Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    The last thing Nintendo needs is free exposure.

Sucky move, yeah, sure. But I always find it odd that people seem to think the free advertising helps Nintendo when its probably the smallest drop in the bucket.

Even people who barely know video games can probably name all of Nintendo's IPs. That's how well known they are. Mario is basically a household name, almost, if not on par with Mickey mouse. This is just another case of Nintendo doing what they want, because this field doesn't really matter to them.
    you talk like free advertising is a bad thing. also it gets a new generation of kids hooked on nintendo products who might not otherwise. nintendo needs to fucking wake up its not 2005 anymore and streaming is a real good way to get your product out there. there are in fact certain groups of people who mostly learn about games through watching streams and what not and refusing to take part in that is shooting yourself in the foot twice financially. nintendo needs to in some ways get out of the dark ages of gaming online. they act like it's the late 1990's/early 2009's in respects to their business practices and it's absurd. the only exception would probably be dlc. but that's only good for people who ALREADY HAVE THE GAMES.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you talk like free advertising is a bad thing. also it gets a new generation of kids hooked on nintendo products who might not otherwise. nintendo needs to fucking wake up its not 2005 anymore and streaming is a real good way to get your product out there. there are in fact certain groups of people who mostly learn about games through watching streams and what not and refusing to take part in that is shooting yourself in the foot twice financially. nintendo needs to in some ways get out of the dark ages of gaming online. they act like it's the late 1990's/early 2009's in respects to their business practices and it's absurd. the only exception would probably be dlc. but that's only good for people who ALREADY HAVE THE GAMES.
    No one is praising what Nintendo is doing, but you have to be realistic about how popular and well known Nintendo is. Nintendo pretty much brought video games out of the market crash and was the face of gaming for two decades. That has a huge cultural impact. So when people say Nintendo doesn't need the advertising they are correct in saying that.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Sega does what Nintendont. Specifically let folks freely create content using their games and monetize the videos, while reaping all that free marketing.
    Sega isn't even relevant to gaming, let alone this discussion.

Nintendo are idiots and seem to like shooting themselves in the foot. I honestly don't get how they dont realize that this sort of stuff just pisses people off. Then again, they are a company run by out of touch old farts who refuse to actually try and compete with their competition and have for decades, been stepping on the rise of 3rd party developers and not getting their support.

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    lmao people still go to that dead, cesspool forum?
    Everyone there seems to be a parody of the stereotypical social justice warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Everyone there seems to be a parody of the stereotypical social justice warrior.
    Well when you instantly ban anyone that isn't part of your SJW circle jerk that's what happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    No one is praising what Nintendo is doing, but you have to be realistic about how popular and well known Nintendo is. Nintendo pretty much brought video games out of the market crash and was the face of gaming for two decades. That has a huge cultural impact. So when people say Nintendo doesn't need the advertising they are correct in saying that.
    but again it doesn't hurt them.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a difference between knowing of a company and purchasing a companies products. The Wii U was the worst selling console since the Dreamcast, and the Dreamcast made SEGA get out of the console market.

Sure everyone knows of Mario but that doesn't inherently mean that they are going to go out and buy a Switch. You know what does? Seeing people play Super Mario Odyssey and seeing how amazing it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    There's a difference between knowing of a company and purchasing a companies products. The Wii U was the worst selling console since the Dreamcast, and the Dreamcast made SEGA get out of the console market.

Sure everyone knows of Mario but that doesn't inherently mean that they are going to go out and buy a Switch. You know what does? Seeing people play Super Mario Odyssey and seeing how amazing it looks.
    The primary target of Nintendo is the casuals, families and soccer moms. None of those care about online streaming. Core gamers already know all about Nintendo and seeing some streamer isn't going to be a deciding factor in them buying Nintendo hardware or not. The Wii U failed because Nintendo failed to show the above market how it was different from the Wii, those sales of the Wii U came from the core gamers.

People keep thinking this is because Nintendo doesn't want people watching playthroughs of their games which is false. It's because Nintendo doesn't want you making money off their IPs(remember if you're not in the program giving Nintendo a large cut then nintendo monetize's your videos, they don't take them down). If they ever find they can exploit Twitch the same way they can do youtube then expect the same there. Nintendo is like disney in the fact they have a stranglehold on their IPs and don't want them monetized in any way without their expensive licensing.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-10-01 at 07:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Figured this was thee truth as Nintendo is a Japanese company, but I wonder how many people actually realize what rights they signed away. Japanese law is not gonna be favorable for any youtuber, or any fair use as a legal doctrine.

This guys a tad dramatic, but he explains things well.

Who wants free advertising anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    Who even streams games on youtube when Twitch is so massive in comparison? I'd say youtube live is all about the IRL content and not the gaming stuff.

Twitch > Youtube Live at gaming
    Youtube Live > Twitch at IRL

As long as they don't restrict the option to stream their game on Twitch, it's fine.
    Even Mixer is a better place to stream than Youtube lol

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    There's a difference between knowing of a company and purchasing a companies products.
    And there's a huge difference between "knowing a company" and that same company being the very first thing the majority of people think of when they think of video games.

10+ Year Old Account
    And there's a huge difference between "knowing a company" and that same company being the very first thing the majority of people think of when they think of video games.
    Didn't seem to help them with the Wii U now did it? It sold less than 14 million. That's pathetic. Just because Nintendo is iconic doesn't mean everything they touch is going to turn into gold. In fact Nintendo may be the most well known game company but Sony has crushed them in every single generation since they started with the one exception being the Wii vs PS3 (and the PS3 only lost by 20 million which is nothing when comparing the Gamecube to the PS2).

Nintendo is certainly the most iconic, but they have never been as successful as Sony outside of the Wii U.

Do people really think nintendo gives a shit about the bad PR? every day/month/year the same damn morons are going to buy every single version of pokemon/mario/zelda, no matter what stupid shit they pull

Deleted
    I disliked Nintendo the moment they sold rare to microsoft.
    Just imagine banjo kazooie et al on the WII and future consoles..

It blows my mind that content creators still support that company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

I feel like this is more just Nintendo being Nintendo and not understanding how the internet works. I really hope they catch up with the modern world sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    I disliked Nintendo the moment they sold rare to microsoft.
    Just imagine banjo kazooie et al on the WII and future consoles..
    They didn't have a choice. They only owned 49% of RARE and the majority ownership was selling to MS. Either Nintendo was going to keep a stake in a developer who was going to start making xbox games or they cut ties entirely. Pretty simple.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    I feel like this is more just Nintendo being Nintendo and not understanding how the internet works. I really hope they catch up with the modern world sooner or later.
    No, they understand perfectly how it works. They understand people are making money by playing their games and want to do everything in their power to either stop that or take that money because they believe it's rightfully theirs. That is Nintendo's PoV and they aren't going to budge on that matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    But I always find it odd that people seem to think the free advertising helps Nintendo when its probably the smallest drop in the bucket.

Even people who barely know video games can probably name all of Nintendo's IPs. That's how well known they are. Mario is basically a household name, almost, if not on par with Mickey mouse. This is just another case of Nintendo doing what they want, because this field doesn't really matter to them.
    What you're talking about is general brand awareness, which generally isn't a factor for any kind of gaming content on YouTube anyway since people tend to watch content for games they are already familiar with.

No one is saying that Nintendo content on YouTube benefits Nintendo by making new people aware that Mario is a thing. But it benefits Nintendo because watching that gameplay may inspire people to purchase a game they don't have and are considering. It benefits Nintendo by growing and supporting their fans and the communities built around their games, which encourages brand loyalty among other thing. And it benefits Nintendo because watched and liked videos tend to get shared and it spreads all those other benefits even further.

There is a reason almost every other developer and/or publisher of video games allows creator content on platforms like Twitch and YouTube. It is because it is beneficial to them. Nintendo might have extremely pervasive brand awareness already but they could absolutely still gain quite a lot from discarding their outdated approach to creator content.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    but again it doesn't hurt them.
    No one said it did either.

Me pointing out they don't need it isn't making it sound bad for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    What you're talking about is general brand awareness, which generally isn't a factor for any kind of gaming content on YouTube anyway since people tend to watch content for games they are already familiar with.

No one is saying that Nintendo content on YouTube benefits Nintendo by making new people aware that Mario is a thing. But it benefits Nintendo because watching that gameplay may inspire people to purchase a game they don't have and are considering. It benefits Nintendo by growing and supporting their fans and the communities built around their games, which encourages brand loyalty among other thing. And it benefits Nintendo because watched and liked videos tend to get shared and it spreads all those other benefits even further.

There is a reason almost every other developer and/or publisher of video games allows creator content on platforms like Twitch and YouTube. It is because it is beneficial to them. Nintendo might have extremely pervasive brand awareness already but they could absolutely still gain quite a lot from discarding their outdated approach to creator content.
    I'd have to disagree a bit on the first part, isn't the opposite why people like TotalBiscuit, PewDiePie, and even Markiplier all got so popular? Because they would take games people have no idea about and play them, or at least pretty obscure titles. I'd think more people watch for the streamer/creator themselves over whatever game they're playing. I could be horribly wrong, but the game itself only seems like an entry point to the creator.

For example, let's say you were super interested in the new Mario, and you happen to find something let's say Markiplier put out for it, and you found him really entertaining. From there, you might start watching the rest of his videos, out of curiosity and because, well you had a good time watching the Mario one! That's what tends to happen more in my experience, I could be horribly wrong though.

And that's what I mean though. While it is an outdated and stupid approach, I don't think it's something that ends up pushing enough people to get the game that Nintendo ends up caring about. They already use their name to get the attention, and then from there they upload their own gameplay footage/trailers and what not. I'm not trying to claim it's not helpful at all, I'm saying that it's not helpful enough for them to care it seems.

I mean, for Sega as an example, I could see why they'd want to push more stuff like this, because people were burned repeatedly by Sonic games, so getting people out there playing Sonic Mania would spread the word faster of "Hey, this game is actually amazing!".