Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warcraft vs Elder Scrolls Franchises

So recently I had a conversation with a friend of mine. I mentioned Warcraft 4 being one of the most anticipated games out there and he kinda got pissed off at me and started attacking me with how much more popular/anticipated/incredible/etc The Elder Scrolls 6 was and so on. So... Could someone brief me on the case ?

I haven't played many games aside from WoW and Warcraft 3 and the only communities I am familiar with are the Blizzard Games and MMO-Champ ones. Never seen as much hype for anything as there is for WC4. People always talk about it, daydream and so on. (It doesn't matter if it is possible or not, just how popular/anticipated it is.) Warcraft was the origin of one of the most popular games in the world - League of Legends and the entire MOBA genre. But perhaps I am just biased unconsciously? So yeah, discuss.

pretty sure we will get warcraft 4 the same year half life 3 is released. I dont know why you think its anticipated, all of us that liked warcraft 3 accepted we wont see it a long time ago. on the otherhand ES6 has been confirmed to be in developement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    pretty sure we will get warcraft 4 the same year half life 3 is released. I dont know why you think its anticipated, all of us that liked warcraft 3 accepted we wont see it a long time ago. on the otherhand ES6 has been confirmed to be in developement.
    I clearly said it's not about the possibility of it but the popularity. We're talking what IF they did it

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    I clearly said it's not about the possibility of it but the popularity. We're talking what IF they did it
    they would fucking ruin the game like they did with the diablo franchise and diablo 3. It took how long untill it was even playable and even then its fails to live up to diablo 2. I agree with him, ES6 is more anticipated because its actually being developed and has a chance of coming out. Warcraft 4 is a dream that i feel will live with starcraft ghosts.

Deleted
    After Skyrim i dont think it is even close. TES is far more popular. Many pc gamers dont know WC3 anymore.

Blizzard as company with all brands together can compete with TES. But every single one (even if you accumulate WC3, WoW and Hearthstone) is behind. A WC4 would be pretty small as many gamers are too young for WC3 and most games are sold on consoles.

The biggest one is anyways GTA.
    Last edited by mmoc4ec7d51a68; 2017-09-22 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klatar View Post
    After Skyrim i dont think it is even close. TES is far more popular. Many pc gamers dont know WC3 anymore.

Blizzard as company with all brands together can compete with TES. But every single one (even if you accumulate WC3, WoW and Hearthstone) is behind. A WC4 would be pretty small as many gamers are too young for WC3 and most games are sold on consoles.

Warcraft is more of a household name then TES is, but that's thanks mostly to WoW and not the RTS series.

I mentioned Warcraft 4 being one of the most anticipated games out there
    wat?

I think you have an interesting idea of what "anticipated" means. Even more so if you're only looking at WC4 or TES6.... there are actual games that have motivated people across the globe to action for stupid things and I'd rate the rumored GoT game people thought might be in the works at more anticipated than another RTS from blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

Anticipate:
    regard as probable

Probable:
    likely to happen or be the case

Just to clarify... the popularity under the assumption that a fictitious event occured is NOT under the defintion of probable and thus the act of 'anticipation' isn't really the right term...

Now if you want to understand the most anticiapated game ever....
    Take a ride with this upstanding gentleman here:

Warcraft has been on a pretty steady but quick decline since MoP. The quality of the writing is simply not there.

Bring me The Elder Scrolls 6 over Warcraft 4 any day. With that said, i'll probably play them both.
    Last edited by Ulfric Trumpcloak; 2017-09-22 at 08:34 AM.

after skyrim, definitely elder scrolls. for the people that actually give a shit about the universe, there's probably less people than wow just due to the more complex nature of elder scrolls. but in terms of just wanting the new game, there's probably more people for elder scrolls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Elder Scrolls is more popular. By far.

RTS is pretty much dead, Blizzard has Starcraft for that Genre, and WoW is the story vehicle for Warcraft. There isn't anything Warcraft 4 could bring to the table, and it really isn't very probable or desired right now.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2017-09-22 at 09:54 AM.

Deleted
    Never seen as much hype for anything as there is for WC4.
    May i ask where do you see that hype?
    Warcraft, the RTS game is a known game, yes, but it is not even close to being one of the most popular games among the RTS genre, as for example Starcraft is.

TES had it's great moment with skyrim. You know the got some mmo out afterwards? which flopped and is still fighting against death by disinterest? See the problem and their greatest advantage is, they don't really have a sotry or a world which shapes it around it. The disadvantage is however, that they won't be able to top skyrim. It already did everthing anyone wanted, so don't expect TES6 to have such a large impact. well they could introduce an epic story, but we're talking about bethseda here

And GTA? don't let the numbers fool you, there are more players playing wow daily than GTA. And that is what keeps a game in mind. not the advertisement before.

I see, I've always been under the assumption that Warcraft is one of the most popular game franchises ever. Personally, I have played it but I still prefer WoW over it. Not a hardcore fan. But over the years I've seen sooo many threads, videos, posts and so on about "WC 4" that it gave me the impression that the community that wants WC4 is huge (well, it probably is, but I guess not as grand as the ES6 one?)

And I guess anticipated wasn't the correct word. I was referring to the fanbase behind the idea.

People would like it sure but i don't think anyone ever expects it happening. The userbase for 3 wasn't big enough by todays standards, how do you make it without interfering with WoW and with Starcraft 2 dead compared to Brood Wars popularity why bother with a genre thats deader than survival horror?

Then you have elder scrolls which may be dumbed down casual garbage nowadays but you know theres millions of kids chomping at the bit for "skyrim 2"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Warcraft is more of a household name then TES is, but that's thanks mostly to WoW and not the RTS series.
    TES is huge and on most consoles present. Warcraft is a PC only thing.

If you consider only pc gaming, both can be close. But if you add consoles, TES pulls far ahead.

- - - Updated - - -

I see, I've always been under the assumption that Warcraft is one of the most popular game franchises ever. Personally, I have played it but I still prefer WoW over it. Not a hardcore fan. But over the years I've seen sooo many threads, videos, posts and so on about "WC 4" that it gave me the impression that the community that wants WC4 is huge (well, it probably is, but I guess not as grand as the ES6 one?)

And I guess anticipated wasn't the correct word. I was referring to the fanbase behind the idea.
    You are in a forum focussing on Blizzard. Thats not really relevant. Go to a Battlefield forum and you will see no interest by all console gamers. Even pc gamers should favor TES.

TES is huge and on most consoles present. Warcraft is a PC only thing.

If you consider only pc gaming, both can be close. But if you add consoles, TES pulls far ahead.
    I hate to break it to you, but more people have played WoW then the entire TES series sales combined.

It's not even close for that matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Warcraft has been on a pretty steady but quick decline since MoP. The quality of the writing is simply not there.

Bring me The Elder Scrolls 6 over Warcraft 4 any day. With that said, i'll probably play them both.
    Yea cause bethesda has good writing... thanks for the laugh. BRB gonna go looking for my missing son who is really some senior citizen mad scientist about to destroy what is left of a fucked up world.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-09-22 at 12:38 PM.

warcraft is, warcraft rts died about 2006ish when wow hit its prime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but more people have played WoW then the entire TES series sales combined.

It's not even close for that matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea cause bethesda has good writing... thanks for the laugh. BRB gonna go looking for my missing son who is really some senior citizen mad scientist about to destroy what is left of a fucked up world.
    What are those numbers based on? And actually, if WoW has 13 years of constant development since release and a lot of expansiins. In that timeframe enveloped 2 TES games (oblivion Skyrim) and TESO.

RTS games have declined in popularity for a good long while now. To the point where I can't remember the last big release of an RTS since Starcraft 2.

ES 6 would be a much bigger draw.