Poll: Do you think, that no flying on Argus brakes previous promise, given back in WOD?

Page 1 of 31
... LastLast

No flying on Argus - broken promise?

Remember this Dev Watercooler? It was said there, that "Unlocking flying via mastering content on a ground on one character - is general blueprint going forward for content to come". Don't you think, that no flying on Argus breaks this promise?

I want to clarify one thing. Biggest question isn't why Argus as it is now doesn't have flying. Answer is obvious - because it's designed without flying in mind. Biggest question is why it has been designed without flying in mind in a first place, after it had been promised, that flying would be granted for mastering ground content on one character in all future content? I.e. we don't actually ask Blizzard to enable flying on Argus, cuz it's design is so bad, that flying wouldn't help anyway. We ask them to never make such no-flying only locations again.

Another thing - about no-flying "isles" in old content. Rules of obtaining flying have changed since 6.2 - therefore all other "rules" don't apply too. That's why it was so silly to hear, how Blizzard used this "It was like that back in <xpack>" argument.

About "Argus was added in patch, therefore no flying" argument. Ehhh. I've forgotten, that I've been sitting on official forums all that time and that this argument is proved to be wrong there, but not here, I guess. Don't you realize, how silly this excuse from Blizzard is? You should clearly understand, that whole xpack's content is most likely already developed by the time, when xpack is released, and that it's only up to Blizzard to decide, whether they want to spoil some parts of it via showing them in Beta and some scenarios or just hide them from players till some future patch to make them surprise. Blizzard just can't show whole story of xpack right at it's release, right? And basing whole flying/no flying decision just on such crappy thing, as whether location (but not content itself and location is just a bunch of textures) is shown prior to it's release and reused later or not - is just silly logic. This two things just have nothing to do with each other.

Also. Only BC and MOP had no-flying content in last patches of xpack. All other xpacks had them in a middle of xpack - and therefore such content could have been simply skipped without any harm for culmination of xpack's story and progression of your character.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2017-10-04 at 06:39 PM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

While I think it was pretty underhanded the way they dealt with flying this expansion, I just can't seem to get the picture of a little kid whining to mommy or daddy every time somebody says blizzard "promised" something.

Seriously people, stahp it!

They're not promising anything, they're just trying to communicate with the community.

A general direction is not a set in stone procedure.

Threads like these are why developers hesitate to communicate with the playerbase. Give a bit of insight into their thoughts, and the community flips it as "broken promises" the first chance they get.

Who expected to fly on Argus? This is part of a long line of patch zones where you cannot fly. Even in flying-friendly expansions like BC and Cata you had Isle of Quel'danas and Molten Front.

This is silly topic. Argus is way too small (and the zones separated) for flying. Could probably use one or two more teleporters in Antorus Wastes and Krokuun, though.

It sort of is a broken promise, but not entirely in this situation.

I think the biggest issue with no flying on Argus is that nothing is actually new in terms of mechanics or gameplay. It's literally more of the same world quest grind we've been doing all expansion, over and over again and people don't actually find that fun enough on its own to not have flying for it. (Relatively close to when people just got flying on top of it)

Then there is the issue of the 3 zones being split apart. Giving us the Cataclysm problem of where it doesn't feel connected enough.
    Last edited by nyc81991; 2017-10-04 at 05:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol. I actually laughed out loud when I saw this thread title.

Nope, no broken promises at all. Patch content has never had flying. Get over it.

Deleted
    Where exactly did they promise anything?

They said it is a blueprint they are going to use in the future, but didn't exactly state they would use it in every instance.
    Besides; you are quoting a 2 year-old post (which didn't promise anything in the 1st place)... do you realize how stupid doing that is in the gaming business?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    lol. I actually laughed out loud when I saw this thread title.

Nope, no broken promises at all. Patch content has never had flying. Get over it.
    Never? That isn't true at all. What patch content could you not fly in during Wotlk or Cata? Coincidently the same period WoW had the highest sub count to date.
    Last edited by nyc81991; 2017-10-04 at 05:13 AM.

Couldn't fly in WG originally- it was changed for the worse. Couldn't fly in Tol Barad.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Never? That isn't true at all. What patch zone could you not fly in during Wotlk or Cata? Coincidently the same period WoW had the highest sub count to date.
    What patch zone did they add in Wrath again? I seem to recall there only being the ones from launch.

Cata had firelands which was no flying.

Never? That isn't true at all. What patch zone could you not fly in during Wotlk or Cata? Coincidently the same period WoW had the highest sub count to date.
    Well, technically Molten Front in Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    What patch zone did they add in Wrath again? I seem to recall there only being the ones from launch.

ah yea forgot about molten front nice catch.

Hrothgar's Landing was added in 3.2 and was flying capable, but it remains the smallest zone in the game by quite a bit and was only really used for parts of some dailies.

BC 2.4: Quel'danas (no flying)
    Wrath 3.2: Hrothgar's Landing (flying)
    Cata 4.2: Molten Front (no flying)
    MoP 5.4: Timeless Isle (no flying)
    WoD 6.3: Tanaan Jungle (gated flying)
    Legion 7.2: Broken Shores (gated flying)
    Legion 7.3: Argus (no flying)

The recent precedent has been for gated flying.

I think we realistically should have a form of gated flying unlockable for the account that requires completion of the zones (like completed Argus quest line + exalted with Argussian Reach and Army of the Light). As much flak as gated flying has received, I think it makes sense to have it in the game. The only part of it that necessarily feels bad is having to unlock flying behind a time gate (7.2) and then having it unavailable entirely (7.3).
    Last edited by Fritters154; 2017-10-04 at 05:25 AM.

Have you really been saying "WoW is dead" since 1964?
    Or are you part of a secret society, with 64 shadowy members, dedicated to the death of WoW?
    Are you part of a Russian conspiracy to spread online memes and affect WoW participation in the west?
    Maybe you work for Exorsus!

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Sorry I meant "content". You stated and I quote
    "Patch content has never had flying"
    You are correct about Firelands. I forgot about the mini daily zone. But outside of that, every patch in those expansions had flying available.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

You are correct about Firelands. I forgot about the mini daily zone. But outside of that, every patch in those expansions had flying available.
    Argus is basically a less-shit version of Firelands, in terms of where it's positioned in the history of the expansion and what it provides mechanically.

I didn't post and say that patch content has never had flying. That was Jaylock?

Anyway, who cares if they add a small area to an already existing zone. It isn't the same thing. The Argent Tournament being added in Icecrown is not the same thing as the Molten Front or Argus. Those are entirely new zones which don't allow for flying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    Hrothgar's Landing was added in 3.2 and was flying capable, but it remains the smallest zone in the game by quite a bit and was only really used for parts of some dailies.

BC 2.4: Quel'danas (no flying)
    Wrath 3.2: Hrothgar's Landing (flying)
    Cata 4.2: Molten Front (no flying)
    MoP 5.4: Timeless Isle (no flying)
    WoD 6.3: Tanaan Jungle (gated flying)
    Legion 7.2: Broken Shores (gated flying)
    Legion 7.3: Argus (no flying)
    You forgot the Isle of Thunder and the Isle of Giants. Both in MoP. Neither had flying.

You forgot the Isle of Thunder and the Isle of Giants. Both in MoP. Neither had flying.
    Oh yeah, thanks! Totally forgot about those.

No flying is less expensive than full flying implementation. It also takes much longer to consume the content, especially if you create some fucking retarded terrain that makes you run in circles until you see that little path to the fucking hidden cave, that's underwater on the other side of the map...

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    No flying is less expensive than full flying implementation. It also takes much longer to consume the content, especially if you create some fucking retarded terrain that makes you run in circles until you see that little path to the fucking hidden cave, that's underwater on the other side of the map...
    You couldn't be more wrong. It doesn't take much longer to make an area flyable, they just have to lift the skybox and make any terrain that couldn't be reached 3D instead of 2D, in Argus' case, that wouldn't have been much extra work at all. However, the point here is, Argus doesn't make sense to be able to fly. You're on a fucking planet that is under constant threat from the Legion, and if they did decide to add flying, you'd have invisible walls since the entire area is blocked off by fake backgrounds to give the image you're actually on a planet.

Also, no promises were broken, the main content of the expansion you got to fly in, every expansion (except wrath) had a sub patch zone that had no flying available, this is Legion's version of that.