Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Bill DeBlasio Modern Robin Hood; Redistributes $21 Billion to Ordinary New Yorkers

A fascinating piece about New York City mayor Bill DeBlasio. Who's running in mayoral primaries next week. He runs on the image as a progressive politician. Also despite New York's liberal image he's the first liberal mayor in ages, Bloomberg’s three terms, Guiliani’s two terms.

But a recent NDN article details how his policies have benefitted New Yorkers.

Some of the highlights:
    • $1.4 billion that working families saved on child care thanks to universal pre-K
    • $500 million worth of sick leave pay
    • $2.1 billion from rent freezes
    • $15 billion in pay increases for public sector wage increases

This is money largely taken out of the pockets of the affluent through taxation or regulation and redistributed to working New Yorkers.

7+ Year Old Account
    How much money that somebody else makes are you entitled to?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Personally, I am hoping to see him get his ass handed to him in the next election. But, this being New York, well.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't you be asking your boss? Isn't he the one who determines what percentage of income of your labor actually results in. Who would that be at your job? Who decides how much of total revenue gets distributed to you as a worker and how much gets distributed to profit?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Shouldn't you be asking your boss? Isn't he the one who determines what percentage of income of your labor actually results in. Who would that be at your job? Who decides how much of total revenue gets distributed to you as a worker and how much gets distributed to profit?
    Yeah nice try, but seriously.

Why should you receive money that another person worked for? What gives you the right to take it?

Redistribution of wealth isn't charity, it's theft.

10+ Year Old Account

Why should you receive money that another person worked for? What gives you the right to take it?
    The social contract. You know, that thing what was pretty much central to the philosophies behind the foundation of the American republic.

It's neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

We live in a society, and taxation for broader societal use is pretty standard. The level of taxation varies from country to country, but it's pretty universal right now.

In your opinion. But there's no legal basis for your claim in this instance.

Rent freezes are shit. It's the literal definition of a feel good policy and DeBlasio should be shamed for it.

Also, LMAO at the majority of the money being wasted on public employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    Rent freezes are shit. It's the literal definition of a feel good policy and DeBlasio should be shamed for it.
    Says literally no one who pays rent.

Stop with the thoroughly discredited and disproven Atlas Shrugged/Objectivist bullcrap. There's nothing being "Taken". There's nothing being "Stolen". It's going to services (SERVICES! Not free money!) that help build roads, infrastructure, power, and give people a chance to rebuild their lives if problems occur.

What right do you have to ask your boss for more money each year? What right does you have to not "take" from your Boss?

Stop it with that bullshit... seriously. Unless you want to live in a world where three people have all the wealth and everybody's an illiterate mongrel tribesman fighting each other for scraps of food - don't push it. Cus, guess what, chances are you will NOT be one of the few sitting on those cash piles. I've known many of your mental folk - and every one of them have fallen. Of course they blame society, or liberals, or immigrants or whatever... but NEVER themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    People being able to afford somewhere to live is a "feel good policy", apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    People being able to afford somewhere to live is a "feel good policy", apparently.
    Hey now, we can afford to live places if we work in a major city like New York or San Francisco! We just may have to live a 3-4 hour commute away, making even a routine 8 hour work day a 12+ hour affair at minimum including commute (far more if there's bad traffic, which is usual, or if more than 8 hours is needed). That's just the "price" you pay for being poor, it's time or money, because time is money!

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    If you already live in the city I guess it's fine for you. But for the rest, it's one of the dumbest policy to ever be devised.

Some light reading:

http://marketurbanism.com/2016/04/02...s-and-tenants/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Much like free university, the benefits of rent controls (mostly)go to the middle to upper middle class people.

If you already live in the city I guess it's fine for you. But for the rest, it's one of the dumbest policy to ever be devised.

Some light reading:

http://marketurbanism.com/2016/04/02...s-and-tenants/
    Except if you want to live in the city you work in/not have massive commutes because the city is unaffordable.

Rent control can be fucked up, but it can also be done well. Cities moving to promote a greater mixture of rent controlled affordable housing alongside market rate housing is absolutely a viable solution. It's how they balance the tightrope that matters.

So millions of New Yorkers are better off and the wealthy are still doing really, really damn well? Sounds like a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    You do.

It's based on consent, you sign a consensual contract with your employer to be paid a certain amount of money to do certain things. Redistribution of income by the government where it's directly from one hand to another, isn't exactly consensual

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Stop with the thoroughly discredited and disproven Atlas Shrugged/Objectivist bullcrap. There's nothing being "Taken". There's nothing being "Stolen". It's going to services (SERVICES! Not free money!) that help build roads, infrastructure, power, and give people a chance to rebuild their lives if problems occur.

What right do you have to ask your boss for more money each year? What right does you have to not "take" from your Boss?

Stop it with that bullshit... seriously. Unless you want to live in a world where three people have all the wealth and everybody's an illiterate mongrel tribesman fighting each other for scraps of food - don't push it. Cus, guess what, chances are you will NOT be one of the few sitting on those cash piles. I've known many of your mental folk - and every one of them have fallen. Of course they blame society, or liberals, or immigrants or whatever... but NEVER themselves.
    I don't think any rational person is against taxes being collected to provide commonly used goods and services, I think where people take issue is when tax money is directly paid to benefit another person directly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    There are severe consequences associated with rent control

Here's an article from The Economist that explains it simply

But economists, on both the left and the right, tend to disagree. As Paul Krugman wrote in the New York Times in 2000, rent control is “among the best-understood issues in all of economics, and—among economists, anyway—one of the least controversial”. Economists reckon a restrictive price ceiling reduces the supply of property to the market. When prices are capped, people have less incentive to fix up and rent out their basement flat, or to build rental property. Slower supply growth exacerbates the price crunch. And those landlords who do rent out their properties might not bother to maintain them, because when supply and turnover in the market are limited by rent caps, landlords have little incentive to compete to attract tenants. Rent controls also mean that landlords may also become choosier, and tenants may stay in properties longer than makes sense. And some evidence shows that those living in rent-controlled flats in New York tend to have higher median incomes than those who rent market-rate apartments. That may be because wealthier households may be in a better position to track down and secure rent-stabilised properties. The example of Germany is also an imperfect one: many cities there have seen declining populations and low (or falling) house prices over the past two decades, although the latter is now changing in several cities.
    In places where demand for urban housing is rising (as in London, New York and Seattle), a more effective policy is simply to build more housing. The number of houses being built each year in Britain peaked in 1968 at 352,540 dwellings. Since 2008 there has been a particularly bad slump, while a restrictive “green belt” around the edges of London restricts growth. Meanwhile many developers sit on the land, watching its value grow. According to McKinsey, some 45% of land which is due to be developed in London remains idle. House-building rates are even lower in Germany, says Kath Scanlon of the London School of Economics. Restrictive zoning laws in places such as San Francisco (which also has rent control) could also be loosened, though locals might not like it. But in order to keep housing affordable, politicians will have to take on the NIMBYs, not just the landlords.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    How fast do you want the Fire Department to arrive at your house?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    How fast do you want the Fire Department to arrive at your house?
    I don't need some handout from the government from somebody more successful than myself.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't need some handout from the government from somebody more successful than myself.
    Sure you do - everyone does. It's called a social contract, and it's dues are taxes. That's why your house gets put out by the fire department and how we have a group of people that will defend us if another country decides they want our stuff.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Sure you do - everyone does. It's called a social contract, and it's dues are taxes. That's why your house gets put out by the fire department and how we have a group of people that will defend us if another country decides they want our stuff.
    You can support tax without supporting redistribution of wealth.