Can't decide on the class

I am trying to decide between a guardian and a necromancer. I played both of them to level 20 and like them both. Due to the time limitation, I would like to focus just on one. I plan to pvp and wvw with maybe some fractals at the end game. Which one would you recommend? Which one is more sought after? Can you solo roam?

10+ Year Old Account
    Those classes are about even if you're playing all modes. Necros have a hard time getting into raids sometimes, guardians aren't exactly sought after but not turned away. Both have their places in WvW, fracals, pvp, and open world pve.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I've played mostly Necro and almost no Guardian, so my advice will be biased. However, I would ask instead of what game modes you want to play ... what type of gameplay do you enjoy. GW2 is pretty forgiving in many modes (except the highest levels) and really lets you do what you enjoy.

If you read the profession forums you will learn that every single prof is in a bad spot and needs to be buffed

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    I've played mostly Necro and almost no Guardian, so my advice will be biased. However, I would ask instead of what game modes you want to play ... what type of gameplay do you enjoy. GW2 is pretty forgiving in many modes (except the highest levels) and really lets you do what you enjoy.

If you read the profession forums you will learn that every single prof is in a bad spot and needs to be buffed
    I am not sure what you mean by the type of gameplay? Do you mean like doing dots vs instant damage?

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Both are great. You can always try them on PVP, as you automatically level up to 80. Try all skills, play some unranked matches, and then you'll have a better understanding of both, making your choice easier!

Quote Originally Posted by Omnitek View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by the type of gameplay? Do you mean like doing dots vs instant damage?
    Fair.

What I mean is do you like playing melee vs ranged, glass canon vs tanky, dps vs support, very mobile vs slow but powerful... how much flavor do you like? Do you just like being meta and efficient? etc.

Well if they are all bad and in need of buffs...it sounds like they are all even, therefore class balance is ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Both are great. You can always try them on PVP, as you automatically level up to 80. Try all skills, play some unranked matches, and then you'll have a better understanding of both, making your choice easier!
    ^^^ sound advice. The beauty of GW2 is that you can test out any class at level in 80 in PVP. Just make your character, do the tutorial (maybe you don't even have to do this anymore?) and then go into the pvp lobby.

Thanks for the advice. I like tanky. Most of the times I like to be support but would like to have an option to do dps. I prefer ranged over melee.

When I go to pvp lobby, do I get my equipment upgraded to level 80 too?

Non related question to the class selection. It looks like the new expansion is for the max level players. Since I am just starting and I don't want to use a boost, is there a benefit of buying it now vs later?

Edit: After I posted it, I realized maybe there is a better class to try than the two I listed. I am open to suggestions.
    Last edited by Omnitek; 2017-09-14 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnitek View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I like tanky. Most of the times I like to be support but would like to have an option to do dps. I prefer ranged over melee.

When I go to pvp lobby, do I get my equipment upgraded to level 80 too?

Non related question to the class selection. It looks like the new expansion is for the max level players. Since I am just starting and I don't want to use a boost, is there a benefit of buying it now vs later?

Edit: After I posted it, I realized maybe there is a better class to try than the two I listed. I am open to suggestions.
    PvP uses it's own set of gear/runes etc when you go into the lobby there are new buttons at the top of the screen where you can switch stuff, other than that the look of your gear is what carriesover from PvE.

All professions have support, ranged and tanky options. Necro in the new expansion will get a new support/tanky trait line and guardian will get a burning support line.

As in not using a booster, just use the booster. The game plays more or less the same at 80 compared to level 1 ( you just get more stuff to do and junk) you can play the low level zones at level 80 and get equivalent rewards
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Engineer cause flamethrower kit makes everything awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    PvP uses it's own set of gear/runes etc when you go into the lobby there are new buttons at the top of the screen where you can switch stuff, other than that the look of your gear is what carriesover from PvE.

All professions have support, ranged and tanky options. Necro in the new expansion will get a new support/tanky trait line and guardian will get a burning support line.

As in not using a booster, just use the booster. The game plays more or less the same at 80 compared to level 1 ( you just get more stuff to do and junk) you can play the low level zones at level 80 and get equivalent rewards
    To add to this:

Necro is not great at support, but the new Elite spec in the next expansion looks like it will have more options for that (though I still think it'll be more condi dps than anything). Time will tell how well Barrier helps. They lose their death shroud though, so I don't know if they will be AS tanky (they will probably do more damage though, since Anet struggled to balance necros and their shroud abilities).

Not having played Guardian, I would GUESS Necro has more ranged options (with its staff, scepter, and axe, as well as base necro Deathshroud and Lichform), though I could be wrong on that.

When you are level 80 and go to a low level zone, your level and stats scale down. So using the boost isn't that big of a deal, but I could see how that feels "off" if you want to enjoy the game "purely." Up to you

10+ Year Old Account
    Guardian has good dps with scepter-torch.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Thanks guys. I think I'll stick to guardian. Cheers!

To add to this:

Necro is not great at support, but the new Elite spec in the next expansion looks like it will have more options for that (though I still think it'll be more condi dps than anything). Time will tell how well Barrier helps. They lose their death shroud though, so I don't know if they will be AS tanky (they will probably do more damage though, since Anet struggled to balance necros and their shroud abilities).

Not having played Guardian, I would GUESS Necro has more ranged options (with its staff, scepter, and axe, as well as base necro Deathshroud and Lichform), though I could be wrong on that.

When you are level 80 and go to a low level zone, your level and stats scale down. So using the boost isn't that big of a deal, but I could see how that feels "off" if you want to enjoy the game "purely." Up to you
    Base necro has one of the most under rated best supports in the game. With shroud 4 you teleport and heal downed allies you could essentially save a raid wipe with this.

Necro support isn't terrible it's just under rated and when you have something like a druid it can get over shadowed.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.