1. #39981
    Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    https://twitter.com/PoliticsReid/sta...48985828319233



    Just like Jonestown we are witnessing people drinking the Trump kool-aid in the public which means its going to be that much harder to get rid of the virus in a few months and when everyone has flatten the curve America will be the laughing stock of the world as they ignored science to appease their false idol. I find it ironic conservatives don't believe in evolution but they are gonna get a hard lesson in natural selection
    That's not even to mention that if this spreads faster and sticks around longer it could easily mutate and get worse.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  2. #39982
    Looks like Trump is only worried about the economy because his own businesses are hurting.

    Surprise: Trump Started Itching to End Social Distancing After His Six Most Profitable Clubs Closed

  3. #39983
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    wuhan virus makes more sense, than chinese virus, because chinese can also be seen as a ethnicity where as wuhan is a specific location. I know it may not seem like a big deal, but to average people in the US they probably cant distinguish between chinese the continent,government,ethnicity, so if you are trying to regionalize it why not just say wuhan virus, and i understand people want to directly coorelate it with the chinese government, but calling it chinese virus really isnt a good idea IMO and can easily cause "common folk" to think chinese people carry it or some dumb shit
    Right, I agree with that, I'm not arguing in favor of calling it "China virus". Just noting that "Wuhan virus" was pretty common parlance for a couple months, including in mainstream scientific publications. The term "Wuhan virus" is akin to the naming of Zika or Ebola. Using "China virus" is clearly about political propaganda, not just a shorthand term that's been common.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    That's not even to mention that if this spreads faster and sticks around longer it could easily mutate and get worse.
    While that's not strictly impossible, it's definitely not the most likely outcome. The majority of zoonotic pathogens become more mild over time, not worse - killing humans rapidly is evolutionarily disfavored for pathogens. The reason zoonotic infections tend to be dangerous is precisely because they're not well evolved to human hosts and are more likely to cause fast, gruesome deaths. COVID-19 is already unusually well adapted to human hosts with its latency, high transmission rate, and relatively low fatility rate (compared to horror shows like Marburg Virus).

  4. #39984
    Scientists now are studying more than 1,000 different samples of the virus, Peter Thielen, a molecular geneticist at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory who has been studying the virus, told The Washington Post.

    There are only about four to 10 genetic differences between the strains that have infected people in the United States and the original virus that spread in Wuhan, he said.

    “That’s a relatively small number of mutations for having passed through a large number of people,” Thielen said. “At this point, the mutation rate of the virus would suggest that the vaccine developed for SARS-CoV-2 would be a single vaccine, rather than a new vaccine every year like the flu vaccine.”

    It would be more like the measles or chickenpox vaccines, he said — something that would likely confer immunity for a long time.

  5. #39985
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    25,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    OANN has also been quoted as saying that they have a "reliable source" that says the virus was started in North Carolina.
    That's fucking stupid.

    No-one is above the law.

  6. #39986
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    For those interested, here is another poll showing the approval rating of Trump's handing of the Coronavirus issue in the US......https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gal...mp-coronavirus
    And those people would be wrong because they don't closely follow what Trump has been doing, a.k.a. fucking up hardcore.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    lol! Well, those 10% idiots just might be enough to get him reelected. I do not think of them as idiots however. Just voters who do not share your disapproval of Trump. He needs a large support from the independents to get reelected.
    The same people who need healthcare while Trump tears it apart.
    The same people who need the healthcare to survive this.
    The same people who will die because they don't have it.
    The same people who vote for Trump, but now can't because they're dead.

    Trump has yet to do one massively good thing for the country. Tax cuts failed, trade war fucked things up, no wall, no better healthcare, relations with allies are rocky at best, and so many more, but to top it all off WE are now one of those nations other nations say not to go to because we are that fucked.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I find it adorable you would take the sides of dictators and foreign adversaries in order to spite the president that can be voted out in November and our own country. Trump started calling it the china virus after China accused the US of creating it in a lab. If anything Trump was the one that started trolling them first like they deserve.
    What is your obsession with need it to be called the "China Virus," seriously. Trump had done much of the same bullshit China has done and not a peep from you there.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    A bit of hope here;

    The coronavirus isn’t mutating quickly, suggesting a vaccine would offer lasting protection

    The coronavirus is not mutating significantly as it circulates through the human population, according to scientists who are closely studying the novel pathogen’s genetic code. That relative stability suggests the virus is less likely to become more or less dangerous as it spreads, and represents encouraging news for researchers hoping to create a long-lasting vaccine.

    All viruses evolve over time, accumulating mutations as they replicate imperfectly inside a host’s cells in tremendous numbers and then spread through a population, with some of those mutations persisting through natural selection. The new coronavirus has proofreading machinery, however, and that reduces the “error rate” and the pace of mutation. It looks pretty much the same everywhere it has appeared, the scientists say, and there is no evidence that some strains are deadlier than others.

    Scientists now are studying more than 1,000 different samples of the virus, Peter Thielen, a molecular geneticist at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory who has been studying the virus, told The Washington Post.

    There are only about four to 10 genetic differences between the strains that have infected people in the United States and the original virus that spread in Wuhan, he said.

    “That’s a relatively small number of mutations for having passed through a large number of people,” Thielen said. “At this point, the mutation rate of the virus would suggest that the vaccine developed for SARS-CoV-2 would be a single vaccine, rather than a new vaccine every year like the flu vaccine.”

    It would be more like the measles or chickenpox vaccines, he said — something that would likely confer immunity for a long time.
    Well that's some good news, but we don't need this spreading and mutating any quicker than it does.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    There's also the What he really meant to say was.... crowd already excusing it as the older folks sacrifice a bit financially for their grandchildren.
    Oh it's not sacrificing financially, but normal sacrifice. Trump and his zealots seem to think that if we sacrifice enough seniors that the economy will magically get better.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Looks like Trump is only worried about the economy because his own businesses are hurting.

    Surprise: Trump Started Itching to End Social Distancing After His Six Most Profitable Clubs Closed
    No surprise there in a number of ways. From Trump losing money to Trump not caring about anything else except money.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  7. #39987
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That's fucking stupid.
    Tell me about it. When that reporter for OANN asked if ordering Chinese food was racist, they were trying to equate ordering Chinese food to calling this virus a "Chinese Virus". Which in turn has driven up hate crimes against Asian Americans. This Rion chick attached that little tidbit to the end of their question, on an OANN live broadcast.

  8. #39988
    The Lightbringer PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    3,510
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  9. #39989
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Reading this, it looks like Dems dropped $15 minimum wage, gained independent inspector general oversight on the $500 billion fund, extended and expanded unemployment benefits and paid sick leave, $367 (up like $17 billion from the previous version) for small business liquidity. They also let the GOP increase the farm bailout portion from $30 to $50 billion in exchange for "a dramatic increase in food stamp benefits."

    Not sure on all the other riders mentioned in previous posts. And I don't know if the $1200 payment mentioned as the direct relief is recurring or not, the article didn't seem to mention that.

    $2 trillion is a lot, a quarter of which is dedicated to the $500 billion slush fund which is supposedly for "companies, states, and cities." $50 billion specifically earmarked for passenger airlines, and $8 billion for cargo airlines. We'll see how much actually goes to city and state government, though I'm much more comfortable with the TARP-like oversight that they're putting in place. Better than Trump overseeing it. Hopefully there can be pressure on Treasury (who is running the fund) to not bail out things like cruise lines and Trump's hotels despite Trump's wishes.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2020-03-25 at 05:54 AM.

  10. #39990
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Of course it will work. Trump's bullshit always works, and it really bothers me that many people on this forum have seen it work for five years, and somehow think it won't work this time. There is nothing different about this time, it was always serious, and it never matters.

    Trump understands something that Democrats really struggle to grasp. Soundbites win elections. Stupid, simple ideas that are repeated constantly win elections. And bold faced lies told confidentially enough are indistinguishable from the truth for a solid plurality of voters.

    Big complex policies with idealistic goals do not win elections. The democrats that kept slamming Bernie Sanders plan by constantly asking how he would pay for it couldn't grasp the concept that voters did not care how he would pay for it. Bernie wisely kept details to a minimum, and kept repeating the soundbite. In any other election cycle it would probably have worked.

    Trump's bullshit works because we allow it to work. Because after 4 years (Counting the campaign here), the media still chases after the latest dumb thing he said, and still acts shocked that he said something insensitive or untrue. So the headline is always on the latest thing, and Trump is allowed to write the narrative of his last objective failure.

    That is why the Mueller Report is a total exoneration of Trump. Not because it literally is, but because Trump got to define it as so, and so that is what his supporters remember.

    That is why his impeachment ended up as a gigantic victory for Trump, that energized and empowered him. Despite people on this board claiming it would break him, it did no such thing. Because Trump wrote the narrative on that one too.

    That is why nobody talks about his negotiations with Kim (Objective failure, still no plans to denuclearize, never any productive talks), or his Middle East peace deal that was such a wet fart that everyone forgot about it in 48 hours, or his failure to constrain Iran in any way, or his abject failures in Syria or Afghanistan. Or that time he tried to install Guidado as president of Venezuela and completely failed.

    It is why he gets to talk about the wall like it is still going to happen, even though after 4 years nobody knows what the wall is supposed to look like, where it is supposed to go, or where he is going to get the money. It is why he pretends he revolutionized Trade agreements, despite not a single one of his trade proposals coming into effect yet, and the "Easy to Win" trade war being a complete disaster. It is why he gets to paint his Tax cut as a success, and not a colossal waste of cash that we now desperately need. It is why he gets to ignore the fact he was running record deficits in a boom economy, and he will be able to get away with claiming all those deficits were due to Coronavirus.

    Because nobody in the media takes the time to go back, revisit stories that aren't in the headlines, and paint him for the complete and objective failure he is. Instead they keep rushing to the latest outrage, so a bunch of pundits can act shocked that Trump said a mean thing about Congressman.
    I want people to see this again, because it is one of the truest things that has been written in a while.

  11. #39991
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I want people to see this again, because it is one of the truest things that has been written in a while.
    Thanks for reposting this. Too bad no where near enough people will act on it. But we gotta at least try

  12. #39992
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...rmation-2020-3

    holy fuck...
    That's just... holy fuck

    I couldn't be a worse president and/or human being, even if I tried my hardest.

    Is this really real?

    "We had the best economy in the history of our country, and then all of a sudden we're supposed to shut it down," Trump said, adding of the response to the pandemic: "It's been very painful for our country and very destabilizing for our country and we have to go back to work."
    ??

    "If I would have not done it, we would've been unbelievably criticized for not doing it," he said. "Somehow the word got out that this is the thing we're supposed to be doing."
    ??
    So he didn't wanna do all that stuff? He just didn't want to be criticzed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Man who looked into an eclipse
    "We have to open this country up," Trump said. "We can socially distance ourselves and go to work, and you'll have to work a little bit harder and you can clean your hands five times more than you're used to. You don't have to shake hands anymore with people."

    "He had a chance to buy in 2015 16,000 ventilators at a very low price and he turned it down," Trump said. "I'm not blaming him or anything else, but he shouldn't be talking about us. He's supposed to be buying his own ventilators."
    oh and this one, proven to be untrue, fabricated by a conspiracy theorist... The man with access to the most extensive intelligence (most likely)

  13. #39993
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    wuhan virus makes more sense, than chinese virus, because chinese can also be seen as a ethnicity where as wuhan is a specific location. I know it may not seem like a big deal, but to average people in the US they probably cant distinguish between chinese the continent,government,ethnicity, so if you are trying to regionalize it why not just say wuhan virus, and i understand people want to directly coorelate it with the chinese government, but calling it chinese virus really isnt a good idea IMO and can easily cause "common folk" to think chinese people carry it or some dumb shit
    OR one could just call it Covid-19? Its not as if noone had said it was from China anyone would have understood it as a chinese virus when they heard the "Wuhan-virus" But now eveyone knows that Wuhan is in China. And as you say "the common man" will at times assume that it is something that is inherent in the Chinese people just for being Chinese and that WILL bring with it all types of racism be it intentional and both psychological and physical.

  14. #39994
    Let's just hope it does not get worse than the Kansas Flu 100 years ago.
    (Since we now seem to call diseases by their likely region of origin instead by their names)

  15. #39995
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    The same people who need healthcare while Trump tears it apart.
    The same people who need the healthcare to survive this.
    The same people who will die because they don't have it.
    The same people who vote for Trump, but now can't because they're dead.

    Trump has yet to do one massively good thing for the country. Tax cuts failed, trade war fucked things up, no wall, no better healthcare, relations with allies are rocky at best, and so many more, but to top it all off WE are now one of those nations other nations say not to go to because we are that fucked.
    Totally showed all those SJW's though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Money laundering, especially prior to his election? I couldn't give a flying fuck.

  16. #39996
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...rmation-2020-3

    holy fuck...
    That's just... holy fuck

    I couldn't be a worse president and/or human being, even if I tried my hardest.

    Is this really real?


    ??


    ??
    So he didn't wanna do all that stuff? He just didn't want to be criticzed?





    oh and this one, proven to be untrue, fabricated by a conspiracy theorist... The man with access to the most extensive intelligence (most likely)
    I'd like to point out that with the 4th quote Trump himself said the reason folks are still shaking hands on t.v. when he is speaking is because that's how it is done. So now he's going against himself going against health officials while also trying to go against health officials. That orange idiot is fucked in the brain.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  17. #39997
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    I'd like to point out that with the 4th quote Trump himself said the reason folks are still shaking hands on t.v. when he is speaking is because that's how it is done. So now he's going against himself going against health officials while also trying to go against health officials. That orange idiot is fucked in the brain.
    With some luck he gets it himself, a life threatening disease is often a good tool for humility and chances are he probably will, because one of the steps of making people believe opening the nation is fine is showing the people it is safe to be outside among people.

  18. #39998
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    23,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Anyone that thinks Trump is handling this well is delusional. Maybe that can change, but I doubt it.
    Are you saying Trump is a mind controller?
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

  19. #39999
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Are you saying Trump is a mind controller?
    ....What....?

    Delusions have nothing to do with mind control. Like even for you that was a lame ass attempt.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  20. #40000
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    ....What....?

    Delusions have nothing to do with mind control. Like even for you that was a lame ass attempt.
    The trump cult behaviour is rather predictable, first they grow silent when a crisis hits, than they gobble up whatever is hurled up from the white house and feel more confident as in the early hours, days or weeks it isn't all that bad. When things make a turn for worse they be silent again.

    Him and that other fella posting short posts having fun with this, i mean nothing more fun than an epidemic on your own soil apparently, but i guess those people getting infected now like in NYC are not real americans as that isn't trump country, chances are they are also coloured so totally not real americans in their book.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •