Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Too late to switch specs?

Good morning everyone!

I've been playing Destro since the beginning of Legion, because for me it was the most fun spec to play. I've seen many other warlocks running affliction, and pulling amazing numbers on bosses (I'm not that far from them but I just cant catch up in the end).

I'm currently on Concordance 14 on Destro, and would like to try Affliction which is only at Concordance 2. Is it too late to switch specs at this point? I raid casually with my guild, and I want to be as much help as I can.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Quote Originally Posted by HelloCthulhu View Post
    Good morning everyone!

I've been playing Destro since the beginning of Legion, because for me it was the most fun spec to play. I've seen many other warlocks running affliction, and pulling amazing numbers on bosses (I'm not that far from them but I just cant catch up in the end).

I'm currently on Concordance 14 on Destro, and would like to try Affliction which is only at Concordance 2. Is it too late to switch specs at this point? I raid casually with my guild, and I want to be as much help as I can.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
    No I don't think so. Do you have legendaries you could use for Aff? If not you may want to run Destro with your loot set to Aff until you get one or two legendaries and then make the switch full time. I don't think Aff is as legendary dependent as other classes though so it may not even matter.

Trait wise you can easily catch up with the new AK levels, only issue I see at start would be your relics but that problem should be easily solved with a few runs.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2017-09-22 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalem View Post
    No I don't think so. Do you have legendaries you could use for Aff? If not you may want to run Destro with your loot set to Aff until you get one or two legendaries and then make the switch full time. I don't think Aff is as legendary dependent as other classes though so it may not even matter.
    Does concordance points make a huge difference when it comes to dps? I feel like it does

I have Prydaz, Master Harvester (which I heard are good enough to switch ), and Alythess which isnt good for Aff.

I want to play Affliction to pull more dmg, but I feel like at this point it's too late because of the concordance points in Destro

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Trait wise you can easily catch up with the new AK levels, only issue I see at start would be your relics but that problem should be easily solved with a few runs.
    I've been using argunite to get a good trinket with no luck so far, I could probably get a few relics and try to get lucky for Aff.

My main concern is the difference on Concordance; I feel like at this point I'll just be delaying the powers spike on Destro if I ever want to go back.

Such a hard choice

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a single Affliction legendary (yet) with 933 ilvl, and I pull 1.5+ million DPS on most fights, give or take. I was demonology from the get-go and decided to switch because ToS has too much movement to not be frustrated with Demonology. I do (at the time I got them at least, not sure how) have the BiS legendary for Demonology...

Right now I'm stuck using the Greater demon wrists and KJ's trinket. It's what I have....I make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Choochill View Post
    I don't have a single Affliction legendary (yet) with 933 ilvl, and I pull 1.5+ million DPS on most fights, give or take. I was demonology from the get-go and decided to switch because ToS has too much movement to not be frustrated with Demonology. I do (at the time I got them at least, not sure how) have the BiS legendary for Demonology...

Right now I'm stuck using the Greater demon wrists and KJ's trinket. It's what I have....I make it work.
    What about the points allocated into Concordance? Were you able to catch up quick? Do you feel if you want to back to Demo that you wasted all that AP on Affliction?

I rolled a warlock like 3 weeks ago and my weapon is at 61 already. Some dudes in my guild surpassed me because they play more and they only rolled a new warlock last week

What about the points allocated into Concordance? Were you able to catch up quick? Do you feel if you want to back to Demo that you wasted all that AP on Affliction?
    You get 30% more AP every week now, you can catch up incredibly easy as of now already. It will only get easier with time.

The way AP vs. AK is designed, it really only slows down at the very top of the current average (i.e. currently about 63ish?). Because of that, you can catch up very, very quickly to most people. In addition, Argus rewards are very high AP to begin with, much higher than the usual WQ rewards in Broken Isles.

Legendaries are by far the most limiting factor. Luckily, Affliction isn't THAT dependent on them. You'll have a hard time ranking orange, but you shouldn't have much trouble competing with most raiders of equal ilvl if you're skilled enough. Also, with the new Invasion Points legendaries can actually drop quite frequently (my hunter alt got 2 in 3 days and did almost nothing for BLP only Invasion Points; similar reports from guildies and streamers). It still won't mean you just get everything in two weeks, and RNG can still roll you over with bad pieces. But it's a start.

If you have your eyes on Antorus, you should have enough time before that raid releases to get up to par. Most raids will be more than happy to have a DPSer around the 80th percentile, and won't fuss if you can't 95 it because of bad legs or lower-than-max AP. And that's a very realistic prospect for any skilled player, almost regardless of gear.

Another thing you may want to do is farm the right trinkets. Whispers in particular is VERY good for Affliction, so if you're not doing Gul'dan each week you should start. Also do Relinquished Trinkets hoping for some good procs. You can average over 1 a day if you work at it.

legendary's for affliction are not that far apart so if you have a few of the class wide ones like Soul of the Netherlord , The Master Harvester or Prydaz you should be good to go.
    concordance is easy to catch up with except the last 1-2 points,

Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    I rolled a warlock like 3 weeks ago and my weapon is at 61 already. Some dudes in my guild surpassed me because they play more and they only rolled a new warlock last week
    Just curious - is there anything special if I'm just returning to the game after ~7 months? I don't have anything special other than leveled toons. I assume just go through the dailies/zone stuff to get rewards and run Mythics?

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Just curious - is there anything special if I'm just returning to the game after ~7 months? I don't have anything special other than leveled toons. I assume just go through the dailies/zone stuff to get rewards and run Mythics?
    There's lots of catch-up mechanics. You can easily get yourself ready for normal mode raiding in a very short time, and then keep pushing yourself to higher levels on the side if you want to raid heroic or higher.

Dailies and the new Invasion Points are a prime source of upgrades, but you can absolutely run dungeons to supplement your gear. It also shouldn't be too hard to get into normal mode raids.

Deleted
    The only thing you might be screwed over is legendary drop rates, if you got none of the top 3 best legendaries for affliction you might want to reconsider a controversial teqnique and make another warlock and play that one as affliction from the start, that way you won't have to put in hundreds of man-hours without a single legendary, and can instead get the right legendaries from the start. Not to mention the Artifact is not even a effort to lvl up these days

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't feel wasted at all, with the way artifact knowledge is gained, it will literally take maybe two weeks at most. I switched before the AK changes and my affliction weapon is way ahead of demonology now.

Id play what you enjoyed the most. Affliction is going to be nerfed before the next raid tier so choosing a spec based on the numbers game is something Blizzard seems to dislike. Once Affliction gets nerfed back to the rest of the pack you may find yourself wishing you stuck out your more favorite spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiljaedon View Post
    Id play what you enjoyed the most. Affliction is going to be nerfed before the next raid tier so choosing a spec based on the numbers game is something Blizzard seems to dislike. Once Affliction gets nerfed back to the rest of the pack you may find yourself wishing you stuck out your more favorite spec.
    just looked at WCL

Aff Mythic: 5th, 2nd, 4th, 4th 16th, 2nd, 19th, 3rd, 1st
    Aff Heroic: 15th, 1st, 4th, 6th, 14th, 5th, 16th, 3rd, 8th

What makes you think its getting nerfed?

Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    just looked at WCL

Aff Mythic: 5th, 2nd, 4th, 4th 16th, 2nd, 19th, 3rd, 1st
    Aff Heroic: 15th, 1st, 4th, 6th, 14th, 5th, 16th, 3rd, 8th

What makes you think its getting nerfed?
    Because from my outsiders perspective most balancing changes I see from Blizzard occurs to try to keep specs in line over the class as a whole. Destruction has been several times brought down along with demon and affliction when one spec was overperofrming compared to the other specs.

it's never too late. Just make the switch

Homophobia is so gay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiljaedon View Post
    Because from my outsiders perspective most balancing changes I see from Blizzard occurs to try to keep specs in line over the class as a whole. Destruction has been several times brought down along with demon and affliction when one spec was overperofrming compared to the other specs.
    so what ? Affliction is in a very good State right now. Not too bad not OP... Stop reading into things. Ofc they will be Changes, They will always be changes.. but Nerfs ? No