A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Canceling an election doesn't matter, constitutionally. His term expires in the 3rd week of January, 2021. If there has been no elected President in that time, it triggers a real, actual, honest to goodness Constitutional crisis. And there are two possibilities to come out from that: the next person in the line of succession becomes President, which would be Nancy Pelosi. Or, the House elects a President. It's been awhile since I took Con Law, but I think the latter applies. And the Democratic-Controlled House could literally elect anyone to the Presidency. Neither of these results are anything Trump wants.

He can't cancel House elections, the states are too organized with their mail-in, absentee vote procedures (well, at least Blue states are). So there will be a House sitting in January 2021.

And if he tries to cancel all elections, and hold on to power.........well then, time to depose the tyrant.
    The house really can't, because if federal elections aren't held, all their members leave office at the same time as the President. 2/3s of the Senate would still be in their term off office, and I am not sure who the majority party would be if all Senators who were up for reelection in 2020 left office without a replacement. So whoever those remaining 65 or so senators are, those would be the ones that would have to figure out what happens next.

It would be a very messy situation.
    "We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine." DJT- Jan 22, 2020
    "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." DJT- Feb 26, 2020
    “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” DJT- Feb 27, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    Yup. And I'm not necessarily saying we need to restart in 15 days, or 30, or whatever. But eventually we DO. A lockdown plan is no plan at all.
    Yeah.....eventually we do, and it's called when the virus is more or less under control. See, if we restart too soon there's a chance it kicks back in and even mutates, but you don't seem to understand that. No one is saying we stop for 10 years, just long enough so less people die. Crazy, I know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Oh come on, both sides are. Most democrats want a full lockdown. Martial law so no one dies and the government will take care of you. That wont work either. Both sides are so extreme and the democrats cant take the blame for the way they acted causing Trumps supporters to elect him. They have as much blame for this as republicans.
    And if that is needed, if only for a little while, then yeah it's probably a good thing. Better than Republicans willing to sacrifice people to the great market, but looks like you have no problem with people dying if you're willing to shoot a banker.

I do love your "both sides are bad, but let me pinpoint one specific party" it really shows how disingenuous you are.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Most democrats want a full lockdown. Martial law so no one dies and the government will take care of you.
    Um...who, exactly, has asked for martial law? I could use a citation. I must have missed that.

No-one is above the law.

It's not up to the federal government to hold the election, it's the secretary of state of each state that's responsible for each election, Trump couldn't postpone or whatever even if he wanted to. The secretary of state at that point has even more power in that regard then even the Governors do. I mean if Trump loving secretary of states want to postpone the elections well go ahead, because blue state secretary of states will hold theirs, and Republicans will have no power then. It's not gonna happen. There is gonna be an election regardless of whatever Republicans may want.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Um...who, exactly, has asked for martial law? I could use a citation. I must have missed that.
    That is the thing though, he probably can't cite anyone saying that, except some right wing fucktard on AM radio.

Honestly no my grandparents have said this to me. They have DNRs as it is and they know they are in their 80s and they don't have much time left but I do. They are very blunt people. They have already said if they get this they are refusing care because it will be better used on someone with more life to live.
    Then they should say the same thing about cancer or any number of issues. Also, I'm calling bullshit, just like your humble brag shooting at 300 yards perfection in your 2000 acre woods where you can hunt forever and provide for your family.

A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Haven't you heard, the right gets to determine what all the lefts positions are. So first they tell you what the democrats really believe, and then they tell you why it is awful.

Like Democrats want all the old people to die so everyone else can afford to have nice things! No wait, sorry, that is a GOP position now.

Like Democrats want to spend huge amounts of money on massive corporate bailouts! Wait, sorry, they also took that one at face value now.

Apparently republicans just wind up taking the straw man positions they created to villainize the democrats. They can't even win arguments with their own strawmen.
    "We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine." DJT- Jan 22, 2020
    "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." DJT- Feb 26, 2020
    “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” DJT- Feb 27, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    This thread has taken a pretty sick turn. I mean we have people arguing about gambling with people over X age lives for a double shift at the Taco Bell.

Other nations seem to be able to do this shutdown? Why can't the richest and most prosperous one handle it for a few weeks? Why are we the ones wanting to trade a percentage of the population for this bullshit.

We are a sick sick nation.
    The same reason we are the richest nation and yet can't do nationalized medicine because............and there's never a good response to that. Really it's because those people have to repeat their lame talking points.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    The house really can't, because if federal elections aren't held, all their members leave office at the same time as the President. 2/3s of the Senate would still be in their term off office, and I am not sure who the majority party would be if all Senators who were up for reelection in 2020 left office without a replacement. So whoever those remaining 65 or so senators are, those would be the ones that would have to figure out what happens next.

It would be a very messy situation.
    While the election is for a federal office, the election is run by its corresponding state. He can't cancel it. The state would have to cancel it.

He could try something dumb even for him, and not recognize the results of the election, and let them not be seated, but holy shit if that happened what the fuck are we even talking about any more.

I see a president trying to keep some stability vs a lock down.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA "stability" Ahahahahahahahahaha

Oh wait, you're serious? Holy shit..... I guess "stability" means fucking up from the get go and having to be convinced that this wasn't a hoax.

The WHO is freaking out because this will ravage countries with little to no healthcare.
    So the U.S.?

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Yeah.....eventually we do, and it's called when the virus is more or less under control. See, if we restart too soon there's a chance it kicks back in and even mutates, but you don't seem to understand that. No one is saying we stop for 10 years, just long enough so less people die. Crazy, I know.
    A bit of hope here;

The coronavirus isn’t mutating quickly, suggesting a vaccine would offer lasting protection

The coronavirus is not mutating significantly as it circulates through the human population, according to scientists who are closely studying the novel pathogen’s genetic code. That relative stability suggests the virus is less likely to become more or less dangerous as it spreads, and represents encouraging news for researchers hoping to create a long-lasting vaccine.

All viruses evolve over time, accumulating mutations as they replicate imperfectly inside a host’s cells in tremendous numbers and then spread through a population, with some of those mutations persisting through natural selection. The new coronavirus has proofreading machinery, however, and that reduces the “error rate” and the pace of mutation. It looks pretty much the same everywhere it has appeared, the scientists say, and there is no evidence that some strains are deadlier than others.

Scientists now are studying more than 1,000 different samples of the virus, Peter Thielen, a molecular geneticist at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory who has been studying the virus, told The Washington Post.

There are only about four to 10 genetic differences between the strains that have infected people in the United States and the original virus that spread in Wuhan, he said.

“That’s a relatively small number of mutations for having passed through a large number of people,” Thielen said. “At this point, the mutation rate of the virus would suggest that the vaccine developed for SARS-CoV-2 would be a single vaccine, rather than a new vaccine every year like the flu vaccine.”

It would be more like the measles or chickenpox vaccines, he said — something that would likely confer immunity for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    I'm not eager to see anyone die, lose their job, etc.

All I'm saying is we need an exit strategy to slowly lift these restrictions while still trying to protect those most vulnerable. An indefinite lockdown and a one time government stimulus won't help.
    The exit strategy is keeping it contained until an anti-viral or vaccine pops up. Did you honestly think we'd bunker ourselves for 5 years?

The term "Wuhan virus" predates that timeline by quite a bit. Here's a Nature oped from January 21 titled "Stop the Wuhan virus". There's been a recent push to stop regionalizing disease names, but the terms "Wuhan virus" was far from unusual or new.

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    I think asking your aged 65+ plus support base too sacrifice their lives for the good of the stockmarket is going to be a tough sell, even for Trump.
    Considering how much farmers are getting ass rammed by Trump and his trade war and they are still willing to vote for him show the tenacity and sheer stupidity of a zealot.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    That is the thing though, he probably can't cite anyone saying that, except some right wing fucktard on AM radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Haven't you heard, the right gets to determine what all the lefts positions are. So first they tell you what the democrats really believe, and then they tell you why it is awful.
    Well...that sounds like trolling to me. I tell you what, let's give him 24 hours to back up his point? I mean, we wouldn't want to accuse someone of trolling if they could provide evidence of their claim, would we? Surely 24 hours is enough.

No-one is above the law.

Once again it's time for Guess the Speaker!

"That could be literally anyone."

It's Clinton, yes

—Snip—
    Side thought, when did he start squinting and being unable to read stuff, it wasn’t post solar eclipse, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Considering how much farmers are getting ass rammed by Trump and his trade war and they are still willing to vote for him show the tenacity and sheer stupidity of a zealot.
    There's also the What he really meant to say was.... crowd already excusing it as the older folks sacrifice a bit financially for their grandchildren.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    lol! Well, those 10% idiots just might be enough to get him reelected. I do not think of them as idiots however. Just voters who do not share your disapproval of Trump. He needs a large support from the independents to get reelected.
    Anyone that thinks Trump is handling this well is delusional. Maybe that can change, but I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

*LOUD ANNOYING BUZZER*

Never took their side. I even called them trolls. You saw me do it.

What you said is objectively false. You are lying.

*LOUD ANNOYING BUZZER*

Pompeo was calling it the "Wuhan virus" as early as March 7. It's hailed as new language.

The Chinese government floated the "US created it in a lab" conspiracy theory 5 days later.

What you said is objectively false. You are lying.

- - - Updated - - -

*LOUD ANNOYING BUZZER*

You said I support Iran and China. I did no such thing. What you said is objectively false. You are lying.
    OANN has also been quoted as saying that they have a "reliable source" that says the virus was started in North Carolina.
    https://www.mediamatters.org/coronav...us-was-created

Guess who was the "reporter", if you can call her that? It was the same moron that went with Rudy Guiliani to Ukraine.

The source they used, Greg Rubini, is a fucking batshit insane conspiracy theorist that as of right now, is stating on his Twitter, that Fauci is "Deep State". He said Fauci made a Corona Virus in 2015, that he funded it. https://twitter.com/GregRubini

That guy is batshit insane, and he is OANN's Source.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The term "Wuhan virus" predates that timeline by quite a bit. Here's a Nature oped from January 21 titled "Stop the Wuhan virus". There's been a recent push to stop regionalizing disease names, but the terms "Wuhan virus" was far from unusual or new.
    wuhan virus makes more sense, than chinese virus, because chinese can also be seen as a ethnicity where as wuhan is a specific location. I know it may not seem like a big deal, but to average people in the US they probably cant distinguish between chinese the continent,government,ethnicity, so if you are trying to regionalize it why not just say wuhan virus, and i understand people want to directly coorelate it with the chinese government, but calling it chinese virus really isnt a good idea IMO and can easily cause "common folk" to think chinese people carry it or some dumb shit
    Last edited by arandomuser; 2020-03-25 at 03:03 AM.