1. #53821
    I sure picked an amazing week to come back from vacation from a place with little to no cell service..

    It was great pretending this asshole wasn't our President.

  2. #53822
    The Lightbringer Cerilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,155
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    I sure picked an amazing week to come back from vacation from a place with little to no cell service..

    It was great pretending this asshole wasn't our President.
    If i were you, I'd go right back.

  3. #53823
    I am Murloc! Thekri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Posts
    5,606
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    I sure picked an amazing week to come back from vacation from a place with little to no cell service..

    It was great pretending this asshole wasn't our President.
    It has been terrible for a long time now, we are just biased towards the most recent events.

    Hey, remember when Trump shut down the government for 35 days for absolutely no damn reason? And accomplished absolutely nothing? It feels like too many people forgot that.

    Remember when Trump through Toilet Paper rolls at Puerto Ricans and feuded with the Mayor of San Juan, while over 3,000 Americans died? Feel like people forgot about that too.

    Remember when Trump started a fight with a grieving military widow over a condolence call? Then called her a liar and a bunch of nasty names? People don't seem to remember that either.

    One of the worst parts of the American political system is that elections tend to be based on what the person did in the last couple months. The first 3 years of a Presidency are basically irrelevant to a reelection campaign, because people forget everything. If Trump loses, it will be because of things he does over the next 3 months, not anything he has done so far. If Trump magically starts being responsible and acts kind of decent, he will get reelected, because people won't remember him being horrible right now.
    "We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine." DJT- Jan 22, 2020
    "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." DJT- Feb 26, 2020
    “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” DJT- Feb 27, 2020

  4. #53824
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    27,052
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    DO NOT WATCH TRUMP'S AXIOS INTERVIEW!
    While I will take advice when it's offered in good faith, and maybe it's the lack of sleep because hurricane, but

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    This idiot tried to say it was deaths per cases!
    I am actually going to try to defend this. Anything less would be hypocrisy.

    If two countries each had 1,000 cases, and Country A had 1 death and Country B had 10, Country B would be much worse.

    If Country A had 1,000 cases and 1 death, and Country B had 100 cases and 1 death, Country B should still be much worse.

    JH even tracks this stat, calling it mortality ratio. It's a valid stat to have, and the US is doing better than many but not quite as good as health-care powerhouses like Chile, Malawi and Honduras.

    HOWEVER.

    Trump is still cherry picking in an attempt to defend his actions, which is fat fucking stupid because in the same interview he said it was the governors' job. The US is doing poorly in all metrics except mortality ratio and even in that stat it's not that impressive, just not as morbidly obese as the other stats.

  5. #53825
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    While I will take advice when it's offered in good faith, and maybe it's the lack of sleep because hurricane, but



    I am actually going to try to defend this. Anything less would be hypocrisy.

    If two countries each had 1,000 cases, and Country A had 1 death and Country B had 10, Country B would be much worse.

    If Country A had 1,000 cases and 1 death, and Country B had 100 cases and 1 death, Country B should still be much worse.

    JH even tracks this stat, calling it mortality ratio. It's a valid stat to have, and the US is doing better than many but not quite as good as health-care powerhouses like Chile, Malawi and Honduras.

    HOWEVER.

    Trump is still cherry picking in an attempt to defend his actions, which is fat fucking stupid because in the same interview he said it was the governors' job. The US is doing poorly in all metrics except mortality ratio and even in that stat it's not that impressive, just not as morbidly obese as the other stats.
    My big issue is him claiming deaths were going down in Florida, and the US, when they were clearly going up. He then says the report he saw said that, but whether he comprehends any info he receives is debatable.

  6. #53826
    Legendary! Milchshake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Giving Cops Tummy Aches
    Posts
    6,343
    As bad as the interview is. Remember, it will not damage his image in the eye's of his supporters.

    Once they get their marching orders and copypastas from Fox this morning. They'll be hubcapping and connaling the forums with the usual logic pretzels of denialism. Then claiming that the interviewer and the liberals are the real monsters.
    Welcome to GEN-OT, have a seat, we'll introduce you to the 23-year-old who will lecture you about how Democrats didn't try hard enough to improve the ACA, and once that's all set up you'll be assigned a socialist who supported Ron Paul up to 2015 to harass you forever.
    "Once bigotry or self-loathing permeate a given community, it is only a matter of time before deep metaphysical significance is assigned to the shape of human skulls."
    -Lady Foppington

  7. #53827
    I am honestly shocked the orange idiot hasn't start saying testing causes the virus, he is so close it's scary.

  8. #53828
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    It has been terrible for a long time now, we are just biased towards the most recent events.

    Hey, remember when Trump shut down the government for 35 days for absolutely no damn reason? And accomplished absolutely nothing? It feels like too many people forgot that.

    Remember when Trump through Toilet Paper rolls at Puerto Ricans and feuded with the Mayor of San Juan, while over 3,000 Americans died? Feel like people forgot about that too.

    Remember when Trump started a fight with a grieving military widow over a condolence call? Then called her a liar and a bunch of nasty names? People don't seem to remember that either.

    One of the worst parts of the American political system is that elections tend to be based on what the person did in the last couple months. The first 3 years of a Presidency are basically irrelevant to a reelection campaign, because people forget everything. If Trump loses, it will be because of things he does over the next 3 months, not anything he has done so far. If Trump magically starts being responsible and acts kind of decent, he will get reelected, because people won't remember him being horrible right now.
    Oh definitely... It was more, I don't have access to the news so I can pretend like its just a quiet week where we don't have the most vile person ever to become president as president.

  9. #53829
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    While I will take advice when it's offered in good faith, and maybe it's the lack of sleep because hurricane, but



    I am actually going to try to defend this. Anything less would be hypocrisy.

    If two countries each had 1,000 cases, and Country A had 1 death and Country B had 10, Country B would be much worse.

    If Country A had 1,000 cases and 1 death, and Country B had 100 cases and 1 death, Country B should still be much worse.

    JH even tracks this stat, calling it mortality ratio. It's a valid stat to have, and the US is doing better than many but not quite as good as health-care powerhouses like Chile, Malawi and Honduras.

    HOWEVER.

    Trump is still cherry picking in an attempt to defend his actions, which is fat fucking stupid because in the same interview he said it was the governors' job. The US is doing poorly in all metrics except mortality ratio and even in that stat it's not that impressive, just not as morbidly obese as the other stats.
    He is picking cases tho. Which means the more cases the more it dilutes the death total. Since we have a Shit Ton of cases it dilutes the death total. Now have all deaths been reported as Covid-19 related? Also yes to give us some credit as much as our health care is getting crushed we might be doing a better job. Yet, to be fair again we are comparing apples to apples with other countries with "industrialized" healthcare. Wait, are we?

    Oh and on top of that. This idiot has been saying this for months were his logic is "Stop testing and you will have less cases". I mean I still can't believe he says this every time. Trump believes this is a solid argument.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

    -Isaac Asimov

  10. #53830
    I...don't think I've ever heard any President mispronounce "Yosemite". I mean, technically I still haven't, but still. Fuck's sake.

  11. #53831
    How are his advisors handling an interview like that? Are they telling 'now that went well mr president, best, best, bestiest interview eva'? Or are they drawing straws and then run and hide from the poor soul with the short straw, who has to tell him?

  12. #53832
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This is just gross. And bullshit.

    I dare not even look at the Axios interview. One can only consume so much bullshit in one day, and that interview would exceed my daily quota.

    I did see this short, damning clip, though.
    “They are dying. That’s true. And it is what it is.”

    Tell me again how much Trump cares about the people
    That would make a great Biden campaign ad mashed up after his quote where he talks about how the 15 cases are going down to 0 in a couple days and patting himself on the back about what a great job he's done.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

    "I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

  13. #53833
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    27,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferly View Post
    How are his advisors handling an interview like that?
    This could be confirmation bias, but my impression is...they know the damage is done. "Trump gave an interview and looked like an intentionally ill-informed, incompetent idiot" has happened so many times, they don't care about one more.

    Basically, the idea is "Trump's idiocy is refreshing its duration, but it doesn't stack".

    And their only other alternative is to say "Mr. Trump, you can't give interviews because XXX". Trump wants to be on camera. Trump wants a crowd. Trump doesn't like being told what to do. So they feel they have two choices: allow Trump to give continuing evidence of how unprepared he is/was/will be for the most important job on the planet...or, get fired.

  14. #53834
    *checks why Yo Semite is trending*
    Can someone get this man a tutor?

  15. #53835
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferly View Post
    How are his advisors handling an interview like that? Are they telling 'now that went well mr president, best, best, bestiest interview eva'? Or are they drawing straws and then run and hide from the poor soul with the short straw, who has to tell him?
    To me the question is, why do they set up interviews in the first place?

    He can’t even benefit from Fox News interviews with soft ball questions like “what are your priorities for your second term”?

    So what do his handlers expect?

    Trump hates the press, I doubt it’s him who wants to do these interviews.

  16. #53836
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I am actually going to try to defend this. Anything less would be hypocrisy.

    If two countries each had 1,000 cases, and Country A had 1 death and Country B had 10, Country B would be much worse.

    If Country A had 1,000 cases and 1 death, and Country B had 100 cases and 1 death, Country B should still be much worse.
    That's fair to a point, but also ignores context. If Country A has 315k cases and 17.6k deaths (5.5% mortality), and Country B has 4.7 million cases and 156k deaths (3.3% mortality), initially Country B looks a lot better. But then if you factor in that country A has 81.8 million population (2151 deaths per 100k population) and country B has 328 million population (4753 deaths per 100k), all of a sudden living in Iran is starting to look pretty attractive.

    Also when checking for these numbers I noticed that somehow the UK has reported 300k cases and 50k deaths... what the fuck? Are they massively underreporting cases or something ?

  17. #53837
    Quote Originally Posted by Leobald View Post
    To me the question is, why do they set up interviews in the first place?

    He can’t even benefit from Fox News interviews with soft ball questions like “what are your priorities for your second term”?

    So what do his handlers expect?

    Trump hates the press, I doubt it’s him who wants to do these interviews.
    Trump hates negative press coverage, but he loves being the center of attention.

  18. #53838
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferly View Post
    How are his advisors handling an interview like that? Are they telling 'now that went well mr president, best, best, bestiest interview eva'? Or are they drawing straws and then run and hide from the poor soul with the short straw, who has to tell him?
    I think it doesn't really matter in the end. His supporters will see this interview as a win for him and everyone else is already firmly in the camp that he's a moron.

  19. #53839
    Legendary! Thepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Puerto Montt, Chile
    Posts
    6,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    That's fair to a point, but also ignores context. If Country A has 315k cases and 17.6k deaths (5.5% mortality), and Country B has 4.7 million cases and 156k deaths (3.3% mortality), initially Country B looks a lot better. But then if you factor in that country A has 81.8 million population (2151 deaths per 100k population) and country B has 328 million population (4753 deaths per 100k), all of a sudden living in Iran is starting to look pretty attractive.

    Also when checking for these numbers I noticed that somehow the UK has reported 300k cases and 50k deaths... what the fuck? Are they massively underreporting cases or something ?
    Probably. There seems to be a massive under-reporting of cases in Europe and Latin America (much more so than in the US), at the very least for the first 3 months of the pandemic.
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-08-04 at 04:33 PM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker



  20. #53840
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    28,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I can't watch it. His voice and mannerisms irritate me too much. I might be able to stomach it in written form. A tldr version.
    Same - I can't listen to him speak for more than about a minute. Lying or just drifting off verbally as random thoughts go directly from his conscious to his mouth without a thought or care in the world. I called him by his official title the other day, purely by accident, and threw up a little in my mouth.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This is just gross. And bullshit.

    I dare not even look at the Axios interview. One can only consume so much bullshit in one day, and that interview would exceed my daily quota.

    I did see this short, damning clip, though.
    “They are dying. That’s true. And it is what it is.”

    Tell me again how much Trump cares about the people
    Interesting segue here...we can now officially answer the challenge when Trumpkins lie and claim that CNN is just as bad as Fox. That ship has now officially, and forever, sailed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •