Yeah this is some crazy shit. This is the potential POTUS and you have no idea what these people will do. No state police?

For all the Trumpkins now wanting their First Amendment rights when they didn't give a shit about the protests. The problem is you have a person who incites this.

Just want this to be over. So many pieces of crap in our country. Never seen this before in any election of fanatics thinking its that serious to threaten Presidential candidates.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Yeah this is some crazy shit. This is the potential POTUS and you have no idea what these people will do. No state police?

For all the Trumpkins now wanting their First Amendment rights when they didn't give a shit about the protests. The problem is you have a person who incites this.

Just want this to be over. So many pieces of crap in our country. Never seen this before in any election of fanatics thinking its that serious to threaten Presidential candidates.
    Apparently Kamala wasn't on the bus, it was "just" campaign staff and local politicians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the ones in the trucks, to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Apparently Kamala wasn't on the bus, it was "just" campaign staff and local politicians.
    Was this known? If so I will back off on the comment of police, but stick with my fanatics comment.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Was this known? If so I will back off on the comment of police, but stick with my fanatics comment.
    I don't think it was known. No. They generally don't publish the movements of USSS protectees.

Edit: Although I suppose the cops might have known she wasn't on the bus.

10+ Year Old Account
    So apparently there are protesters picketing outside Bill Barrs house.

No, they aren't liberals upset because Bill Barr is the most corrupt AG in US history. They are Trump supporters upset that he isn't doing more to lock up Joe Biden.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    No, they aren't liberals upset because Bill Barr is the most corrupt AG in US history. They are Trump supporters upset that he isn't doing more to lock up Joe Biden.
    So, do the police come because it's Barr, or stay home because it's Trump supporters? Thanks a lot, Texas terrorists, now it's murky.

Yes, what those truck drivers did in Texas is the literal definition of terrorism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I saw a study mentioned today, from Stanford I believe, that claimed 18 Trump rallies were responsible for around 30,000 cases and about 700 deaths, so far.

Link to study.
    For those of you who don't speak fluent academic, TheHill has a summary.

A new study from Stanford University found that 18 of President Trump’s campaign rallies have led to over 30,000 confirmed coronavirus cases and likely led to over 700 deaths.

Researchers examined rallies held between June 20 and Sept. 22, 2020, only three of which were held indoors.

The authors concluded that the rallies increased subsequent cases of COVID-19 by over 250 infections per 100,000 residents. They found that the events led to over 30,000 new cases in the country and likely resulted in over 700 deaths, but recognized that the deaths were “not necessarily among attendees.”

“Our analysis strongly supports the warnings and recommendations of public health officials concerning the risk of COVID-19 transmission at large group gatherings, particularly when the degree of compliance with guidelines concerning the use of masks and social distancing is low,” the authors wrote in the paper. “The communities in which Trump rallies took place paid a high price in terms of disease and death.

do you guys think Trump is charismatic? I mean, online you would think he's not only supposedly incompetent but a jackass (in personality). Whenever he talks in person in these speeches though, it feels different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    do you guys think Trump is charismatic? I mean, online you would think he's not only supposedly incompetent but a jackass (in personality). Whenever he talks in person in these speeches though, it feels different.
    Clearly you aren't watching any of his speeches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Yes, to a certain type of person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    If Joe wins, there'll be no fracking, no mining, no oil, no heating, no AC. Dogs and cats will sleep together. E will no longer equal MC^2. There'll be windmills in every park and every lawn. Every channel will be CNN and MSNBC. Rachel Maddow will be the new Press Secretary. Hospice will be able to kill their oldest patients to make new vacancies. Alien won't be vs Predator, but instead they'll team up and be Alien and Predator. The far side of the moon will now face Earth. Earth will revolve backwards. And the frogs will all be gay.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Only to idiots.

Hell even the Climate is setting records. And I am just gonna blame this one on Republicans in general

As a reminder that there is one month left in this hurricane season, we're watching yet another tropical depression in the Caribbean, headed for Central America. It could bring significant heavy rainfall and gusty winds to Central America at the beginning of November.

This depression should be watching in the week ahead as it has the opportunity to move closer to home.

Twenty-Nine should gain the name "Eta" in the days ahead, which would be the first time that name has been used. A named tropical storm would also tie the historic 2005 Atlantic Hurricane Season for most named tropical or subtropical storms in a season.

10+ Year Old Account
    In NC, a group of protestors held an unofficial march -- they didn't get permits -- to encourage people to vote and decry police violence.

The police pepper sprayed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    In NC, a group of protestors held an unofficial march -- they didn't get permits -- to encourage people to vote and decry police violence.

The police pepper sprayed them.
    They also pepper sprayed numerous children in the process.
    Last edited by Zaydin; 2020-11-01 at 01:52 AM.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

86,293 new cases, about 6k more than last Saturday. This shouldn't be too surprising given that it's Saturday and numbers usually take a dip heading in and 6k more is still significant, but given that last Saturday there was a 22k jump over the previous week I'll take it.

Illinois: 7,899 new cases (new record); 46 deaths
    Texas: 6,763 new cases; 74 deaths
    Wisconsin: 5,278 new cases (new record); 59 deaths
    Michigan: 4,018 new cases; 34 deaths
    Indiana: 3,465 new cases; 46 deaths
    California: 3,367 new cases; 39 deaths
    Minnesota: 3,007 new cases; 20 deaths
    Colorado: 2,924 new cases (new record); 7 deaths
    Ohio: 2,889 new cases; 9 deaths
    North Carolina: 2,805 new cases; 46 deaths
    Iowa: 2,795 new cases; 10 deaths
    Georgia: 2,565 new cases; 24 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Missouri: 2,246 new cases; 77 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 2,230 new cases; 22 deaths
    Kentucky: 1,977 new cases (new record); 9 deaths
    New York: 1,976 new cases; 13 deaths
    Arizona: 1,901 new cases; 45 deaths
    Alabama: 1,789 new cases; 35 deaths
    Utah: 1,724 new cases; 3 deaths
    Virginia: 1,551 new cases; 11 deaths
    South Dakota: 1,433 new cases; 10 deaths
    North Dakota: 1,433 new cases (new record); 12 deaths (Not a typo, North and South Dakota had the exact total--spoooooOOoooky.)
    Massachusetts: 1,430 new cases; 16 deaths
    Arkansas: 1,316 new cases; 25 deaths
    New Jersey: 1,312 new cases; 9 deaths
    Oklahoma: 1,267 new cases; 11 deaths
    Tennessee: 1,184 new cases; 12 deaths
    Nebraska: 1,087 new cases; 6 deaths
    South Carolina: 1,018 new cases; 39 deaths

Despite it being the begin of the typically low-report weekend today's 86k total is roughly twice what it was the last Saturday of September. That's how out of control this is. Illinois had been holding steady for a couple months but has exploded the past three weeks to take over the top spot (though I expect Texas will reclaim it soon enough). Many states reached totals that were their second-highest ever. That's 30 states on the list at the start of the weekend. Very little has changed with respect to which states are leveled off (very few) and which are skyrocketing in either cases or positivity (pretty much all the rest). Expect daily case totals to go down the next two days as usual and then start climbing again on Tuesday. I predict Sunday's totals will likely close in on 70k or above. As a reminder today's 86k total is still higher than what was reached back in July. There's still no indication it's slowing down.

914 deaths is over a hundred more than last Saturday and increases the national total to 236,072. The weekly average is definitely heading up. I would expect several 1k+ days next week.

Related news (as I'm not reading through the thread currently these may have already been posted; apologies in advance):

Study links Trump rallies to more than 700 Covid deaths--Yep.

US coronavirus cases break global daily record, and experts warn it will only get worse--Not content with only breaking US records, I guess.

Hospitals overwhelmed: Exhausted staffs, surging COVID-19 cases push nation's limits--Sorry, no good news today. This coupled with the above story should worry the shit out of everyone.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    914 deaths ...The weekly average is definitely heading up.
    It is. Except for a spike in mid Sept the rolling average was between 600 and 750 once August ended, mostly flat. It has been slowly and steadily increasing since Oct 17. And since we've been 900-1000 for a week now, it looks like we'll keep increasing.

The 7-day average was between 1,000 and 1,200 in the worst part of the summer. It looks like we're headed right back there.

God dammit.

So Halloween... even with COVID surging, people were out, not social distancing, some were, most were not, and 95% of those I saw did not wear masks (medical masks, not plastic costume masks). The next two weeks are going to be wild...

As for why I quoted your reference to that article, my wife is a nurse, and she ends up having COVID patients on occasion. It’s getting more frequent now for her, I think she has had 3 in the last 2/3 weeks, whereas she hasn’t had any in the previous 3/4 months? It’s not a lot, hospitals aren’t overwhelmed here yet, but her floor is already super busy as it is, she is always at Max patient capacity, so her floor at least cannot realistically handle a surge in patients. I’m guessing they would have to go to another floor with capacity? Idk, but the main thing that bothers me is that they don’t have adequate ppe. They have so little that only the doctors get N95’s, my wife only gets surgical masks. And to top it off, she is complaining of nasal congestion tonight... so she might need to get tested. But my point is that maybe not all hospitals/floors are in this situation, but there are certainly still issues with hospitals not having ppe to protect their staff, so if the hospitals are getting overwhelmed, it’s only going to get worse as the staff get sick

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    So Halloween... even with COVID surging, people were out, not social distancing, some were, most were not, and 95% of those I saw did not wear masks (medical masks, not plastic costume masks). The next two weeks are going to be wild...

As for why I quoted your reference to that article, my wife is a nurse, and she ends up having COVID patients on occasion. It’s getting more frequent now for her, I think she has had 3 in the last 2/3 weeks, whereas she hasn’t had any in the previous 3/4 months? It’s not a lot, hospitals aren’t overwhelmed here yet, but her floor is already super busy as it is, she is always at Max patient capacity, so her floor at least cannot realistically handle a surge in patients. I’m guessing they would have to go to another floor with capacity? Idk, but the main thing that bothers me is that they don’t have adequate ppe. They have so little that only the doctors get N95’s, my wife only gets surgical masks. And to top it off, she is complaining of nasal congestion tonight... so she might need to get tested. But my point is that maybe not all hospitals/floors are in this situation, but there are certainly still issues with hospitals not having ppe to protect their staff, so if the hospitals are getting overwhelmed, it’s only going to get worse as the staff get sick
    Not sure what department your wife works in, but it's primarily the ICU beds that's the issue. People who are sick but aren't life-threatening aren't likely to be taking up hospital beds and will usually just be quarantining at home, but people who are so bad they need to be on some form of life support (ventilators, etc..) are going to need ICU beds. Of course some hospitals may convert "normal" rooms to ICU if possible, but that's not always feasible.