Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What Keybinds do you use?

Hello, I've recently started a tanking for my guild as a Blood DK ToS.

My current keybinds are pretty trash and i wish to replace them as soon as possible

So what keybindings do you use?

Any help on setting up for a Blood DK would be greatly apricitated!

I currently use Ipse's Elvui and Weak Auras UI

What do you mean by keybinds exactly ? Dk tanks doesn't have a lot of buttons to press. The most importants IMO are : Blood boil, DnD, Marrowrend, DeathStrike, HeartStrike, Silence and Vampiric Blood. You put them near your movements keys and that's it ?
    We can't really tell you how you should put your keybinds, it's something you have to feel comfortable with.
    And then you have some keys which are important aswell like death grip, mass grip, strangulate, etc etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    What do you mean by keybinds exactly ? Dk tanks doesn't have a lot of buttons to press. The most importants IMO are : Blood boil, DnD, Marrowrend, DeathStrike, HeartStrike, Silence and Vampiric Blood. You put them near your movements keys and that's it ?
    We can't really tell you how you should put your keybinds, it's something you have to feel comfortable with.
    And then you have some keys which are important aswell like death grip, mass grip, strangulate, etc etc.
    Thanks, it's my first time trying out tanking seriously and this was something bugging me alot.

Keybindings are always personal, don't try to copy someone else. Use keys that are comfortable for you to reach without having to move your hand away from the keyboard. It's simple, just look what keys circle your left hand, find what suits you.

One tip I will give you though, use the same keybinds on every character (obviously), and use the same key for the same buttons. e.g.

• Interrupt on every single one of my characters is F.
    • DPS cooldowns are Shift+1/Shift+2/Shift+3, or F1 for big ones like Meta for a DH.
    • Defensive cooldowns are always 4, 5, and 6 on my Naga.
    • Movement abilities are mousewheel up/shift+mousewheel up. Slows are Mousewheel down.
    • Stuns are 5 or shift 5.
    • other types of CC (polymorph, Fear, Imprison, etc) are Shift+T and Ctrl+T.
    • Characters with Taunt have it on T.
    • Tanks have Active Mitigation on 1 and Shift+1
    • Ranged attacks on a melee (Shuriken Toss, Glaive Toss, etc) are usually shift+4.
    • Heroic Leap/Vengeful Retreat/Disengage, etc are usually all on ` (the key between TAB and escape).

I could log onto any character blind-folded and know what key will do what because they are all effectively the same.

As an example of MY keybinds (again, use your own that you are comfortable with), a few alts just to show what I mean by similar :

Added a few more alts just to show different classes but similar layouts for cross-class consistency. The 3x4 grids on either side are my Naga keybinds, normal and shift variant respectively. "F8" is because there's no shift+numpad 5, which is what the naga uses.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2017-09-23 at 07:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Keybindings are always personal, don't try to copy someone else. Use keys that are comfortable for you to reach without having to move your hand away from the keyboard. It's simple, just look what keys circle your left hand, find what suits you.
    I've heard it before, and it does make sense. However i just have alot of trouble implementing it :/

Quote Originally Posted by KajKage View Post
    I've heard it before, and it does make sense. However i just have alot of trouble implementing it :/
    Read what I just edited above. ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Read what I just edited above. ^^
    Thanks! This accutaly helps alot even though i don't have a Naga :P

Having no starting point for setting up your keybinds is frustrating, especielly when you were a clicker for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    Definitely put Death Grip with the most important ones, and add your taunt to that list.

Also, as Soisoisoi said, putting similar abilities always on the same keybind across characters is a huge help (interrupt, taunt, defensive CD, self-heal, etc).

I'm using a Steelseries mouse, so most of my keybinds are on the mouse, but I'm consistently using keys as well :
    - WASD for movement
    - Q and E for frequently used abilities
    - ² (left of your 1 key) for taunt on tanks, or strong dps CD
    - 1, 2, 3 for frequently used abilities
    - ctrl-Q and ctrl-E for less frequently used abilities

10+ Year Old Account
    WASD for movement
    1-6
    t,f,g
    mouse button 4 and 5
    shift, alt and ctrl modifiers on those

What you put where should be natural to you.

My style has evolved over years, so it may very well not be compatible with your own; and obviously, you should go with what's comfortable for you.

But here goes:
    • 1 - Marrowrend
    • 2 - Blood Boil
    • 3 - Heart Strike
    • Alt+3 - Gorefiend's Grasp
    • 4 - Death Strike
    • 5 - Consumption
    • ` - Death and Decay
    • Alt+` - Death Grip
    • Ctrl+` - Wraith Walk
    • Shift+` - Racial (Arcane Torrent for me)
    • F1 - Mind Freeze
    • Alt+F1 - Dark Command
    • F2 - Death's Caress
    • F3 - Blood Tap (if spec'd)
    • F4 - Strangulate
    • F - Vampiric Blood
    • C - Icebound Fortitude
    • Shift+C - Anti-Magic Shell
    • R - Dancing Rune Weapon
    • V - Rune Tap (if spec'd)

Hope you can glean something useful from it

I key bind everthing, as has been said I keep consistency across toons e.g. interupt is always SHIFT+3, artifact is always SHIFT+M4, long CDs are always ALT+1-4, defensives are R, SHIFT+R, ALT+R.

It's what I've done and adapted for years, as has been said its second nature now, I don't have to think once I've set the skills up for the first time.

I use 1,2,3,4,Q,E,R, Mouse 4 + 5. I then use shift and alt as modifiers on each of those.

This allows me to use M1+M2 together to run and A and D to strafe.

update:
    Number - Normal - SHIFT Modifier - ALT Modifier
    1 - Death Strike - Death Chain - DRW
    2 - Morrowrend - Asphyxiate - Blooddrinker
    3 - Heart Strike - Mind Freeze - Raise Ally
    4 - Bonestorm - Rune tap - Path of Frost
    M4 - Death's Caress - Consumption - Trinket
    M5 - Blood Boil - Vampiric Blood - Racial
    Q - Death Grip - Gorefiend's Grasp - Potion1
    E - Dark Command - D&D - Potion2
    R - AMS - IBF - Healthstone

ALT+W is Wraith Walk

additionally I use Clique and grid, so Raise Ally is also bound to mouse 1 for clicking on Grid.

CTRL is my pet modifier for the classes with pets so I don't use many, except CTRL+M4, M5 which are mount and Death Gate.

Bartender4 is what I use mainly, then as mentioned Grid and Clique (though how useful the last 2 are depend on what other classes you play, helpful for healers).

Hopefully that's useful.
    Last edited by endorus; 2017-09-26 at 07:53 AM.

The z, x, c, v, g(and also those keys with shift) are really good for cooldowns and/or keys you don’t have to press every few seconds. 1-4, R, T, F are great for your most used attacks. You can even attach shift + (Movement key) for the longer cooldowns or stuff like disenchant or mounting

Also I’d get bartender. There really is no easier way to set up bars and add keybinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz1126 View Post
    Also I’d get bartender. There really is no easier way to set up bars and add keybinds.
    Keybound : custom keybinds for each character regardless of where the ability is on the bar

10+ Year Old Account
    As frost? Just 123. xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Jk, all preference but I keybind all my chars mostly the same way. F1-4 are long CD abilities that you don't use very often. Then you have QERTFZXCV 1-5 then shift modifiers if needed.. I may have missed a couple but that's the general idea. I try to keep shift modifiers as extra abilities with longer CDs as well or just fluff abilities.

Deleted
    F1 as interupt on all my characters and mouse buttn 4 for racial, F2 and F3 are pillar of fros and horn of winter, F5 is icebound, F6 is sindragoas fury and 2Min + cd on other toons, shift F1 is anti magic shell, alt 2 for argus ability,alt 3 for control undead, Mouse button 5 for potion. 1 to 5 are main dps abilities ,howling blast, oblitirate ,frostscythe,frost strike,remorsless winter. 6 is rune weapon,7 is deathstrike, 8 is healthstone/potion(same for all characters). 9 is wraitwalk, and 0 is deathgrip.

A,Z,E are raise ally,chains of ice adn path of frost.

These are mine

c

I have no idea how you guys use keys like F5+ and even worse the ctrl+q/e, that is just awkward af. I guess it's just me, curse my child sized hands, using F-Keys at all is a stretch for me.

Personally use: 1-4, QERFCX, Mouse 4/5 and then all of the mentioned keys with shift/alt and ctrl for rarely used stuff.
    Last edited by Shogol; 2017-10-12 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KajKage View Post
    Having no starting point for setting up your keybinds is frustrating, especielly when you were a clicker for a long time.
    what helped me when i went from clicker to keybinds many years ago is start a new alt, as in brand new fresh. you obviously don't have to fully level it but its a lot easier to get comfortable keybinds when your getting only a few abilities every few levels.

as others have said have consistency in binds across characters/roles makes things so much easier jumping around characters, so as others have said interrupts on the same key, sprints, defensives, dps cooldowns etc.

and finally don't feel like you need to keybind absolutely everything some people like having a keybind for everything but, especially when starting out, theres no need to try and fit in keybinds for stuff like hearthstones, mount ups, or rarely used/super situational abilities (dk example, path of frost or control undead its not a big deal if abilities like that are clicked).

I found changing movement to ESDF instead of WASD actually helped a lot because it gave another relatively easy-access line to the left of the 'movement block'.

Defensives are on YHBZ, interrupt V, DPS 1-6 and C, Chains on Q, Asphyx/pet stun on A. I like using C for the spammy Runic Power abilities (Death Strike, Frost Strike, Coil).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogol View Post
    I have no idea how you guys use keys like F5+ and even worse the ctrl+q/e, that is just awkward af. I guess it's just me, curse my child sized hands, using F-Keys at all is a stretch for me.

Personally use: 1-4, QERFCX, Mouse 4/5 and then all of the mentioned keys with shift/alt and ctrl for rarely used stuff.
    I use F1-4 for big long CDs.

1-4, Q and E for basic rotation abilities. F is mostly AoE on any character. G is usually stun and T is interrupt. 0 is a small CD buff, middle mouse is heal, and Mouse 4 and 5 are situational stuff. And R is artifact ability mostly or taunt on tanks.