Page 1 of 3
LastLast

PlayStation Boss Confirms What We Already Know: The Vita is Effectively Dead

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/...vely-Dead.html

PlayStation CEO Andrew House said in a recent interview with Bloomberg that there is limited potential for handheld gaming devices especially with everyone now owning a smartphone, painting a bleak future for the PlayStation Vita.

“The Vita experience was that outside of Japan and Asia, there was not a huge demand, the lifestyle shift toward the dominance of smartphones as the single key device that is always with you, was the determining factor.”

House says that outside of Japan and Asia there really wasn't a huge demand for the Vita. Despite the success that the Nintendo Switch has had, Sony doesn't view the hybrid device as a huge market opportunity but rather feels the focus should be on smartphones.

Although House believes that there isn't a market opportunity for hybrid devices, the stats show that since the Switch launched Nintendo's shares surged up by 64 percent whilst Sony's have gone up by 25 percent.

Hybrid devices could be the future for handheld gaming but in the meantime, Sony is focusing on bringing products and services to the living room that can be enjoyed on the big screen.

"The folks at Nintendo have their strategy and that’s great. We remain focused around a highly connected gaming experience and also coupled with having a great range of other entertainment experiences so you can reach multiple people on the big screen in the household.”

It's been a bittersweet journey, Vita.
    RIP, The Vita was/is a amazing system just blogged down by stupid choices.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't think it'd dead in japan tho but for us in the west yeah

"Folks of Nintendo have their strategy"

What a load of bullshit.

Its just idiotic consumers still buying the same games made on repeat by Nintendo, especially Pokemon.

Yes i loved the games when i was 13 back in 2000 but the fact Nintendo refuses to move their games on other platforms is the only reason it sells.

Took 10 years to get a Monster Hunter PC game in the west because of that.

Wont take long before they start selling games for Smartphones instead of their handheld the way things are going, whether they like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    i don't think it'd dead in japan tho but for us in the west yeah
    The Vita has it dedicated fan base, But sadly it is a dead system. I am impressed how much support it still gets from 3rd party and indie groups. I love my vita and IMO its a better handheld then the DS/3DS ever was.

Its just a shame Sony ruined it with many stupid choices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post

What a load of bullshit.

Its just idiotic consumers still buying the same games made on repeat by Nintendo, especially Pokemon.

Yes i loved the games when i was 13 back in 2000 but the fact Nintendo refuses to move their games on other platforms is the only reason it sells.
    So your telling me people buy a platform for its exclusive titles.............I AM TOTALLY 100% SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YA.

Next think I bet you tell me is that water is wet..
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Deleted
    There are still coming a lot of games this year and next year for the vita, how can it be dead?

Quote Originally Posted by fatisha View Post
    There are still coming a lot of games this year and next year for the vita, how can it be dead?
    Officially its been dead for awhile, Sony no longer produces the system at all. If you are buying one you are buying it 2nd hand.

What a load of bullshit.

Wont take long before they start selling games for Smartphones instead of their handheld the way things are going, whether they like it or not.
    Consoles more or less need exclusives to try and stay relevant. I know several who only bought a PS4 for Bloodborne, and have barely touched it since. Nintendo has some very good exclusives, and consumers are not idiotic to buy the same game over and over again. They are consistently making GOOD games over and over again. Pokemon in its core has not changed since its initial release like 20 years ago, but I still enjoyed the hell out of Sun and Moon when that came out. I would like for the games to come for PC and get rid of exclusives as a whole, but I also know the reality of that not happening as the market currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

Next think I bet you tell me is that water is wet..
    Technically water is not wet. What you feel is not wet. You feel the difference in temperature between where your body part was and where it is when it is submerged. If the temperatures were equal, you wouldn't actually feel anything "wet". Because of this, wet is not actually a real thing and water cannot be wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

What a load of bullshit.

As much as exclusives suck for consumers, without them the consoles will not survive. See: Xbox One.

And Nintendo has many really good exclusive IPs, so if you only gonna buy one console besides a PC, it might aswell be a Nintendo machine.

I didn't realize it wasn't already dead. I don't know anyone who owns one, nor have I seen news regarding it in what seems like years

Deleted
    Lame. But that is bussines

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I didn't realize it wasn't already dead. I don't know anyone who owns one, nor have I seen news regarding it in what seems like years
    First party wise and production its dead, But it still receives decent 3rd party and indie support.

7+ Year Old Account
    I’m really sad about this. I love my vita, but it just became a weeb import simulator after a few years.

I got plenty of use out of my Vita and still do. There are plenty of weeb game that still come out that I play. It is sad that it was not supported as well as it could have been though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzek View Post
    I got plenty of use out of my Vita and still do. There are plenty of weeb game that still come out that I play. It is sad that it was not supported as well as it could have been though.
    It was supported pretty well for nearly 2 years. You can't blame Sony for making their AAA studios concentrate on PS4 games when the thing didn't catch on in the west.

The Vita carved out it's niche with Japanese 3rd parties and indy games and became a good system. Sony continuing to release light AAA games on it wasn't going to do anything, Uncharted and Killzone didn't do it, the thing even had an exclusive AC game for while. The mainstream AAA western crowd just didn't care.

What a load of bullshit.

Nintendo has nothing to do with Monster Hunter on the PC...

That's Capcom not wanting to bring the MH PC West until Worlds.

On topic, yeah, Vita's been on the verge of dead in the West for a long time. I mean, I love the console myself, but then I also open my Vita games and only see 5 sitting in there, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    On topic, yeah, Vita's been on the verge of dead in the West for a long time. I mean, I love the console myself, but then I also open my Vita games and only see 5 sitting in there, and it's just sad.
    I got about 30 games on mine and soon to add one more (Undertale CE). IMO The Vita is the perfect system to play Undertale.

Holy shit the Vita still exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    As much as exclusives suck for consumers, without them the consoles will not survive. See: Xbox One.
    What a tragedy it would be if consoles did not survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What a tragedy it would be if consoles did not survive.
    Ya it would be because it would hurt gaming on all platforms. Thankfully that is a future that we don't have to worry about since Consoles are doing great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ya it would be because it would hurt gaming on all platforms. Thankfully that is a future that we don't have to worry about since Consoles are doing great.
    If exclusives are the only thing propping them up then their death is in every gamer's best interests.

We should all be using cross compatible software/hardware whether it's in the form of a traditional PC, a laptop or a console. The fact we still aren't in 2017 is a tragedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.