1. #40001
    Remember how chloroquine was a miracle drug that was going to save everything?!

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-care-in-study

  2. #40002
    Scarab Lord Thekri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Remember how chloroquine was a miracle drug that was going to save everything?!

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-care-in-study
    Total clickbait article. It doesn't say what you think it says.

    The result of the study is statistically inconclusive, in that it proves nothing one way or the other. So yes, technically it is no better, but only because the survey produced no useful results.

    They did a test in Wuhan of 30 people without the Virus. Of the 15 with chloroquine, one got (Or already had) Covid-19. Of the 15 without, two got it (Or already had it). That is a completely meaningless survey, that tells us absolutely nothing about the effectiveness of the drug, which is what the article actually says. However they slapped a clickbait headline on it, because of course they did.

    edit: Sorry, other way around. 2 with it, 1 without it. Same result though. This has no scientific relevance, because the results were not isolated from other factors, and the sample size was too small to detect the variation that we were looking for.
    Last edited by Thekri; 2020-03-25 at 01:42 PM.
    "We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine." DJT- Jan 22, 2020
    "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." DJT- Feb 26, 2020
    “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” DJT- Feb 27, 2020

  3. #40003
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Remember how chloroquine was a miracle drug that was going to save everything?!

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-care-in-study
    This is a study of 30 people in China. With the way they did things over there I kind of don't trust much related to this virus coming from there. I wait for New York's testing of the virus. Because there seems to be optimistic reports coming out of California using it.

  4. #40004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    This is a study of 30 people in China. With the way they did things over there I kind of don't trust much related to this virus coming from there. I wait for New York's testing of the virus. Because there seems to be optimistic reports coming out of California using it.
    It honestly does not matter if some Chinese guys say it is ineffective or not. Nobody has confirmed the efficinency... so treating with it is not an option.
    Particulary selfmedication is very ill adviced.

  5. #40005
    Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    It honestly does not matter if some Chinese guys say it is ineffective or not. Nobody has confirmed the efficinency... so treating with it is not an option.
    Particulary selfmedication is very ill adviced.
    Self medication is always ill advised it doesn't matter the drug. Its like saying Bleach kills it so Im going to breath in bleach fumes to rid it from my lungs.

  6. #40006
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Self medication is always ill advised it doesn't matter the drug. Its like saying Bleach kills it so Im going to breath in bleach fumes to rid it from my lungs.
    And yet we had our president touting the usefulness of something before it's truly known. It's almost like he shouldn't have said it in the first place.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  7. #40007
    I think Trump should quit with the medical advice and go back to raking forests.

  8. #40008
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Let's just hope it does not get worse than the Kansas Flu 100 years ago.
    (Since we now seem to call diseases by their likely region of origin instead by their names)
    The Spanish Flu starting in Kansas is something of a mangled meme.

    The virus starting in Kansas was a result of historical forensic work by a historian and an author in 2003/2004. And it's accurate that the first cases reported were in a military base in Kansas in 1918.

    However more recent epidemiological data indicates that the virus likely began in China in 1915. Telling is it's modern day identification as an H1N1 virus, with an origin in birds and it being related to viruses endemic to China. It was brought to North America via Canada by Chinese laborers in 1917. Samples of the virus taken from US soldiers in early 1918 match those taken from Chinese victims in 1917. The subsequent spread to Boston and the East Coast was brought on by returning troops from Europe from World War I.

    Sources:
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/3401475?seq=1
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...cience-health/

  9. #40009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    And yet we had our president touting the usefulness of something before it's truly known. It's almost like he shouldn't have said it in the first place.
    He also said bleach and Lysol kills it but you don't see people killing themselves with that. If they overdosed on their arthritis or lupis meds I would get your point. But they took F....ING FISH antibiotics. You are literally saying that the president is responsible for every americans stupidity. People are responsible for their actions.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    The Spanish Flu starting in Kansas is something of a mangled meme.

    The virus starting in Kansas was a result of historical forensic work by a historian and an author in 2003/2004. And it's accurate that the first cases reported were in a military base in Kansas in 1918.

    However more recent epidemiological data indicates that the virus likely began in China in 1915. Telling is it's modern day identification as an H1N1 virus, with an origin in birds and it being related to viruses endemic to China. It was brought to North America via Canada by Chinese laborers in 1917. Samples of the virus taken from US soldiers in early 1918 match those taken from Chinese victims in 1917. The subsequent spread to Boston and the East Coast was brought on by returning troops from Europe from World War I.

    Sources:
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/3401475?seq=1
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...cience-health/
    Thanks for this Skroe. Was looking for a good article to link to this.

  10. #40010
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,103
    Quote Originally Posted by some guy View Post
    I think Trump should quit with the medical advice and go back to raking forests.
    Oh yes the forest raking, a book can be written with his stupid quotes. Future generations are going to look back and ask Mom and Dad or the grand parents, what the actual fuck happened in that era.

  11. #40011
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Oh yes the forest raking, a book can be written with his stupid quotes. Future generations are going to look back and ask Mom and Dad or the grand parents, what the actual fuck happened in that era.
    And with great shame Mom and Dad will tell Junior...."It's all because of Benghazi and some E-Mails."
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

  12. #40012

  13. #40013

  14. #40014
    Scarab Lord Poopymonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    4,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Oh yes the forest raking, a book can be written with his stupid quotes. Future generations are going to look back and ask Mom and Dad or the grand parents, what the actual fuck happened in that era.
    My neice when she's in her late 20s and asks Uncle Poopy why things are so full of suck?

    Well, little one, you see, it all started in 2016 with a gorilla named Harambe...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

  15. #40015
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post


    Thanks for this Skroe. Was looking for a good article to link to this.
    To offer two more bits of context from those artciles (well paper + artcile)

    - The Canadian military brought thousands of Chinese laborers (and infected Canadian troops) to Europe for the war, which is how the virus made its way to Europe, before it made its way back to the US later in 1918. Infection to US military bases in Kansas and Iowa was likely brought by visiting Canadian forces.

    - While the data on virus's evolution and type is sound, data (such as numbers of people sick and with what) from the Warring States period of China is very unreliable. Which means matching what the scientific data says with the historical data is also very unreliable according to the writers.

    - One of the telling data points in the paper is that there isn't a history of any other H1N1 virus taking on a a virulent mutation in North America (and among North American birds). If it started in Kansas, it would be a one off, which would be very peculiar. But China has a history of H1N1 viruses mutating and crossing to mammals, including with Swine Flu, which started with birds again.

    The short of it is, the data on it starting in China is compelling, but far from conclusive. But the data for it starting in Kansas isn't scientifically grounded at all.

  16. #40016
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    And with great shame Mom and Dad will tell Junior...."It's all because of Benghazi and some E-Mails."
    Or you can say it was because of this group call SJWs, Antifa and these ideas that people had that it was bad to own guns.

  17. #40017
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Or you can say it was because of this group call SJWs, Antifa and these ideas that people had that it was bad to own guns.
    Ah yes the infamous bullshit cry of the MAGAts...

    I got called a racist because I called black people the N-Word....damn those SJWs!

    People are knocking over trash cans while I support killing certain demographics....damn those Antifa!

    We should take those guns and worry about due process later....We need to ban bump stocks! Damn those Demo...oh wait that was your hero.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

  18. #40018
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Or you can say it was because of this group call SJWs, Antifa and these ideas that people had that it was bad to own guns.
    The other side with pepe the frog meme's and other crap is just as bad, actually this whole "us vs them" mentality is the root cause of this. So you are actually part of the problem.

  19. #40019
    The Insane Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    18,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Or you can say it was because of this group call SJWs, Antifa and these ideas that people had that it was bad to own guns.
    Ah yes, the Antifa/SJW strawman. Only slightly less ridiculous than the various pizza parlor pedophile conspiracies touted by the same groups.

  20. #40020
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    For those interested, here is another poll showing the approval rating of Trump's handing of the Coronavirus issue in the US......https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gal...mp-coronavirus


    President Trump's approval numbers are as high as they've ever been throughout his presidency as he deals with the coronavirus outbreak, according to the latest Gallup poll.

    The poll shows 60 percent of Americans approve of the president's handling of his actions to combat the virus. That includes 94 percent of Republicans and 60 percent of Independents, while just 27 percent of Democrats approve of the president's handling of the outbreak.

    Meanwhile, his overall job approval is at 49 percent, which is tied for the highest he has ever been when polled by Gallup. Trump jumped 5 points in the tracking poll from earlier this month.

    Gallup is the latest poll to favor the president amid the coronavirus outbreak. ABC News and CBS News had him at 53 percent job approval over his handling of the crisis, while Monmouth University had him at 50 percent.
    This is the bumb most presidents receive during a crisis, however unlike for example Bush, Trump can't go invade a random country.
    Bush managed to draw out his increase in support by the public by invading Iraq and making sure people kept ''supporting there President'' but Trump can't really invade China or draw out this crisis (which Trump himself knows)

    Partly unjustly but this virus will probably hurt Trump long term because I can not imagine that a potential recession will improve his reelection chances. Trump could have done allot of things different (read allot better) which could have mitigated some of the negative impact but not all of it.

    Honestly knowing Trump I think that this poll numbers will actually hurt him. Trump will do what Trump does as long as he thinks that it will increase his poll numbers not caring if its actually harmful or not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •