56,023 new cases, which is about 1.5k more than last Saturday, however:

The Wisconsin Electronic Disease Surveillance System (WEDSS) will be undergoing routine maintenance beginning on Friday, October 16, 2020, through Sunday, October 18, 2020. DHS will not be updating COVID-19 visualizations during this time. For a more accurate representation of COVID-19 in Wisconsin during this upgrade, we recommend looking at the 7-day rolling averages.
    This is a shitty time for their system to be undergoing "routine maintenance" for 3 days. I'm going to make a conservative estimate based off the past week and say that this means at least 3k new cases didn't get reported today from Wisconsin, which means the total compared to last Saturday is more likely around 4.5k more.

Texas: 4,070 new cases; 63 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Illinois: 3,629 new cases; 27 deaths
    Tennessee: 2,646 new cases; 32 deaths
    Indiana: 2,482 new cases (new record); 31 deaths
    Missouri: 2,440 new cases; 36 deaths
    Ohio: 2,212 new cases (new record); 13 deaths
    North Carolina: 2,102 new cases; 19 deaths
    California: 2,075 new cases; 38 deaths
    Michigan: 1,791 new cases; 23 deaths
    New York: 1,789 new cases; 15 deaths
    Minnesota: 1,694 new cases; 5 deaths
    Georgia: 1,534 new cases; 51 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 1,485 new cases; 10 deaths
    Utah: 1,340 new cases; 3 deaths
    Kentucky: 1,291 new cases; 12 deaths
    Alabama: 1,288 new cases; 2 deaths
    Oklahoma: 1,195 new cases; 14 deaths
    Colorado: 1,139 new cases; 4 deaths
    Virginia: 1,114 new cases; 14 deaths

For some reason Michigan's numbers weren't added to worldometers on time so I had to go digging myself (yes I included it in the total above). I'm actually disappointed but not surprised that there were a few records set today even though it's typically on the low-end of accurate reporting days. As noted in the preface, even without Wisconsin's total being added the numbers are still increasing across most of the US. We probably shouldn't expect anything different until the states affected (i.e. most of the US) announce measures to curb the accelerated spread. Tomorrow and Monday will be low numbers relative to the highs we've seen this week but I'm still betting they'll be higher than those for the previous Sunday/Monday. This is the first time Florida has admitted to having more than 4k since mid-August. Good luck, you few sane bastards in Florida.

661 deaths is slightly down from last Saturday, putting the total at 224,282. Florida, as usual, tops the list.

Related news:

COVID-19 is pushing college students to drop out.--More side-effects of COVID-19 and a government that doesn't care enough about education.
    McConnell sets up votes on narrow coronavirus relief proposal--Votes on bills that won't provide enough relief to the people that need it but is just enough so the GOP can say "we did something!" to voters before the election.
    Fauci warns that Covid-19 infection rates are too high heading into winter--Many of us have been saying this already; if we're starting the season at 40-50k+ daily new cases it's going to be a nightmare once cold weather sets in.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    How many times has Trump used someone's music without permission?

Add one more.

I object to the President using my song, ‘Fortunate Son’ in any way for his campaign. He is using my words and my voice to portray a message that I do not endorse.

Therefore, I am issuing a ‘cease and desist’ order. I wrote this song because, as a veteran, I was disgusted that some people were allowed to be excluded from serving our country because they had access to political and financial privilege. I also wrote about wealthy people not paying their fair share of taxes.

Mr. Trump is a prime example of both of these issues. The fact that Mr. Trump also fans the flames of hatred, racism and fear while rewriting recent history, is even more reason to be troubled by his use of my song
    -- Fogerty

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    How many times has Trump used someone's music without permission?

Add one more.

-- Fogerty
    Well to be fair that song applies very, VERY well to Trump. Just... not in the way Trump thinks:

"Some folks are born, silver spoon in hand. Lord, don't they help themselves, y'all... But when the taxman comes to the door. Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale,"

If Trump wasn't so monumentally stupid I'd think he was almost doing it to be sarcastic. Is he going to try using "Keep on rockin' in the free world" next?

Oh, wait... he did that.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-10-18 at 02:01 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the thread on the topic was closed, the topic is not over.

Trump rally once again features chant of "lock her up" about, yes, Gov. Whitmer this time.

"But at least he--"

Some people in the audience then started chanting, “lock her up!”

“Lock ‘em all up,” Trump responded, after which the chants from the crowd continued.
    Right, time for another 24-hour challenge.

So let's see, @Orlong @Hammerfest @GreenJesus @Ghostpanther @Thwart @lockedout and any other Trump supporters, please list the crime with which Gov. Whitmer is charged. Or under investigation, that works too. Because otherwise, if there is no crime, Trump is directly encouraging the kidnappers, by saying "lock her up" when there is no crime. Because that sounds like kidnapping.

So that's the challenge:
    1) Find the specific charge or investigation that Trump was talking about.
    2) Admit there is no charge, and also, decry Trump for supporting a crime.

You'll notice there is no other oiption, because if someone here were to support a crime, that would get them infracted. So I won't allow that as an option. Instead, I will remind you that, if 24 hours pass and you don't respond, not only do you admit cowardice but I get to choose for you. And you know what I'll pick.

You don't support crime, do you, Trump supporters? You'd better answer this one.

Who is them all? His political opponents in general? Democrats? The "Left"? Antifa?

Like what the fuck I can't even with this shit anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I'm actually disappointed but not surprised that there were a few records set today even though it's typically on the low-end of accurate reporting days.
    Can’t speak for Ohio, but I believe that record for Indiana is technically Friday’s record, since they report their numbers in a funky way.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Can’t speak for Ohio, but I believe that record for Indiana is technically Friday’s record
    They all are. Saturday's reports are Friday's numbers. Friday's reports are Thursday's numbers, etc. It's why the lowest-reported days are Sundays and Mondays--because they reflect the totals from the Saturday/Sunday weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    since they report their numbers in a funky way.
    Check out Kansas (specifically the graph of Daily New Cases)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Who is them all? His political opponents in general? Democrats? The "Left"? Antifa?

Like what the fuck I can't even with this shit anymore.
    It's the common tactic of someone with no actual platform... you simply fill in the blanks! In this specific case, of who you want Trump to lock up!

Hillary? Biden? Pelosi? The moderator from the trump town hall debate? Your liberal neighbor with the Biden yard sign? That cute barista at starbucks that thinks you're a creep? Doesn't matter, lock 'em all up!

- - - Updated - - -

Now now now, to be fair...

I don't think Trump or Ghouliani believe this stuff, nor do I think they care what precisely they're claiming. They're desperately trying to sling mud to get something to stick to Biden, as all of their attempts thus far have failed miserably.

I almost believe Trump when he says he doesn't know who QAnon are. He likely doesn't know what they stand for; he sees them post some smear headline attacking Biden or the liberals, so he retweets it.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Now now now, to be fair...

I don't think Trump or Ghouliani believe this stuff, nor do I think they care what precisely they're claiming. They're desperately trying to sling mud to get something to stick to Biden, as all of their attempts thus far have failed miserably.

I almost believe Trump when he says he doesn't know who QAnon are. He likely doesn't know what they stand for; he sees them post some smear headline attacking Biden or the liberals, so he retweets it.
    That all still makes them exploitable. If they believe it themselves is not really relevant tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Yeah...considering the rates are going up by every source that's checking, it's going to be hard to argue this.

Note that the NYTimes uses different numbers then Benggaul but everyone's seeing the same trend: cases are increasing, deaths are flat. We're seeing the edge of how many more cases we can take, before hospitals clog and people start dying faster. Not that 900 deaths/day is something to cheer about, but I'm not looking forward to numbers being higher, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    If Biden wins (and yes, I don't want to jinx it, but still), I have been thinking a lot about whether he should pardon Trump.
    Trump's biggest problems might not be federal crimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Biden wins (and yes, I don't want to jinx it, but still), I have been thinking a lot about whether he should pardon Trump. I know he's pledged not to, and there's some part of me that wants to see that dickhead get a comeuppance, but here's my predominant thought: Trump is poison. His presence makes everything worse. He makes people angry, he promotes dumb arguments that stupid people listen to, he's a liar, etc. I don't want the next two years to be dominated by investigations of Trump. I want him to disappear. Yes he still has his business "empire" but I think that if left alone, it'll collapse of its own accord. Yes, he'll continue ripping off people stupid enough to believe in him (which has been his main source of income since he went broke in the 90s), but we just need him gone. Putting him on trial gives him a platform and keeps him in the news, and that's the last thing we need in 2021.

Yes, Fox News and conservative talk radio will still have him on the air, but conservative talk radio has been poisonous for a long time and rarely played a prominent role before 2016. New republican candidates will come to the forefront and they won't want unpredictable Trump upstaging them, so in my best case scenario, he'll fade away.

Meanwhile, if there's no pardon, he's going to keep popping up constantly, and he'll claim witch hunt and use his platform to sow more mayhem. It'll go on for years. Maybe they get in him jail in 3 years, but seriously, who wants 3 more years of Trump stories? I'd rather we just say, "Well, that was awful, let's never let that happen again" and move on.
    It'll be a lot harder for him to do those things from jail. And all of his rhetoric, no matter how inane and moronic, wont amount to shit in a court of law. He can claim whatever he wants on twitter or on Fox, but that wont have any bearing on his legal troubles. In fact, it could very much hurt him, especially if he says something prejudicial against himself.

And you assuming he's pardoned means he'll shut up? I very much doubt it. He was causing a stink while Obama was president before Trump was even thinking of running. If he's pardoned (which he'll be bandy about as meaning "innocent") I see no reason why he wont just go and do what he wanted to do the entire time... start a self-serving Trump TV platform to rake him in money as he spouts whatever inane conspiracy theories he wants. Him doing so while a free man only makes it that much easier to engender more people and retain legitimacy among his followers. With his ass in jail? He'll lose all credibility with any of the remaining party-line towing republicans, and he wont be able to attract any more by spreading bullshit on network TV.

Trump being brought up on legal charges is not a narrative he can control. Nor is it something that the political sphere will have to give two shits about. The adults can finally retake the reigns, damn whatever nonsense Trump wants to spout.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-10-18 at 05:02 AM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Trump has been breaking the law for decades. When he loses the protection he currently has he'll spend the rest of his life in court and jail. He's going to get hit from many sides both federal and state.

Trump becoming president was not only the worst thing for the country/world, but also the for the future of his family and circle of "friends". They're all about to have a miserable decade followed by years in prison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Trump has been breaking the law for decades. When he loses the protection he currently has he'll spend the rest of his life in court and jail. He's going to get hit from many sides both federal and state.

Trump becoming president was not only the worst thing for the country/world, but also the for the future of his family and circle of "friends". They're all about to have a miserable decade followed by years in prison.
    Trump was right about draining the swamp... It just turns out... he was the swamp!
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    McConnell schedules votes for the "relief bill" with such a low price tag (as cases surge) that it could literally be the difference between Trump's and Pelosi's.

It's likely yet another attempt to say "well we tried" and shrug to waa-waa-waa-WAAAAAAAAA trumpets play. But it's both too little and too late. Pelosi can correctly say "we put up a much more effective bill months ago" and still shame McConnell.

If Biden wins (and yes, I don't want to jinx it, but still), I have been thinking a lot about whether he should pardon Trump. I know he's pledged not to, and there's some part of me that wants to see that dickhead get a comeuppance, but here's my predominant thought: Trump is poison. His presence makes everything worse. He makes people angry, he promotes dumb arguments that stupid people listen to, he's a liar, etc. I don't want the next two years to be dominated by investigations of Trump. I want him to disappear. Yes he still has his business "empire" but I think that if left alone, it'll collapse of its own accord. Yes, he'll continue ripping off people stupid enough to believe in him (which has been his main source of income since he went broke in the 90s), but we just need him gone. Putting him on trial gives him a platform and keeps him in the news, and that's the last thing we need in 2021.
    And in doing so, we further reinforce that if you're in a position of power, you can break whatever laws you want and suffer no consequences. That's the last message we need to send in 2021.

Yes, Fox News and conservative talk radio will still have him on the air, but conservative talk radio has been poisonous for a long time and rarely played a prominent role before 2016. New republican candidates will come to the forefront and they won't want unpredictable Trump upstaging them, so in my best case scenario, he'll fade away.

Meanwhile, if there's no pardon, he's going to keep popping up constantly, and he'll claim witch hunt and use his platform to sow more mayhem. It'll go on for years. Maybe they get in him jail in 3 years, but seriously, who wants 3 more years of Trump stories? I'd rather we just say, "Well, that was awful, let's never let that happen again" and move on.
    No, the Nixon pardon was a mistake that should not be repeated. America needs a strong dose of accountability. If Trump is left out of prison he'll keep up his lying and amplifying of Russian propaganda, anti vax, anti science horseshit conspiracy theories by posting it to his 40M+ twitter followers. The media won't ignore it either, he's still an ex president after all. And even if they tried to, his narcissism would just drive him to crazier statements until they do. And bear in mind, it would be worse than anything you've seen this far. Not only will his mental decline continue, it'll be multiplied by the embarrassing loss he's suffered and the fact there will be no more people around to filter it slightly. Donald Trump is a walking, ticking national security timebomb and it should be contained.

But even beyond the danger he poses, I have to consider the implications of the act of pardoning. What does it tell future generations that read about his crimes and wrongdoing? It tells you these crimes were not that serious. It tells you the law isn't equal for everyone. It tells you "If you're a star they let you do it". That's not the moral lesson we're trying to teach here. The witch has to end up in the cauldron.

Trump has already gotten away with it. He's freaking 75 years old and has spent 35 years living the life of a billionaire, including 4 as President where he literally got to choose 1/3 of the supreme court. Putting him in jail afterwards is a pretty empty gesture. He's won. Pretending that putting him in jail makes any difference is weak.

At minimum it'd take 2 years to get him in jail, and that will keep him in the news more than he would if his enemies made a concerted effort to ignore him. It will also encourage his allies who will continue to engage in whataboutism against every democrat in retaliation.

That said, it'd be fun if they could wring a confession out of him as part of the pardon process.
    Let's not rule out the Russians poisoning him so he keeps his mouth shut about them. One can hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump has already gotten away with it. He's freaking 75 years old and has spent 35 years living the life of a billionaire, including 4 as President where he literally got to choose 1/3 of the supreme court. Putting him in jail afterwards is a pretty empty gesture. He's won. Pretending that putting him in jail makes any difference is weak.
    If a murderer is convicted, do the people they kill return? Does that also mean they got away with it?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi