10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Miss koba-something was called, as far as i can remember
    Miss Kobayashi -- someone caught her by repeating verbatim what the main account said after being banned.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I'm sure we can all bust out the essential oils to cure everyone or something!
    #Thots&payers for everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Doubt it, his base will continue to vote and those that are somehow on the fence will probably go over to Trump as well for no real reason. It's rather likely he'll be elected and in fact I'll pretty much bet money on that. Stupid usually wins the day.
    Considering that a non-insignificant number of his base is dying at this very moment, or is being left to die, i dont see how he could muster the votes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Miss Kobayashi -- someone caught her by repeating verbatim what the main account said after being banned.
    Yeah, that. @Machismo, there u have it
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Considering that a non-insignificant number of his base is dying at this very moment, or is being left to die, i dont see how he could muster the votes.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that. @Machismo, there u have it
    Thanks, I went back and looked at some of the person's posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rus-update-us/

Did Trump just have his lord Farquad moment?
    He was touring a mask making plant with the song live and let die blaring in the back ground. 2020 is on point with its theme song at least.

A day after the president and vice president confirmed the NYT story that the task force would likely be done by the end of this month, the president says it will continue indefinitely
    https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status...550409218?s=19

Well task force is back on. A good thing likely in totality. Yet again this idiot stated something before thinking and has changed his mind again.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2020-05-06 at 02:59 PM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    He just can't help himself when it comes to the number of tests, can he?
    Because he failed so hard early on. He "inherited" broken tests from Obama himself and testing was nowhere near where it needed to be for weeks. He refuses to admit fault but will take credit for success, so, now that testing is closer to what's needed, he wants to brag about it.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Simple reason; he needs the win.
    Or, alternate version, he needs to be seen as not having lost.

In any event, you're basically right: testing numbers mean nothing if the disease keeps spreading, because it probably means people who aren't tested are spreading the disease. Probably in thick crowds, wearing ill-fitting "tactical" gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    He was touring a mask making plant with the song live and let die blaring in the back ground. 2020 is on point with its theme song at least.
    The guy he was with was showing him, up close, how the masks look and most likely explaining it so he could understand it. "Stop bad from leaving."
    The person then put the mask back into the bin. After being handled AND letting someone without a mask breathe all over the mask.
    That bin of masks is fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Well task force back on. A good thing likely in totality. Yet again this idiot stated something before thinking and has changed his mind again.
    You don't disband a task force to address a crisis while the crisis is ongoing. As @Benggaul has been pointing out, the death count isn't dropping. At least, not much. And the WH just adjusted its death toll prediction by literally one hundred percent. Plus we're seeing reports the daily death count could rise to 3,000 or so.

Yes, this is "Mission Accomplished" again.

- - - Updated - - -

So we've discussed the whole hypocrisy of Republicans suddenly forgetting they run "recipient states" and calling Democratic ones "fiscally reckless" and not wanting to bail them out. yadda yadda, old news. For example, here's Ted Cruz.

I don’t see any reason why the people of Texas should have to pay higher taxes to bail out states that have been irresponsible. If we’re focused on dealing with the coronavirus crisis that’s fine, but it shouldn’t be an excuse to bail out states for fiscal irresponsibility and fiscally reckless policies.
    Again, we've seen that hypocrisy before.

But besides the usual level of hypocrisy, I want to add this:

Saying "we shouldn't have to bail out other states" is a very risky move. I want to call extra attention to Michigan, which seems to be growing about the fastest, and that was before heavily-armed terrorists very fine people carrying wartime weapons and shouting to change political opinion started meeting in packed crowds.

Texas is not the state in the most debt, but they're not the best either. And they take more than they give, as we're all fully familiar.

This statement could very easily turn around and bite Cruz -- and if it does, it means Texas is pretty badly fucked.

The good news, is that Pelosi and the Democrats will now allow state governments to be funded disproportionately red. Anything that comes to Trump's desk, in addition to having what McConnell wants (it's bipartisan or it's toast), will have specific allocations by population or demand, not by "we hope Team Trump will give the money fairly".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    You don't disband a task force to address a crisis while the crisis is ongoing. As @Benggaul has been pointing out, the death count isn't dropping. At least, not much. And the WH just adjusted its death toll prediction by literally one hundred percent. Plus we're seeing reports the daily death count could rise to 3,000 or so.

Yes, this is "Mission Accomplished" again.

- - - Updated - - -

So we've discussed the whole hypocrisy of Republicans suddenly forgetting they run "recipient states" and calling Democratic ones "fiscally reckless" and not wanting to bail them out. yadda yadda, old news. For example, here's Ted Cruz.

Saying "we shouldn't have to bail out other states" is a very risky move. I want to call extra attention to Michigan, which seems to be growing about the fastest, and that was before heavily-armed terrorists very fine people carrying wartime weapons and shouting to change political opinion started meeting in packed crowds.

Texas is not the state in the most debt, but they're not the best either. And they take more than they give, as we're all fully familiar.

This statement could very easily turn around and bite Cruz -- and if it does, it means Texas is pretty badly fucked.

The good news, is that Pelosi and the Democrats will now allow state governments to be funded disproportionately red. Anything that comes to Trump's desk, in addition to having what McConnell wants (it's bipartisan or it's toast), will have specific allocations by population or demand, not by "we hope Team Trump will give the money fairly".
    To go with the Texas theme, out esteemed Governor was just caught on video admitting opening up the state will increase the spread of the virus here. It's clear Republicans don't care about people's lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Holy crap, I remember that account. Was that actually her?
    I don’t think so... that one behaved similar, but it’s what you get when you follow a script. That one pretty much fell on her own knife, after going batshit, when someone used her saying she wants to watch Trump molest kids on television, as their signature.

There are hundreds of alt right youtube channels that say the same exact thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    To go with the Texas theme, out esteemed Governor was just caught on video admitting opening up the state will increase the spread of the virus here. It's clear Republicans don't care about people's lives.
    They have been shiting in costal states for the last 3 years. Doing this to your own constituents is simply showing they hate all Americans.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    It was pretty obvious. The newer sock puppets are slightly less obvious. But name-checking the same obscure reactionary political blogs was a give away.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status...550409218?s=19

Well task force is back on. A good thing likely in totality. Yet again this idiot stated something before thinking and has changed his mind again.
    Well this is really just standard Trump policy vetting. He has even admitted he does this. He says the first thing that comes to his head, then he watches TV all afternoon and sees if the people on TV like it. If they do, he does it. If they don't he changes it. He bragged about how he uses the media to vet policy like it was some sort of good thing.

https://trumpdeathclock.com/

We not have a death counter, with estimates for how many of the deaths can be traced back to Trumps inaction on the virus. This is based off reporting of lots of early pushback from team Trump on taking action, and more recent reporting on epidemiologists estimating that around 60% of deaths could have been avoided if action was taken early.

It's currently at 43,861

Want a great read, I know you do!!!
    NY does a wonderful job every year with a detailed report on 'balance of payments' to each state.
    More better-er and more updated-er

https://rockinst.org/issue-area/bala...payments-2020/

+ Over four years, New York taxpayers have given $116.2 billion more to the federal government than they received back in federal spending.

+ Preliminary analysis of 2018 data indicates that at -$22.0 billion, New York maintains its 2017 rank as having the least favorable balance of payments of any state in the nation.

+ New York’s shortfall in 2018 is larger than that of second-ranked New Jersey (-$11.5 billion) and third-ranked Massachusetts (-$9.1 billion) combined. Connecticut and Colorado round out the list of the states with the least favorable balances.

+In 2018, New York taxpayers contributed approximately $22.0 billion more in revenue to the Federal government than the state received back in Federal spending

+ Federal spending received per dollar of taxes paid 0.91 average for all 50 states 1.22

https://rockinst.org/issue-areas/fis...yments-portal/

Texas you say? They get back $1.05 for every dollar paid in taxes vs NY .91. So who is supporting whom?
    Kentucky huh? $2.41

That's +13.5 billion for Texas and -22 billion for NY. Imagine NY had an extra 35.5 billion dollars a year for their budget "problems" where they would be financially?

Gee I wonder why these lubrual states have to have such high taxes, I mean it couldn't have anything to do with a lack of federal funding....naaaaaaaaaahhhh.

P.S. It does not even stop here just look at the largest federal program Medicaid.

Kentucky get Medicaid paid at 72.05% this year. Texas 61.81%.
    NY/CT/CA/MA/NJ (see a trend yet?) 50%. That's another 5-10-20 billion dollars in missing funding that has to be made up with state taxes.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    DOW is eerily flat today. Like minus nine whole points -- a hair's bredth.

Dow erases gains after loss of 20 million private sector jobs underlines economic pain

U.S. stocks lost some altitude on Wednesday as investors pored over data showing a collapse in private-sector employment in April, putting a damper on enthusiasm sparked by an easing of lockdowns imposed by the coronavirus pandemic.

The U.S. stock market came under pressure Wednesday, even as investors looked ahead to the easing of lockdown measures, with states like California allowing some businesses to open their doors again on Friday.

A key drag was labor-market data from payment processor Automatic Data Processing Inc. ADP, which showed private-sector employers shed 20.2 million jobs in April, closely matching the consensus estimate from economists polled by Econoday. Last month, ADP’s data didn’t reflect the full scale of the employment picture that has left more than 30 million Americans without jobs in less than two months.
    I'm starting to think that, after only so much battering, the stock market is truly fried, and not too much is going to phase it anymore.

We are in Nov 2017 territory. Thread title remains accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    DOW is eerily flat today. Like minus nine whole points -- a hair's bredth.

Dow erases gains after loss of 20 million private sector jobs underlines economic pain

I'm starting to think that, after only so much battering, the stock market is truly fried, and not too much is going to phase it anymore.

We are in Nov 2017 territory. Thread title remains accurate.
    I'm still super pessimistic about shocks to food supply.
    Also, that the GOP still has 6 months of guaranteed power left to fuck things up. Like denying unemployment and food benefits. I'd never underestimate the levels at which McConnell will go to spite the public.

During the World Wars, Americans were asked to ration and eat less meat, wheat, sugar, and butter in order to ensure supplies for the soldiers. A decent administration would do the same right now -- but we don't have a decent administration.
    Imagine an American president with the moral authority to say, "Right now, COVID-19 is running rampant through our meatpacking plants. To protect those workers, let us eat less meat, allowing them to feed us safely."
    Trump is more likely to praise some neo Nazis than appeal to the greater good.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Also, that the GOP still has 6 months of guaranteed power left to fuck things up. Like denying unemployment and food benefits. I'd never underestimate the levels at which McConnell will go to spite the public.
    6? Closer to 8. Even if every Republican gets their asses tossed out in November, they still have until January 3rd to issue and implement their Nero decree.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    6? Closer to 8. Even if every Republican gets their asses tossed out in November, they still have until January 3rd to issue and implement their Nero decree.
    The political cynic in me is entirely expecting them to emulate their state-side efforts and just shit the bed on their way out to either make sure that they still retain power or to begin dismantling Executive powers well beyond what they should.

But even then I don't see that as likely, if only because they don't have the majorities in the House needed to pass such laws and they probably want those abusible powers intact in case they win the following election in 2024.