Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    I'm pretty sure Trump has no shot at reelection, but oh the karma if so many GOP voters get sick and die, or are too sick to go vote and Trump only wins under 100 EC votes.
    I prefer to not be optimistic until after the election is over... Everyone thought "there's no chance in hell this orange idiot wins" last time, and yet here we are.

But yeah, they were happy pretending the virus was no big deal when it was primarily impacting densely-populated blue areas of the country. But now that it's moved on to more red states, it will be interesting if they actually decide that they should take it seriously...or if they're just going to keep ignoring/politicizing it as if that will magically make it go away.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I prefer to not be optimistic until after the election is over... Everyone thought "there's no chance in hell this orange idiot wins" last time, and yet here we are.

But yeah, they were happy pretending the virus was no big deal when it was primarily impacting densely-populated blue areas of the country. But now that it's moved on to more red states, it will be interesting if they actually decide that they should take it seriously...or if they're just going to keep ignoring/politicizing it as if that will magically make it go away.
    Frankly there were barely any of those. Polls routinely showed a close race, within the margin of error. Pretty much one poll showed HEC with close to or in the double digits close to election day. There was an oddsmaker that said HRC had like a 89% chance. Thise were odds notbpools and polls only reflect the mindset in that particular moment.

The big difference is each moment keeps showing Trump losing support and Biden gaining it. Each moment sees Trump fucking things up even more. Each moment we see people feeling like they were hoodwinked by a snake oil salesman compared to 2016. I can be confident all I want. That doesn't mean I won't vote. Doesn't mean I haven't spent 10s of thousands of dollars to get people registered and donated to Biden, state, and local candidates. And I still plan rent Van's to help get people out to polling places if they haven't done mail in voting.

Likewise, there is a huge sentiment about 2016 that is driving registration and likely/enthusiastic voters like I haven't seen since 2008. I expect to see a larger turnout than 2008. But I will be confident because the data backs it up unlike 2016.

Edit.

This comes off a bit snarky towards you but it was nit meant to an attack. Just frustrated at all the not allowed to be confident talk I hear.
    Last edited by SirBeef; 2020-06-27 at 10:11 PM.

This comes off a bit snarky towards you but it was nit meant to an attack. Just frustrated at all the not allowed to be confident talk I hear.
    My lack of confidence doesn't stem from some notion that more people will vote for Trump. His support is dropping across the board. He's under just about everywhere he won in 2016. In a fair election, he'll lose handily.

The problem is whether or not there will BE a fair election. The FEC has essentially been shuttered for a couple years now thanks to Trump's refusal to hire anyone for the job--and they are required by law to have a quorum in order to enforce policy. Without the FEC the GOP pretty much has carte blanche to cheat and steal as much as they can. And they will. Look toward the elections in Kentucky and Georgia recently if you want any evidence of that.

The fight here isn't ensuring that more people will vote for Biden (in the right places). It's ensuring that enough people CAN vote as opposed to being suppressed into oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Uhm... they have the most front line staff. They are the people Trump’s supporters would rather get sick, then go a month without a hair cut. Why would Latino community be most impacted anyway? Did it look like majority of protesters were a specific race?
    Most likely is that they are less resistant to it. It's easy to see what has happend here most protesters where asymptomatic then carried the disease back to vulnerable groups. The disease likely has run its course in other states.

10+ Year Old Account
    so I have spent the last 24 hours (minus the 8 or so for sleep) trying to get a test that covered by my insurance, and so far, most places either require a doctor to refer you(and all the doctors in my area are closed from 5pm Fri till 9am Mon), or say you have to register online, which after calling and asking, they told me their site doesn't actually work...

so as a resident of Houston, it is of my opinion that we are rightly fucked.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    Most likely is that they are less resistant to it. It's easy to see what has happend here most protesters where asymptomatic then carried the disease back to vulnerable groups. The disease likely has run its course in other states.
    What? There is no data showing a broad increase in cases. The increases are coming from places that reopened earlier.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    What? There is no data showing a broad increase in cases. The increases are coming from places that reopened earlier.
    Ignore it. It loves to swoop in, spread bullshit without any evidence backing it up and then swoop out again after being resoundingly proven wrong over and over. It contributes nothing and engaging with it is just a waste of your time.

7+ Year Old Account
    There is absolutely no evidence to support what you’re saying. Stop lying.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Hey guys. I get to do it.

COVID numbers in for Florida and they are OVER 9000!

9598 to be exact. Almost 10000 people sick because a bunch of mouth breathing chuds can’t wear masks or not travel during a pandemic.

Keep in mind this number is cooked as well. The local emergency care here had 40 positives the state didn’t count because they used the fast acting test and the state doesn’t approve of its use.
    I remember i was following an instagram model that lived in florida, and went out to party and to the beach/to the sea in a boat (only using a facemask in march-april. And well... said beaches were packed to the brim with people.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure Trump has no shot at reelection, but oh the karma if so many GOP voters get sick and die, or are too sick to go vote and Trump only wins under 100 EC votes.
    With a probable number of 150k+ dead people for november 3rd, many of his voters will be under 6feet of dirt. His base is mostly old, white males, and said people are dying in droves.

- - - Updated - - -

Even accounting the probable difference on severity based on diet/blood type/vitamin deficency/melanin count in the skin, latino people are getting sick in a higher % than the rest of the population because of the nature of the jobs that a significant number of them do (meat packing, working in warehouses, working as a cashier, etc.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    My lack of confidence doesn't stem from some notion that more people will vote for Trump. His support is dropping across the board. He's under just about everywhere he won in 2016. In a fair election, he'll lose handily.

The problem is whether or not there will BE a fair election. The FEC has essentially been shuttered for a couple years now thanks to Trump's refusal to hire anyone for the job--and they are required by law to have a quorum in order to enforce policy. Without the FEC the GOP pretty much has carte blanche to cheat and steal as much as they can. And they will. Look toward the elections in Kentucky and Georgia recently if you want any evidence of that.

The fight here isn't ensuring that more people will vote for Biden (in the right places). It's ensuring that enough people CAN vote as opposed to being suppressed into oblivion.
    Last time (in the mid-terms) the gop had the same opportunity and means to cheat (and the same motives). And it lost hard. So i'd be a little less bleak on the outcome, but very vigilant nevertheless
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    so as a resident of Houston, it is of my opinion that we are rightly fucked.
    Do you mean "by Republicans" or "because we deserve it"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Do you mean "by Republicans" or "because we deserve it"?
    at this point, 70-30 split
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump decides the crowd size at Tulsa rally was 12,000 and dismisses the fire chief's numbers.

It really looked like a war-zone really. And even though all of that was happening, still 12,000 people showed up
    Because Trump lies all the time, about everything. We have pictures of all those empty seats.

Trump decides the crowd size at Tulsa rally was 12,000 and dismisses the fire chief's numbers.

Because Trump lies all the time, about everything. We have pictures of all those empty seats.
    It did look like a terryfying warzone. Event organizers were calmly clearing the outside area of fences and so on for all the 600000 people who didn't show up.

10+ Year Old Account
    It actually says quite a lot about his failed rally, doesn't it? Even if the fire chief's numbers were somehow incorrect, it's a far cry from the 100,000 the city they said they expected...and let's not even talk about the numbers Trump himself was spouting before the rally. Spin, spin spin, it's all the Trump campaign knows how to do.

10+ Year Old Account

It's like these clowns saw 1984 as an instruction manual.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    #TRE45ON is now trending heavily on social media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Is Florida still hiding it's numbers too? Even after all this? Or are they sticking to that sort of statistical manipulation, rather than outright lies?
    They are, but it's basically impossible to hide ICU capacity.

It's the same here in Texas where not all counties are reporting everyday, but ICUs being LITERALLY full tells the story anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    It's like these clowns saw 1984 as an instruction manual.
    Their manual is probably an earlier book that came from Germany. It was something about a struggle.

Excluding self-published works, Book Riot counted 51 qualifying books about the Trump presidency.

We’re getting new Trump books at an average rate of about 1.5 per month, if we start counting with The Truth About Trump from May 2016. However, 60% of the genre came out in 2018 alone. That’s 30 books in a 12-month period, or an average of 2.5 books per month. Publication clumped in the fall, likely because November was an election season. September of that year saw the debut of six Trump books; October generated five more. Expect the rate of Trump book publication to accelerate again as we approach the 2020 election.

Cory Lewandowsi, Ann Coulter, Newt Gingrich, and David Cay Johnston have each written two Trump books. I’ve marked the 10 books authored by former campaign or administration employees with a triangle. Roger Stone’s second Trump book isn’t on the list because as of this writing, it hasn’t been published yet.

To give these numbers some context, I have found less than 10 books written about or by Barack Obama during his presidency and campaign. Two of those were by Obama himself. I have also found 16 Obama books that hit the shelves after Trump swore in. Some are laudatory and nostalgic, others are hostile. Many seem to be reactions to the Trump presidency one way or another. It may be useful, if demoralizing, to consider Obama books a genre variant on or offshoot of Trump books.
    He still has a long way to go to beat Lincoln though. According to Abebooks.com, at least 15,000 books have been written about Abraham Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    #TRE45ON is now trending heavily on social media.
    Yeah... what happened? Normally the weekends are rather slow in news.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker