Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    So basically the US government is suppressing information about the virus that is important in how we deal with the virus, and how it is dealing with us. As it happens, this information suppression can most certainly be blamed for the success of the virus in the US.
    And we're supposed to be upset at China and W.H.O.?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    And we're supposed to be upset at China and W.H.O.?
    Well, if we wanted to deflect from our own failures, yes, we'd pretend this was their fault for lying. Somehow. We'd have to be hypocrites to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Well, if we wanted to deflect from our own failures, yes, we'd pretend this was their fault for lying. Somehow. We'd have to be hypocrites to do it.
    You mean America not only negotiated but gave the keys to the country to a domestic terrorism group who needed a haircut so badly that law enforcement and law makers at all levels have caved to their demands? That's not a failure -- that's a feature of this country in the last 4 years.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    If you guys acted like adults you'd be more accepted at the big boy table.
    Ding, ding, ding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    First, nothing on this liberal dominated board is objective. This may be American centric but it is far from conservative. If you need proof, go look at the "who you voting for" troll poll. It is clearly a liberal/democrat dominated forum. Also, it is astoundingly numerous the amount of complainers telling people to report conservative or Republican posters so they can only have to see their echo chamber posts.
    Aww, the conservative snowflakes, who constantly break forum rules, derail, and post lies, mistruths, misinformation, and conspiracy theories, don't like it when the community they are a part of, who are lied to, decieved, and attempted to be taken for idiots by said liars and dishonest actors, get reported and banned. Shocker.

There are plenty of conservatives who follow the rules, engage with honest debate, and do not get banned. You should follow their lead instead of whine like a petulant child.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    And now, in the latest gutpunch for the germaphobe-in-chief:

Ivanka Trump’s personal assistant has tested positive for coronavirus, source tells CNN
    Is Covid-19 sexually transmissible?

- - - Updated - - -

First, nothing on this liberal dominated board is objective. This may be American centric but it is far from conservative. If you need proof, go look at the "who you voting for" troll poll. It is clearly a liberal/democrat dominated forum. Also, it is astoundingly numerous the amount of complainers telling people to report conservative or Republican posters so they can only have to see their echo chamber posts.
    It's objectively a shitshow. The administration has been making constant fuckups since the inauguration. Some small and hilarious, others leaving 70k+ dead in it's wake.
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-05-09 at 04:49 AM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    If you guys acted like adults you'd be more accepted at the big boy table.
    Hah, well, actual conservatives can and do actively participate constructively in the conversations. Thekri comes to mind.
    Trump supporters aren't conservatives, however, and conspiracy theorists and trolls aren't allowed here, so...

Anyway, it's time...

78,615 dead, 1,687 on the 8th (GMT). This is a couple hundred less than it has been the past few weeks heading into the weekend, so that's a good start. It still won't prevent us from hitting 80k either Saturday or Sunday, and if this is the beginning of a downward trend it's still not likely to be enough to keep us from hitting 100k (which will still probably happen before the month is out), but I'll take ANY win I can get on this at this point. There WERE several states that didn't report anything for the day, but it looks like they're all states with very, very low totals so it's feasible they just didn't have anything significant to report. 29,162 new cases means the graph is still pretty flat over the past month and as I've mentioned before that's probably due to the limits on how many people can be tested in a day. Some states have stepped up testing, most haven't.

It will be interesting to see if the usual weekend "lull" goes below 1k. If so I may be tempted to say we're officially on the back end of the first national wave (even though it seems Texas, Florida and California all seem to have a steady increase in cases the past week).

And now back to your regularly scheduled TRUMP SHITSHOW.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-05-09 at 04:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Is Covid-19 sexually transmissible?
    Maybe?

"Traces of the COVID-19 coronavirus have been found in the semen of some severely infected men, raising the possibility that the virus might be sexually transmitted, a new study from China claims.

Researchers found evidence of the virus in six men out of a group of 38 COVID-19 patients at Shangqiu Municipal Hospital in China who provided samples.

The six men included four who were still infected and two who were recovering, the researchers said.

The study was led by Dr. Weiguo Zhao of the People's Liberation Army General Hospital in Beijing, and findings were published May 7 in the journal JAMA Network Open.

It's not surprising that the virus was found in semen samples, since it's also been found in stool and other body fluids, said Dr. Ryan Berglund, a urologist with the Cleveland Clinic's Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute.

Infectious viruses commonly are found in semen, with Zika being one recent notable example. The Chinese researchers noted that 27 different viruses have been detected in human semen.

However, Berglund and infectious disease experts warn that this does not constitute concrete evidence that COVID-19 can be sexually transmitted.

"I think that's premature," Berglund said. "You have to look at this as a sign that semen, as along with a number of other body fluids, can contain the virus.""
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    Maybe?

"Traces of the COVID-19 coronavirus have been found in the semen of some severely infected men, raising the possibility that the virus might be sexually transmitted, a new study from China claims.

Researchers found evidence of the virus in six men out of a group of 38 COVID-19 patients at Shangqiu Municipal Hospital in China who provided samples.

The six men included four who were still infected and two who were recovering, the researchers said.

The study was led by Dr. Weiguo Zhao of the People's Liberation Army General Hospital in Beijing, and findings were published May 7 in the journal JAMA Network Open.

It's not surprising that the virus was found in semen samples, since it's also been found in stool and other body fluids, said Dr. Ryan Berglund, a urologist with the Cleveland Clinic's Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute.

Infectious viruses commonly are found in semen, with Zika being one recent notable example. The Chinese researchers noted that 27 different viruses have been detected in human semen.

However, Berglund and infectious disease experts warn that this does not constitute concrete evidence that COVID-19 can be sexually transmitted.

"I think that's premature," Berglund said. "You have to look at this as a sign that semen, as along with a number of other body fluids, can contain the virus.""
    Then, the dotard is fucked
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Sometimes I worry that the media I watch is actually too hard and unfair on Trump. They seem to mostly focus on one stupid thing he said that day and spend all day talking about it.

Breaking news! Trump says something dumb! That just isn't news anymore.

I'd much rather be hearing about the seriously bad stuff he is doing. Like the regulations that are in place to protect people and the enviroment being cut, the background of all these judges hes appointing, and other stuff that seems to be over looked in the main stream media.
    So, sometimes I think people are too hard on Trump. Then I listen to speak for 5 minutes until I feel dumber and switch it off and remember Trump is still the piece of shit clown he was back in the 80s when he was a laughing stock on the cover of the tabloids. But at least I'm aware enough to question both sides.

If this site is a microcosm of the current political enviroment then I think we have a very serious problem. The pro-Trump, anti-Trump posters, I'll say 20-80%, haven't seemed to have shift their support for either side at all in the last 4 years. We have some great posts with extremely detailed and in-depth information presented to us almost daily here, and yet the pro-Trump members remained unswayed. It says to me that we are doing something wrong. Just like in the polls.

Of course not all of them deserve it, and I know there is alot of anger and hate, but some of them I imagine, just like in real life, just want to feel a little less patronized. We need to find a way to communicate and work together instead of pushing regular conservatives further towards that dangerous 15% that I shall refer too as the Alex Joneses.

Oh, and by the way, about the Fox news debate the other day. It is true. I check the site every once in awhile to see what their spin of the week is, and yes, their covid-19 information was closer to the bottom of the page than the top.

Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    We need to find a way to communicate and work together instead of pushing regular conservatives further towards that dangerous 15% that I shall refer too as the Alex Joneses.
    Well, as I keep mentioning, actual conservatives aren't Trump supporters, because you can't be both without being a maaaaaaaaassive hypocrite. Fortunately, most actual conservatives already realize this and there are many conservative folks here who have generally earned the respect of others. You probably wouldn't even know they were conservative unless you went into their post history before the 2016 elections because they fucking hate Trump as much as any liberal does, since Trump destroyed their party and set their goals back almost as much as with liberals. Fiscally conservative? Trump fucked you. Party of law and order? Trump destroyed it. "Sanctity of marriage/life"? Socially conservative? Traditionalist? *rueful laughter*

The only people who still support Trump have proven time and again that they are immune to logic, reasoning and FACTS and aren't worth trying to reason with or "find common ground" with, because all they care about is trolling or being a bigot in general.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-05-09 at 06:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's missing from this picture?

"Democrats?"

No...well, okay yes, this was a Republican lawmaker meeting with Trump. But what's missing are face masks.

Two dozen House Republicans gathered with Trump and other administration officials in the State Dining Room at the White House on Friday afternoon to discuss the country's economic recovery from the pandemic. None of the attendees wore a mask.

“I do want to advise our media friends before they write stories about how we didn’t wear masks and we didn’t possibly socially distance adequately, that you saw to it that we had tests, and that nobody in here had the coronavirus unless it's somebody in the media,” said Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, during the meeting.

“So the only reason we would wear masks is if we were trying to protect ourselves from you in the media. And we're not scared of you. So that's why we can be here like this,” Gohmert continued.
    "So they got tested. Good. What's the problem?"

*ahem*

In a way, by doing all of this testing, we make ourselves look bad.
    Testing is somewhat overrated
    This is why the whole concept of tests aren’t necessarily great. The tests are perfect but something can happen between a test where it's good and then something happens. And all of a sudden she was tested very recently and tested negative and then today I guess for some reason she tested positive.
    All Trump. All last 48 hours.

So...if the tests are perfect, and the problem is people still getting the virus...wouldn't it have to be the actions done after testing negative? Like, they got in a packed crowd and someone else not wearing a mask infected them? Trump has a point, in that there is no test "did you go into a packed crowd"?

Which is why you're not supposed to do it.

Trump, science denier and anti-vaxxer, is questioning the idea of tests because someone can get the virus after getting a test. Instead, he's encouraging people to engage in the activity that would cause them to get the virus.

That's just retarded.

Added bit of irony: the head of the FDA is now in self-quarantine.

What's missing from this picture?

"Democrats?"

No...well, okay yes, this was a Republican lawmaker meeting with Trump. But what's missing are face masks.

"So they got tested. Good. What's the problem?"

*ahem*

All Trump. All last 48 hours.

So...if the tests are perfect, and the problem is people still getting the virus...wouldn't it have to be the actions done after testing negative? Like, they got in a packed crowd and someone else not wearing a mask infected them? Trump has a point, in that there is no test "did you go into a packed crowd"?

Which is why you're not supposed to do it.

Trump, science denier and anti-vaxxer, is questioning the idea of tests because someone can get the virus after getting a test. Instead, he's encouraging people to engage in the activity that would cause them to get the virus.

That's just retarded.

Added bit of irony: the head of the FDA is now in self-quarantine.
    Oh no what ever would we do if everyone in that room got Covid-19 and possibly die from it. How on Earth could the country ever move forward from that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Oh no what ever would we do if everyone in that room got Covid-19 and possibly die from it?
    They mostly observed social distancing. Mostly.

Also, there's one more:

We may be talking about 95,000 people ultimately, we may be talking about something more than that.
    "Wait, didn't Trump say 80 to 90 thousand a week ago?"

Yes.

"And didn't he say, and I quote, 'The minimum number was 100,000 lives and I think we’ll be substantially under that number' on April 10?"

Yes. Yes he did.

"What happened?"

The same thing that happens to anyone else who makes up random crap. Reality happens and pushes their shit back in on national TV.

If the inflection point was today, we're still looking at 150,000 (and a recent prediction said 135,000 or so by August). Trump will find a way to make this not just amazing but all his doing, probably bragging about the millions that would have died if he hadn't acted so bigly. In a related story, I observed social distancing today and therefore I didn't kill seven billion people. I am the best bestiest best.

Hypotheticals, especially strawmen, aren't facts or evidence.

*The GOP being fucking stupid as always*
    I mean, sure, they get tested (taking more tests away from front-liners so they don't have to be inconvenienced by wearing a mask and standing further apart), but all those tests prove is that they don't have the virus in their system. It could easily be on their clothes, on those tables or any other surface without their knowledge. I see at least one person there touching his face after he no doubt touched the table, papers, etc.. Judging from video of Trump he can't avoid touching his face either (no wonder his hands are tiny; the scare must have stunted their growth).

If there was any justice in the world--well, Barr would have slain it at the first opportunity. But still, if there was any smidgeon left over they'd all be laid up with the virus while the adults took over to get the rest of us through this shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    How on Earth could the country ever move forward from that?
    With significantly increased velocity, I would presume.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The mind boggles. People support this fool and even consider him intelligent....
    Well that's just a whole level of dumb that I never thought I'd hear.

- - - Updated - - -

Or, and this might sound crazy to you, but any smart person (liberal, conservative, or otherwise) knows not to vote for that failed businessman. Sorry, but not every single Republican likes Trump.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no what ever would we do if everyone in that room got Covid-19 and possibly die from it. How on Earth could the country ever move forward from that?
    I'm not wishing death on anyone, nor am I a religious person.

But guess whose ass would be going door to door wanting to spread the word of Jesus and the gifts his father brings every Sunday until they died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

I don't want to be the kind of person that wishes someone would die, but it does make me angry that republicans have allowed us to have and keep such a catastrophically bad and corrupt president that I find myself realizing how much better off the world would be if he did.

Still, I'd rather Trump and the republicans suffer a historic defeat in elections. Assuming they don't manage to cheat well enough to win anyway and destroy what democracy we left.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Fed throws cold water on a quick recovery.

Interviewed by Fox News on Friday, U.S. President Donald Trump said that the jobs will be back. “They’ll be back very soon, and next year we are going to have a phenomenal year,” he said.

That’s not the dominant view at the Fed, which has slashed interest rates to zero, bought trillions of dollars of bonds and extended credit to local governments and businesses in an effort to prevent financial markets from imploding and keep the economy from even worse devastation.

San Francisco Fed President Mary Daly, who appeared on CNN an hour later, said the Fed’s unprecedented actions, along with nearly $3 trillion committed by the U.S. Congress for rescue efforts, should help.

“What I’m hoping in the baseline is we can come back safely, we listen to public health officials, we take it slow but gradual...if we do those things and we reenter safely, then I expect us to have positive growth in 2021,” Daly said.

Asked if it could take 10 or 12 years to repair the job market, as it did after the 2007-2009 financial crisis, she said, “I’m working night and day to ensure that doesn’t happen.”

“When the coronavirus is behind us, we can reengage fully,” Daly said, noting. “It won’t be quick; in my opinion, it won’t be ‘V’-shaped, it will be gradual.”

“A couple months ago I was optimistic, I was hopeful, that maybe we would have a ‘V’-shaped recovery - shut things down, clamp down on the virus, and then have a quick recovery,” Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank President Neel Kashkari said in an interview on the PBS Newshour.
    We've basically seen two types of predictions so far.

1) Long-term, 12-18 months out, which aren't right/wrong yet because 12-18 months haven't passed, and
    2) Short-term, such as “I think it’s going to work out fine. I think when we get into April, in the warmer weather, that has a very negative effect on that and that type of a virus", which have almost exclusively been Trump's and almost exclusively been wrong. You might have noticed Trump moved his death count predictions from 60,000 to 80/90,000 to 95,000+ over the course of the last couple weeks. Because he keeps being wrong.

I think, at this point, even Trump's own supporters need to acknowledge that he's just wrong too many times to listen to. It's time to listen to people who actually know what they're talking about.

Just to drive that point home:

It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.
    Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) & CNN are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!
    Gallup just gave us the highest rating ever for the way we are handling the CoronaVirus situation. The April 2009-10 Swine Flu, where nearly 13,000 people died in the U.S., was poorly handled. Ask MSDNC & lightweight Washington failure RonaldKlain, who the President was then?
    The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!
    So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!
    We are now past 70,000 per year, of course.

I'm had trouble finding long-term flu deaths, but the CDC has results from every season 2010-2011 and further on that page. The highest season, 2017/2018 yes that's Trump's, their estimate was 61,000 deaths and their 95% confidence interval went as high as 95,000 deaths. Meaning, Trump has now moved the goalposts past the worst realistic case scenario of the last decade -- which was also his.

"But Breccia! What about the outbreak Trump was referring to?"

Oddly enough, the regular flu didn't kill that many people that year. Because H1N1 scared people into, well, being careful. The total from 2009/2010, H1N1 included, was about the average of the previous ten years. That's why we're supposed to be socially distancing.

As we've said over and over, the so-called swine flu epidemic Trump tried to blame Biden for, the CDC said killed 12,500 people or so. Older CDC estimates top out at 49,000 so, again, anti-vaxxer Trump's 2017/2018 beat them all. See also: measles.

If we staple the 12,500 H1N1 deaths on top of the highest realistic result since 1976, that's Trump's, we get 117,500. As soon as we hit/pass that, Trump will have seen more people die from COVID-19 than the worst flu season since 1976 plus the H1N1 outbreak he attacked Biden over. And that's a strawman. It's not just possible, but realistic, that even the most strawman of flu deaths will be beaten in death count by the virus Trump tried to handwave.

*cough*

But I digress.

Trump said it was locked down, he was wrong. He said it would slow down in April, he was wrong. He said 60,000 deaths, he was wrong. He moved it to 80/90,000 deaths, that's not technically wrong yet but we're already beating on the front door of that one. He said the stock market was looking good in late Feb, he was wrong wrongiest wrong on that one. And now, he's going on live TV and saying he'll bring back the 33.5 million lost jobs "very soon".

Stop listening to Trump. He lies all the time about everything, and his predictions have failed every single time so far except his 95,000 death count prediction which isn't wrong because it hasn't happened yet. His track record could be arguably negative because, when possible, he's wrong out the other side (such as deaths increasing in April, instead of decreasing).

Speaking of not wearing a mask.

Asked why President Trump didn’t wear a mask while honoring WW II veterans in their 90s—just a day after one of his personal valets tested positive for COVID-19—press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said, “They made the choice to come here” https://t.co/UTLLh3i9kH https://t.co/fZmUWdPu1m
    https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/12...945819137?s=19

What narcassit, sociopath. Can't wear a mask a who cares about our last remaining WW II veterans.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!