Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

FreeSync Worth It?

Just looking for some to chime in with their experience using FreeSync and whether or not it's worth the extra cost.

Right now I have an absolutely okay 1080p monitor but has some minor ghosting issues (ASUS VE247H) and I've been thinking about making the leap to a FreeSync monitor which is on sale (this one to be exact).

I don't need anything more than 75hz since I generally occupy the midrange spectrum of hardware so I'll likely never see the benefit of 120/144hz plus this model comes with the benefit of being IPS. You can also modify the FreeSync range from 40 - 75 down to 33 even though I rarely see myself chugging this low even in Warcraft.

Also, I assume anything over HDMI 1.2 is enough to do FHD75hz?
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ouch, that is certainly painful to watch and something to definitely keep in mind. Is this why anti-flickering is now becoming a feature in the sales pitch with many monitors or something else entirely?

I'm on a 290X so I don't know where this would put me in comparison to Polaris.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Ouch, that is certainly painful to watch and something to definitely keep in mind. Is this why anti-flickering is now becoming a feature in the sales pitch with many monitors or something else entirely?

The flickering thing was only present in only certain Samsung monitors and by your own admission out of the scope of your wallet regardless of the monitors affected.

Yes it is worth it to have one, just make sure to find a monitor which has good "specs" regarding FreeSync Hz rate (minimum and max).

Also R9 290X is about equal to slightly slower to an RX 480/580, depending on if you have a reference design or aftermarket one.
    Reference being slower and aftermarket ~ the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post

Anti-flickering doesn't have anything to do with Freesync, it just means the panel backlight in the monitor uses constant direct current (DC) instead of PWM (Pulse-width modulation). PWM means the backlight switches on and off very rapidly which is usually not noticeable but can lead to perceived flickering and increased eye strain.

A 290x is roughly 10-20% behind a RX580.

In short words: worth.

Deleted
    Yep its worth it, My samsung monitor doesn't flicker and granted it has 75Hz ceiling but I know how to configure options settings in games to optimise performance and visuals compared to most people, its pretty good and my monitor even has a wireless charging pad built in at its base.

Also very few monitors can do freesync over HDMI, displayport for 99% of the monitors.
    Last edited by mmoc80f347fccc; 2017-09-14 at 08:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, they're both worth it.

Don't know what else to say.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

If you are running high-end application and games then definitely free sync is worth it for you. Your monitors refresh rate is not same as your games fps. So, you need a freesync or gync for it. Freesync has dynamically adjusted your monitors refresh rate. Which is essential for elimination of screen tearing issues, screen stuttering issues, etc.