think the way the story is driven in gw2 is horrible. Characters are bland, emotionless. Stories feel generic. Your actions seem like menial chores. They are a little better with the living seasons and stuff but still...
    I think the lore is good, but gw2 just isn't good story wise, in my opinion. It had a good base in gw1 and books, but it doesn't deliver. One of the main reasons why I fell off the game.
    I've never played GW1, so I can't say anything about that game, but the living story has improved since the early days of GW2. LS3 was a great campaign, a million times better than the original campaign / living story 1&2. I think that the voice acting is helping a bit, though, and some of the plot (mainly the last chapter of LS3) still looks like fanfiction.

Let's just say that, if GW2 at launch had a 3/10 story, now it has a 6/10 story. Not good, but it improved.

The problem I have with the GW2 lore is the story is far too laser focused. There isn't enough going on in the background, not enough side stories, not enough interesting characters outside of the main cast.