Quote Originally Posted by Selvari7 View Post
    I mean with there pretty likely not being enough votes, now it's just theater.
    "It's just theater" is what pretty much all Trump supporters have been saying whenever he's called to answer for his crimes.

What's this impeachment really going to accomplish?
    Probably don't have the votes so it will largely be another symbolic "victory".
    Some kind of message needed to be sent that this kind of behavior from a president will not be tolerated, but I don't know how effective this will be. It also kind of lessens the power of an impeachment. I don't know how to feel about it.

So is there any chance at all that he'll speak?

If I was up there I'd be taking a page from his own book and taunt him openly. Call him a coward for not testifying and what not.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    So is there any chance at all that he'll speak?

If I was up there I'd be taking a page from his own book and taunt him openly. Call him a coward for not testifying and what not.
    He is a legal hazard to himself and he is aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Demonstrating to the public that the machinery of government is broken as is, providing greater justification for more comprehensive reforms to the system.

It's not fucking hard, lol. "It's just theater" - that's literally what half of politics is, sweaty; performing for an audience in order to mobilise them.
    If you're demonstrating to the public then why not focus on the new administration's agenda like fighting climate change, the pandemic, improving living conditions etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    It also kind of lessens the power of an impeachment.
    Please do explain this nonsense, rofl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

5+ Year Old Account
    If you're demonstrating to the public then why not focus on the new administration's agenda like fighting climate change, the pandemic, improving living conditions etc.
    How stupid to change the topic. Impeachment is about trumps actions while he was president.

Are you trumps lawyer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because serious action on all of those things is precluded by the systemic problems that this impeachment trial points out, sweaty.

Again, it's not difficult.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Because people can walk and chew gum at the same time. Biden ain't involved dude, and the House already finished their bit except for the Impeachment Managers. The Senate is dual-tracking appointee approvals and impeachment, I think they'll be able to do more than one thing at a time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Because people can walk and chew gum at the same time. Biden ain't involved dude, and the House already finished their bit except for the Impeachment Managers. The Senate is dual-tracking appointee approvals and impeachment, I think they'll be able to do more than one thing at a time.
    But no don't you see if we don't try and dismiss Trump and the GOP's actions as something that happened in the past then we might run the risk of there actually being meaningful consequences that would prevent the right wing from being more successful in their attempts to dismantle democracy. /s

I'm honestly beyond tired of crypto fascists and their facile idiot friends on social media. Oscar Wilde really was right about the only two types of people being charming or tedious, and the people trying to dismiss this trial fall into the latter category.

But no don't you see if we don't try and dismiss Trump and the GOP's actions as something that happened in the past then we might run the risk of there actually being meaningful consequences that would prevent the right wing from being more successful in their attempts to dismantle democracy. /s

I'm honestly tired of crypto fascists and their facile idiot friends on social media.
    The Republican argument of, "If you do this legal and Constitutional thing, just IMAGINE how we'll abuse the fuck outta it in bad faith!" is a terribly compelling one, for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    I'm sure the poster is talking about the over whelming evidence yet not enough Senators, Republicans, going to vote not to acquit.
    Oh, well then as others have said, it's about sending a message that the kind of actions that Trump took will not be tolerated. Well, not tolerated by rational people, at least. We all know the Republicans are not rational at this point.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...ump-poll-finds

MORE THAN TWO-THIRDS OF Republicans would consider joining a new political party led by former President Donald Trump if he decided to leave the GOP and form a new party.

A CBS News poll found that 33% of Republicans would join Trump's new political party and another 37% said they would "maybe" join the new party. Thirty percent of Republicans said they would not leave the GOP.
    "It's not a cult!"

Because serious action on all of those things is precluded by the systemic problems that this impeachment trial points out, sweaty.

Again, it's not difficult.
    Points out? You do realize there was weeks of media coverage on this already. How much more is regurgitating everything along with a negative vote going to accomplish?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    How stupid to change the topic. Impeachment is about trumps actions while he was president.

Are you trumps lawyer?
    Impeachment without the votes is very different to impeachment which has a chance to result in conviction. You do realize that right?
    Last edited by Selvari7; 2021-02-10 at 08:27 PM.

7+ Year Old Account

Impeachment without the votes is very different to impeachment which has a chance to succeed. You do realize that right?
    He's already been impeached, twice, you do realize that right?

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    He's already been impeached, twice, you do realize that right?
    Impeached without being convicted by the Senate doesn't mean that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Points out? You do realize there was weeks of media coverage on this already. How much more is regurgitating everything along with a negative vote going to accomplish?
    More than you whinging about it on a forum, for starters.

There wouldn't be media coverage if there wasn't a trial.

5+ Year Old Account
    Impeached without being convicted by the Senate doesn't mean that much.
    Sounds like an opinion

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Sounds like an opinion
    Nixon and Clinton would both probably disagree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karrotlord View Post
    Oh, well then as others have said, it's about sending a message that the kind of actions that Trump took will not be tolerated. Well, not tolerated by rational people, at least. We all know the Republicans are not rational at this point.
    Umm after reading the poster you replied too, Idk what the hell he is talking about.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!