Capcha / Spambot filter when?

We've been getting shitloads of spam threads for weeks/months now.

There is a Capcha on registration and a spam filter that uses a third party to filter posts. For every post you see, there are tons that don't get through the filter.

Unfortunately there are actual humans posting this spam, so it isn't easy to block. I've made some improvements that alert the mods to spam posts faster for them to be dealt with, so most are up for less than 10 minutes. I'll continue to do what I can to make things even better as time allows.

How about adding a cap to the number of threads a new account can create ? Or go a step further and limit the number of new accounts an IP can create per day or w/e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Stop equating casual to bad, they're two different things.
    Casual refers to time/effort spent.
    Bad refers to skill.
    Your English isn't casual, it's bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raicky View Post
    How about adding a cap to the number of threads a new account can create ?
    Because then they post in existing threads instead are a million times harder to find and clean up.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    There is a Capcha on registration and a spam filter that uses a third party to filter posts. For every post you see, there are tons that don't get through the filter.

Unfortunately there are actual humans posting this spam, so it isn't easy to block. I've made some improvements that alert the mods to spam posts faster for them to be dealt with, so most are up for less than 10 minutes. I'll continue to do what I can to make things even better as time allows.
    Are these forums vB based? If they are, get spam-o-matic. Mpcforum.com was getting over 100k spam messages a day from spambots and spam-o-matic took it down to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by BelziBhaal View Post
    Are these forums vB based? If they are, get spam-o-matic. Mpcforum.com was getting over 100k spam messages a day from spambots and spam-o-matic took it down to 0.
    It uses the stopforumspam database, which probably isn't going to help in this instance. I spot checked several of the latest bots, none of them are in their database.

10+ Year Old Account
    SoM also has filters that you can use to weed the spam posts out. Once you submit the spammer details and posts to sfs, they are in the database, from memory.

You should look into it further. Its a very very powerful tool.