10+ Year Old Account
    I have to say, seeing Ammon Bundy come out against police overreach is a level of ideological consistency I didn't believe existed on the right anymore but...

Yeehaw, I guess. Takes all kinds to make a revolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Are cases stabling or are numbers getting fudged?
    I honestly want to say the first. I would like to say Florida tried to suppress the numbers for a while, failed miserably and gave up.

But I don't think I can. Even now, we're all seeing the Flu Klux Klan saying "lol derp Cain died of cancer". It would not be too difficult to slide a few deaths into things like pneumonia if you, for example, wanted schools to open -- which is as counterintuitively suicidal as it sounds.

So instead, I'll say "the number are mostly correct" and what we're seeing is bad enough. Are the real cases and deaths higher? Maybe a few percent, but I don't think the 20% or so increase needed to say total cases are going up.

Alternatively, you could say "the numbers were always fudged, so the fudged numbers going down mean the real ones are too".

But I'm not the expert. I'll cede the floor to someone who has better evidence than one CDC page and weeks of reports with no proof of false reporting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I have to say, seeing Ammon Bundy come out against police overreach is a level of ideological consistency I didn't believe existed on the right anymore
    It's all fun and games until one of your friends gets shot and killed and the video of him bleeding out in the snow goes viral and the death is called 100% justified.

- - - Updated - - -

TheHill (and likely others) posts an interesting unrelated three headline mix:

1) The CDC director says it wasn't his call to re-route hospital data. Said so under oath.

2) Fuck Florida's acting governor DeSantis says Fuck Florida will be ready to have elections in November. Claimed he didn't see Trump's tweet (eyeroll) and that Fuck Florida will have the lethal outbreak under control by November, just you wait and see.

3) Twitter bans David Duke for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I have to say, seeing Ammon Bundy come out against police overreach is a level of ideological consistency I didn't believe existed on the right anymore but...

Yeehaw, I guess. Takes all kinds to make a revolution.
    Believe it or not, it's the nutters that are often the most consistent in their nuttery.

In unrelated news, has anyone seen that Maxwell stuff yet? Apparently Dershowitz was raping little girls as well? So we have a pedophile rapist defending another pedophile rapist, who was also on the impeachment defense team for a President of the United States of America who has bragged about peeping into the dressing rooms of under-age girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Believe it or not, it's the nutters that are often the most consistent in their nuttery.

In unrelated news, has anyone seen that Maxwell stuff yet? Apparently Dershowitz was raping little girls as well? So we have a pedophile rapist defending another pedophile rapist, who was also on the impeachment defense team for a President of the United States of America who has bragged about peeping into the dressing rooms of under-age girls.
    He certainly looks and acts guilty as hell, but apparently:
    In 2016, former attorneys for Giuffre previously said it was a “mistake” to have accused Dershowitz of sexual misconduct.
    so I dunno. Maybe her lawyers were fucking her over?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I honestly want to say the first. I would like to say Florida tried to suppress the numbers for a while, failed miserably and gave up.

But I don't think I can. Even now, we're all seeing the Flu Klux Klan saying "lol derp Cain died of cancer". It would not be too difficult to slide a few deaths into things like pneumonia if you, for example, wanted schools to open -- which is as counterintuitively suicidal as it sounds.

So instead, I'll say "the number are mostly correct" and what we're seeing is bad enough. Are the real cases and deaths higher? Maybe a few percent, but I don't think the 20% or so increase needed to say total cases are going up.

Alternatively, you could say "the numbers were always fudged, so the fudged numbers going down mean the real ones are too".

But I'm not the expert. I'll cede the floor to someone who has better evidence than one CDC page and weeks of reports with no proof of false reporting.
    The data that everyone looks at never really came from the CDC anyway. The CDC's data lagged behind by weeks, but that's because they got the full data on a death (including death certificate data, etc.) and tabulated their own total. The data that we actually look at, though, comes to us courtesy of the states (and more often the individual counties in those states) reporting their own abstract totals, without personal information.

There's not a lot they can do to fudge case count numbers, regardless. So those should be accurate. Death data can be obfuscated, but it would have to be done at the county ME office level. So unless a state is so far gone (...Fuck Florida...) as to issue orders to its ME offices to discount certain deaths that should be attributed to COVID, then those numbers should be somewhat accurate, too. That being said, there are plenty of cases where undercounting occurs simply because the person died without being tested, died in their own home, etc. That type of underreporting is likely to be fairly consistent throughout, however.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-trump-floated

China delaying Hong Kong election: Bad.

Trump threatening to illegally delay the US election: Good!

Fuck these people so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-trump-floated

China delaying Hong Kong election: Bad.

Trump threatening to illegally delay the US election: Good!

Fuck these people so much.
    And then you get the people who think both of these are bad but still somehow think Bolivia delaying it(again) is a good thing.

Is it simple coincidence that numbers start to stabilise after the WH took over data collection?
    Considering its Trump I'm inclined to go with it not being a coincidence...
    When it comes to Florida (and Nebraska, I think--but the population density there is so low I don't think they'll ever be in comparable danger), we'll never know. However as I've mentioned before, the numbers I'm posting here don't come from Trump's administration, they come direct from the states and counties themselves. Hospitals may have been ordered to send data elsewhere instead of somewhere reliable, but they have also been sending it daily to the local government which posts it on their local websites/dashboards without any orange fingers having a go at it.

What we've been seeing since the 15th seems to still be accurate, or at least as accurate as it's ever been. There were no sudden suspicious falls in cases/deaths. It really does seem as if the initial outbreak has at least plateaued--but we're still seeing cases increase in neighboring states as expected.

Florida set another record today. 256 deaths reported. It's almost as if EVERYONE said this was going to happen...
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-07-31 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    When it comes to Florida (and Nebraska, I think--but the population density there is so low I don't think they'll ever be in comparable danger), we'll never know. However as I've mentioned before, the numbers I'm posting here don't come from Trump's administration, they come direct from the states and counties themselves. Hospitals may have been ordered to send data elsewhere instead of somewhere reliable, but they have also been sending it daily to the local government which posts it on their local websites/dashboards without any orange fingers having a go at it.

What we've been seeing since the 15th seems to still be accurate, or at least as accurate as it's ever been. There were no sudden suspicious falls in cases/deaths. It really does seem as if the initial outbreak has at least plateaued--but we're still seeing cases increase in neighboring states as expected.

Florida set another record today. 256 deaths reported. It's almost as if EVERYONE said this was going to happen...
    I would not be shocked at it plateauing even without govt intervention people watch the news and if it does not seem safe they start acting accordingly and locking down their own activities enough that it starts to have an impact. Probably they go the way of new york and sit at the plateau for a few weeks to a month and then start coming back down.

Is it simple coincidence that numbers start to stabilise after the WH took over data collection?
    Considering its Trump I'm inclined to go with it not being a coincidence...
    No doubt. Trump and the White House had the numbers come directly to them. I can't believe @Breccia believes these numbers are legit.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    No doubt. Trump and the White House had the numbers come directly to them. I can't believe @Breccia believes these numbers are legit.
    See above. The numbers we're talking about here aren't coming from Trump's admin. They are coming from the hospitals via state/county reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Reminder McConnell has been sitting on the Dem plan for 2 fucking months and is now scrambling to get one done.
    Why does this sound so familiar...OH RIGHT, it's exactly like how the GOP spent 8+ years whinging and moaning and pathetically trying to pass "Repeal and Replace" to get rid of the ACA, and when they finally had their chance they had spent the prior 8+ years doing nothing and put together an awful plan that they couldn't even pass (thanks McCain).

Also, not terribly unlike the Trump/GOP tax cut that was so rushed you had barely legible notes and edits in the margin written by multiple different people, passed before anyone even had the time to read it.

The Republican party is a fucking threat to this country. They are incapable of serious or honest governance.

He was crowdsourcing ideas from his rich buddies on Facebook - https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...acebook-127941

Great plan. Bigly.
    Did they actually burn the pandemic playbook a former administration left on the resolute desk? Just take a look into that instead of asking fucking facebook.

Louie Gohmert says he is taking hydroxychloroquine to help with his COVID. I wonder if he is being treated by Dr. Stella Immanuel.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Did they actually burn the pandemic playbook a former administration left on the resolute desk? Just take a look into that instead of asking fucking facebook.
    No, but it came from Obama and everything related to Obama is bad and can't be used so that he can take any credit away from Trump.

More realistically, given the reporting that almost every staffer that was included in the practice scenario on responding to a pandemic that the Obama team gave them as the administration was coming in had either been fired or resigned by that point, and the administration is an utter shitshow, they more likely forgot that it existed until media and former Obama officials reminded the general public.

That's why we saw the "Our plan is bigger than their plan" -

"Some have erroneously suggested that the Trump administration threw out the pandemic response playbook left by the Obama-Biden administration," McEnany said, holding up a packet of papers. "What the critics failed to note, however, is that this thin packet of paper was replaced by two detailed, robust pandemic response reports commissioned by the Trump administration."
    They had a girthier plan, and size matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    Louie Gohmert says he is taking hydroxychloroquine to help with his COVID. I wonder if he is being treated by Dr. Stella Immanuel.
    He would say he's taking it whether or not he's actually taking it because he's a Trump sycophant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    It'd sure be a shame if those he suffered from those dangerous side effects of a drug that's still not been proven to have any benefit in fighting the virus. At least he's probably safe from impotence, I doubt he's having sex with anything, even demons. Demons have standards too, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    He would say he's taking it whether or not he's actually taking it because he's a Trump sycophant.
    Yunno, I sorta wish that they had a camera on him 24 hours and really watch him take it. Again, this is Gohmert, the dumbest MFer I have ever seen in Congress, so he might be taking it or he is just running the con game cause screw irl people if he can do the con.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Census Door Knocking Cut A Month Short Amid Pressure To Finish Count

Basically, this.

The Census Bureau is cutting short critical door-knocking efforts for the 2020 census amid growing concerns among Democrats in Congress that the White House is pressuring the bureau to wrap up counting soon for political gain, NPR has learned.

Attempts by the bureau's workers to conduct in-person interviews for the census will end on Sept. 30 — not Oct. 31, the end date it indicated back in April would be necessary in order to count every person living in the U.S. given major setbacks from the coronavirus pandemic. Three Census Bureau employees, who were informed of the plans during separate internal meetings Thursday, confirmed the new end date with NPR. All of the employees spoke on the condition of anonymity out of fear of losing their jobs.

However, this move may actually backfire on the GOP. Currently, large Democratic States have much higher response rate than large GOP states. So cutting the in-person interview period short will have a detrimental effect on GOP states funding and representation.

https://www.2020census.gov/en/response-rates.html

Current National Response rate: 62.8%

CA - 64% and the state is actively campaigning to get more household to complete the Census. The state is confident it can surpass 70% response rate.

OR - 65.1%

WA - 68.1%

MA - 64.8%

NY - 58.4 (Yeah. They need to do much better)

TX - 57.7% (ouch)
    Note: The State of Texas has not spent a single dime on Census awareness education or campaign.

FL - 59.8%

AL - 60.5%

GA - 58.6%

MS - 57.7%

TN - 62.1%

ND - 62.2%

OK - 52.4%

AK - 57.5%

To make a long story short, the vast majority of the states with response rates below the nation’s rate are GOP states.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I never wish death on anyone, but if he passed in the next 2 weeks after claiming he was on HCQ it’s be pretty interesting to see how people react.
    Easy, they will claim that the deep state totally swapped out his medication.

Truth and reality doesn't apply to Republicans...
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2020-07-31 at 05:37 PM.