Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Is that good news?

I mean, dow still fell 350 points but that swing at the last 10 minutes gives me hope.
    On the other hand i'm a bit miffed, as i want the market to tank further to make Dotard tang unelectable
    Not sure how that hope will hold up, from what I read, their vaccine didn't pan out, so unless that changes, I don't expect Monday to be that great when it reopens.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Trump hits Democrats over coronavirus criticism: 'This is their new hoax'

----
    When people start dying, things are going to get dicey from a political perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    The flu can only live on surfaces for like 24 hours and I don't think a ship is ideal circumstances. It'd have to be something pretty insane like weeks for most of those containers unless someone's just sneezing on em nonstop.
    If i recall right COVID-19 is part of the same family of viruses that also cause the common cold(No I'm not saying it is the common cold). From a quick google search, those viruses can potentially live up to 7 days on surfaces. Of course there are more variables than just that, since how long it survives also depends on the material its on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The Secretary of State was afraid to say the coronavirus, which has killed thousands, was not a hoax.

I want every single carbon-based life form on these forums to ask themselves: why didn't Pompeo answer?
    UPDATE:

We have our answer. Trump says it is a hoax.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Trump hits Democrats over coronavirus criticism: 'This is their new hoax'

----
    When people start dying, things are going to get dicey from a political perspective.
    Yeah, I'm sure he's going to start claiming the virus was developed by democrats to scare people into voting for them.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the case in which the House was trying to force "Executive Privilege" McGahn to testify was resolved today: no.

This ruling means, basically, the President can just ignore any Congressional subpoenas at any time.

"Well wait, what checks and balances does that leave?"

Congress (or one of its chambers) may hold officers in contempt, withhold appropriations, refuse to confirm the President’s nominees, harness public opinion, delay or derail the President’s legislative agenda, or impeach recalcitrant officers
    "Did...the a federal judge just say 'the House should withhold funding until the President complies'?"

Yes.

"...so...the Federal judge, on the record, ruled that the House could force McGahn to testify by...just...refusing to sign anything until he does?"

Yes.

"Um...okay..."

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...cid=spartanntp

Oh shit.

California has a second case of community transmission of the coronavirus, a 65-year-old resident of Santa Clara County who has no known history of travel to countries hit hard by the outbreak, people familiar with the case said Friday.
    OF FUCKING COURSE!

At the very least, her symptoms appear to be milder than of everyone else.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    Obama had to fight tooth and nail to get the emergency response funding for the NONE panedmic ebola, because you know when a D is in charge Rs care about the deficit.
    But when trump demanded 2.5 billion for coronovirus, you know what nancy pelosis response was?
    She was going to allocate MORE than he requested.

and then don JR runs his fat ugly mouth saying were the ones playing politics? Nancys literally wanting to give him more resources than he even asked for vs when house republicans endlessly tried to stifle obama and even mcconell said his goal was to make obama a 1 term president.
    Yep, Pelosi said he certainly didn't ask for enough. Because $2.5 billion will be gone in a matter of days.

OF FUCKING COURSE!

At the very least, her symptoms appear to be milder than of everyone else.
    want to see something scary

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-daughter.html

these are the type of people we have to live with

No matter what is wrong with you, coughing and sharing water with your kid?? WTF?

There is only ONE GOOD THING ABOUT THIS...maybe you guys can read my mind....give it a try.....

Are you sure you're okay?! Man just released from coronavirus quarantine COUGHS his way through an interview and SHARES a water bottle with his three-year-old daughter
    Frank Wucinski and his three-year-old daughter Annabel were evacuated from Wuhan to San Diego on February 4
    His wife was forced to remain in China as she tended to her sick father who was hospitalized with the coronavirus
    Her father has since died and she has pneumonia that may be virus-related
    Wucinski and Annabel were separated and isolated when they landed because of their proximity to a confirmed coronavirus case
    They spent 14 days in quarantine but tested negative for the deadly virus
    Wucinski could not stop coughing during a Fox News appearance
    He was forced to grab a water bottle from his daughter and hand it back

Tho he was prob not in studio and knowing these hypocrites they ran for Zee hills..before he got there.…(a Rush Limbaugh scuttle as they call it)
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So the case in which the House was trying to force "Executive Privilege" McGahn to testify was resolved today: no.

This ruling means, basically, the President can just ignore any Congressional subpoenas at any time.

"Well wait, what checks and balances does that leave?"

"Did...the a federal judge just say 'the House should withhold funding until the President complies'?"

Yes.

"...so...the Federal judge, on the record, ruled that the House could force McGahn to testify by...just...refusing to sign anything until he does?"

Yes.

"Um...okay..."
    Well that's a fucked up Catch 22.

Dems: We want witnesses from the White House to testify before Congress.
    Trump: You can't make me!!
    Dems: No money for you then.....
    Trump: See!! The Dems are stopping the government from running!! Everything is their fault!!!!
    Dems: Republicans, are you going to do anything about this?
    Repubs: Why? This is exactly what we want.

I wonder if a global pandemic where people end up not going to the doctor because it costs too much even with insurance and sick people still go to work because they don't have enough sick days will finally get people to realize our healthcare system is a public health hazard that is a national problem and not just an individual problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    I wonder if a global pandemic where people end up not going to the doctor because it costs too much even with insurance and sick people still go to work because they don't have enough sick days will finally get people to realize our healthcare system is a public health hazard that is a national problem and not just an individual problem.
    Jokes on them, my diamond health insurance plan has me covered even against those dumb poors who can't afford to go to the doctor or miss work!

(this was a sarcastic post, in case that wasn't obvious)

10+ Year Old Account
    As I've been repeating, a global pandemic is meaningless if it doesn't hit hard here in the USA. In areas that matter, in areas that vote. A bunch of other people dying in other countries will reinforce lay-Republican attitudes that Amerikuh is the greetest. It also needs to hit where people have money, but not enough money, not to be confused with areas where people are poor. A bunch of cases in Bumfuck Missouri among auto-upholstry workers who can be easily isolated at their jobs or homes is meaningless.

It needs to affect average working types, not just your McDonalds fry cook. People who do real middle-class work. It'll advance left-wing politics too if it hits in areas of high wealth divides (read: most major cities) where the wealthy who get sick can afford protection and treatments while the disease spreads among the poor. Especially if the interactions where the wealthy do catch the disease stem from fancy places staffed by under-paid, under-cared-for workers (restaurants, hotels, golf clubs, etc...) This will be particularly effective if it hits in red states.

Hey, I'm not cheering for an outbreak here. I told you I was a political scientist. This is what I do.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    As I've been repeating, a global pandemic is meaningless if it doesn't hit hard here in the USA. In areas that matter, in areas that vote. A bunch of other people dying in other countries will reinforce lay-Republican attitudes that Amerikuh is the greetest. It also needs to hit where people have money, but not enough money, not to be confused with areas where people are poor. A bunch of cases in Bumfuck Missouri among auto-upholstry workers who can be easily isolated at their jobs or homes is meaningless.

It needs to affect average working types, not just your McDonalds fry cook. People who do real middle-class work. It'll advance left-wing politics too if it hits in areas of high wealth divides (read: most major cities) where the wealthy who get sick can afford protection and treatments while the disease spreads among the poor. Especially if the interactions where the wealthy do catch the disease stem from fancy places staffed by under-paid, under-cared-for workers (restaurants, hotels, golf clubs, etc...) This will be particularly effective if it hits in red states.

Hey, I'm not cheering for an outbreak here. I told you I was a political scientist. This is what I do.
    There will be an outbreak here. There's 2 confirmed cases in California where they are uncertain of the source. That means someone was infected and we didn't know about it and spread it. Kind of hard to put the lid back on when you don't even know where the lid is.

10+ Year Old Account
    There will be an outbreak here. There's 2 confirmed cases in California where they are uncertain of the source. That means someone was infected and we didn't know about it and spread it. Kind of hard to put the lid back on when you don't even know where the lid is.
    Well, California is the wrong place to have one. Politically speaking.

Just, be kind.

Well, California is the wrong place to have one. Politically speaking.
    There was a case in florida if i'm not mistaken

Edit: Welp, my mistake.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...a-coronavirus/
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-02-29 at 03:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a case in florida if i'm not mistaken
    Florida is a good place politically for Democrats. Omaha, Denver, Houston or Atlanta would also be acceptable choices.

West Coast and New England cities would be good for Republicans, politically. But outbreaks are less likely due to the nature of the states and the people there (ie: they're better prepared for it and are more socially inclined to care for the sick). An outbreak in a place with low (but notable) immigrant populations that are internal travel hubs but not big tourist destinations and governed by anti-poor anti-sick Republican policies would turn an outbreak into a politically advantageous cause for Democrats (assuming they have the balls to do so).

An outbreak in liberal areas with high minority and immigrant populations will be a perfect attack for Republicans (and some DINOs) against Democrats who are running on a "we can care for you, minorities aren't evil, and we will be better leaders" platform.

Just, be kind.

Florida is a good place politically for Democrats. Omaha, Denver, Houston or Atlanta would also be acceptable choices.

West Coast and New England cities would be good for Republicans, politically. But outbreaks are less likely due to the nature of the states and the people there (ie: they're better prepared for it and are more socially inclined to care for the sick). An outbreak in a place with low (but notable) immigrant populations that are internal travel hubs but not big tourist destinations and governed by anti-poor anti-sick Republican policies would turn an outbreak into a politically advantageous cause for Democrats (assuming they have the balls to do so).

An outbreak in liberal areas with high minority and immigrant populations will be a perfect attack for Republicans (and some DINOs) against Democrats who are running on a "we can care for you, minorities aren't evil, and we will be better leaders" platform.
    As a pure probabilistic exercise, the chance of the virus hitting high populated areas first is way higher than slipping to the countryside. And i will not enact any judgement atm on how the virus will spread in the US, as we need more confirmed cases to see any pattern. Maybe it will go West-East?

10+ Year Old Account
    As a pure probabilistic exercise, the chance of the virus hitting high populated areas first is way higher than slipping to the countryside. And i will not enact any judgement atm on how the virus will spread in the US, as we need more confirmed cases to see any pattern. Maybe it will go West-East?
    Yes I know, that's why those areas are also more prepared to deal with them, which reduces outbreak probabilities. But places like Omaha, Denver, Houston or Atlanta aren't exactly "the countryside" either but they are certainly less direct travel points for people coming from Asia. Not to say plenty don't, just that they're less likely. Which is the point. If one of those areas "gets hits" it's harder to make the "it's all those damn foreigners!" argument. Which we are all well aware will be levied against anywhere on the West Coast if an outbreak happens.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Honestly what is the proper response? What could be done better? To me not saying much and trying to calm people down is a much better strategy than causing mass hysteria telling everyone to hide from it.
    How about not telling people that the virus will go away when it gets warm, perhaps we can start there.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866