10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Probably because, unsurprisingly, the Trump administration whipped this up and pushed it public without going through all the proper channels, processes, and procedures for something like creating a logo for a new agency.

"Quick, distraction Star-Trek knockoff logo! STOP LOOKING AT THE IMPEACHMENT!"
    Well, again, it isn't exactly a Star Trek knockoff. Both Space Force and Star Trek were copying 1960-Present US Space Program seals. It is common inspiration, and Space Force frankly has a better claim then Star Trek.

That said, the more I think about this, the weirder it gets. Absolutely no announcement or acknowledgement from any DoD source, just thrown on Trump's twitter feed in the middle of a Friday afternoon with no fanfare. The Military LOVES ceremonies. They have ceremonies for everything, we will have a 2 hour ceremony to rename a maintenance shed, with rehearsals the day before. The military isn't going to want the symbol that represents an entire branch to be rolled out on a Page where the pinned image right now is this one:

Yes, that is a meme that Trump has pinned on his official Twitter feed while announcing the seal that will sit next to the Seal of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force.

There couldn't be a less military way of handling this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    There couldn't be a less military way of handling this.
    Which makes sense, until you remember Trump went to god-damn military school.

But I guess his brain is so addled by this point that he's probably forgotten he even went to one.

10+ Year Old Account

But I guess his brain is so addled by this point that he's probably forgotten he even went to one.
    Military School has nothing to do with Military... Those schools are intended to be "Military Style", they are rich kid prep schools, nothing more.

its kind of a meme that military school is where brats who aren't fit for regular school are sent. wouldn't be surprised if he kept a grudge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Military School has nothing to do with Military... Those schools are intended to be "Military Style", they are rich kid prep schools, nothing more.
    yea but he seems to have a weird fixation with the military that may stem from that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starlord View Post
    yea but he seems to have a weird fixation with the military that may stem from that.
    Pretty sure that is a generic power fetish. The military has a core function of imposing the nation's will on others by use of violence. The reality of what it takes to do so is not appealing to people like Trump, but the concept is.

Basically they like the idea of threatening and killing people, of winning awards and wearing shiny uniforms, they like the idea of everyone treating you like a hero. They do not like things like discipline, enduring hardship, self sacrifice, loyalty, and commitment to a cause.

I honestly don't think that has anything to do with military school, it is a common fixation for bullies and cowards that fancy themselves to be tough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Just up and stealing the Starfleet logo now, apparently. Lol.
    I'm afraid the answer is far worse.

Begun....the Deep Fakes have....

https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status...065338368?s=20

See if you can pinpoint the people without a sense of humor in the comments.

I mean...I just want to remind everyone.

The Secretary of State, the top diplomat for the United States of America, told a journalist, on the record and (maybe?) recorded, that

Do you think Americans care about Ukraine?
    I cannot stress enough how much damage this could do to our relationship with Ukraine, and the standing of the US with our allies. What other countries does he think Americans don't care about?

10+ Year Old Account
    He was butthurt because she pointed out Ukraine on a map, making him look like an idiot. Not that that's hard.

The Secretary of State, the top diplomat for the United States of America, told a journalist, on the record and (maybe?) recorded, that

I cannot stress enough how much damage this could do to our relationship with Ukraine, and the standing of the US with our allies. What other countries does he think Americans don't care about?
    It's the "people will hear about this" threat that I find particularly alarming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    It's the "people will hear about this" threat that I find particularly alarming.
    Eh, I wouldn't read too much into that specifically.

Yes it's an absolutely disgraceful way for a Secretary of State to behave, but that particular type of behavior isn't uncommon - weaponising male anger to try and shut down legitimate criticism or lines of inquiry. Pompeo has been reported as having done so while in the CIA, and we all know that's Trump's preferred tactic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Eh, I wouldn't read too much into that specifically.

Yes it's an absolutely disgraceful way for a Secretary of State to behave, but that particular type of behavior isn't uncommon - weaponising male anger to try and shut down legitimate criticism or lines of inquiry. Pompeo has been reported as having done so while in the CIA, and we all know that's Trump's preferred tactic.
    I find government officials in general, but Secretaries of State in particular, threatening reporters pretty damn alarming. Even if you're saying you assume it's an empty threat (so great that whether that's true is a completely open question...), that's the power of the US government being brought to bear to intimidate and otherwise "chill" a free press. That's seriously fucked up and troubling.

10+ Year Old Account

but remember, its not people SAYING things like that thats the problem,
    its the reporters talking about it, so sayth the "patriots" of the GOP

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    He was butthurt because she pointed out Ukraine on a map, making him look like an idiot. Not that that's hard.
    Something our President could never do.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Trump couldn’t point out most of the states if the map wasn’t labeled, let alone foreign nations.
    I'd wager he couldn't point out most states even if it WAS labeled. He is deteriorating fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like, I can't begin to describe my anger at Pompeo's absolute shitshow of behavior that's more fitting for a highschool jock than a Secretary of State.

This is not normal. This SHOULD NOT be normal. If Republicans had an ounce of a spine, they'd call for his immediate resignation for behavior that's far, far, far below the office of the Secretary of State.

I just can't believe we have an administration behaving in such a manner for 3 years and the response from 1/3 to 1/2 of the country is, "Yeah, this is fine.", and from the Republican party writ-large. Because one of the lone dissenters left the party, Amash, specifically because they refused to stand up to Trump.
    I also wanna point out the absolute hilarity in the fact that Pompeo clearly had an unlabeled map handy to try and prove his point.

Secretary Dunning-Kruger.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/24/79924...e-what-s-right

I...didn't believe that was legit, but holy shit. This is legit.

Mike Pompeo needs to be removed now. This is completely, absolutely, batshit insane and unhinged.
    I think there's an understanding of how these interviews will go, but often the interviewer springs stuff on them. I've seen it before all over the place. Sort of like Robert Downey Jr. here:

I think the outrage stems from a violation of the understanding. Robert Downey Jr. likely would be free to talk about his past if that were the premise of the conversation, but it was sprung on him.

Lines like this from Pompeo make me think it's much the same thing: "You know, I agreed to come on your show today to talk about Iran."

Could he have handled it better? Absolutely. But I'm not going to hold it too much against him. When an issue is being criticized or harped on by right-leaning organizations, NPR is famous for reporting on those same things positively, leading to it's reputation as somewhat left-leaning, so I'm surprised Pompeo even went on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I think there's an understanding of how these interviews will go, but often the interviewer springs stuff on them. I've seen it before all over the place.
    Because it's totally appropriate for the Secretary of State to behave like an irritated actor. Okay.

Please explain how this sort of temperament is appropriate for someone that could potentially be dealing with very delicate or sensitive diplomatic matters.

I think the outrage stems from a violation of the understanding. Robert Downey Jr. likely would be free to talk about his past if that were the premise of the conversation, but it was sprung on him.

Lines like this from Pompeo make me think it's much the same thing: "You know, I agreed to come on your show today to talk about Iran."

Could he have handled it better? Absolutely. But I'm not going to hold it too much against him. When an issue is being criticized or harped on by right-leaning organizations, NPR is famous for reporting on those same things positively, leading to it's reputation as somewhat left-leaning, so I'm surprised Pompeo even went on.
    You're not going to hold the Secretary of State verbally accosting an interviewer and then making himself and by extension the administration look like an idiot --

Ah, why are we even bothering. Y'all don't give nearly as much of a shit about American prestige or tradition as you like to claim, as long as you get your wall and your tax cut.

- - - Updated - - -

I really think we should be taking aforementioned 'explanation' with skepticism since Dacien also seems to believe that Devin Nunes is on Adam Schiff's level.

Devin Nunes. I.e. Mister implicated in the Ukraine scandal and notorious for repeated lawsuits against a fictitious cow.

Take that as you will.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think there's an understanding of how these interviews will go, but often the interviewer springs stuff on them. I've seen it before all over the place. Sort of like Robert Downey Jr. here:

/snip irrelevant youtube video

Are you seriously trying to argue that the Secretary of Fucking State should have the same measurement of temperament as Robert Downey Jr.? Is that where Trumpkins are at this point?
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-01-25 at 05:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the fuck? Are you for real?
    /s