1. #62461
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Late Capitalism
    Posts
    51,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump signs declaration that there is no human right to abortion, and no international requirement to provide them.

    Other signers of the declaration are such bastions of womens' rights as Saudi Arabia and Uganda.

    EDIT: Trump is clearly desperate to hold onto his base. This declaration has no actual effect, other than to say "Hey I am still pro-life". And why didn't he do this earlier? If he's so pro-life, why didn't he sign this three years and ten months ago?
    That's an awfully bold sharpie signature from someone keeping themselves alive by virtue of dead baby juice.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  2. #62462
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    29,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I imagine McConnell watching this slouching in a lazyboy chair with a bottle of whisky
    GOP power shift emerges with Trump, McConnell

    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has sought to avoid a vote on a massive stimulus package that would badly divide the Senate GOP conference right before Election Day, even as Trump urges Republican senators to “go big.”

    McConnell told Republican colleagues at a lunch meeting Tuesday that he warned the White House against a vote on a massive stimulus package before election day. He quipped that he knew his message that was delivered in a private meeting would get out to the public very quickly.

    “He made his statement prefaced by ‘this will probably be on Twitter in a few minutes,’” said a GOP senator recounting Tuesday’s meeting.

    A majority of Republican senators oppose a bigger coronavirus relief package, even as Trump pushes for one.

    “Mitch understands his troops,” the senator said. “He’s made the calculation that it’s not helpful to bring it to the floor because it would show we’re not on the same page as the president. There would be a lot of Republican no's."

    It’s just one of the emerging differences between the two pillars of GOP power in Washington.

    Republican lawmakers also have concerns about the management of Trump’s reelection campaign, ranging from his performance during the first debate, to its cash shortage, to the president’s tendency to highlight politically divisive topics instead of focus on the issues.

    Trump’s campaign has had increasing trouble raising money as donors have started to shift their resources to saving the Senate GOP majority and building a firewall against the possibility of a Democratic-controlled White House and House. Trump’s grass-roots fundraising arm is working harder and spending more on every dollar it raises compared to earlier this year.
    McConnell's strategy is not one I would have guessed, but should have. I see now how he'll try to protect his own party from having to take a stand on the most major issue facing the country, because it's his party's fault and he doesn't want to hurt what's left of their re-election chances.

    If he's watching the debate, apparently, he's pretty confident he made the right call.

    - - - Updated - - -

    So the next time anyone tries to talk about "the violent left" I hereby urge you to point to the Trump suppporter arrested with a house full of machine guns, explosives, child pornography and plans to go on a mass shooting spree on Black Friday and tell them to fuck right off.

  3. #62463
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I warn against making that conclusion too quickly.

    Part of the charging documents seems to assert the suspect declared he needed to "save Bernie" by possibly executing Biden.

    I mean, a lot of his stuff also includes anti-Islamic literature and swastikas and talking about killing black people, so who knows. Could be an extreme example of horseshoe theory, or one of those Trump supporters who often claimed in 2016 "I would totally vote for Bernie."

  4. #62464
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    29,052
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I warn against making that conclusion too quickly.
    The decision not to vote on a bill? I mean, there's no bill yet, so, I have to agree.

  5. #62465
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The decision not to vote on a bill? I mean, there's no bill yet, so, I have to agree.
    No, the decision to label the kid who was arrested as a Trump supporter. He may be a Bernie supporter.

    Edit: Here's a more in-depth article about what they found, which I posted in the election thread, since assassinating the Dem candidate seemed like election news: https://www.thedailybeast.com/alexan...er&via=desktop

  6. #62466
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    29,052
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    No, the decision to label the kid who was arrested as a Trump supporter. He may be a Bernie supporter.
    I'm going to point at the house full of machine guns and explosives, and remain confident with my earlier statement.

  7. #62467
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I'm going to point at the house full of machine guns and explosives, and remain confident with my earlier statement.
    See my above edit with the more in-depth article of what was found.

    The conversation which included "Should I kill Biden?" came after he said "I have to save Bernie."

    Like I said, he could be either/or. Might be a horseshoe theory case at its finest.

  8. #62468
    74,301 new cases, about 8k more than last Thursday.

    Texas: 6,197 new cases; 92 deaths
    Fuck Florida. (Yep, it's up there again)
    Illinois: 4,942 new cases (new record*); 42 deaths
    California: 4,302 new cases; 71 deaths
    Wisconsin: 3,413 new cases; 22 deaths
    Indiana: 2,850 new cases (new record); 42 deaths
    Ohio: 2,440 new cases (new record); 39 deaths
    North Carolina: 2,400 new cases; 50 deaths
    Michigan: 2,204 new cases; 46 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 2,054 new cases; 31 deaths
    Tennessee: 2,046 new cases; 41 deaths
    Iowa: 2,011 new cases (new record*); 17 deaths
    Missouri: 1,910 new cases; 34 deaths
    Georgia: 1,785 new cases; 25 deaths
    New York: 1,708 new cases; 14 deaths
    Oklahoma: 1,628 new cases; 11 deaths
    Minnesota: 1,561 new cases; 20 deaths
    Utah: 1,543 new cases (new record); 6 deaths
    Alabama: 1,390 new cases; 15 deaths
    Colorado: 1,373 new cases (new record); 4 deaths
    Virginia: 1,332 new cases; 9 deaths
    Kentucky: 1,303 new cases; 17 deaths
    Arkansas: 1,202 new cases; 21 deaths
    South Carolina: 1,128 new cases; 47 deaths
    Massachusetts: 1,049 new cases; 30 deaths
    New Jersey: 1,015 new cases; 17 deaths

    Special mention: South Dakota: 973 new cases (new record); 14 deaths

    More new records, which will be a theme for a while. According to the source I use Illinois did not break their record today but because of the way they gather information directly from the counties where possible versus just using what the state reports the numbers almost always differ. That said, I'm marking them as a new record based on @beanman12345's report from earlier in the thread. Iowa's is also technically not a record but it looks like their previous record was a correction. Oklahoma hit their second-highest total ever, the highest being just after Trump's superspreader event in Tulsa. Massachusetts is joining the list for the first time as they see numbers above 1k for the first time since late April, joining the rest of the Northeast in their slow crawl upwards--which is still a damned sight better than what a lot of the rest of the country is seeing. The trends are only decreasing in a couple of states with the vast majority increasing and a small handful remaining relatively flat. Given the few positivity ratings I've checked in various regions, that's not going to change. 12 states had more than 2k cases today.

    Something I forgot to mention yesterday: Texas has now passed California for total cases. Florida is a distant third--but we all know that's through wildly inaccurate reporting. Fuck Florida.

    Dipping back below 1k to 973 deaths today, which is still 100 more than last Thursday. The total now stands at 228,381 And it's looking likely that we'll hit 230k before the weekend is over.

    Related news:

    Trump’s campaign made stops nationwide. Coronavirus cases surged in his wake in at least five places.
    White House says Trump tests negative for coronavirus before debate with Biden--But can we believe them?
    Rheumatoid arthritis drug tocilizumab advances as a COVID-19 treatment, as other regimens fall back, studies show

    Stay safe, folks.

  9. #62469
    You know, the discussion of Trump and healthcare reminds me of the joke on South Park with George RR Martin and the pizzas are coming and yet hasn't placed the order yet.

  10. #62470
    Ah yes Trump. The windmills does indeed kill all the birds. That is why I haven't seen any here in Denmark for years. What a load of crap

  11. #62471
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    8,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    74,301 new cases, about 8k more than last Thursday.

    Texas: 6,197 new cases; 92 deaths
    Fuck Florida. (Yep, it's up there again)
    Illinois: 4,942 new cases (new record*); 42 deaths
    California: 4,302 new cases; 71 deaths
    Wisconsin: 3,413 new cases; 22 deaths
    Indiana: 2,850 new cases (new record); 42 deaths
    Ohio: 2,440 new cases (new record); 39 deaths
    North Carolina: 2,400 new cases; 50 deaths
    Michigan: 2,204 new cases; 46 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 2,054 new cases; 31 deaths
    Tennessee: 2,046 new cases; 41 deaths
    Iowa: 2,011 new cases (new record*); 17 deaths
    Missouri: 1,910 new cases; 34 deaths
    Georgia: 1,785 new cases; 25 deaths
    New York: 1,708 new cases; 14 deaths
    Oklahoma: 1,628 new cases; 11 deaths
    Minnesota: 1,561 new cases; 20 deaths
    Utah: 1,543 new cases (new record); 6 deaths
    Alabama: 1,390 new cases; 15 deaths
    Colorado: 1,373 new cases (new record); 4 deaths
    Virginia: 1,332 new cases; 9 deaths
    Kentucky: 1,303 new cases; 17 deaths
    Arkansas: 1,202 new cases; 21 deaths
    South Carolina: 1,128 new cases; 47 deaths
    Massachusetts: 1,049 new cases; 30 deaths
    New Jersey: 1,015 new cases; 17 deaths

    Special mention: South Dakota: 973 new cases (new record); 14 deaths

    More new records, which will be a theme for a while. According to the source I use Illinois did not break their record today but because of the way they gather information directly from the counties where possible versus just using what the state reports the numbers almost always differ. That said, I'm marking them as a new record based on @beanman12345's report from earlier in the thread. Iowa's is also technically not a record but it looks like their previous record was a correction. Oklahoma hit their second-highest total ever, the highest being just after Trump's superspreader event in Tulsa. Massachusetts is joining the list for the first time as they see numbers above 1k for the first time since late April, joining the rest of the Northeast in their slow crawl upwards--which is still a damned sight better than what a lot of the rest of the country is seeing. The trends are only decreasing in a couple of states with the vast majority increasing and a small handful remaining relatively flat. Given the few positivity ratings I've checked in various regions, that's not going to change. 12 states had more than 2k cases today.

    Something I forgot to mention yesterday: Texas has now passed California for total cases. Florida is a distant third--but we all know that's through wildly inaccurate reporting. Fuck Florida.

    Dipping back below 1k to 973 deaths today, which is still 100 more than last Thursday. The total now stands at 228,381 And it's looking likely that we'll hit 230k before the weekend is over.

    Related news:

    Trump’s campaign made stops nationwide. Coronavirus cases surged in his wake in at least five places.
    White House says Trump tests negative for coronavirus before debate with Biden--But can we believe them?
    Rheumatoid arthritis drug tocilizumab advances as a COVID-19 treatment, as other regimens fall back, studies show

    Stay safe, folks.
    Your source is good. It got the right info, there was a day where we had 5 something thousand reported but it was from backlog due to some slowdown in data processing which got fixed and caused a giant crazy spike that one day when cases were hovering much lower but still in the thousands.

  12. #62472
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    29,052
    Looks like there's some fact-checking to be done

    Our Ruling

    President Trump is claiming that if not for his efforts, there would have been 2 million more deaths in the U.S. from COVID-19.

    But that 2 million number is taken from a model that shows what would happen without any mitigation measures — that is, if citizens had continued their daily lives as usual, and governments did nothing. Experts said that wouldn’t have happened in real life.

    And while lockdowns and social distancing have indeed been proven to prevent COVID-19 illness and deaths, credit for that doesn’t go solely to Trump. The White House issued federal recommendations asking Americans to stay home, but much stronger social distancing measures were enforced by states.

    Travel restrictions implemented by Trump perhaps helped hold down transmission in the context of broader efforts, but on their own, they don’t seem to have significantly reduced the transmission rate of the coronavirus.

    We rate this claim Mostly False.
    Our Ruling

    Trump said "phony" ballots "were printed without my name on it."

    We found an instance of about 2,000 ballots sent to a single precinct in Los Angeles that skipped the presidential race entirely — not just his name, but Biden’s and the other candidates, too. The county quickly replaced those faulty ballots.

    Errors are not evidence of a conspiracy to favor one candidate or commit fraud. We rate this statement Mostly False.
    Our Ruling

    Speaking of the federal debt before the coronavirus pandemic, Trump said, "we were starting to get that number down."

    Trump’s claim is not supported by government data and analyses. Public debt and gross debt have gone up during Trump’s presidency. Debt as a percentage of the GDP has also increased throughout his administration.

    We rate Trump’s claim False.
    Our Ruling

    Trump said Pennsylvania "never opened." That’s not true. Most businesses were closed and residents were ordered to stay home in April, but restrictions have been lifted gradually since May, and no new lockdowns have been ordered even as case counts climb. Trump’s statement is inaccurate. We rate it False.
    Our Ruling

    A Trump campaign ad claims Biden repeatedly told Americans he's going to raise their taxes.

    That’s not what Biden actually said in the three clips highlighted in the ad, which were edited to pluck specific comments out of context. And it’s not what Biden’s tax plan would do, either.

    Biden and his campaign have repeatedly said his tax plan does not call for direct tax increases on anyone making less than $400,000 per year.

    We rate this ad’s claim False.
    Our Ruling

    Pence claimed in a news release that since he and Trump took office, their policies "led to an unemployment rate of 3.1% in Wisconsin and 61,000 jobs, including 15,000 manufacturing jobs."

    Those numbers may have been high-water marks before the pandemic, but they ignore the current reality. Even then, they overstate the credit for improvements that are driven by many economic forces.

    We rate Pence’s claim False.
    Our Ruling

    Biden said "the boilermakers union has endorsed me." There are several things wrong with this statement.

    First, the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers hasn’t endorsed a candidate for president this cycle.

    Second, Local 154, the Pittsburgh area chapter mentioned during the town hall, endorsed Trump.

    Third, the boilermakers did not endorse Biden twice in the past as his campaign said.

    And fourth, the Biden campaign provided no evidence that he "sat down" with the union’s leaders as he said.

    Biden’s statement is not accurate. We rate it False.
    "Whoa, you cited a Biden lie?"

    I mean, he either made a serious mistake or lied, neither one is redeeming, it'd be hypocritical if I didn't.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Trump campaign posts doctored video of Biden and Harris on their site

    Trump is trying to push the lie that Biden wants to end all fracking instantly. Biden's been repeatedly publicly clear, on federal land, and no emissions by 2035. The only person who doesn't know that is Trump. Or, Trump does know it and is lying. Pick one.

  13. #62473
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump campaign posts doctored video of Biden and Harris on their site

    Trump is trying to push the lie that Biden wants to end all fracking instantly. Biden's been repeatedly publicly clear, on federal land, and no emissions by 2035. The only person who doesn't know that is Trump. Or, Trump does know it and is lying. Pick one.
    I made the mistake of reading the comments on that article.

    Oh boy. I forgot how much of a right wing echo chamber that place is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

  14. #62474
    Immortal Thepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Puerto Montt, Chile
    Posts
    7,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump signs declaration that there is no human right to abortion, and no international requirement to provide them.

    Other signers of the declaration are such bastions of womens' rights as Saudi Arabia and Uganda.

    EDIT: Trump is clearly desperate to hold onto his base. This declaration has no actual effect, other than to say "Hey I am still pro-life". And why didn't he do this earlier? If he's so pro-life, why didn't he sign this three years and ten months ago?
    Isnt like... a human right to bodily autonomy, and that includes safe and secure abortions?
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker



  15. #62475
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    29,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Isnt like... a human right to bodily autonomy, and that includes safe and secure abortions?
    Trump does not believe this to be true. Anyone who grabs women by the pussy does not believe this to be true.

  16. #62476
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Isnt like... a human right to bodily autonomy, and that includes safe and secure abortions?
    That's Roe vs. Wade. The thing Trump and the GOP are counting on the newest SCOTUS seat-warmer to help kill.

  17. #62477
    Immortal Thepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Puerto Montt, Chile
    Posts
    7,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    That's Roe vs. Wade. The thing Trump and the GOP are counting on the newest SCOTUS seat-warmer to help kill.
    I really hope that your country soon gets a majority of non-believers. Having religion constantly holding it back is fucking awful.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker



  18. #62478
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    I really hope that your country soon gets a majority of non-believers. Having religion constantly holding it back is fucking awful.
    We can't really have that discussion here, but strongly agree.

  19. #62479
    I have been busy all day, how did the debates go? If you don't mind me asking.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

  20. #62480
    Scarab Lord Zaydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    4,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    I have been busy all day, how did the debates go? If you don't mind me asking.
    CNNs post-debate focus group of 11 undecided voters had zero who thought Trump won, nine who thought Biden won and two who thought it was a draw.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •