Poll: Can WoW Survive Becoming F2P?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Can WoW Survive Becoming F2P?

Many people have a single subscription based game they pay mothy for, and WoW has been this one for many.
    It creates a sense of attachment and simultaneously prods you to log in so as to avoid a feeling of "wasting your money".

Do you feel something like this? How could this be overcome if ever?
    I played the Turbine games LotRO, Eberron, then other ones like Guild Wars 2, Everquest 2 and Rift - they are good but not superb like WoW.

Is WoW different just because of the subscription or is there something even more to it?
    Last edited by WhiteEagle888; 2017-09-12 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossed View Post
    Many people have a single subscription based game they pay mothy for, and WoW has been this one for many.
    It creates a sense of attachment and simultaneously prods you to log in so as to avoid a feeling of "wasting you money".

I played the Turbine games LotRO, Eberron, then Guild Wars 2 and Everquest 2 - they are good but not superb like WoW.

Is WoW different just because of the subscription or is there something even more to it?
    WoW is different because it's good.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

It is unlikely that we will ever find out. They are still making millions with a subscription and found a way to get people to spend cash to play WoW to get items in other Blizzard games. Changing the token they way they have is brilliant on their part.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by DesMephisto View Post
    Yes but what exactly makes it "good"? Is it the features, the clean interface, the many add-ons or what exactly?
    I know it also depends on the individual so what makes it good for you, for example?

I wish these posts would stop at some point and people would use basic brain.

Just because you dont want/cant afford/cant find a reason to pay WoW subscription doesnt mean the game has to go F2P because you want to play it but dont wanna pay.

No one cares, go back to the F2P games if they suit your needs.

I played most if not all,all those games are a pile of garbage in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by DesMephisto View Post
    Exactly. I have been starting to think the people who make these posts are cheap AF. Trying to strike up a conversation in hopes it builds and leads to people agreeing with them.

It's 15$, if I don't log in, I don't care.

and I am far from well off.

No reason to go F2P when your game survived WoD.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    No thanks, there is no reason to go F2P and there is no benefits either.

And the fact that most games that goes F2P has well, died..

And if you subscribe, WoW is the cheapest hobby you can have.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The only F2P game I really put time into was GW2 (even then you have to pay to buy the game). The game is good, but content doesn't come out as frequent as wow, and the wow content is generally bigger (at least it seems that way to me).

I think you'd need major microtransactions revenue to keep wow going at the rate it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    Exactly. I have been starting to think the people who make these posts are cheap AF. Trying to strike up a conversation in hopes it builds and leads to people agreeing with them.

It's 15$, if I don't log in, I don't care.

and I am far from well off.
    Its all there is, people dont wanna pay the sub because "WOW ISNT GOOD ENOUGH (in their brain)TO PAY MONEY FOR BUT I WANNA PLAY SO BAD" but they wanna play it, it really fucking baffles me.

I would understand if it was some country like Eastern Europe ones as mine where 13e can mean food for a day or two and many ex-players can not afford it in some cases, but when i see US citizens or UK crying about it, makes me pull my hair.

WoW will never be f2p and it shouldn't become it either.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

I think it could, if they went into maintenance mode tomorrow - there is so much to do on so many different characters.. you would never run out of things to do, even if they never added anything new [if you wanted to continue / repeat on other classes] (IMO)

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It would probably do better financially. There are more than enough whales to keep the game making money off of the F2P model for decades to come.

Probably not. WoW was built to be a subscription-based game and its survived its entire lifespan as a subscription-based game. Its servers, which are horribly expensive to maintain and upkeep and where most sub money goes towards, would take massive amounts of effort to switch to a place where they could operate without WoW costing a subscription.

When WoW closes servers or hypothetically gets rid of its subscription fee, that's them saying they're never ever going to go back to being as big as they used to be. That's a real sign a game is in decline, because it's all downhill (gradually) from there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossed View Post
    It creates a sense of attachment and simultaneously prods you to log in so as to avoid a feeling of "wasting you money".

I played the Turbine games LotRO, Eberron, then other ones like Guild Wars 2, Everquest 2 and Rift - they are good but not superb like WoW.

WoW becoming F2P would be the worst thing that could happen to the game.
    Crimea is Ukraine!

WoW is the only MMO good enough to justify a subscription.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Why would it have to?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    sure, why not.

Why would it go F2P?

FF14 does absolutely fine on a small amount of subs. WoW is a long long way off that happening.

Survive? Likely, just based off of brand/fan loyalty. Highly unlikely to ever happen, thanks to the emergence of the token.

WoW being sub-free (aka a b2p model akin to GW2) would be the only way to get me to even consider playing again, since I'll only pay for one game sub at a time.