The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And as always, a quick reminder that the flag raised at Iwo Jima had 48 stars, not 50. Alaska and Hawaii were not states until well after WWII ended.
    I definitely appreciate the reminder...I'm trying to understand why it would pop up here....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    If I ever got into an argument about saying "Happy Holidays" I would just do this

Them: You should say Merry Christmas

Me: What day is it?

Them: December 10th

Me: Is Christmas on December 10th?

Them: No

Me: Then, "Happy Holidays" it is. Come back when it's December 25th
    Or if you really wanna blow their minds, explain to them that Jesus was likely born in April sometime in 4-6 AD . . .
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    So that worsening is already baked in for the next two weeks. No actions taken now can stop it.
    I mean...at this point, I'm just glad we have six months of practice on how to help people survive this thing. The cases/deaths ratio has improved since March.

I'd love it to get better, I really would. 900 deaths a day might be lower than we've seen, but it's still horrifyingly high. Remember the 737 problem? This is four 737 crashes every day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    "Happy Holidays" it is.
    I've always thought "Happy Holidays" was "I don't know who you are so I don't know if you're Christian or Jewish or whatever, but everyone has something around this time and it's less offensive for me to generally wish you well than assume, say, a brown-skinned person is Muslim".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    DC and Puerto Rico at least have state-level populations. It's harder to make the case for the other territories.
    Really interesting history for people interested in how 1889, the GOP was already packing the Senate and the Supreme court.

In 1889 and 1890, Congress added North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Washington, Idaho, and Wyoming—the largest admission of states since the original 13. This addition of 12 new senators and 18 new electors to the Electoral College was a deliberate strategy of late-19th-century Republicans to stay in power after their swing toward Big Business cost them a popular majority. The strategy paid dividends deep into the future; indeed, the admission of so many rural states back then helps to explain GOP control of the Senate today, 130 years later.

Telling me the party that absorbed the Whigs has always been a Tory party??

The admission of Colorado, in 1876, showed the way. In the 1874 midterm elections, Republicans lost control of the House of Representatives for the first time since the Civil War. Just before Democrats took over, Congress struck a tentative agreement to admit two new states, Colorado and New Mexico, both controlled by Republican machines. Colorado had slightly fewer than 40,000 people in 1870, and New Mexico had more than 90,000. In March 1875, Congress let statehood for Colorado go forward before the upcoming election, but the admission of New Mexico stalled. A coalition of Democrats joined with eastern Republicans, who howled, according to an 1876 New York Times article, that New Mexico was inhabited by “ignorant, priest-ridden ‘Greasers’”—a slur for people of Mexican origin—and should not be given “the right to send two Senators to vote equally with those of New-York, Pennsylvania, and other great States of the Union.”

Colorado’s admission was momentous. In the 1876 election, the Republican Rutherford B. Hayes lost the popular vote, but the new state’s three electoral votes kept his candidacy alive long enough for a Republican-dominated temporary electoral commission to award him the presidency in one of the most hotly contested presidential elections in the nation’s history.

A party that uses rural voters to prop up landed-elites...

Is this just Feudalism with extra steps?
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Earlier I posted that Trump accused the Bidens of being an organized crime family, despite there being no evidence of this.

I mentioned Trump was the one under investigation. Forbes went one better.

Quoting the whole thing, because Trump is a hypocrite.

In 1973, the United States Justice Department filed a suit against Trump, his father, and Trump Management, with the government contending that Trump Management refused to rent to particular individuals "because of race and color," which ended when the Trumps entered into a consent decree to settle the litigation in 1975.

In 1991, a federal judge found that Trump, a group of his associates and a union official, were guilty of having "conspired to avoid paying pension and welfare-fund contributions" by hiring nonunion Polish immigrants to demolish a building on East 57th Street to make way for Trump Tower.

In 2013, New York's attorney general filed a suit that alleged Trump defrauded more than 5,000 people of $40 million through Trump University and the following year a judge ruled that Trump was personally liable for operating a for-profit investment school without the required license.

At least 20 women have accused Trump of various forms of sexual assault or unwanted advances dating back to the 1970s, although Trump, who was caught on video boasting, "Grab them by the pussy… I just start kissing them... I don't even wait," has denied all of the allegations.

The president is under investigation by the New York State Attorney General's office following his former attorney, Michael Cohen, testifying before Congress that "Trump's annual financial statements inflated the values of Trump's assets to obtain favorable terms for loans and insurance coverage, while also deflating the value of other assets to reduce real estate taxes." Trump's son Eric Trump was questioned under oath earlier this month as part of New York's investigation into the Trump Organization.

$750,000: In 1998, Trump agreed to pay a $750,000 civil penalty to settle an antitrust lawsuit filed by the Federal Trade Commission, which alleged that two previous 1986 stock purchases by Trump violated the notification procedures required by the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act.

Ten Trump associates have either been charged or convicted of various crimes during the four years the president has been in office. Paul Manafort, a former Trump campaign chairman, was found guilty in a jury trial of tax fraud and bank fraud related to his work as a political consultant in Ukraine and sentenced to 7.5 years in prison. Cohen pled guilty to eight criminal counts, including orchestrating 'hush money' payments to women who had claimed they had sexual encounters with Trump. Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security adviser, pled guilty in 2017 to lying to the FBI about his communications with a Russian ambassador. George Papadopoulos, a former campaign adviser, was sentenced to prison in 2017 after pleading guilty to lying to the FBI about his interactions with Russian officials. Steve Bannon, an advisor and chief strategist, has been charged with defrauding Trump supporters. Political advisor Roger Stone was convicted of lying under oath to lawmakers. Corey Lewandowski, a former campaign manager, was arrested on misdemeanor battery charges in 2016 for grabbing the arm of a reporter. Brad Parscale, another former campaign manager, was arrested last month after his wife told police officers she feared her husband would kill himself and that Parscale had struck her in the past. Rick Gates, a former campaign deputy chairman, pled guilty in 2018 to lying to federal investigators and conspiracy against the U.S.
    Meanwhile Trump has been trying to say Biden owns a too-expensive house (which he sold, 24 years ago) and vague accusations about Ukraine and "corruption". Anyone who follows Trump is left with three choices:

1) Denounce Trump for his many crimes
    2) Refuse to denounce Trump for his many crimes, and also, ignore the accusations without court case, evidence, or merit against Biden
    3) Be a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

Something to (not) look forward to: 8 million people have filed with the CDC's emergency eviction blocking thing that somehow works.

On a typical year, 3.6 million evictions take place. So, well over double.

Its not even close to being something legally enforceable but some reason no one of any consequence will go against it and courts refuse to step up against it cause...well they are still being paid without having to deal with work

Not that i support greedy scummy landlords, but most of them are not like that. What does a owner do when a large % of their tenets don't pay their rent? How can they maintain the property? How can they pay their mortgage/expenses? There is no moratorium on those for owners?

my brothers landlord just cancelled their "included" internet and the language in the lease allows him to. He sent a letter that starting Oct 1st they would be required to pay 25 dollars a month for water which was also included. They suspect heat is next since gas was included. Even though all this is realistically covered in the monthly rent expense.

Basically they are making those who are paying, support the rest.

He also said all repairs were put on hold in June and he has several orders by the state that he is ignoring cause he refuses to do repairs to people whom are basically squatting at this point.

its going to be real ugly real fast once these orders disappear or if they are extended for another year without support.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Its not even close to being something legally enforceable but some reason no one of any consequence will go against it and courts refuse to step up against it cause...well they are still being paid without having to deal with work

Not that i support greedy scummy landlords, but most of them are not like that. What does a owner do when a large % of their tenets don't pay their rent? How can they maintain the property? How can they pay their mortgage/expenses? There is no moratorium on those for owners?

my brothers landlord just cancelled their "included" internet and the language in the lease allows him to. He sent a letter that starting Oct 1st they would be required to pay 25 dollars a month for water which was also included. They suspect heat is next since gas was included. Even though all this is realistically covered in the monthly rent expense.

Basically they are making those who are paying, support the rest.

He also said all repairs were put on hold in June and he has several orders by the state that he is ignoring cause he refuses to do repairs to people whom are basically squatting at this point.

its going to be real ugly real fast once these orders disappear or if they are extended for another year without support.
    but what do we do?

When Mitch refused to give Americans aid as if it was his own money being given away (he probably sees it that way).

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, it's time for Guess the Speaker!

People are tired of COVID. Yup, there’s going to be spikes, there’s going to be no spikes, there’s going to be vaccines. With or without vaccines, people are tired of COVID. I have the biggest rallies I have ever had and we have COVID. People are saying whatever, just leave us alone. They’re tired of it.

People are tired of hearing Fauci and all these idiots, these people, these people that have gotten it wrong. Fauci is a nice guy, he’s been here for 500 years, he called every one of them wrong
    Yep, that's Trump calling his own campaign and someone leaked it to the press.

As a reminder, Trump's rallies have literally killed people. Also "tired of XXX" does not mean "XXX is not a problem anymore". This isn't TV, you don't get to ignore plot lines or change the story. This is real life where real decisions make real changes to real people, including killing them.

"Okay, but Trump will just--"

Fauci, if we listened to him, we’d have 700,000 to 800,000 deaths right now. So, with that, I get along with him. If there’s a reporter on, you have it just the way I said it. I couldn’t care less,
    Nope.

So as per usual Trump supporters including @Thwart @lockedout @Hamemrfest @GreenJesus and let's just say "you know who you are" at this point, explain in detail how Trump's claim, that listening to Fauci would have taken four times as mmany lives, is valid.

And before you say "he wouldn't have closed travel to China" (a) neither did Trump, and (b) most of the virus cases in the US came from Europe, so, no you can't use that, it's factually false.

- - - Updated - - -

Ted Cruz introduces Constitutional Amendment to block SCOTUS packing.

"Obviously I don't have a problem with blocking Democrat nominees," Cruz didn't say but should have, "but I won't let the size of the court be changed while I have the ability to field an Amendment with a negative 25% chance of passing".

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    There's no way to do 3 divisions that are democrat majority. You can do a north/south split, but that's probably not a good long term plan considering how dependent the south is on the north.
    Wouldn't care if one of them became Republican. And once those southern places figured out just how much of a welfare queen they really are, they might address some stuff. Or at least I would hope they would but they would probably do like Florida does and just blame everyone else around them and pretend they aren't a giant welfare queen reliant on other peoples money just to keep their own government running.

- - - Updated - - -

"Obviously I don't have a problem with blocking Democrat nominees," Cruz didn't say but should have, "but I won't let the size of the court be changed while I have the ability to field an Amendment with a negative 25% chance of passing".
    Of course, they screw around and then try and change the rules to prevent others from cleaning up their mess.

Isn't it possible for Congress to pull a play from McConnell's book and just refuse to have it the floor this session?
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump calls Pfizer "Fisa"

And Joe is the demented one?
    Putin khuliyo

I mean, they have worked hard to put 2 fairly young judges on there (one being there, the other being proposed), so that they get to rule for decades, and made it quite weighted in their favour. Wouldn't want those pesky Democrats changing that.
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

Quote Originally Posted by Howel View Post
    I mean, they have worked hard to put 2 fairly young judges on there (one being there, the other being proposed), so that they get to rule for decades, and made it quite weighted in their favour. Wouldn't want those pesky Democrats changing that.
    A good counter to that would be to send it back with an amendment which tacks on the Sanders proposal to it where the Justices are rotated out randomly from the lower courts at random and can not see over any case that is put on the ballot after they have been selected to prevent hunting and watch them sign an agreement that would remove the political football entirely and unpack their court in the process.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    A good counter to that would be to send it back with an amendment which tacks on the Sanders proposal to it where the Justices are rotated out randomly from the lower courts at random and can not see over any case that is put on the ballot after they have been selected to prevent hunting and watch them sign an agreement that would remove the political football entirely and unpack their court in the process.
    That's actually a fairly good proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Trump calls Pfizer "Fisa"

And Joe is the demented one?
    He called Burisma Burmisa , then clained that was the proper Ukrainian pronunciation.

Sorry, Arizona, Trump the superspreader is in your state now talking about his Quid Pro Quo again. Mask up and avoid the MAGA crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Sorry, Arizona, Trump the superspreader is in your state now talking about his Quid Pro Quo again. Mask up and avoid the MAGA crowd.
    Seems like you should also avoid them, because they are apparently real ready to locking up everyone.

I just caught a minute or so of some rally speech he was doing live broadcast on his Twitch channel. He actually said "I love the hispanics, they're really great". WTF? Someone's obviously told him he needs to win over minorities and he's so intellectually limited that his thought process is "uhhh so ok I need to appeal to hispanics... what can I say... hmm... Oh I know, I'll just say I love the hispanics and say how I think they're really great". It's funny and sad at the same time.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I just caught a minute or so of some rally speech he was doing live broadcast on his Twitch channel. He actually said "I love the hispanics, they're really great". WTF? Someone's obviously told him he needs to win over minorities and he's so intellectually limited that his thought process is "uhhh so ok I need to appeal to hispanics... what can I say... hmm... Oh I know, I'll just say I love the hispanics and say how I think they're really great". It's funny and sad at the same time.
    It's not like slinging vague praises for persons/things he doesn't know/care about for the sake of currying favor is anything new, though. Just wrapped up in the rest of his disingenuous antics it makes the appeal look even more silly.

The Blacks. The whites. The suburban women. The Jews. He loves all of "The X" when it's politically convenient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Photo op with a taco bowl is his usual subtle messaging.
    /s