1. #63181
    86,293 new cases, about 6k more than last Saturday. This shouldn't be too surprising given that it's Saturday and numbers usually take a dip heading in and 6k more is still significant, but given that last Saturday there was a 22k jump over the previous week I'll take it.

    Illinois: 7,899 new cases (new record); 46 deaths
    Texas: 6,763 new cases; 74 deaths
    Wisconsin: 5,278 new cases (new record); 59 deaths
    Michigan: 4,018 new cases; 34 deaths
    Indiana: 3,465 new cases; 46 deaths
    California: 3,367 new cases; 39 deaths
    Minnesota: 3,007 new cases; 20 deaths
    Colorado: 2,924 new cases (new record); 7 deaths
    Ohio: 2,889 new cases; 9 deaths
    North Carolina: 2,805 new cases; 46 deaths
    Iowa: 2,795 new cases; 10 deaths
    Georgia: 2,565 new cases; 24 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Missouri: 2,246 new cases; 77 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 2,230 new cases; 22 deaths
    Kentucky: 1,977 new cases (new record); 9 deaths
    New York: 1,976 new cases; 13 deaths
    Arizona: 1,901 new cases; 45 deaths
    Alabama: 1,789 new cases; 35 deaths
    Utah: 1,724 new cases; 3 deaths
    Virginia: 1,551 new cases; 11 deaths
    South Dakota: 1,433 new cases; 10 deaths
    North Dakota: 1,433 new cases (new record); 12 deaths (Not a typo, North and South Dakota had the exact total--spoooooOOoooky.)
    Massachusetts: 1,430 new cases; 16 deaths
    Arkansas: 1,316 new cases; 25 deaths
    New Jersey: 1,312 new cases; 9 deaths
    Oklahoma: 1,267 new cases; 11 deaths
    Tennessee: 1,184 new cases; 12 deaths
    Nebraska: 1,087 new cases; 6 deaths
    South Carolina: 1,018 new cases; 39 deaths

    Despite it being the begin of the typically low-report weekend today's 86k total is roughly twice what it was the last Saturday of September. That's how out of control this is. Illinois had been holding steady for a couple months but has exploded the past three weeks to take over the top spot (though I expect Texas will reclaim it soon enough). Many states reached totals that were their second-highest ever. That's 30 states on the list at the start of the weekend. Very little has changed with respect to which states are leveled off (very few) and which are skyrocketing in either cases or positivity (pretty much all the rest). Expect daily case totals to go down the next two days as usual and then start climbing again on Tuesday. I predict Sunday's totals will likely close in on 70k or above. As a reminder today's 86k total is still higher than what was reached back in July. There's still no indication it's slowing down.

    914 deaths is over a hundred more than last Saturday and increases the national total to 236,072. The weekly average is definitely heading up. I would expect several 1k+ days next week.

    Related news (as I'm not reading through the thread currently these may have already been posted; apologies in advance):

    Study links Trump rallies to more than 700 Covid deaths--Yep.

    US coronavirus cases break global daily record, and experts warn it will only get worse--Not content with only breaking US records, I guess.

    Hospitals overwhelmed: Exhausted staffs, surging COVID-19 cases push nation's limits--Sorry, no good news today. This coupled with the above story should worry the shit out of everyone.

    Stay safe, folks.

  2. #63182
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    914 deaths ...The weekly average is definitely heading up.
    It is. Except for a spike in mid Sept the rolling average was between 600 and 750 once August ended, mostly flat. It has been slowly and steadily increasing since Oct 17. And since we've been 900-1000 for a week now, it looks like we'll keep increasing.

    The 7-day average was between 1,000 and 1,200 in the worst part of the summer. It looks like we're headed right back there.

    God dammit.

  3. #63183
    So Halloween... even with COVID surging, people were out, not social distancing, some were, most were not, and 95% of those I saw did not wear masks (medical masks, not plastic costume masks). The next two weeks are going to be wild...

    As for why I quoted your reference to that article, my wife is a nurse, and she ends up having COVID patients on occasion. It’s getting more frequent now for her, I think she has had 3 in the last 2/3 weeks, whereas she hasn’t had any in the previous 3/4 months? It’s not a lot, hospitals aren’t overwhelmed here yet, but her floor is already super busy as it is, she is always at Max patient capacity, so her floor at least cannot realistically handle a surge in patients. I’m guessing they would have to go to another floor with capacity? Idk, but the main thing that bothers me is that they don’t have adequate ppe. They have so little that only the doctors get N95’s, my wife only gets surgical masks. And to top it off, she is complaining of nasal congestion tonight... so she might need to get tested. But my point is that maybe not all hospitals/floors are in this situation, but there are certainly still issues with hospitals not having ppe to protect their staff, so if the hospitals are getting overwhelmed, it’s only going to get worse as the staff get sick

  4. #63184
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    So Halloween... even with COVID surging, people were out, not social distancing, some were, most were not, and 95% of those I saw did not wear masks (medical masks, not plastic costume masks). The next two weeks are going to be wild...

    As for why I quoted your reference to that article, my wife is a nurse, and she ends up having COVID patients on occasion. It’s getting more frequent now for her, I think she has had 3 in the last 2/3 weeks, whereas she hasn’t had any in the previous 3/4 months? It’s not a lot, hospitals aren’t overwhelmed here yet, but her floor is already super busy as it is, she is always at Max patient capacity, so her floor at least cannot realistically handle a surge in patients. I’m guessing they would have to go to another floor with capacity? Idk, but the main thing that bothers me is that they don’t have adequate ppe. They have so little that only the doctors get N95’s, my wife only gets surgical masks. And to top it off, she is complaining of nasal congestion tonight... so she might need to get tested. But my point is that maybe not all hospitals/floors are in this situation, but there are certainly still issues with hospitals not having ppe to protect their staff, so if the hospitals are getting overwhelmed, it’s only going to get worse as the staff get sick
    Not sure what department your wife works in, but it's primarily the ICU beds that's the issue. People who are sick but aren't life-threatening aren't likely to be taking up hospital beds and will usually just be quarantining at home, but people who are so bad they need to be on some form of life support (ventilators, etc..) are going to need ICU beds. Of course some hospitals may convert "normal" rooms to ICU if possible, but that's not always feasible.

  5. #63185
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Not sure what department your wife works in, but it's primarily the ICU beds that's the issue. People who are sick but aren't life-threatening aren't likely to be taking up hospital beds and will usually just be quarantining at home, but people who are so bad they need to be on some form of life support (ventilators, etc..) are going to need ICU beds. Of course some hospitals may convert "normal" rooms to ICU if possible, but that's not always feasible.
    I’m not sure exactly what her floor does either, but I know her first Covid patient came in with something like respiratory failure. After they had stabilized the patient, the patient was supposed to go to rehab or something, which requires a Covid screening before admitting, and the patient tested positive... she sees other patients with varying issues as well. I do know that they assume their Covid patients are contagious, and don’t assign Covid nurses with patients that have compromised immunity systems.
    Last edited by swiftowner; 2020-11-01 at 03:32 AM.

  6. #63186
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,095
    Trump posts video of his supporters surrounding the Democrat's bus and adds "I LOVE TEXAS!"

    That is Trump supporting literal terrorism. Trying to change an election through the use of threats or force is terrorism. Trump is supporting terrorism.

    This...might be bigger than a 24-hour challenge.

  7. #63187
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump posts video of his supporters surrounding the Democrat's bus and adds "I LOVE TEXAS!"

    That is Trump supporting literal terrorism. Trying to change an election through the use of threats or force is terrorism. Trump is supporting terrorism.

    This...might be bigger than a 24-hour challenge.
    I want Texas to go blue even more now. Fuck these vanilla ISIS assholes.

  8. #63188
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    I want Texas to go blue even more now. Fuck these vanilla ISIS assholes.
    The official moniker is Ya'll Qaeda

  9. #63189
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Fuck these vanilla ISIS assholes.
    Y'all Qaeda.

    It's worth pointing out someting: 538 has kept track of Trump's approval/disapproval for every day in office.

    When he took the Oath of Office, to mostly empty crowds and lying to people that it was raining on that it wasn't raining on them, he had 45% approval 41% disapprove.

    Now, he is back up to 44% approval, back down to 53% disapproval.

    Trump has basically turned 12% of the country against him. They were undecided voters. THey seem pretty decided now. And the recent change, Trump getting like a percent or two back, is irrelevant to those that have already voted. Maybe he didn't lose much of his base (again, they are far more demoralized than Democrats, less likely to early vote/mail in votes because Trump said that was fraud, they might see the lines and bail), but he defiitely lost independents, moderates, and "they're both bad" voters.

    Trump Can Still Win, But The Polls Would Have To Be Off By Way More Than In 2016.

  10. #63190
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    22,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Y'all Qaeda.

    It's worth pointing out someting: 538 has kept track of Trump's approval/disapproval for every day in office.

    When he took the Oath of Office, to mostly empty crowds and lying to people that it was raining on that it wasn't raining on them, he had 45% approval 41% disapprove.

    Now, he is back up to 44% approval, back down to 53% disapproval.

    Trump has basically turned 12% of the country against him. They were undecided voters. THey seem pretty decided now. And the recent change, Trump getting like a percent or two back, is irrelevant to those that have already voted. Maybe he didn't lose much of his base (again, they are far more demoralized than Democrats, less likely to early vote/mail in votes because Trump said that was fraud, they might see the lines and bail), but he defiitely lost independents, moderates, and "they're both bad" voters.

    Trump Can Still Win, But The Polls Would Have To Be Off By Way More Than In 2016.
    Here's hoping that 12% of the country he pissed off have been going out to vote in spades.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  11. #63191
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    In NC, a group of protestors held an unofficial march -- they didn't get permits -- to encourage people to vote and decry police violence.

    The police pepper sprayed them.
    They had permits, and the march was planned in advance with the police aware and providing an escort, according to the reports on twitter from organizers. Given that this was a march to the polls to vote, the police engaged in voter intimidation. I hope the police actions are investigated.

  12. #63192
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Not sure what department your wife works in, but it's primarily the ICU beds that's the issue. People who are sick but aren't life-threatening aren't likely to be taking up hospital beds and will usually just be quarantining at home, but people who are so bad they need to be on some form of life support (ventilators, etc..) are going to need ICU beds. Of course some hospitals may convert "normal" rooms to ICU if possible, but that's not always feasible.
    I hope that isn't true in the US.

    One of the things people have learned from earlier is that it is better to treat patients with less intensive care; and thus there should now be a smaller percentage i ICU beds and more in normal hospital beds (possibly getting additional oxygen without ventilator, steroids, etc when needed), but with the possibility to quickly move them to ICU when needed.

  13. #63193
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Y'all Qaeda.

    It's worth pointing out someting: 538 has kept track of Trump's approval/disapproval for every day in office.

    When he took the Oath of Office, to mostly empty crowds and lying to people that it was raining on that it wasn't raining on them, he had 45% approval 41% disapprove.

    Now, he is back up to 44% approval, back down to 53% disapproval.

    Trump has basically turned 12% of the country against him. They were undecided voters. THey seem pretty decided now. And the recent change, Trump getting like a percent or two back, is irrelevant to those that have already voted. Maybe he didn't lose much of his base (again, they are far more demoralized than Democrats, less likely to early vote/mail in votes because Trump said that was fraud, they might see the lines and bail), but he defiitely lost independents, moderates, and "they're both bad" voters.

    Trump Can Still Win, But The Polls Would Have To Be Off By Way More Than In 2016.
    His approval numbers are still unbelievably way too high. What are 44% seeing in this fraud. I can't believe all of them just want to "own the libs". Or is the bar for acceptable just so low that you would have to literately shit the bed on live tv to limbo under it.

  14. #63194
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    His approval numbers are still unbelievably way too high. What are 44% seeing in this fraud. I can't believe all of them just want to "own the libs". Or is the bar for acceptable just so low that you would have to literately shit the bed on live tv to limbo under it.
    A good number of them are religious extremists who think Republicans are going to bring about a Christian US and ban abortion and gays. They would support any Republican.

  15. #63195
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    His approval numbers are still unbelievably way too high. What are 44% seeing in this fraud. I can't believe all of them just want to "own the libs". Or is the bar for acceptable just so low that you would have to literately shit the bed on live tv to limbo under it.
    That's the problem with cultists. Once the koolaid has been drank, it's over. No amount of sense will ever get through to them.

  16. #63196
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    His approval numbers are still unbelievably way too high. What are 44% seeing in this fraud. I can't believe all of them just want to "own the libs". Or is the bar for acceptable just so low that you would have to literately shit the bed on live tv to limbo under it.
    A few are trolls, but for the most part they're just poorly educated simpletons that are easily duped by fear laden propaganda. "God, Guns, and Country" is a slogan I've seen on a lot of Trump signs. These folks have been bombarded for decades with the idea that without the first two, the third will be lost. It doesn't matter who tells them those lies, they will swallow them up hook, line, and sinker.

  17. #63197
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    His approval numbers are still unbelievably way too high. What are 44% seeing in this fraud. I can't believe all of them just want to "own the libs". Or is the bar for acceptable just so low that you would have to literately shit the bed on live tv to limbo under it.
    A lot claim that Trump was good for the economy.

    I'm not saying that it's correct, merely that it's a common idea.

  18. #63198
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    A few are trolls, but for the most part they're just poorly educated simpletons that are easily duped by fear laden propaganda. "God, Guns, and Country" is a slogan I've seen on a lot of Trump signs. These folks have been bombarded for decades with the idea that without the first two, the third will be lost. It doesn't matter who tells them those lies, they will swallow them up hook, line, and sinker.
    Yeah but, 44%. America can't be this stupid. Or maybe it is and I am just fooling myself.

    It seems like my whole company of about 60 employees is Republican. And these are people I respect and joke around with. A few are gun nuts, a few hardcore christians. They can't say anything supportive of Trump. So I rarely hear his name as I walk around the office. But my god, the Fox News watercooler chatter about liberals coming for your rights and money has increased in the last few weeks. Everything from minimum wage boogymen to misinformation about healthcare policy.

  19. #63199
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Yeah but, 44%. America can't be this stupid. Or maybe it is and I am just fooling myself.

    It seems like my whole company of about 60 employees is Republican. And these are people I respect and joke around with. A few are gun nuts, a few hardcore christians. They can't say anything supportive of Trump. So I rarely hear his name as I walk around the office. But my god, the Fox News watercooler chatter about liberals coming for your rights and money has increased in the last few weeks. Everything from minimum wage boogymen to misinformation about healthcare policy.
    I think the worse part is that it is Trump if these people were following some charismatic smart politician that would be different but they have fallen for the equivalent of Mr. Bean. This goes to show you how powerful propaganda is, I know people who are voting for Trump educated and until now I thought smart people who spew that Fox News BS.

    It's part propaganda, part us versus them other part is that they voted for Trump in 2016 and they see any attack on him as an attack on themselves so they support him no matter what.

  20. #63200
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    A lot claim that Trump was good for the economy.
    Without evidence.

    The trade war with China failed, he never got the job growth rate he promised, he never got the GDP growth rate he promised, the deficit was ballooning out of control (and he did sign every budget...eventually), and Trump single-tiny-handedly created the biggest tax increase on Americans ever made, which depending on your income level, either ate into, or removed, any benefit from the tax cut for the rich.

    He did see unemployment lower, the DOW go up, and wage growth rise, but at an Obama-like rate for both.

    Then 2020 happened, and because Trump did not take the steps he claims he did, almost all of the above has been destroyed.

    If someone says "Trump was good for the economy" the question to ask is "How?"

    - - - Updated - - -

    Team Trump calls the latest economic report a "game changer" for Trump.

    "It's amazing," I paraphrase them, "all you have to do is ignore the first half of 2020 and call Q3 'growth' instead of 'partial recovery' and ignore all context and logic. Suddenly Trump is a mastermind who engineered massive GDP growth and the best bestiest best at everything."

    Just a reminder, 2020's GDP growth is still negative. Trump is still about to leave office with fewer jobs than he started. If you play blacjack for $100 ten times, and win three of them, you didn't win $300, you lost $400.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    This intrigues me
    Funny how you forgot to include the headline of the very article you posted, which you didn't post because you knew an asshole like myself would come along and mock you for it.

    "(bla bla bla) becomes a major campaign issue"

    No, it didn't.

    We've been over this for the last two weeks. Not only has this been covered, the fact that it's a nothing story has been covered, the fact that even Republicans admit it's a nothing story has been covered, and most importantly, even Trump has apparently admitted it's a nothing story. I posted that last one myself.

    There were no floodgates. Even the part you quoted begs the question "why are you creating a new thread about this already-covered topic two full weeks later, and claiming it's a major development?" If it was a major development, why weren't you talking about it two weeks ago? And why didn't it do anything?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Yet more on Trump's blatant hypocrisy.

    In the wide-ranging interview conducted Friday, Fauci said the U.S. was "in for a whole lot of hurt" going into the fall and winter, with people congregating at indoors. "You could not possibly be positioned more poorly," he noted.

    On presidential candidate Joe Biden's approach to the pandemic, Fauci said the Democrat's campaign "is taking it seriously from a public health perspective."

    President Trump is "looking at it from a different perspective," on "the economy and reopening the country," Fauci said.

    On Atlas, a radiologist, Fauci said: "I have real problems with that guy. He's a smart guy who’s talking about things that I believe he doesn’t have any real insight or knowledge or experience in. He keeps talking about things that when you dissect it out and parse it out, it doesn’t make any sense."

    Twitter took down a tweet by Atlas for making false claims about face masks in October. He also made false comments on herd immunity.

    White House Judd Deere said in a statement to news outlets, "It's unacceptable and breaking with all norms for Dr. Fauci, a senior member of the President's Coronavirus Taskforce and someone who has praised President Trump's actions throughout this pandemic, to choose three days before an election to play politics.

    "As a member of the Task Force, Dr. Fauci has a duty to express concerns or push for a change in strategy, but he's not done that, instead choosing to criticize the President in the media and make his political leanings known by praising the President's opponent."
    Let's address that bolded statement.

    How many times has Trump attacked Fauci? Was it before, or after, Friday? I think Trump attacked Fauci multiple times before Friday.

    Has Fauci praised Trump throughout the pandemic?

    Can anyone circle the part of Fauci's objective comments -- such as about Trump's focus on the economy -- that weren't true? (I'll grant his statements about Atlas are at least partially subjective, but Atlas' background is objective)

    Are statements like "it'll all go away by Easter" playing politics with the situation? Because I think Trump has downplayed the lethal outbreak he allowed (and was 700 deaths worth of responsible for) because he wanted his numbers to go up.

    And most importantly, can anyone point to the USA's situation with COVID-19 and say "this is going well"? Or is the best y'all can manage "It is what it is"?

    Two hundred thirty-thousand dead per JH, you know, a hospital filled with doctors, and both deaths and cases on the rise, and calling it out is playing politics? Get the fuck out of here. Maybe if Team Trump had done their job Team Trump wouldn't be whining about people pointing out they didn't do their job.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2020-11-01 at 01:06 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •