10+ Year Old Account
    Trump and China sign Phase One deal.

"What's in it?"

We don't know. The text was not released before signing.

"What's supposed to be in it?"

Sources say that China could purchase $50 billion in ag goods --

"AHAH! So you were wrong!"

-- over two years. Not one. In other words, due to inflation, about what they were buying pre-Trump. The amount China spent in 2012, $25.9 billion, adjusted to 2020 would be $30.3 billion. Trump's "historic" result is worse than Obama did without enacting the largest tax increase on Americans ever.

"But..but...it will remove those tariffs!"

Apparently not. The new ones that were threatened won't be applied, but some are reduced and some remain in place at full value.

"...doesn't this mean those billions Trump claims he's getting from China are down?"

Well, if he lived in the real world, yes. Expect Trump to say that lowering the tariffs, which he said were winning, was winning. Remember, Trump tries to make every single thing he ever does the best bestiest best. You can't say that, while backtracking, without being a hypocrite.

"But at least the Phase One deal prevents all new tariffs."

Fuck, no. Mnuchin himself personally said that Trump could add more whenever he wants.

Naturally, the WH is painting this as some amazing historic thing. Despite the major benefits appearing to be "undoing some of the effects Trump himself caused unilaterally." Trump has also recently suggested that Phase Two would be postponed -- possibly because China's not signing anything else and he knows it -- and that Phase One, yes the thing they just signed that barely does anything, was the "heavy lifting".

For all the effort and turmoil over the past few years, the deal that President Trump plans to sign tomorrow hardly seems to advance the United States past square one.

I fear that with an election around the corner, the president is taking the easy way out—settling for a weak deal that will cost American businesses, American farmers, and American workers for years and years to come,
    -- Schumer, yesterday.

So, in that respect, this Phase One deal is a lot like NAFTA 1.0.0.2 in that it does nearly nothing new, while Trump celebrates it like an outstanding victory.

- - - Updated - - -

Addendum: here is the full released text. Axios also points out that
    1) it's basically China agreeing to buy stuff they wanted anyhow (and, as I pointed out, no more than they were already buying) and
    2) China's President didn't even bother to come to the US to sign it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump and China sign Phase One deal.

"What's in it?"

We don't know. The text was not released before signing.

"What's supposed to be in it?"

Sources say that China could purchase $50 billion in ag goods --

"AHAH! So you were wrong!"

-- over two years. Not one. In other words, due to inflation, about what they were buying pre-Trump. The amount China spent in 2012, $25.9 billion, adjusted to 2020 would be $30.3 billion. Trump's "historic" result is worse than Obama did without enacting the largest tax increase on Americans ever.

"But..but...it will remove those tariffs!"

Apparently not. The new ones that were threatened won't be applied, but some are reduced and some remain in place at full value.

"...doesn't this mean those billions Trump claims he's getting from China are down?"

Well, if he lived in the real world, yes. Expect Trump to say that lowering the tariffs, which he said were winning, was winning. Remember, Trump tries to make every single thing he ever does the best bestiest best. You can't say that, while backtracking, without being a hypocrite.

"But at least the Phase One deal prevents all new tariffs."

Fuck, no. Mnuchin himself personally said that Trump could add more whenever he wants.

Naturally, the WH is painting this as some amazing historic thing. Despite the major benefits appearing to be "undoing some of the effects Trump himself caused unilaterally." Trump has also recently suggested that Phase Two would be postponed -- possibly because China's not signing anything else and he knows it -- and that Phase One, yes the thing they just signed that barely does anything, was the "heavy lifting".

-- Schumer, yesterday.

So, in that respect, this Phase One deal is a lot like NAFTA 1.0.0.2 in that it does nearly nothing new, while Trump celebrates it like an outstanding victory.

- - - Updated - - -

Addendum: here is the full released text. Axios also points out that
    1) it's basically China agreeing to buy stuff they wanted anyhow (and, as I pointed out, no more than they were already buying) and
    2) China's President didn't even bother to come to the US to sign it.
    The entire thing was a complete shit show that will not reduce the overall burden on American farmers. And if they continue to support these ( lol ) policies ( hahaha ) they deserve to lose their generational asset. This could have all been avoided should the US stayed onboard for the TPP but no, they wanted to have their cake and eat it while hand waving at others. The world is globalized and people in the more richer nation will be forced to accept less until a universal currency is in place to make the playing field even. To those that think globalization will go away are either morons or they have no idea how the international finance system works or operates.

I know i post alot from Marketwatch but i work with this bank ( HSBC ) and it showcases exactly what the real problems are overall https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ph...?mod=home-page

For those wondering and saying that ALL IS WELL IN THE FINANCIAL MARKETS look at this little gem
    https://twitter.com/WSJmarkets/statu...-lightening%2F

And for those wondering why we are in this situation and what will likely keep on causing these Hiccups and the like. I highly suggest everyone to read this as it outright says that they are being purposefully dangerous because they will be rewarded for it.

https://www.newyorkfed.org/newsevent...2020/wil200114

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...plus-monologue

Someone let grandpa in front of the cameras for a quick photo op.

And he wouldn't shut up. About anything.

I feel bad for the poor Chinese trade reps and others in that room that didn't anticipate an hour-long monologue with time for some Q&A, that was never in the plans to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    That trade deal is like applauding a man for putting out the fire he started in his kitchen from microwaving a fork wrapped in oil soaked rags.

We’re essentially shifting back towards square one with China with nothing materially gained for having gone through this ordeal.

Would be nice if the people that voted for this orange turd pull their lower lips over their heads and swallow themselves into an Ouroboros of imbecility.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2020-01-15 at 10:26 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...plus-monologue

Someone let grandpa in front of the cameras for a quick photo op.

And he wouldn't shut up. About anything.

I feel bad for the poor Chinese trade reps and others in that room that didn't anticipate an hour-long monologue with time for some Q&A, that was never in the plans to begin with.
    Holy shit - apparently he went on for over an hour. Dementia is a terrible affliction from which no one wins.

- - - Updated - - -

Very random and truly horrifying thought.

If Trump wins in 2020, we'll certainly see "chatter/jokes" about him wanting a third term. I don't think that would be possible, even given the level of corruption the GOP is currently embracing vis a vis the Trump Crime Family.

But Trump could certainly be the Vice President on a ticket.

Was wrong - the 12 Amendment prevents this from happening. Thanks @DarkTZeratul
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-01-15 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    But Trump could certainly be the Vice President on a ticket.
    He cannot. The 22nd Amendment only specifies elections, but the 12th Amendment states, "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    He cannot. The 22nd Amendment only specifies elections, but the 12th Amendment states, "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."
    Damn - I did not realize that. Thanks for finding it and posting it nicely.

Side note - we (forum, not you and I) had a longer conversation about Obama running on Biden's ticket in 2020 and no one brought this up. Great find!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Donald Trump, surrounded by enemies in Washington, has identified a new foe.

Modern dishwashers.

Yes.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/d...now-apparently

There are quite a few jokes to be made here, but I'll avoid most of them since they're on the cruder and lewder side of things.
    This has been an going thing for him, like with toilets. I don't know why he keeps talking about water based appliances/fixtures, but this is just plain strange.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    That trade deal is like applauding a man for putting out the fire he started in his kitchen from microwaving a fork wrapped in oil soaked rags.
    Pfft, you sound just like the National Farmer's Union.

Given the numerous deals that have been reached and then breached in the past two years, we are also skeptical. And without more concrete details, we are deeply concerned that all of this pain may not have been worth it.
    Thanks to @Shadowferal for the source.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    This has been an going thing for him, like with toilets. I don't know why he keeps talking about water based appliances/fixtures, but this is just plain strange.
    I mean I am pretty sure Donald Trump has used a toilet, so at least he has some experience there. I highly doubt he has ever used a dishwasher in his life. I am not even sure how he came to the conclusion modern dishwashers suck.

And I don't know anyone else that hates modern dishwashers. I know a lot of people that hate old dishwashers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    The odds of trump having used a dishwasher are the same as the odds he’s been to the grocery store.
    The last time he got a new dishwasher, it was named Melania. He looking to trade in for another import?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Look at the section's list of moderators.
    Thank god. One of the worst mods I've ever encountered on any forum.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    I think Wyrt is referring to this from January 3rd:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...2#post51897442

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Note that technically Obama is still constitutionally eligible to BE president. He simply can't be ELECTED as president. The logic is mired in technicalities but the whole thing is untested. I think it would be fairly unlikely for a normal person to try to force the issue, but with Trump who knows.

See:
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fo...ice-president/

Helluva loophole.

To be fair, the 12th amendment wasn't really written with the 22nd in mind, as it predates it considerably. The 22nd probably should have explicitly stated if presidents who had exceeded the term limit were eligible for VP or not.

I don't think there's anything stopping Obama serving as eg the Speaker of the House, so if enough people get impeached / die he could actually theoretically become president again anyway. It's just the succession chain is a lot shorter if he's the VP.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Note that technically Obama is still constitutionally eligible to BE president. He simply can't be ELECTED as president. The logic is mired in technicalities but the whole thing is untested. I think it would be fairly unlikely for a normal person to try to force the issue, but with Trump who knows.

See:
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fo...ice-president/
    Well, he can only be President for up to ten years, so there really is no logical scenario how it happens. He couldn't be VP, so it would have to be him being lower on the list of succession.

Lev parnas is talking.

Not the investigation Trump wanted from Ukraine, but the one he deserves: "Ukraine Announces Criminal Investigation Into Surveillance Of Marie Yovanovitch"

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/u...ie-yovanovitch

Where's our justice department on this, btw?