Deleted

Why am I not doing high damage

So I was watching a few videos eg: youtube.com/watch?v=OeGMhRxIlUo&t=129s (sorry can't post links yet)
    and I've noticed that I am doing significantly less damage than the people in them.
    I realise that this video is a few years old and that may account for something but I just wanted to check if there was anything else I could do to match the numbers I am seeing here.

Specifically in that video you can see their stats around the 1 min mark and they hover over one of the their weapons and we can see weapon stats there too. Firstly I noticed that their lvl 80 Exotic weapons had significantly lower stats than mine (probably due to various buffs that have happened over the years) but their total stats are higher than mine (in the damage dealing areas) but not by that much.

Now I am running full exotic Berzerker gear apart from boots and shoulders which are rare Berzerker, have superior runes on 3 pieces and no sigils yet. I realise that this will have an impact on my damage but to me it doesn't account for the following discrepancies I am seeing.

If you then go to around the 2 min mark you will see some examples of their dps output using Lightning Whip, whilst not being under any boons. Here I noticed that-

a) The normal damage is around 750-800
    b) The crit damage is around 1650-1800
    c) They seem to crit roughly 70% of the time

Compared to what I was experiencing, I got numbers like-

a) Normal damage around 400-500
    b) Crit damage around 800-1000
    c) My crit rate is given at 46% on the interface.

Essentially I would really like to know how the guy in the video can be doing so much more damage than me when I am using pretty good dps gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    The jump between rares and exotic is about 15% with a complete 'perfect' set for both, so your observation makes sense.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item#Rarity

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Might be better to use a more recent example. Since that video was made (it's 3 years old), the traits have been redone, multiple balance patches have been put through, even food bufs have been changed since then. If you can find something made within the past 3 or 4 months to show the difference (and your build compared to theirs) it would be easier to see where the discrepancies are.

Deleted
    Eh it's more that video in particular as I'm trying to replicate the method in that video but not being able to compete with that damage makes it a lot more difficult. I was just wondering really if the damage has been nerfed so significantly in 3 years due to patches or whatever (I really wonder why?) or if my setup was wrong/ there was something I was missing.

It could definitely (and most likely is) be build related

Deleted
    If you think it's build related but as far as I know all my gear and traits are tuned towards more damage what else could it be? The guy in the video is doing basically twice my damage output and even without me having optimal gear surely that can't make up for such a large difference?

Quote Originally Posted by fromage123 View Post
    If you think it's build related but as far as I know all my gear and traits are tuned towards more damage what else could it be? The guy in the video is doing basically twice my damage output and even without me having optimal gear surely that can't make up for such a large difference?
    traits have been reworked completely since that video was made, that is why it is better to come up with a more recent example to have a comparison

Two of your items are rare, so that is damage lost. You don't even have a 4 piece rune bonus, never mind a 6 piece. You have no sigils, so you are missing damage and crit from those (if you use the sigils for those). I'm guessing you aren't running an optimal spec.

It all adds up.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Two of your items are rare, so that is damage lost. You don't even have a 4 piece rune bonus, never mind a 6 piece. You have no sigils, so you are missing damage and crit from those (if you use the sigils for those). I'm guessing you aren't running an optimal spec.

It all adds up.
    Good points here. Better than the one I was making. Also, the player in the video has a food and utility buff, that adds up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    Good points here. Better than the one I was making. Also, the player in the video has a food and utility buff, that adds up as well.
    Consumables make a huge difference.

Deleted
    Ok thanks a lot guys, I was not convinced that all the little problems with my setup could end up with such a big difference but you guys have convinced me so I will be aiming to upgrade as much as I can.

Deleted
    As other said this is both gear and spec issue and neither can be fixed without knowing what you are running. Also the video is old and not relevant also consumables makes decent difference and there is the elephant in the room named "l2p issues" - you can for example see that guy in video stacking might and rarely have less than 10 stacks that also makes for quite the difference in damage.