Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    How do they even keep track of active cases when many people don't get hospitalized. Do they have some database to keep track of everyone who tested positive and keep up to date to see if they recovered? Why according to that site has new york only seen increases in active cases and no decreases?
    Confirmed cases that don't require hospitalization still must quarantine. I have to imagine regular check-ins with their doctor are a must up until they are tested again and confirmed negative.

The curve for active cases in New York has essentially flattened, but they're still getting over 500 new cases every day and this virus hangs around for weeks. The total has dipped a few times, but after the outbreak they had there you probably won't see a real dive in active cases for a while. It's part of what makes COVID-19 so deadly. It fucking overstays its welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    So this t-shirt design is at best a lazy and cheap vector, and at worst a nod to Nazi imagery.

Who the hell runs this campaign?
    The $88 red and black baseball they are also selling is a bit more than a nod to the Nazi's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The book will get out, regardless
    Hey, I saw a couple of articles from sources I didn't recognize suggesting the sister was affected by the NDA, but not the publisher. Therefore, because the publisher already had the info, they were not restricted, and could publish what they'd (illegally) been told. Meanwhile the sister is possibly in trouble for telling in the first place.

Does that hold water to you?

So this t-shirt design is at best a lazy and cheap vector, and at worst a nod to Nazi imagery.

The guy who told the world that his campaign will be the death star of campaigns.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ale-death-star
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Brad Parscale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Zaydin; 2020-07-02 at 04:01 AM.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Confirmed cases that don't require hospitalization still must quarantine. I have to imagine regular check-ins with their doctor are a must up until they are tested again and confirmed negative.

The curve for active cases in New York has essentially flattened, but they're still getting over 500 new cases every day and this virus hangs around for weeks. The total has dipped a few times, but after the outbreak they had there you probably won't see a real dive in active cases for a while. It's part of what makes COVID-19 so deadly. It fucking overstays its welcome.
    That makes sense. I've seen a few outliers of people who tested positive back in march/april getting tested positive the last few weeks thinking they got re-infected when reality is more like they got falsely tested negative and still have it months later.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Hey, I saw a couple of articles from sources I didn't recognize suggesting the sister was affected by the NDA, but not the publisher. Therefore, because the publisher already had the info, they were not restricted, and could publish what they'd (illegally) been told. Meanwhile the sister is possibly in trouble for telling in the first place.

Does that hold water to you?
    I haven't found anything with a cursory glance, but legally, the publisher technically isn't under the NDA, and it's really Mary who violated it. Since that violation already occurred, the Trump Crime Syndicate would only have recourse to sue post publication, seeking damages/etc. Not sure though - I haven't read the appellate ruling yet....

The Donnie Dumb Dumb sons are out for blood as well, claiming it's a violation of their family trust. At least they got the violation right, we'll have to see how the rest plays out.

I think the two utes would agree.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-07-02 at 04:15 AM.

I haven't found anything with a cursory glance, but legally, the publisher technically isn't under the NDA, and it's really Mary who violated it. Since that violation already occurred, the Trump Crime Syndicate would only have recourse to sue post publication, seeking damages/etc. Not sure though - I haven't read the appellate ruling yet....

But I think the two utes would agree.
    IIRC, you can chain injunctions right? Mary had a deal with the publisher, her obligations under the NDA can, in some circumstances, get transferred to them. Again, not a lawyer, so the size of the grain of salt you should take this with is fairly large. I think that's what the DoJ tried to say in bolton's case, and the judge let it get published saying something like, "For reasons that I don't need to mention, I'm not going to block the release of political speech, but fuck his profits."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    IIRC, you can chain injunctions right? Mary had a deal with the publisher, her obligations under the NDA can, in some circumstances, get transferred to them. Again, not a lawyer, so the size of the grain of salt you should take this with is fairly large. I think that's what the DoJ tried to say in bolton's case, and the judge let it get published saying something like, "For reasons that I don't need to mention, I'm not going to block the release of political speech, but fuck his profits."
    And that would be the flip side, and is certainly reasonable - that the info Mary is trying to publish is covered by an NDA, which could and should extend to a publisher working with her to essentially violate the NDA. I certainly would include that language in any NDA I asked to be signed in a situation like this - and Trump is a lifetime champ of writing and enforcing NDAs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    The Trump campaign has apparently unveiled a new logo for official campaign T-shirts. Wanna see it? No? Too bad.

I did nazi this one coming.
    Ugh, at least we can still enjoy dad-joke level humor, even as democracy burns down around us. Good one, though - seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    The guy who told the world that his campaign will be the death star of campaigns.
    You know, Brad always seemed to be out for himself first, becoming a multimillionaire only after starting to work for the Trump campaign. At this point maybe he's out to sabotage it and just doesn't give a fuck - he's worth at least $20M by now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    To extend this a bit - the publisher is saying that they had no knowledge of a NDA and Mary had already given them information re Trump's taxes back in 2018 - she was the source for the NYTimes article, at least she claims. The law is unclear to me on this issue, but the appellate court lifting the injunction is very telling. As I mentioned previously, the first judge was almost certainly forum shopped. The appellate is the first objective blush we've seen. And they essentially said "no fucking way this holds".

- - - Updated - - -

Well, fuck - this is what I get for coming to the party late, and not reading first, then posting. @Breccia and @Ripster42, apologies.

The ruling upheld the TRO against Mary Trump, holding the NDA was valid. However, it held that the TRO against the publisher was invalid, ruling that Simon & Schuster were not Mary's agent (a key term of art in legalese). They are set to hear full arguments next week, but the TRO is currently lifted against Simon & Schuster and they are set to release at the end of July. Expect a quick appeal of this ruling.

Full opinion.

From the ruling:
    Thus, the restraining order should be modified to limit its scope to Ms. Trump and any agent of hers. While the plaintiff has alleged, in effect, that S&S is Ms. Trump’s agent, the evidence submitted is insufficient for this Court to determine whether the plaintiff is likely to succeed in establishing that claim. So, while the plaintiff is entitled to have the temporary restraining order bind any agent of the plaintiff, this Court will not name S&S as being such an agent.
    It is...interesting that the court is saying that the TRO and NDA covers any agent of Mary's, but excludes S&S as an agent, because Trump's lawyers haven't shown them to be agents of Mary's, merely a third party. Hmmmmm....

10+ Year Old Account
    The ruling upheld the TRO against Mary Trump, holding the NDA was valid. However, it held that the TRO against the publisher was invalid, ruling that Simon & Schuster were not Mary's agent (a key term of art in legalese).
    Sounds like quite the loophole to exploit. They have a month to sort this out -- Amazon lists the book on sale July 28.

“I mean, I’d have no problem. Actually, I had a mask on, I sort of liked the way I looked,” Trump claimed, adding that he thought he looked like the “Lone Ranger.” https://t.co/joU7U9EJ6b
    Oh /facepalm.

Listen his intentions is somewhat good here, of course it took til now when coronavirus is whooping our ass. Yes, as I stated earlier Trump looked very fine in his mask.

Yet, this idiot tries to compare two different masks. If not on my phone I could do the compare contrast.

A great one and someone posted the pick of the maga hat idiot on the plan using a mask to cover his eyes not his mouth.

https://twitter.com/EatShitDJT/statu...634668032?s=19
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad to see they are moving quickly. Should hit the State Supreme Court and be finished there. SCOTUS would rather shine their own shoes than address this ridiculous issue.
    That's what it just did. The NY Court of Appeals is the highest state court in NY. Any appeals from there would go up to SCOTUS.

What NY calls their "Supreme Court" is actually a superior court and stands below the Court of Appeals.

Up here, some of our provinces/territories (NS, PEI, NL, YT, NWT, and most noticeably, BC) use the same naming pattern (as opposed to the rest of the provinces that call it theirs the "superior court" or "court of queen's bench"), causing no end of confusion among news watchers when significant rulings come from those provinces, like in Carter v Canada.
    Last edited by Masark; 2020-07-02 at 05:59 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Oh /facepalm.

Listen his intentions is somewhat good here, of course it took til now when coronavirus is whooping our ass. Yes, as I stated earlier Trump looked very fine in his mask.

Yet, this idiot tries to compare two different masks. If not on my phone I could do the compare contrast.

A great one and someone posted the pick of the maga hat idiot on the plan using a mask to cover his eyes not his mouth.

https://twitter.com/EatShitDJT/statu...634668032?s=19
    Doesn't take much to see Trump walking around with a cloth mask over his eyes like a dementia ridden piece of lard being dragged around by his nurse wife Melania.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Sounds like quite the loophole to exploit. They have a month to sort this out -- Amazon lists the book on sale July 28.
    Indeed. The judge's ruling seems to be a bit reaching...and I know I'm reading this into it, but a bit of sarcasm - could be my echo chamber catching up with me. Although, as you pointed out before, this seems to have Bolton out the door already - 75,000 copies already printed and shipped.

Are we stopping at My Cousin Vinny's house?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    That's what it just did. The NY Court of Appeals is the highest state court in NY. Any appeals from there would go up to SCOTUS.

What NY calls their "Supreme Court" is actually a superior court and stands below the Court of Appeals.

Up here, some of our provinces/territories (NS, PEI, NL, YT, NWT, and most noticeably, BC) use the same naming pattern (as opposed to the rest of the provinces that call it theirs the "superior court" or "court of queen's bench"), causing no end of confusion among news watchers when significant rulings come from those provinces, like in Carter v Canada.
    I can never keep the state court structures correct in my head - thanks for the clarification. My brain is too crammed full of movie quotes and M*A*S*H trivia.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can never keep the state court structures correct in my head - thanks for the clarification. My brain is too crammed full of movie quotes and M*A*S*H trivia.
    I've got "NY's supreme court is an ordinary trial court" well embedded in my head from watching too much Law & Order.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I've got "NY's supreme court is an ordinary trial court" well embedded in my head from watching too much Law & Order.
    Well hell, I guess there was a little room. That's a nice one, too. I did my legal learnin' on the west coast and we never really encountered a lot of east coast state rulings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed. The judge's ruling seems to be a bit reaching...and I know I'm reading this into it, but a bit of sarcasm - could be my echo chamber catching up with me. Although, as you pointed out before, this seems to have Bolton out the door already - 75,000 copies already printed and shipped.

Are we stopping at My Cousin Vinny's house?.
    Everything that guy said is bullshit.

Will Mary be a hostile witness?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    It's kind of a great analogy. The Death Star was blown up by one guy, in a small Rebel Alliance fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    That makes sense. I've seen a few outliers of people who tested positive back in march/april getting tested positive the last few weeks thinking they got re-infected when reality is more like they got falsely tested negative and still have it months later.
    I've been thinking a bit about that. We know the virus hangs around for a long fucking time on surfaces, particularly indoors and out of the sun. So if someone is quarantined at home they're pretty much papering the inside of their place with it, meaning they can probably still test positive even when they're no longer infected purely because they're immersed in it--or they can test negative but then later test positive again because a week or so later they touched a surface that was still swimming with it in their home.

I got my degree in physics, not epidemiology, so maybe I've got it all wrong, though. I'll bow to superior knowledge on the subject.

But hey, let me post some more bad news...

U.S. COVID-19 death toll may be 28 percent higher than officially thought

EDIT: Also, incoming bullshit Jobs Report unearned boasting.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-07-02 at 02:06 PM.