10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    DHS says the move will speed up the contracting process in part by preventing protest litigation -- the way companies can fight to win a federal contract.
    Days later:

Labor union unveils $150M campaign to help defeat Trump

One of the nation’s largest labor unions is unveiling plans to invest $150 million in a nationwide campaign to help defeat President Donald Trump, a sweeping effort focused on eight battleground states and voters of color who typically don’t vote.

The investment marks the largest voter engagement and turnout operation in the history of the Service Employees International Union, which claims nearly 2 million members. The scope of the campaign, which quietly launched last month and will run through November’s general election, reflects the urgency of what union president Mary Kay Henry calls “a make-or-break” moment for working people in America under Trump’s leadership.

“He’s systematically unwinding and attacking unions. Federal workers rights have been totally eviscerated under his watch,” Henry said in an interview. “We are on fire about the rules being rigged against us and needing to elect people that are going to stand with workers.”

The union’s campaign will span 40 states and target 6 million voters focused largely in Colorado, Florida, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin, according to details of the plan shared with The Associated Press. The union and its local members will pay particular attention to two key urban battlegrounds they believe will play a defining role in the 2020 general election: Detroit and Milwaukee. There may be some television advertising, but the investment will focus primarily on direct contact and online advertising targeting minority men and women who typically don’t vote.

Few groups of voters will be more important in the 2020 general election. Trump won the presidency four years ago largely because of his popularity with working-class whites and a drop-off in turnout from minority voters.
    I think we all know how PA worked last time. Trump won the state by less than the attendance of an Eagles game. No literally, he won by under 45,000 and Lincoln holds nearly 70,000. Plus vendors. Who might be union. Ironically, Trump did win by more than attendance of a Philadelphia Union game. And it's not like Trump has been good to PA's industries, including health care, non-gas/oil mining (not a lot of crude in PA), manufacturing, construction on the PA turnpike which never f#$*(ng ends, and telecommunications. Actually that last one might be okay, but the rest sure aren't.

Hey @Breccia, the dow jones has already opened!
    And it opened below your threshold.
    It's 400 points below the closing of yesterday (at about 10 mins of It opening).
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-02-27 at 02:52 PM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    It's 400 points below the closing of yesterday (at about 10 minst of It opening).
    And dropping like a rock already. Down to -600 and 26,350 after the first 20 minutes.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

It's 400 points below the closing of yesterday (at about 10 mins of It opening).
    Doing some light reading this morning there seems to be as mich fear from investors coming out now that it may also be that Bernie may be getting the nomination and fears are also coming from that. Healthcare is trending badly right now and that would not correspond with a sickness being the reason its dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Doing some light reading this morning there seems to be as mich fear from investors coming out now that it may also be that Bernie may be getting the nomination and fears are also coming from that. Healthcare is trending badly right now and that would not correspond with a sickness being the reason its dropping.
    Nope. You have to be reading like Fox News, or the Washington Examiner or some other bullshit source for this kind of crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Shocker, he is a complete idiot basically speaking on nothing. Not knowing the situation.
    That response is worse than the response of our health deputy. And said response was horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I'm sure you guys have probably already seen his mess of a speech
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    his "speech" yesterday
    Pfft. Y'all sound just like Ezekiel Emanuel, who officially...I'm sorry, I read that wrong. Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, WHO official.

I found most of what he said incoherent.

You know, he's a guy that admitted that he’s surprised that 25,000 to 69,000 people each year die of the flu. That just tells you how little he actually knows about public health and about the health of the American public. He just revealed how ignorant he is about the situation. We don’t know how similar or dissimilar this is to the flu.

We know one thing. It is actually more communicable than the flu. It passes between people very, very easily.
    Incidentally, Trump's medical knowledge seems to have taken a sharp turn since the Ebola issue in 2014. Oddly enough, right now, the two are pretty similar. One American died of COVID19, and two of Ebola, and none of them caught it in the US. Yet in 2014, Trump was tweeting with all his might that the govt was lying about how spreadable and lethal Ebola is, and literally yesterday he handwaved the flu -- which since apparently not everyone knows this (rolls eyes) the CDC tracks and is over 16,000 deaths this season. In fact, the CDC tracks all sorts of lethal shit and flu + pneumonia share a category as the #8 killer of Americans, jointly killing over 55 thousand Americans in 2017. I found it in under 60 seconds and I don't even run the goddam country.

We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.
    -- Trump, Jan 22

It's okay. Mike Pence is in charge.
    -- Trump, yesterday

Oh, and before I forget: wanna see the video?

- - - Updated - - -

You mean this one?

We have lost two years and change.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Nope. You have to be reading like Fox News, or the Washington Examiner or some other bullshit source for this kind of crap.
    No no, it's okay. I actually posted the same thing myself. Fact is, it's dropping for multiple reasons, but the coronavirus is one. Sanders could be another. So is a recession. So is people buying bonds because the future is so uncertain that they'll take 1.5% over the DOW Jones.

But again, none of it is good news for Trump's rabid fanbase or Trump himself. The stock market falling shows people are literally not investing in America's future. This was one of the big things Trump said he's create. He's failing. Even if it was "lol Bernie" that means the stock market is predicting Sanders could win. How terrifying is that to a member of the rabid fanbase?

Look, if I was President, the stock market would hit, I dunno, 8,800 within seconds because I'm a math teacher wholely unqualified to run the country. It would totally make sense when Pres. Breccia and First Lady Graham's Wife take the podium and declare martial law on white chocolate. It would be the market correctly reacting to an upcoming catastrophe. What we're seeing is the less hyperbolic but no less accurate version.

Trump's words mean nothing. Trump's promises mean nothing. Trump's leadership means nothing. And even the rabid fanbase is looking for excuses that make it look less bad for Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Doing some light reading
    Having Fox News spoonfeed you lies isn't reading, don't even pretend.

10+ Year Old Account
    26,068.97 at time of copy/pasting.
    I mean...600 then 800 and heading towards 1,000 DOWn like it wants to grab the 25,000's by the pussy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder where it'll stop....

26,068.97 at time of copy/pasting.
    The market has been due for a major correction for quite some time now, the Coloradovirus just finally pushed it over the edge.

As far as how low, I'm assuming it'll be the floor of correction + (total global market and supply chain disruption * how long they remain disrupted).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I mean...600 then 800 and heading towards 1,000 DOWn like it wants to grab the 25,000's by the pussy.
    hit 25,997.05 for a few mins before recovering back to the 26k range

It seems it's bouncing back
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Bloody lost half of my return in a week, between trump fucking things up with trade wars and this virus I kind of think that my return would have been at least double of what it is now.

People like Trump don't understand that the world is connected even more now then 10 years ago.
    If you're investing for the long term, this is nothing.

Perhaps invest in airlines they should be quite cheap now.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...pathy-n1144191

Trump isn't fully backing all the conservative conspiracy theories about the corona virus being "weaponized" and won't attack the CDC...yet. BUT, he did seem pretty supportive of Rush Limbaugh's dangerous conspiracy theory that this is no thing but the "common cold".

No, it's not wildly deadly, especially if you're in good shape, but the common cold this ain't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ignoring a world health crisis in an election year is a bold move.
    /s

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...0-2-1028946602

BONUS ROUND: Trump is defending gutting a lot of the positions and programs at the CDC that were specifically put in place to handle situations like this.

Why? Because we didn't need them.
    But if we do, we can hire them quickly.

This is the extent of his thinking, the man is incapable of a horizon further than a few days. These programs and positions existed to make sure that health care workers and organizations were trained and prepared to handle these kinds of situations as soon as they start. They're preventative and designed to spring into action immediately.

10+ Year Old Account
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Warren introduces bill to redirect wall money to coronavirus

Namely, ten billion.

"Wait, didn't the WH ask for $2.5 billion?"

Yes, a figure so low even Mitch McConnell is calling it and “initial request" that was too low.

It’s our job to ensure that funding is not a limiting factor as public health leaders and front-line medical professionals continue getting ready,
    "Isn't the obvious response to just say that the Wall is still important to long-term security?"

Yes, but it's also hypocrisy. Trump cut the CDC staff and budget, specifically with regard to the responses to disease outbreaks from Asia in 2018. So, claiming "long-term security" without also condemning Trump for this action would just be admitting you're a hypocrite. I hope nobody here does that.

"Okay, but surely they'll just say first 'that was a bad idea' before --"

Nope. You don't get to say "in hindsight, it was a bad idea". If you don't pay for car insurance for 2 years, then skid of the road on ice, crawling back to Gecko Inc. and saying "I admit I should have paid you" will not get your car fixed. Granted, it's admitting you were wrong, but now you get a pound of cure when we could have used an ounce of prevention. So unless you called it out at the time, you don't get to defend the Wall that way. You get to say "I was wrong" and eat the consequences.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...s-conspiracies

Still on the corona virus, there's a wild new conspiracy theory.

This ties back to Rosenstein and the Russia investigation. Yes, I'm serious.

Rosenstein's sister is apparently handling public communications for the CDC, and that's enough of a connection for these nutters, who include recent Medal of Freedom recipient Rush Limbaugh, to allege that the CDC's warnings about the severity of the outbreak are an extension of Rosenstein's anti Trump mentality projected through his sister.

If it's not too early for you and you're not driving, take a drink.

A BREAK FROM THE CORONA VIRUS NEWS!

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4...ll-not-helpful

“To be frank, it’s not helpful because it takes a ship out of a plan we’re driving toward,” acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly told the House Armed Services Committee on Thursday.

“It particularly is harmful in the sense that it takes a ship out of a category of ship for which we’re going to have a hard time getting to anyway,” Modly added in an apparent reference to the Virginia-class submarine.
    These are comments from Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly to Congress. He's talking about the money Trump is taking from the Pentagon and putting towards his "THE WALL".

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...s-conspiracies

Still on the corona virus, there's a wild new conspiracy theory.

This ties back to Rosenstein and the Russia investigation. Yes, I'm serious.

Rosenstein's sister is apparently handling public communications for the CDC, and that's enough of a connection for these nutters, who include recent Medal of Freedom recipient Rush Limbaugh, to allege that the CDC's warnings about the severity of the outbreak are an extension of Rosenstein's anti Trump mentality projected through his sister.

If it's not too early for you and you're not driving, take a drink.
    Not even the best one I've heard today.

The coronavirus disproportionately kills old people, with a very low mortality rate in younger people. The EU designed the coronavirus to kill of all of the older Brexit Leave voters so the UK can run another referendum in 2021 and rejoin the EU.

A real doozy!

Herald of the Titans DocSavageFan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Ignoring a world health crisis in an election year is a bold move.
    Nobody's ignoring a world health crisis. How could one possibly arrive to such a ridiculous conclusion?
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)