Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blizzard Arena Opens, Tweets, Heroes - Junkrat and Hallow's End, DLC #601

Season 11 Ends Oct 20th, Season 12 Starts November 9th

The Everlasting Gobstopper Card Design Competition

Blizzard Arena in Los Angeles
    Blizzard's new arena opened this weekend for the Overwatch Contenders Season One Playoffs!

Game Developer Tweets
    Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
    From your answer about mistakes new game designers make you mentioned “Not recognizing that they have reached a point of diminishing returns.” Can you explain what that means?
    As a developer, there are a limited number of hours in the work week (even if you willingly work extra hours, which a lot of Rioters do). If you are spending your time on problem X, then you aren’t spending your time on problem Y.

If you get problem X to a solution that you would grade as an 85% in a day, and it takes you another day to get it to 90%, then you’re only improving it by 5% a day compared to your original output of 85% a day. That’s the diminishing returns part. Your efficiency drops to the floor, particularly compared to other projects you could be working on.

Now I’m not advocating shipping crappy, half-baked, or phoned-in designs. But in this business hitting 100% is almost never realistic, and the cost of hitting 100% isn’t worth it when you consider the opportunity cost of what you’re not doing in the same window. You have probably heard the phrase “The enemy of good is perfect.”

Junior designers mismanage this all the time. They get so excited about their project that they don’t want to live within any constraints. They are completely focused on how awesome their project is and lose sight of the cost of that project (in terms of their time).

I once spent several days setting up a battle between two NPCs that was just background action for players to make it feel like a battle was raging all around them. It looked really cool, but it took a long time to set up. If this was the climax of a big moment, then maybe that expenditure was worth it. Or maybe I should have spent that time to set up two different battles that would have more impact on players in the long run.

Another way this manifests is when a junior designer spends too much time trying to save a flawed concept rather than recognizing that it probably can’t be saved without weeks of work and that they would be better off to consider alternative concepts. (Source)

Heroes of the Storm - Junkrat, Hallow’s End, and More!
    This week we got a preview of Junkrat, the Hallow's End event, and other things in development.

FinalBossTV - Episode #153: Mythic Dungeon Invitational
    Check out FinalBossTV on Sunday for the Mythic Dungeon Invitational episode!

Dark Legacy Comics #601 - Play to Whine
    DLC #601 has been released!

Last edited by chaud; 2017-10-08 at 05:19 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Junkrat was always one of my favorite Overwatch chars to play, so cool it's coming to HotS

15+ Year Old Account
    Nice venue. A bit less seating than I had imagined, but I guess the major tournaments will still be taking place in convention centers and sports arenas. I wonder what other locations they'll open up additional arenas at.

Deleted
    Overwatch esport is a meme.

Deleted
    Those skins look lazy AF.

This Dark Legacy comic has been released a week ago. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    Last year there were 2 major skins as well. We got 2 high quality skins this year + some fun ones which are just the characters dressing up for Halloween. + Some really hilarious and epic mounts.

Do MMO-Champion and Ghostcrawler have some sort of lovey dove relationship? He hasn't worked at Blizzard for years. -_-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Razaron View Post
    Do MMO-Champion and Ghostcrawler have some sort of lovey dove relationship? He hasn't worked at Blizzard for years. -_-

Ghostcrawler is like old women front of their house... when you leave your house and they accost you from the other side of the street: "Do you go away, son?" "Yes, I do..."

I hope when Ian gets booted from Blizzard he will not give us these type of cancer comments about things that he doesn't understand...
    Last edited by mmocfd328e0b6e; 2017-10-08 at 11:17 AM.

Renaming "Ghostcrawler tweets" to "Game Developer Tweets" doesn't make them relevant. Just stop.

People asked for cheaper skins because every new skin was legendary, and therefore expensive. Not every new skin needs to be insane.

Deleted
    Best DL comic in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Razaron View Post
    Who cares? They are generic game development questions, hes a game developer. Most don't openly chat about stuff, so it's nice to hear from a game developer to see behind the curtain a bit. It's easy to scroll past it if you don't care.

Best DLC ever.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like the new crossover of Blizzard and Team Fortress 2 they are doing in HotS

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, most of the ones they showed are either rare or epic quality (aka extremely cheap to obtain).

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that a Joker Junkrat? Epic.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaric View Post
    Renaming "Ghostcrawler tweets" to "Game Developer Tweets" doesn't make them relevant. Just stop.
    It's probably easier to stop being butt hurt. Maybe if you and others didn't have such an irrational haterection for the guy you'd see that they're usually filled with interesting tidbits of information in regards to MMOs and gaming in general from someone who has authority to talk about such things.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhru View Post
    Ghostcrawler is like old women front of their house... when you leave your house and they accost you from the other side of the street: "Do you go away, son?" "Yes, I do..."

I hope when Ian gets booted from Blizzard he will not give us these type of cancer comments about things that he doesn't understand...
    Except..what he said is 100% correct and you’re just a hater hating on something because YOU are butthurt. Don’t get it twisted. There is absolutely nothing invalid about the points he made, and it’s true in many aspects of adult* life.

*requires adulthood to understand, sorry bud.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

first pic, snack booth! lol