Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    But in the fucking US?
    Uh...most definitely.

Our education system is garbage. People get their news and information from reading headlines on facebook posts and joining groups of "like-minded" people to reinforce their views. We've got plenty of "alternative" news sites happy to tell people whatever will get them clicks, even if it means continuing to feed them misinformation. We've got religious institutions backing up a lot of this shit (though not getting into religion discussion). We've got notable news outlets like Fox and OAN that regularly traffic in this very kind of insanity and misinformation.

Plus, like, a president that backs up a lot of this complete fucking insanity and doesn't squash it like he should.

Also...Florida, just Florida. It's something in the air. Something in the water. Something in the...something, but Florida seems to have an unusual concentration of complete nutters for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Also...Florida, just Florida. It's something in the air. Something in the water. Something in the...something, but Florida seems to have an unusual concentration of complete nutters for some reason.
    Here are some Florida Man headlines for the last week or so...

• Florida man carrying nearly 500 grams of weed tries to steal plane to meet
      girlfriend, police say
    • Florida man caught harboring an 80-pound iguana in his restaurant freezer
    • Video shows Florida man who refused to wear mask fighting his way into Walmart
    • Police: Florida man stole, crashed and abandoned $1M yacht
    • Florida Man Stuffs Wine down Pants in Local Winecrime Rampage
    • Florida man with machete face tattoo accused of machete attack
    • Police: Florida man lets 12-year-old drive Jeep 85 mph

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I've said it before, but this is all a result of our allowing reality to become politicized.
    This. Right here. Perfectly sums up the root of all the problems we fact in the United States today. Trump is the result of it, not the cause. But he's certainly making it worse.

Hey - how many people do you have to be the cause of death for to initiate indictment for Crimes Against Humanity? Asking for a friend....

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Jesus Christ that kid looks like he has lived off the silver spoon of mommy and daddy his entire life. Either gifted his company from daddy or given a shit ton of money to start it.
    "I strongly oppose the Democrats’ plans to create socialized medicine."

"Cawthorn has stated that he would "like to be the face of the Republican Party when it comes to health care," following the US$3 million in medical debt he amassed after his 2014 car accident."

I know I'm a little late to the Cawthorn stuff, but I gave him a cursory glance while I was catching up on the thread and holy shit there's no way you're wrong with this kind of dissonance. $3 mil in medical debt but thinks everyone should pay for their own healthcare. That's a few silver spoons at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Not a fan... Florida Man is just an acceptable way to make fun of the addicts, homeless and mentally ill.

Who is Florida Man?
    https://www.cjr.org/business_of_news...a-man-news.php
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Why we have people so fucking stupid in the US?
    I can understand the anti vaxxers existing in my country (even when they are a bunch of idiotic imbeciles), as trust in the institutions is in an all time low... But in the fucking US?

PS: Our body is not perfect. Is full of design flaws (like not being able to breathe while eating, or having suprisingly exposed tendons on our legs and feet)
    Decades of political strife waged by large scale propaganda machines have turned everything into a political issue and brainwashed people into supporting their side no matter what.
    Continuously fanning the flames of 'us vs them' and deep down a civil war that was technically won, but never resolved.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

https://www.thedailybeast.com/judge-...l-all?ref=home

And Trump and his brother tried to fight his nieces book in the wrong fucking court, their attempt to stop it has been tossed as the judge.

Queens County Surrogate Court Judge Peter Kelly cited “several improprieties” in Robert Trump’s filing that rendered it “fatally defective”—including that it was based on the official disposition of patriarch Fred Trump Sr.’s estate, which wrapped up in 2001 and is thus for legal purposes “nonexistent.” That settlement included a confidentiality clause that niece Mary Trump signed, and which the elder Trumps have argued prevents her from publishing the sort of titillating family secrets her memoir is set to contain.

But Kelly asserted that his court could not provide the declaratory judgment blocking the book that Robert sought, and recommended the Trump brother try his luck in the New York State Supreme Court, which oversees civil and criminal matters. The Surrogate Court strictly handles the wills and assets of the deceased.
    These fucking clowns...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us...ing-system-out

Some "well-balanced" individuals explain in that video.
    God, Allah, Buddha and fucking Shiva.

I might sound cruel, but I hope anyone that says they're willing to die for the U.S. flag over being told to temporarily wear a fucking mask actually does.

It can only be beneficial to the rest of society.

Also, fuck Florida.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-06-26 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    God, Allah, Buddha and fucking Shiva.

I might sound cruel, but I hope anyone that says they're willing to die for the U.S. flag over being told to temporarily wear a fucking mask actually does.

It can only be beneficial to the rest of society.

Also, fuck Florida.
    I did watch the video on cnn about some Karens trying to argue that wearing a mask was some form of satanic worship...
    The emperor of mankind and his enforced secularism cannot come fast enough...
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post

• Florida man carrying nearly 500 grams of weed tries to steal plane to meet
      girlfriend, police say
    • Florida man caught harboring an 80-pound iguana in his restaurant freezer
    • Video shows Florida man who refused to wear mask fighting his way into Walmart
    • Police: Florida man stole, crashed and abandoned $1M yacht
    • Florida Man Stuffs Wine down Pants in Local Winecrime Rampage
    • Florida man with machete face tattoo accused of machete attack
    • Police: Florida man lets 12-year-old drive Jeep 85 mph
    Florida Man: The worlds worst superhero.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Okay, okay, okay, okay WAIT.

Anyone from New Jersey? Or at least access to New Jersey websites? (I can't get to some of them from abroad.)

Either there's been a huge typo or a MASSIVE correction today, because now New Jersey is apparently reporting 1,743 new deaths today. I'm not sure if that's going to stand...but when I checked the numbers and saw today had gone up by more than 2k I was alarmed to say the least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    New Jersey is apparently reporting 1,743 new deaths today.
    https://twitter.com/NJDeptofHealth/s...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

NJDOH says 26 two hours ago.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you saw. Could it be a correction spanning quite a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    EDIT: Oh, I see what you saw. Could it be a correction spanning quite a while?
    It's either that or a huge typo, as I said. I certainly don't think 1.7k just up and died suddenly in NJ. I can't find their source for this one because I can't get to some of the links posted, but I'm not reading any news about it anywhere, so I'm crossing my fingers that it's just a fluke that'll be corrected.

10+ Year Old Account
    So a bill is working its way through the Senate that gives the DoJ IG more power to start investigations into the DoJ.

A panel passed it by a vote of 21 to Lindsey Graham, who wanted the AG to sign off on investigations. Which...kind of defeats the point.

AG Barr does not support the bill. DoJ IG Horowitz does. Draw your own conclusions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    It's either that or a huge typo, as I said.
    That's the more likely option, I think. I found other articles suggesting this happened before, such as April 11.

So a bill is working its way through the Senate that gives the DoJ IG more power to start investigations into the DoJ.

A panel passed it by a vote of 21 to Lindsey Graham, who wanted the AG to sign off on investigations. Which...kind of defeats the point.

AG Barr does not support the bill. DoJ IG Horowitz does. Draw your own conclusions.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the more likely option, I think. I found other articles suggesting this happened before, such as April 11.
    Welp, just found out why:

New Jersey’s coronavirus death toll adds nearly 2,000 probable fatalities

So it looks legit (and IS in keeping with the CDC guidance on reporting), unfortunately. I'm not going to count it as part of today's total, but it does mean the overall total is now north of 126k.

EDIT: And now worldometers has taken that number down--probably considering whether or not it should be counted. That puts the total back between 124-125k, but that might change again before the final tallies for the day. They usually try to keep things consistent with what's being reported.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-06-25 at 08:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    CNN: Donald Trump is facing the prospect of a landslide loss
    A half dozen new swing-state polls released Thursday morning suggest that not only would President Donald Trump lose if the election were held today, he would lose in a landslide.

The surveys, conducted by The New York Times and Siena College, show Trump trailing former Vice President Joe Biden by double digits in Michigan (Biden +11), Wisconsin (Biden +11) and Pennsylvania (Biden+ 10) and by mid-single digits in North Carolina (Biden +9), Arizona (Biden +7) and Florida (Biden +6).

Trump won every one of those states in the 2016 election. Switch them from red to blue and you can quickly see just how bad hings look for Trump at the moment.

And, thanks to CNN's handy dandy "Road to 270" interactive electoral maps, we can do just that!

Give Biden those six states -- Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Arizona and Florida -- and keep the rest of the 2020 map just as it was in 2016, and the Democratic nominee has 333 electoral votes to just 205 for Trump. That would be a larger Electoral College margin than President Barack Obama won with in his 2012 reelection.

But even that doesn't capture how dark things could get for Trump. Consider:
    • A Quinnipiac University poll in Ohio released Wednesday showed Biden at 46% to Trump's 45%. (A Fox News poll released in early June showed Biden at 47% to Trump's 45%). If Ohio went to Biden, he would be at 351 electoral votes.
    • A Des Moines Register poll earlier this month put Trump at 44% and Biden at 43% in Iowa. Give Biden Iowa and he's at 357 electoral votes.
    • A Quinnipiac University poll released at the start of this month had Biden within a point of Trump in Texas. If Biden managed to win Texas, he'd have 395 electoral votes, the largest electoral vote haul since George H.W. Bush beat Michael Dukakis in 1988 with 426 electoral votes.

Now, to be clear: It's very unlikely that Biden wins all 9 of those states. Texas last went for a Democratic presidential candidate in 1976, when Jimmy Carter carried it. Ohio and Iowa went to Trump convincingly in 2016 and Republicans held steady there in 2018 -- winning the governorships in both.

But what these recent spate of poll numbers make clear is that all of these states are very much in play. So, I don't think Biden is going to win Texas but a) Trump will have to spend money (lots of it) on TV ads to lock the state down and b) polling suggests that there is a path for Biden in the Lone Star State.

Plus, Biden doesn't need to win Texas. Or Florida. Or Ohio. Or North Carolina. Or even Arizona. If Biden wins only Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania -- and holds the rest of states Hillary Clinton won in 2016 -- he wins the White House with 278 electoral votes. Anything beyond those three states, which have had, prior to the 2016 election, a long history of supporting Democrats at the presidential level, is gravy.

What the current landscape suggests is this: There's a very credible chance that Biden crests 330 electoral votes on November 3. Which, in a political world as polarized and bifurcated as this one and against a sitting incumbent president, would, to my mind, qualify as a landslide.

The only hope for Trump is that it's June 25. Which means the election isn't for another 132 days. Trump has to hope that things change drastically in the next five months. If they don't, it will not likely be a long election night for him.

And since a picture is worth a 1000 words:

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    And since a picture is worth a 1000 words:
    Unfortunately, while that is encouraging, we risk falling into the same trap that partially caused the loss in 2016. Thinking that we are so far ahead could lead to "I don't need to vote because we have this in the bag". And I hope that doesn't happen this time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Call me cynical, but I interpret that as a purely financial move. She wanted to be the stereotypical blonde GOP talking head with daddy issues. When Trump got into a fight with her dad, she really couldn't do that, so she decided to pivot toward the anti-Trump Conservative angle, and hope that her career can outlast Trump.

She is a cash grabbing talking head with no opinions or qualifications of her own. She will vote for whoever is best for her career, and her family feud with Trump counts him out. John McCain was a very different person, while he wasn't exactly a very good person, he was at least his own man.
    She does have a monster rack on her though.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

I never know Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Arizona are swing states.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I've said it before, but this is all a result of our allowing reality to become politicized.
    This. Right here. Perfectly sums up the root of all the problems we fact in the United States today. Trump is the result of it, not the cause. But he's certainly making it worse.

Hey - how many people do you have to be the cause of death for to initiate indictment for Crimes Against Humanity? Asking for a friend....

- - - Updated - - -

I'm willing to accept "we don't have working tests for a brand new virus", and "we counted the same person multiple times" seems pretty grade-school level of screwup. But we're seeing yet more intentional obstruction by the SBA, refusing to say whether the money was distributed fairly, or handed to Trump's campaign donors. Based purely on Trump's disdain for the 5th, his refusal to answer means I will assume the latter is the case until we're shown otherwise. Sorry. I don't make the rules. I just see to it they're enforced.
    If Biden wins, the Truth and Reconciliation Committee is going to become a cabinet position, considering how long it will take to investigate Trumps lies and felonies both outside and inside the government.