Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What single issue did they elect Obama on, again? Do you have any polling on people voting for Obama because he was Black? Or is this another instance of knowingly or unknowingly repeating racist rhetoric?
    It's weird that Ben Carson and Herman Cain (RIP?) garnered that entire black vote simply because they're black. Oh no...wait....it's almost like they're shitheel Republicans and had no black support at all.

Seriously, put up Candace Owens for office in the hood. See how many black people vote for her over a progressive white Dem.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's weird that Ben Carson and Herman Cain (RIP?) garnered that entire black vote simply because they're black. Oh no...wait....it's almost like they're shitheel Republicans and had no black support at all.

Seriously, put up Candace Owens for office in the hood. See how many black people vote for her over a progressive white Dem.
    Another case in point - Tim Scott in SC - https://www.thestate.com/news/politi...e13900028.html

But polls show the race between Democrat Dickerson and Republican Scott is not even that close among black voters.

A late-September poll of likely voters by CBS News showed 60 percent of African-Americans favored Dickerson while only 15 percent chose Scott. A month earlier, a similar CBS poll showed Scott’s black support at 7 percent.

“So it’s up,” Scott said of his black support, projecting the optimism that he says is a deliberate part of his leadership style.
    Joyce Dickerson is also black, but you'd figure there would be like, a much more even split if Black voters voted on candidates "because they're Black."

Weird, @TexasRules, it's almost like you're, again, repeating racist rhetoric. Whether you're aware of this or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    So all the people who voted for Obama because he was black are like nazis?
    Uhm... since when was the president’s race a policy issue? This is more revealing that you intended...

- - - Updated - - -

Steele was their answer to Obama, it didn’t work and the result of his experience... he endorsed Biden.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    or unknowingly repeating racist rhetoric?
    Nothing TexasRules has ever posted warrants such a generous concession.
    /s

Are you calling me racist against the Whites?

Even though I'm White, I will accept that judgment.

- - - Updated - - -

What single issue did they elect Obama on, again? Do you have any polling on people voting for Obama because he was Black? Or is this another instance of knowingly or unknowingly repeating racist rhetoric?
    I voted Obama to kill the babies.

Jesus Christ, this is what you got out of that?

- - - Updated - - -

The campaign ads against Owens would write themselves with her disastrous Joe Rogan interview, and her defense of Hitler. Then you have her George Floyd video and everything else.

This thread, originally called The Trump Shitshow, might only be around for a bit longer than a week. Fingers crossed!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    This thread, originally called The Trump Shitshow, might only be around for a bit longer than a week. Fingers crossed!
    God time flies when everything's burning down, doesn't it?

Still going to be around until at least January, and will likely continue on as people follow the criminal cases brought against him

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Still going to be around until at least January, and will likely continue on as people follow the criminal cases brought against him
    Yeah exactly this. You guys are in for a bit of a rude awakening if you don't think Trump is going to spend his lame duck period trying to burn everything down. :/

can we petition to get it changed back? there's absolutely no denying the accuracy of the title after all

Quote Originally Posted by Waniou View Post
    Yeah exactly this. You guys are in for a bit of a rude awakening if you don't think Trump is going to spend his lame duck period trying to burn everything down. :/
    Spend one month trying to burn down everything, the next taking a "diplomatic" trip to a nation that is friendly to him that has a "Whoops I forgot to come back home for Biden's inauguration, better stay here now."

Actual Trump quote from his rally today in Pennsylvania:

"By the way, nice trucks. You think I could hop into one of them and drive it away? I'd love to do it. Just drive the hell outta here. Just get the hell out of this. I had such a good life. My life was great."

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    And this is really one of the biggest condemnations of Trump you can find. Any halfwit incumbent could have used a national disaster to ride the wave of nationalist sentiment to reelection in a landslide.

He had a ready-made excuse for why his policies didn't bring about the economic growth and domination he promised, by just having a halfway decent record on the pandemic, and trotting it out as a scapegoat.

And Trump couldn't even do that.

Instead, his actions have literally cost the lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans.
    Indeed. In the vast majority of democracies, governments have benefited from the virus in terms of popular support. In Canada multiple provincial governments have obtained majorities by responding well and campaigning in favor of more power for them. Here in Québec the Prime Minister reached historic levels in approval ratings. In France, a hard hit country, Macron jumped up in approval as well despite being extremely low for most of his tenure.

Handling the crisis semi well and not behaving like a total dickhead about the entire thing would have seen Trump coast to one of the easiest wins in recent American history. Biden isn't a candidate that garners much enthusiasm, this election is very much a referendum on Trump even more than the average one for a second term. And had the President been able to semi-realistically say that he did what he could when he could, enough people would have rallied behind him to allow him to crush swing states.

But after all, if Trump wasn't an incompetent douchebag he wouldn't be Trump.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    No. They just weren't single-issue voters in the first place.

If they had been, then candidates like Herman Cain and Ben Carson on the Republican side would've gotten the same groundswell. They didn't. Because "being black" wasn't the only thing that mattered to those voters, in the first place.

But you're clearly not approaching this from a place of honest critique, anyway.
    Oh so there were absolutely positively no voters who voted for Obama just singly because he was black. Hermaine Cain and Ben Carson are nowhere near the orator that Obama is. That man can spoon feed shit to democrats all day and they believe. You know, like You can keep your plan and your doctor. Just to be clear , you use 2 poor candidates and think they are the same as Obama and would get the groundswell that a DEMOCRAT nominee would. And you accuse me of dishonest critique. You're clearly trying to pretend that people do not vote for someone based on the color of their skin SOLELY. In fact, your circle jerk here routinely points to white supremacists all the time because they have no real debate so they throw race in to it every single time. But when it's black people only voting because he's black....well, that's dishonest critique. I know you're just full of it, you just can't admit people only vote purely based on skin color, but most of us know it does happen. You can pretend all you like, you are good at it.

- - - Updated - - -

So you seriously typed this out thinking that in a campaign for any office, that those 2 could compare to Obama. Man you guys really think Obama sucked if you really think he was on the same level as those 2. You guys really think Obama was that bad of a candidate and voted for him twice. That explains your love for Joe Biden.

- - - Updated - - -

You honestly think nobody voted for Obama simply because he was black. You honestly think that.

You honestly think nobody voted for Obama simply because he was black. You honestly think that.
    When did I say that?

I didn't, because I'm sure there's at least a few folks somewhere that may have. But a few folks out of millions of votes, do not a statistic make.

Again, you're just here repeating the racist rhetoric that Black Americans only voted for Obama because he was Black. Rhetoric which has never been shown to have any evidence behind it, and rhetoric that's repeated by naked racists who hate Black people.

Don't repeat their rhetoric, as it could cause you to be confused as one of those racists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh so there were absolutely positively no voters who voted for Obama just singly because he was black. Hermaine Cain and Ben Carson are nowhere near the orator that Obama is. That man can spoon feed shit to democrats all day and they believe. You know, like You can keep your plan and your doctor. Just to be clear , you use 2 poor candidates and think they are the same as Obama and would get the groundswell that a DEMOCRAT nominee would. And you accuse me of dishonest critique. You're clearly trying to pretend that people do not vote for someone based on the color of their skin SOLELY. In fact, your circle jerk here routinely points to white supremacists all the time because they have no real debate so they throw race in to it every single time. But when it's black people only voting because he's black....well, that's dishonest critique. I know you're just full of it, you just can't admit people only vote purely based on skin color, but most of us know it does happen. You can pretend all you like, you are good at it.
    If it were just skin color, then oratorical skills wouldn't matter. Promises wouldn't matter. Policy positions wouldn't matter.

That's the point. If it were just skin color that mattered, black Republicans would get as much support as Obama did. Do they? No. Because your claim is just obviously false, on its face. It flies against the facts.

You apparently don't like that, and want to rage against the simple truth, but the truth doesn't give a shit what you think. Nobody voted for Obama just because he was black. At least, not in any kind of numbers that would be statistically determinable, a caveat I make only in case you dig up one random nutcase and try and dishonestly claim they represent most voters.

69,841 new cases (I predicted 65k..meh); a little over 10k more than last Monday. Once again that's a big jump on a low-report day.

Texas: 6,713 new cases; 52 deaths
    Illinois: 4,729 new cases; 17 deaths
    California: 3,859 new cases; 43 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Wisconsin: 2,883 new cases; 10 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 2,492 new cases; 7 deaths
    Tennessee: 2,279 new cases; 32 deaths
    Missouri: 2,266 new cases; 8 deaths
    Colorado: 2,211 new cases (new record); 3 deaths
    Kansas: 2,186 new cases (new record); 1 death
    Michigan: 2,117 new cases; 30 deaths
    Ohio: 2,102 new cases; 11 deaths
    Connecticut: 2,047 new cases; 12 deaths
    Indiana: 1,974 new cases; 13 deaths
    North Carolina: 1,643 new cases; 13 deaths
    New Jersey: 1,641 new cases; 10 deaths
    Minnesota: 1,570 new cases; 4 deaths
    New York: 1,416 new cases; 15 deaths
    Massachusetts: 1,212 new cases; 17 deaths
    Utah: 1,201 new cases; 2 deaths
    Washington: 1,159 new cases; 31 deaths

That's nearly 70k cases on a low-report day. Unless this is somehow the turning point this is going to be a very bad week. This is the second-highest day ever for Pennsylvania. Wisconsin gives the appearance of having passed the worst of it yet the positivity is heading back up again so they may see a resurgence this week. This is the second-highest total on record for Connecticut as well, though this total also includes Saturday and Sunday's numbers as they do not report on those days. Texas is approaching 7k again and Washington is over 1k for the first time since early August. A number of other states just missed my 1k cutoff but they'll likely be back on the list starting tomorrow as reporting starts picking up again. At this point I'm expecting several 70k days and 80k later in the week. If things really go south we'll be looking at 90k by Friday/Saturday. The vast majority of the country--including Alaska--remains in "uncontrolled spread" territory with only a handful of states trending better or level. Given that I still expect a LOT of people to show up in person to vote on Election Day I suspect we're going to remain north of 60-70k for a while. Texas is pulling away from California in terms of total cases and may end up with a million in a couple weeks if they don't turn things around soon.

529 deaths is a little under a hundred more than last Monday and puts the total at 231,045. We were at about 5k per week and now we're heading towards 6k. Even on this low report day 20 states had double-digit death tolls. We may be back above 1k again tomorrow.

Related news:

Coronavirus in the U.S. is spreading like 'wildfire,' epidemiologist says--I imagine Californians wish that had been worded differently. Either way, it's true.
    Minnesota reports three Covid-19 outbreaks related to Trump campaign events in September--As if there was ever any doubt.
    Group sees 14% increase in child Covid-19 cases with close to 800,000 US kids infected--I imagine many people have an "I told you so" urge right now.

Stay safe, folks.

How does someone, actually post that black people voted for Obama simply because he was black, then when asked why these black people didn't;t vote for Cain or Carson, they defend their stance by saying Obama is a great orator???? I mean what the actual fuck, did they vote for Obama simply because he was black or because he was a great orator...which is it?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Waniou View Post
    Yeah, but I am seeing signs that he might not be able to do much burning.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/walma...184010235.html

Title: Walmart CEO: 'The country needs to come together and solve problems'

Walmart moves to the left. Or maybe to the center is more like it, which is quite a bit left of where the country is now.

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon is calling for unity and a commonsense approach to business in the country as we barrel through another contentious presidential election season.
    This is the exact opposite of Trump and Trump supporters dividing up the country into their friends, and their hated enemies.

“I think the country needs to come together and solve problems. Regardless of the administration or who is in Congress, when you look at the outcomes of what has been happening there are opportunities for us to invest in infrastructure, to create more equity, to invest in new technologies, to create jobs of the future,” McMillon said at the Yahoo Finance All Markets Summit. “That transition to a digital age, to a forward-looking country needs to happen. We want to create opportunity for people. Americans need jobs.”
    Ok this is on the general side, but "investing in infrastructure" sounds like government spending on programs that create jobs and fix things that are currently not working too well in America. I wouldn't think too much of it except for the next paragraph.

For starters, Walmart (WMT) handed out a raise to 165,000 U.S. workers earlier this month. It brought the starting minimum wage for hourly workers to $15 an hour. In addition, Walmart said it would invest in cross-training opportunities for workers to improve their skillsets. The effort comes on the heels of a June initiative to expand access to low cost college for employees with a focus on tech degrees. That same month, Walmart said it would set aside $100 million to fund a new center on racial equity.
    There have been quite a few business type articles that have, as a side effect, that what the US needs to do is get Trump out and Biden in as smoothly as possible. And I'm pretty sure that this means with a democratic Senate so that the government can actually DO things.

More and more business articles are looking favorably on the idea of repealing the Trump tax cut for people making more than $400k, even if it means higher corporate rates and higher taxes for themselves. If Americans don't have any money, they can't sell them anything, China overtakes the US quite quickly, and American companies lose out to Chinese companies in about a decade, with economic conflict with China hurting US companies far more than Chinese companies.

To move things forward, Walmart has already done what it can do to make Biden's agenda reality. This theme is becoming prominent in business articles across the board.

Fingers crossed, but it seems like corporate America is starting to realize, and to act upon, the idea that no money for US workers ultimately means no money for them, and increased power for EU and China at our expense.