Thread: PC box advice

Deleted

PC box advice

So i'm building a new pc with the release of the 8700k and wanted some advice on what case to buy. My current one was good (Coolermaster HAF) however because it had so much airflow, my PC got incredibly dusty, every 2 months I had to clean the dust and I was always shocked how much there was, but honestly it just seems like where I live dust accumulates faster or something.

Can anyone suggest any good cases? I seem to like the look of the NZXT s340 after doing some research, but if anyone has a similar problem with dust and could recommend something better that would be great!

I personally have the phanteks enthoo evolv. It looks damn good (imo), there's a dust filter in the front, and it was incredibly easy to build in (hinged doors for side panels). Highly recommend. No complaints.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    I personally have the phanteks enthoo evolv. It looks damn good (imo), there's a dust filter in the front, and it was incredibly easy to build in (hinged doors for side panels). Highly recommend. No complaints.
    Looks really good, I may be sold

I have the NZXT s340 and absolutely love it. Dust isn't terrible, but mine is on carpet and no pets. Not sure if yours is or not? I have wanted to get a different case just because, but can't seem to find one I want more. I love it.

That phanteks is a good looking case tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Osheri View Post
    Looks really good, I may be sold
    I've built in the Evolv ITX (my current rig); i have similarly glowing things to say about Phanteks' build quality and the ease of building in the case. They also have tempered glass versions of the Evolv lineup now as well that look much nicer.

Im building a new rig with the Coffee Lake release (not out of any real need, but i want to RGB blingify my rig and my old Z97 board has few options that way, so its a vanity rebuild), and ill be using the Phanteks Evolv Shift:

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-Shift.html

... if only NewEgg hadnt sold out in like ten minutes... =<

THere is also a bigger version called the Shift-X (though still mITX).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Msshammy View Post
    I have the NZXT s340 and absolutely love it. Dust isn't terrible, but mine is on carpet and no pets. Not sure if yours is or not? I have wanted to get a different case just because, but can't seem to find one I want more. I love it.

That phanteks is a good looking case tbh.
    Mine is on a wooden floor and yes I do have 2 cats. I like the look of the NZXT s340 but my only issue is that it doesn't come in full ATX. I do generally prefer the larger cases.

The phanteks is a bit pricey though, £180 atm compared to the £80 of the NZXT.

Did the NZXT s340 come with the water cooling for the cpu as I have seen in some pictures?

No, it doesn't come with any water cooling.

From looking at it, the s340 is definitely full ATX.

Its just not a huge case, it's a mid-tower. It's still plenty big.

Big cases are kind of ... dunno, extremely unnecessary (outside of aesthetics/wanting a big case because you simply want it).

Power consumption and therefore heat production are down across the board and continuing to fall. You can get full enthusiast grade hardware into a Mini-ITX case that is no bigger than the PS4 Pro or Xbone with no thermal issues.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2017-10-04 at 05:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osheri View Post
    So i'm building a new pc with the release of the 8700k and wanted some advice on what case to buy. My current one was good (Coolermaster HAF) however because it had so much airflow, my PC got incredibly dusty, every 2 months I had to clean the dust and I was always shocked how much there was, but honestly it just seems like where I live dust accumulates faster or something.

Can anyone suggest any good cases? I seem to like the look of the NZXT s340 after doing some research, but if anyone has a similar problem with dust and could recommend something better that would be great!
    I had the HAF X, what was your fan setup ?

I'm also building a Coffee Lake system (CPU + Cooler, GPU, Ram, Case, PSU) I have a $1500 budget for what I don't have already. So I might actually be going with an 8700 non K, or even an 8600K.

I've decided to get the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M because a full tower is out of my budget and I need a case that supports two mechanical HDD's and an optical drive, which isn't as common as you'd expect.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811854019
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-10-04 at 05:43 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

15+ Year Old Account
    I second, third and fourth the Phanteks line. Fractal Designs cases are nice as well. Both have good filters, and if you run your fan setup with positive airflow there will be very little dust.

I have a dog and 2 cats and I clean my PCs every few (3-4) months and the cases from both suppliers have very little dust in them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    No, it doesn't come with any water cooling.

From looking at it, the s340 is definitely full ATX.

Its just not a huge case, it's a mid-tower. It's still plenty big.

Big cases are kind of ... dunno, extremely unnecessary (outside of aesthetics/wanting a big case because you simply want it).

Power consumption and therefore heat production are down across the board and continuing to fall. You can get full enthusiast grade hardware into a Mini-ITX case that is no bigger than the PS4 Pro or Xbone with no thermal issues.
    Im thinking to get the phanteks enthoo evolv or the s340. What cooling system would you say is good?

I will be getting an 8700k and probably one of the MSI z370. Thinking also to keep my gtx 970 till next gen comes out instead of upgrading now.

I can add another endorsement for the Phanteks cases. I have the Phanteks P400S with the tempered glass side panel. It is a bit smaller (mid tower, not full) but has sound dampening material on all sides (other than the glass side obviously), a built in fan controller with three speeds, dust filers on the top and front, and LED controller with included strip. Not to mention that it is also quite affordable, $89.99 USD on Newegg right now. I have had it a few months and definitely like it. I have a 4770k with an NZXT kraken x52 for cooling and an MSI gtx 980ti and have no issues with airflow.

You make me want to build again just to build in that case.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    You make me want to build again just to build in that case.
    It is sexy huh.