10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    As I wrote in the other thread, several were banned already from the typical offenses. Expect it to get stupid again in here once those expire.

I have to imagine at least one or two of Trump's supporters are just yelling "For fuck's sake stop TWEETING!" at their monitors/phones bu now, though.
    You mean, Ken Starr like saying, “The president was not advised by counsel in deciding to do this tweet. Extraordinarily poor judgment… Obviously this was quite injurious," on Faux News? (I do love a well-curated twitter feed.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    House Ethics Committee refers Florida Man Rep. Spano to the DoJ on charges of campaign finance violations.

Specifically, since Spano's friends could only donate $2,700 each, they instead loaned him $180,000 and Spano paid his own campaign $180,000.

- - - Updated - - -

So, let's talk about American farmers.

Dean Foods, the largest dairy company in the U.S., filed for bankruptcy this week.

"Huh. That name sounds familiar."

They were fined millions years ago for stealing workers' wages.

"No, that's not it."

Um...they told a bunch of farmers in PA in March 2018 that because of Trump's tariffs, they were buying less milk, and gave them all 90 day's notice?

"No, that's not it either."

Two months later, they also fired 100 people in Indiana?

"Still not it."

And six other states?

"It wasn't about firing people. It was something about money."

Um...they spent millions on lobbying to get full-fat sweetened milk back in school lunches?

"No..."

The insider trading case from 2017?

"No..."

Um...they have a long history of lying, cheating, and stealing, and now they're cheating their shareholders and fleeing with what's left of their money?

"Yes, that's it, that's it exactly."

The damage or possible loss of Dean Foods will hurt a lot of American dairy farmers. Apparently, smaller farms basically make exclusive contracts with who gets their stuff, and Dean Foods was huge and had a lot of it. This will leave the farmers whose contracts suddenly expire with an even harder time getting their product to market, in a situation where (again) Trump's tariffs have made it harder to sell. You'd think selling high-fat milk in schools would help, but, with Trump directly cutting school lunch programs and also SNAP benefits the effect is probably minimal or lost.

I mentioned PA milk farmers above. Trump won Erie County, PA by fewer voters than I have students. His tariffs cost a lot of them. I wonder if they're tired of winning yet?
    Personally I hope all dairy farms go out of business. It is a terribly heinous and awful industry.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    So, Trump is desperate for some sort of distraction to get his bases attention again, so what did he find?

Trump grants clemency to 2 Army officers accused of war crimes, restores rank to Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher

Oh. This again. The amount of damage this amoral national disgrace of a President is doing to the Military cannot be over exaggerated. Trump is making it very clear that killing brown people is ok, no matter what the military justice system says about it. This sort of crap endangers every one of our Soldiers overseas, by making it clear to the people of those countries that our Soldiers are bound by absolutely no rules or laws under this President.

This outrages me in an incredibly deeply personal way. I spent a significant part of my life keeping a bunch of angry and confused young men from devolving into murderous criminals in these environments, and I only succeeded because the Military does a good job of giving us a legal structure that holds us accountable for our actions during these deployments. Trump is undermining the very principles of military justice and law of war for fleeting cheers at his pep rallies.

This right here is why we need President Pence right now. He is still a horrible person, but he isn't going to be unraveling the fabric of American power and decency on a whim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Remember when Trump getting a Nobel Prize was a serious object of discussion by our local Trumphadi contingent?

Hilarious times.
    That whole thing was never about anything else but "one-upping" Obama, a president the rest of the world actually largely held respect for. Obama got one, and thus Trump should too, according to them.

It's as much of a joke now as it was back then. There's no shortage of more deserving candidates than a man at who's direction the US is separating immigrant children from their parents, and keeping them in large camps under poor conditions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenlo View Post
    Kinda off topic here but other than the guy sea lioning the other day have the typical defenders of orange shown up in the thread? Strange how absent they seem...
    It’s hard for them to be effective sea lions when great white sharks keep biting them in half.

It’s quite pleasant around here without them, I must say. I’d like to think they’re watching this thread closely, seething at their own inability to come up with a proper response... though I’m sure in reality they more or less just dip in with a hit-and-run shitpost before slinking away back into the dark, content that they’ve proved their loyalty to trump for the week.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2019-11-16 at 11:24 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Found this joke on r/jokes on Reddit.

If Trump really wanted Hillary locked up he should have hired her.

Why the fuck is roger stone not in prison right now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It seems that, sometimes, there's a break between being found guilty and being sentenced. Also, appeals.

I would assume he is on bail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Remember when Trump getting a Nobel Prize was a serious object of discussion by our local Trumphadi contingent?

Hilarious times.
    sucks that both Abe and Moon were strong armed into nominateing him for the prize seeing his current actions will screw over their nations the most

It seems that, sometimes, there's a break between being found guilty and being sentenced. Also, appeals.
    Often yes but not usually for crimes that can carry 50 years and multiple felonies

10+ Year Old Account
    Often yes but not usually for crimes that can carry 50 years and multiple felonies
    remember, hes rich

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he's only facing 20.

Stone's out on bail. Bail typically continues until sentencing, I think. Plus I don't think you get taken to jail if your appeal is heard.

Also, Monkey D Luniz is also right: Stone is rich. The system isn't even close to fair. Stone probably had steak that night while children taken from their families die in dog cages.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think he's only facing 20.

Stone's out on bail. Bail typically continues until sentencing, I think. Plus I don't think you get taken to jail if your appeal is heard.

Also, Monkey D Luniz is also right: Stone is rich. The system isn't even close to fair. Stone probably had steak that night while children taken from their families die in dog cages.
    Bail continues until sentencing but not during appeals (Cosby was a perfect example of that). Stone has much better political connections, and there are [always] some exceptions to rules, so he might avoid jail altogether.

Plus, Trump is going to pardon him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Bail continues until sentencing but not during appeals (Cosby was a perfect example of that). Stone has much better political connections, and there are [always] some exceptions to rules, so he might avoid jail altogether.

Plus, Trump is going to pardon him.
    Im not as certain on the pardon since Trump cares more about what he gets, and after his pardon for Joe Arpaio got him a "meh" from the GOP outside of Arizona, and then the warning that pardons mean you admit guilt, and it might well remove 5th amendment protections on the subject. He stopped giving them out to friends, and has stuck to the "this will make you like me now right?" pardons of random people that celebrities and Fox toss infront of him

for his loyal criminal allies that carried him to office, he'll just dangle the pardon in front of them like that geiko commercial

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/3143

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, he’s facing 50.
    Huh. Every other site I found says 20. Regardless, he'll likely plead for leniency on the ground that witch hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Because he’s a very fine person?
    Is it bad that both sides and fine person written or uttered anywhere instantly makes me livid?

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Is it bad that both sides and fine person written or uttered anywhere instantly makes me livid?
    Seems normal