Quote Originally Posted by Aphelios View Post
    Late for the kill, early for the slaughter.
    ????????
    What?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Again: And? He has proven time and again he does not give a shit what anyone thinks and practically has to be held at gunpoint by his own administration to do or say anything that doesn't seem like it's 100% for his own gain. He's built his own audience over the past 4-5 years and pardoning these people caters to that audience. The same audience who buys all of his merch, attends his vanity rallies and will absolutely subscribe to his propaganda service if he's allowed to set one up (and rest assured there are still plenty of businesses willing to work for him to do so).
    And again, I don't think he's going to lose any merch-buying cultists by not pardoning them. You're seeing a gain there for him, but I just can't see it. I can only see a loss.

We may just have to agree to disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    ????????
    What?
    Don't mind the burner. It's just amping for more violence.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

*clears throat*

♫♫
    Lying through my teeth
    I hear the bell toll and think I'm screwed
    Caught in news cycles
    Confusion is nothing new
    Small hands, cold sweats
    Giant, fat behind
    Briefcase of felonies
    Crime after--

The Times, they feature me
    I've Tweeted too much abuse
    Then Twitter banned me
    You can't read what I wrote
    You all say "Go home"
    I start to whine
    The warrant has been signed

If I'm gone they can look and they will find me
    Crime after crime
    FBI, they will catch me, I'll be hating
    Crime after crime
    If I'm gone they can look and they will find me
    Crime after crime
    FBI, they will catch me, I'll be hating (I will be hating)
    Crime after crime
    ♫♫

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    And again, I don't think he's going to lose any merch-buying cultists by not pardoning them. You're seeing a gain there for him, but I just can't see it. I can only see a loss.

We may just have to agree to disagree.
    Actually, judging by some of the reactions I've seen from Parler quotes, some have been starting to question whether or not he has their backs and there are cracks in the base. But yes, I'm not willing to drag this discussion out any further, so we can agree to disagree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Items dropped by the insurrectionists have been collected for the Smithsonian as historical artifacts.

It's possible the FBI will dust them for prints first.
    I do hope they try and restore as much of the furniture as possible, rather than replacing or removing it.

The only long-lasting evidence of these fucks should be in the history books and legal records. That the petty damages of their failed coup can be mended.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crime after crime
    I'm guessing this beat out:
    1) Trolls Just Want To Have Fun
    2) Allllll Through the Riot
    3) the theme song for "the Goonianis"
    4) At Last (no need for alt title)
    5) Money Changes Everything (ditto)
    6) True Colors (hat trick)
    7) What's Going On (OH GOD INCEPTION)
    8) I Drove That Riot
    9) Who Let In The Riot
    10) She Bopped No no...even I'm not that big of an asshole

- - - Updated - - -

The Pope condemns the attack. The fuckin' Pope. Wait, that doesn't sound right.

Pope Francis has told an Italian broadcaster that he was “astonished” by the mob attack at the U.S. Capitol due to the democratic traditions of the United States.

The pope said in an interview with Mediaset that the private broadcaster is set to air on Sunday that even “in the most mature reality, there is always something that doesn’t work, people who take a path against the community, against democracy and against the common good.”

In a brief excerpt posted on Mediaset’s website on Saturday, Francis said , “Thank God this exploded” into the open “so it can be seen, so it can be remedied.”

“This must be condemned, this movement, regardless of the people” involved, he said of the rioting and violence on Capitol Hill on Wednesday.

“Violence is always like this, isn’t it?” the pontiff said. “No population can boast of not having one day a case of violence. It happens in history. But we must understand well, so as not to repeat it, learn from history, learn that groups...that are not well integrated into society, sooner or later will have these eruptions of violence.”

3) the theme song for "the Goonianis"
    That would be "The Boonies 'r' Giul-enough"

Also, thank you kindly for being probably the only one to get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump wants Giuliani on his Impeachment defense team.

This man is retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

This man is retarded.
    To be fair, his Impeachment trial is going to have very, very little to do with rule of law and standard courtroom proceedings.

It's all going to be a show anyway.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account

This man is retarded.
    I can't imagine Trump has many yes-man lawyers available, tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account

This man is retarded.
    That's not true Giuliani has many talents ranging from farting at inappropriate moments, to catching Coronavirus, to melting into a puddle right before your very eyes.

He's like the Alex Mack of the Trump party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    It won't make it to the Senate, right? He could ask for Giuliani, Eric Cartman and Lisa Simpson's perpetual motion machine to be on his defense, they'll never be used.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-tr...2a4dd5593ad3d4

He's going to his "THE WALL" on Tuesday, because I guess that's all he has left. His monument to his and America's racism.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    That's not true Giuliani has many talents ranging from farting at inappropriate moments, to catching Coronavirus, to melting into a puddle right before your very eyes.

He's like the Alex Mack of the Trump party.
    On the other hand, the Senate is probably the only court where Giuliani could successfully argue Trump's case. Since like 40 of them wouldn't vote to convict even if Giuliani straight up admits to everything (Which he very well might).

It won't make it to the Senate, right? He could ask for Giuliani, Eric Cartman and Lisa Simpson's perpetual motion machine to be on his defense, they'll never be used.
    Oh course it will... needs a simple majority in the House to make it to the Senate. This time there's a chance the Senate will vote to convict so as to bar from any future office, it honestly wouldn't surprise me and I sincerely hope for it.

This man is retarded.
    Which one? Giuliana is also directly tied to this. If Giuliani agrees and they can use anything he says during the trial as incrimination, for a real court of law followup trial, and it's rudy, he'll incriminate himself. Maybe Trump just wants a prison mate to named rudy instead of bubba.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

He's going to his "THE WALL" on Tuesday, because I guess that's all he has left. His monument to his and America's racism.
    For some reason upon reading this I immediately had a mental image of Trump walking up to and casually leaning against the wall, only for it to at first slowly, and then very quickly, tip over.

249,519 new cases, about 12k more than last Saturday but Missouri and Nebraska haven't reported yet. That will bring the total up by about 4k.

Top 10:

California: 47,398 new cases; 460 deaths
    Texas: 19,953 new cases; 337 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    New York: 14,505 new cases; 149 deaths
    Georgia: 11,926 new cases; 143 deaths (new record)
    North Carolina: 11,581 new cases (new record); 97 deaths
    Arizona: 11,094 new cases; 98 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 9,398 new cases; 247 deaths
    Ohio: 8,374 new cases; 55 deaths
    Massachusetts: 7,414 new cases; 89 deaths

Virginia also set new records for new cases and deaths.

As always the numbers are taking a downward turn for the weekend, but it's still the highest it's ever been on a Saturday. At this point I have to say we're pretty set up to hit 300k again next week. Perhaps a couple times. Depending on how bad the holiday bump is 350k is probably within sight in the next couple of weeks, especially thanks to the new strain that came over from the UK and has been detected in several states that is more contagious than the original (thankfully the vaccine seems to work for both).

3,235 deaths is about 650 more than 3 weeks ago (the next-highest Saturday total that wasn't affected by the holidays) and brings the total to 381,480. We will absolutely hit 400k in the next week. The 7-day average is still tainted a bit by the holiday lull but is already over 3.2k.

Related news:

The CDC director said the storming of the Capitol is likely a COVID-19 'surge event' that will 'have public health consequences--Pretty sure we already knew this considering most of them were happy to be posing mask-less in front of their felonies. As per usual, I have zero sympathy for them, but hate that their ignorance is going to cost the health/lives of people they come in contact with afterwards.

More cases of COVID strain first identified in U.K. found in New York--Buckle up, @Breccia. Good luck.

Pope Francis to have COVID-19 vaccine, says it is the ethical choice for all--What's the Venn diagram of anti-vaxxers and "Good Christians"? I'm betting there's about to be a lot of equivocating and faulty justifications coming along soon.

Stay safe, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Sedition is a felony with a max 20 year sentence.

Treason is punishable by death.
    There's a distinction? Well, treason then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

What could be more Trumpian than bragging about his failure to maintain an erection?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I can't imagine Trump has many yes-man lawyers available, tbh.
    Depends how far you're willing to stretch the definition of "lawyer".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

This man is retarded.
    What defense team? I don't even see how there is a need for any sort of presentation. This is literally an impeachment charge they can just put up for a vote without need of a trial tbh. Everyone saw what Trump did with him sending his people to congress to sack it.

10+ Year Old Account
    249,51Buckle up, @Breccia. Good luck.
    Thanks.

I haven't told my family, with whom I've been visiting since pre-Thanksgiving, that my county is, erm, "having a bad day". Unrelated: I got a Switch and Breath of the Wild today. Even in normal times, I might not leave the house for 2 weeks.

From CNN, because at this point why not: Now it's sinking in: Wednesday's Capitol Hill riot was even more violent than it first appeared

On Wednesday "the images broadcast were largely not the most horrifying ones of the day," MSNBC's Chris Hayes said Friday night. "Much of what we saw — silly costumes, people taking selfies, grabbing the speaker's lectern — looked like of kind a group that might even attend a Trump boat parade. But there was something way, way darker, more violent, more sinister, and more organized happening in that Capitol on Wednesday. And it's time we see it clearly."

On the internet, Hayes' segment was titled "Must-see new video shows Capitol riot was way worse than we thought."

He pointed out that "it is entirely possible that there were people in that crowd, looking to apprehend, possibly harm, and possibly murder the leaders of the political class that the President, and people like Mo Brooks, and even to a certain extent Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley, have told them have betrayed them."

It understandably took some time for journalists to digest what they'd witnessed and ingest their video from the Capitol. The Washington Post, for instance, produced a video titled "What it was like to report from a Capitol under siege."

The fuller videos that came out on Thursday and Friday provided much more detail. The Daily podcast from The New York Times played audio clips of rioters chanting "Where's Mike Pence? Where's Mike Pence? Where is Mike Pence? Find Mike Pence."

Progressive writer Mike Konczal, a director at the Roosevelt Institute, tweeted on Friday, "That the occupation of the Capitol was far more violent, and had the capacity for far more violence, than I understood while it was happening is the most jarring thing I've learned about the putsch over the subsequent days. It's terrifying."

Something else that was even worse than we knew at the time: The attacks against members of the media. Erin Schaff of The New York Times later described what happened when the mob saw her Times ID. "They threw me to the floor, trying to take my cameras. I started screaming for help as loudly as I could," she said. "No one came. People just watched. At this point, I thought I could be killed and no one would stop them. They ripped one of my cameras away from me, broke a lens on the other and ran away." She fled and found a place to hide.
    Should this come to trial, all of these accounts will be evidence. Anything caught on camera? Even worse/better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Oh course it will... needs a simple majority in the House to make it to the Senate.
    Yes, but I thought McConnell said "we won't return till the 21st".