Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Next to Silithus [Spoilers & Speculation]

Hey guys,

I saw the picture of Silithus getting wounded. What I cant figure out is the big green "isle" on the top left. Can't find anything on the World Map that is remotly close?

Any ideas on what it might be?

Its the island outside of Feralas called Isle of Dread? Its always been there lol

10+ Year Old Account
    RIP SIlithus 2.0, how I missed pre cata Sil but its definitely not coming back now. Oh.. and is it done in this zone because its the isolated red headed step child of traffic? So remote that it wouldn't cause issue with players that much?

Didn't that one sink in Cata?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xerra View Post
    RIP SIlithus 2.0, how I missed pre cata Sil but its definitely not coming back now. Oh.. and is it done in this zone because its the isolated red headed step child of traffic? So remote that it wouldn't cause issue with players that much?
    I think it's gonna be phased, like Blasted Lands.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it sank in Cata, the terrain shouldn't be like that.

Unless whatever striked the earth caused the land around Silithus to level above the recommended levels.

It's a PTR map and far from final. For some reason they might still use pre cata satellite maps. Un'Goro looks weird too. Those white parts are supposed to be water if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by babyback; 2017-09-21 at 03:50 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone should bear in mind that you are looking at the textured terrain model, not a top down screenshot. The water is not shown as that is procedurally generated in-game. In all likelihood, the Isle is still going to be covered with water in this scenario.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Yeah it sank in Cata, the terrain shouldn't be like that.

Unless whatever striked the earth caused the land around Silithus to level above the recommended levels.
    What if the strike reverts the Cataclysm?

Yeah it's an old island from vanilla which was removed in cata... but that doesn't matter. This is gonna be an instanced version of Silithus, so the surroundings don't matter.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It wasnt removed per se, they just changed the heightmap that defines the terrain mesh so that Isle sat below water level. They didnt even change the textures. That terrain is still green if you swim out there and look at it.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    What if the strike reverts the Cataclysm?
    It's... impossible, for several reasons. Cataclysm cracked the earth, some islands sunk. I'm just suggesting that the strike made some of the nearby earth rise, like a meteor crater.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's... impossible, for several reasons. Cataclysm cracked the earth, some islands sunk. I'm just suggesting that the strike made some of the nearby earth rise, like a meteor crater.
    I know. I can dream though..

You're just looking at the landscape without the water that's why you can see the sunken island.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Not really, titanic time-stab magic. Now, would or should blizzard ever do something like that? A very different question.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    That was the isle of dread or some shit. Had a world boss there and some elite mobs.

It sunk in Cata though.

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of speculation about stuff next to Silithus, I want to know the state of Ahn'Qiraj. Can't tell from that map, but I don't think the damage from the wound reached the actual city.

It's the isle of dread. It sank in the Cataclysm. However, it IS possible that Sargeras' blast reverted that, namely by the tsunami's that were caused by said stab.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    Yeah it's an old island from vanilla which was removed in cata... but that doesn't matter. This is gonna be an instanced version of Silithus, so the surroundings don't matter.
    Instanced, maybe in this patch but it is hard to "reset" the wound in the 8.0 map.

But yeah, isle of dread is kinda likely.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    I know. I can dream though..
    Oh, but blizzard already have a freature that could easily (in lore) allow us to visit the old world. Caverns of Time. Just put a little gateway there. Of course, they would need to watch out for quests that direct players to Outland/Northrend and cut those out, remove lots of achievs, etc, but you get the idea.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Isle of Dread, used to be landmass with giant chimeras in vanilla (Recipe: Dirge's Kickin' Chimaerok Chops).

Cataclysm sunk the isle.

It doesn't look sunken on the Silithus Wound map because I don't think the water or any lightning/terrain is rendered to show depth, because it also looks pretty flat.

Also AQ structures are completely missing as those aren't simple terrain.

Compare to a 7.3 Kalimdor minimap which does show water/mountains due to lighting:

https://newmaps.marlam.in/Kalimdor/139/6/-93.016/55.844 (map also allows you to see old pre-cata versions where the Island was actually above water)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    It's a PTR map and far from final. For some reason they might still use pre cata satellite maps. Un'Goro looks weird too. Those white parts are supposed to be water if I recall correctly.
    Water seems to be completely missing, as is any depth/height shading, so it just looks like flat pure textured terrain.

Even while you see the Oasis looks bright green on the bottom right, remember that actually water changes the look/lighting of the game completely too.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-09-21 at 06:48 PM.