10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Calling me a Bernie bro. Top humor right there.
    I'm not the one getting the vapors because Pelosi didn't choke the speech out and make it call her mommy before tearing it up or whatever the fuck you're upset about now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Also, nasty.
    Hah.

Nice.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    And that makes me Bernie bro... Why?
    Bernie Bro is the least profanity laden term to describe it. Blame the English language, not me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...htmlstory.html

Jesus christ, this is the stupid shit McEnany is rambling on about today about 112% of the LA population being registered to vote.

Fucking Judicial Watch bullshit and misinformation literally debunked years ago.

Fuck this Karen and her lying vocal chords.
    This is what happens when you hire people based on looks, and not competence.

She's a bottle-blonde whose sole job is to lie, and she does it very badly.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    And then Trump's approval rating stayed largely the same.
    You seem to be really focused on some dramatic change in Trump after Pelosi spoke to the world at large regarding her contempt for his words and actions. The accomplishment was the statement - words and actions have meaning, and it was showing the world that not everyone buys the lies that Trump tries to sell.

It was a dramatic gesture done in a classy way.

Yes, and? Everybody already knows Trump is full of shit. Fuck political statements. They are not worth anything.
    That is your opinion and I respectfully disagree. The fact that we're still talking about her political statement is meaningful, so it certainly had some broad impact across multiple points of view.

I completely agree with you about the intellectual veracity of most Trump supporters. But there is demonstrably little we can do to sway them - they have taken willful ignorance and voting-against-your-own-interests to new heights. How we tackle that problem is for another day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    I hope so. If I were Twitter, and there were any kinds of actual restrictions (as opposed to executive orders that mean nothing and aren't enforceable), I would not only move it to a democratic country, I would lay off every US employee in the process.
    I would certainly look at moving the corporate headquarters to a more hospitable country. I wonder how many are waiting for post-November results to make dramatic decisions?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Not likely. Twitter would likely consider moving its HQ out of US. However, it would never consider moving its HQ out of SF. So they are stuck.
    That's an interesting statement (assuming SF is San Francisco). Why are they stuck in that predicament? And more specifically, why stuck in SF?

And here we have arrived at the nucleus of the reason why Trump is the president and will continue to be elected to second term.

"... And then I called him... a Bernie Bro! Hihihihi I insulted him without using profanity because I'm so witty! That'll teach him! "
    Ah yes, that is specifically why Trump was elected.

I think you finally nailed it, that's the heart of the matter. It's nothing nuanced or complicated like decades of conservative efforts to create an easily manipulated audience of proud "know-nothings", it has nothing to do with decades (centuries) of deep-rooted racism that's been leveraged explicitly and implicitly to galvanize support, it has nothing to do with weaponizing religion and single issue voters, it has nothing to do with the focus on showmanship over substance, etc. etc. etc.

No, none of that is the nucleus of the issue. It's that liberals on the internet might mildly insult people and hurt their feelings.

Am I understanding your post correctly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I'm really curious what executive order he could do that would affect social media.
    So is everyone else.

The text was not made available and reporters were not present when it was signed. Or, I guess, when the White House claimed Trump signed it.

The current theory seems to be that social media currently has a level of legal protection from what people post on it -- for example, hypothetically, if I were to call for the death of Justin Beiber, MMO-C would not be held liable. Especially since, if I were to do such, I would likely be infracted, maybe banned, and the post might be scrubbed. Even screenshots that snuck in wouldn't be enough to "prove" MMO-C was advocating the death of a Canadian.

The E.O. is, in theory, targeting that protection if the platform in general engages in what Trump calls censorship. Also, it would allow Barr to demand social media platforms hand over their decision-making about what gets blocked and what does not. "You signed the EULA" apparently isn't enough.

It's likely to fail. Simply put, this is the federal government trying to regulate non-government speech -- 100% what the First Amendment is there to do. It'd have to reach SCOTUS for Trump's appointees to take a swing at it, which will take too long, but it's also a blatantly clear black-and-white issue. Twitter cannot break the First Amendment. So until they break their contract with their subscribers, and in fact while they enforce the contract with their subscribers as written and signed, there's nothing legal that Trump can do.

Incidentally, there are moves in the GOP House and Senate to overhaul the law which gives the protection Trump is attacking. The House will block those. It's screaming into the wind that might not even get up for a vote.

I'm also willing to bet that there's wording in that Twitter contract about threats that allows Twitter do dump people issuing threats against them.

Yes.
    Cool, why the fuck do we even have a field of political science if this is really all just that fucking simple?

The issue is that liberals on the internet cry foul when Trump says some retarded thing, and think they need to educate people on how and why what Trump said is wrong and hurtful.
    Much of Trump's base isn't on the internet too much. Or on liberal sites where liberals are going to correct them.

Everyone with working brain already knows that is the case and you just end up wasting precious time and resources on educating people who don't want to be educated.
    So you're saying that Democrats can't flip these unflippable people by trying to educate these unflippable people, and if I got your earlier argument right, should just run their own right wing knuckle dragging simpleton instead?

Because you never did say who that candidate for Democrats should be that would grab this audience, if not Biden.

You work with what you got. You won't educate the US population in time to be smart enough to vote Trump out.
    So...they're a lost cause, again, and how Pelosi tore up his speech doesn't matter?

Giving them meaner memes than what Trump provides them is how you get enough of them to vote against Trump so you can get rid of him.
    I legitimately don't even know what this fucking means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man... this silance from freedom of speech warriors is something... not even a both sides?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    So, @Radux

You've been stopping by the forums lately. Surely you've been made aware of Trump's Executive Order. And this is a social media platform.

I believe it is now time for you to explain how MMO-C will address the situation.

Sorry, but, this is now a federal issue. I don't think the blues get to sit this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Man... this silance from freedom of speech warriors is something... not even a both sides?
    Yep, it's official (again). Trump hates the First Amendment, and the United States Constitution. Anyone who supports it, is pushing for authoritarian rule, and silencing of business owners.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soooooo...

Was an EO signed or not...?

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Soooooo...

It was, I have yet to see the exact working. His rambling words were bad enough.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Soooooo...

It was but we don't actually know anything about it yet? Because Transparency is for suckers.

I think Brecca had the best idea on what it likely is, but I'm also fully expecting it to just be a piece of Printer Paper with 'Stop being mean to me >' written in sharpie.

Soooooo...

Yes, but they're not telling anyone what's in it. The most transparent administration in history, folks.

Soooooo...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/28/p...der/index.html

Apparently, yes. And they know it will be immediately challenged because it's based on the same EO they were considering last summer, because its legality was never the point. Showing Trump "DOING SOMETHING" was the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so explain this to me then.

How the fuck is anyone supposed to enforce anything if no-one knows what's in the EO...?

Like, I know the administration is jam packed with dumb mother (and daughter) fuckers, but this is some basic shit right here.

How the fuck is anyone supposed to enforce anything if no-one knows what's in the EO...?

Like, I know the administration is jam packed with dumb mother (and daughter) fuckers, but this is some basic shit right here.
    Because none of that is the point of this EO, which I'm sure they all know internally will be overturned by judges post-haste.

It's a performance. Everything about this presidency is a performance. This is top tier reality TV right now.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Maybe to delay it getting struck down? Or so they can selectively enforce it? Idk, Trump's not a smart cookie and this whole thing is likely just a stunt.