Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
I understand that commodity futures are used for speculation but they are also broadly used for their actual intended purpose; to allow producers to normalize cost of production. Moreover for many companies that depend on such commodities, the required positions to secure their supply are fairly extensive to begin with.
One idea would be to limit access to the commodity market to companies that utilize commodities.

As for land assets being primarily used for investment honestly I feel the better solution would be to disincentivize it by utilizing the tax code; properties held for investment should be taxed at a higher rate.
Sure that's why I called for position limits. Furthermore their are investors who's interests are PURELY speculative meaning they don't want a god damn thing to do with the actual commodity it's merely a position for them to gain on the inflated value of the commodity. That needs to end like yesterday. It's one thing if a producer of a good wants to hedge his bets against rising commodity prices. It's another if some dick on wall street wants to ride the wave and make money for nothing.

Taxation is one tool to stop people from treating land assets as investment vehicles. Requiring people actually live in that property in that country is another.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post

The great lie of our time. Granted things may be different in Canada.

But the housing shortages and inflated prices in the U.S. are completely fabricated. A cursory glance at the issues in the UK brings me to a similar conclusion.
They aren't unfortunately. The rising prices in places like vancouver and toronto are almost all due to foreign investors treating housing as an investment vehcile. It's actually quite amusing to watch condos go up like weeds here. Yet another inevitable housing bubble to pop soon enough.