Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Going mage only for teleports- Worth it?

I'm a pretty new player trying to figure out what class I should spring for as my first attempt to level to max. I'm drawn by the teleport and portal abilities of mages, but don't much like the play style after having gone as far as level 15.

Basically, I'm asking if mage teleport is vital for going places, and if there are alternatives. I don't want to find out at level 85 that I can't go back to a continent or region after finishing the story without a mage to portal me there. I see people in chat asking/offering portals all the time. Is it just convenience, or a must depending on where you want to go?

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot of built-in portals in the game these days, mage ports are convenient but not necessary at all.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

They can be convenient, but aren't a huge deal. I wouldn't play a mage just to have access to them, nor would I make a choice on a character 15 levels in. That is like deciding if you like a movie based on the boom mic operators.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

There's more to a mage than just portals. Look at all the good looking robes you get.

If you like the game play of mage sure. Otherwise, not even close to worth it. There's so many built in quick travel and teleport options that I don't miss the teleports on my other classes.

I'd recommend blood death knight.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd agree with what everyone else has said. It might take a bit of work, but you can get certain items that give you a free teleport to different places, like the tabard from the Argent Tournament that will teleport you there and thus a quick and easy way to get to Northrend from anywhere.

Finding the class or spec you enjoy to play is very important. If you don't enjoy your character what is the point of playing? Portals are short cuts at best, they don't take you anywhere you couldn't go without one.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

i suggest using the level 100 trial to find your class personally

I love my mage, but every time arcane is best I bench it.

The playstyle at level 15, or even level 90 isn't the actual play style, that doesn't show fully until the artifact and talents are all available

No, you don't need a mage portal to take you anywhere, there are flight paths, Zepplins and Just standard portals in cities that take you around from place to place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mage portals are really convenient, especially if you want a change of leveling zone you can switch continents easily but as others have said, all that convenience is worthless if you find the playstyle boring. Have you tried all 3 specs?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    have't touched a mage portal in like 5 years. Never needed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerm View Post
    I'm a pretty new player trying to figure out what class I should spring for as my first attempt to level to max. I'm drawn by the teleport and portal abilities of mages, but don't much like the play style after having gone as far as level 15.

Basically, I'm asking if mage teleport is vital for going places, and if there are alternatives. I don't want to find out at level 85 that I can't go back to a continent or region after finishing the story without a mage to portal me there. I see people in chat asking/offering portals all the time. Is it just convenience, or a must depending on where you want to go?
    I wouldn't say it would be the best idea. They are handy but the best is of you liking them as well. There is already many portals in the content around.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Absolutely not. Ten years ago, maybe, but not now.

What you need to do is beg or bribe some 110 Mage to give you a portal to Dalaran - Broken Shore, then set your Hearthstone there. That gives you permanent, instant access to:
    1. All your faction capitals
    2. Vale of Eternal Blossoms
    3. Shattrath
    4. Karazhan
    5. Caverns of Time
    6. Wyrmrest Temple
    7. Dalaran Crater
    8. Ratchet and Dalaran - Northrend via Vale of Eternal Blossoms portals
    9. Blasted Lands and Hellfire Penninsula via capital city WoD portals
    10. Hyjal, Deephome, Twilight Highlands, Uldum, and Vash'jir via capital city Cataclysm portals

You can go anywhere in the world without being a mage and quite fast aswell.

The game doesn't start until you're max level and you might also have to max out all traits of your weapon at max level befor you get a good feel for how your class plays.
    Get a few to max level befor you decide.

You don't need portals though.

Deleted

No, don't. Getting to places will not be a problem. Cities like Dalaran have several portals and you'll end up with 3 Hearthstones at max level, normal one, Dalaran and Garrison.

Dalaran has portals everywhere you realistically need them, and on the offchance that you can't easily get there, you could always join those in trade asking for a mage.
    It's rare;y that useful when doing max level content anyway, since most of that's in the broken isles.

- - - Updated - - -

It's also worth noting that you can't really tell how a class plays until max level (unless it's a BM Hunter).

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha. I picked mage as my first character back in Vanilla because it had teleport, conjured food, and blink.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dont forget the Cataclysm portals in SW/Org, they net you access to some otherwise hard to reach places in Kalimdor. Which is very convenient for Alliance players.